- Copyright Videos
- Copyright Tools
- Public Domain Slider -- this is ONLY for works published first in the United States. The public domain "rules" we apply to U.S. published works do not apply to foreign works.
- Fair Use Evaluator -- useful to determine if copyrighted material you find online can be used under fair use)
- Fair Use Checklist -- Checklist help teachers make fair use decisions but they do not insulate from liability.
- Copyright and Primary Sources Tutorial from the LOC
- Code of Best Practices Center for Social Media
- Butler, R. P. (2011). Copyright for teachers & librarians in the 21st century. New York: Neal-Schuman Publishers. appendix has several flowcharts, directed toward using a specific kind of material in a certain kind of way -- it is difficult to construct an accurate and helpful flowchart or decision tree that applies to all types of materials in all settings.
General Copyright Questions
If you have any question that relates to copyright, contact the U.S. Copyright Office:
- FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
- Email: Ask a Copyright Question
- Phone: (202) 707-5959 or 1-877-476-0778 (toll free) Time: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday to Friday