Citation
FSSP Planning Conference agenda, August 29-31, 1984, with notes and cover letter

Material Information

Title:
FSSP Planning Conference agenda, August 29-31, 1984, with notes and cover letter
Creator:
Andrew, Chris
Place of Publication:
Gainesville, FL
Publisher:
Farming Systems Support Project
Publication Date:
Language:
English

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Annual reports ( jstor )
Recommendations ( jstor )
Personnel evaluation ( jstor )

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. This item may be protected by copyright but is made available here under a claim of fair use (17 U.S.C. §107) for non-profit research and educational purposes. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder. The Smathers Libraries would like to learn more about this item and invite individuals or organizations to contact Digital Services (UFDC@uflib.ufl.edu) with any additional information they can provide.

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:


Full Text



.'I -,Telephone: (904) 392-1965
Cable: CENTROP FSSP
"Fy--l ^Farming Systems Support Project

INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
University of Florida
3028 McCarty Hall
Gainesville, Florida 32611
Sept. 7, 1984


MEMO


TO: HUGH POPONOE, WENDELL MORSE

FROM: CHRIS ANDREW O A0

RE: FSSP CORE PLANNING CONFERENCE


For your record attached are notes from the recent core planning
conference. It was quite excellent. We met in two days for more than 22
hours and kept strictly to the attached agenda. It is amazing how much we
are doing. I know generally what is going on but a full report and
discussions are very informative. The results will be very hepful in
preparing the 1985-87 workplan.






cc Larry Zuidema
Jim Meiman
Dale Harpstead
FSSP Core


EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER












FSSP PLANNING CONFERENCE AGENDA


August 29

P.M. 6:00 Conference Overview - Chris 0. Andrew

6:15 Staff activity reports - all staff
Agenda adjustments, concerns for management, program,etc.

7:30 Dinner

August 30

A.M. 8:00 Summary of core activity - Chris 0. Andrew*

8:30 Duties and core assignments - Pete Hildebrand*
Management alternatives
Combining efforts(critical mass)
What is rotatable?

10:00 Break

10:30 Memory management: country, program, project-K. McDermott*

Data base management:
Biodata, reports, country data base, searches
priorities, storage and use of documents

12:00 Lunch - Discuss LAP time concept

P.M. 1:00 Reporting and Planning - Susan Poats*
Annual Report
85 Work Plan
Activity Reports
Quarterly and other cooperative agreement reports

3:00 Support for FSSP - Jim Jones*
Concept of SE support
Secretarial (incentives, promotion)
Graduate Students
Visiting scholars
Funded activities or efforts

5:00 Adjourn

8:00 Strenthening Agronomic Input in FSR/E
Evolution of FSR definition
Evolution of FSR purpose























August 31 Program Development

A.M. 8:00 Guidelines - Steve Kearl*

8:30 Training Units - Jim Jones - Dan Galt*

10:00 Break

10:30 Domestic Workshops - Jim Dean and Dan Gait - Jim Jones*

11:00 KSU Agenda - Jim Dean*

11:30 Evaluation of FSSP - Susan Poats*

12:00 Lunch

P.M. 1:00 Regional Strategy and Networks - Eugenio Martinez*

2:30 Briefing - De-Briefing - Pete Hildebrand*
FSR- Evaluation

3:30 Break

4:00 Recommendations reviewed - Lisette Walecka

5:00 Adjourn

* Designated as discussion leader/chair of session










FSSP Planning Conference Recommendations (08/84)


I. Management

A. Summary of Core Activity

1. There is a need to reorient the existing divisions of core
activities based on region and function. The exclusive functional
divisions of Training, Technical Assistance, and Networking should
be deemphasized. The specific responsibilities of core should be
organized under -regional divisions.

2. Each Regional Coordinator is the content coordinator of a region. A
region may mean a "sub-region" of a region. This person will be
responsible for the assignment of tasks in their region (including
Training, Technical Assistance, and Networking activities). All
"task doers" are responsible to the Regional Coordinator and must
report their activities to the Coordinator of a region.

3. There is a need for a "clearinghouse" person through whom all
general program related correspondence will pass, regardless of
region.

4. FSSP program emphasis should be more specifically program
development oriented, and tasks should be delegated to support
Vi entities. The role of the SE's should be strengthened as
"task-doers", and the role of the FSSP core should emphasize program
development.


B. Memory Management

1. Collection of Information
a. To facilitate the management of country specific information
within a region, files should be initiated on a decmate file using
the sort option to alphabetize (refer to Susan's sample document).
This should be done by country within regions making note of source
and date of each additional entry. Information should be noted as
in-house or out-of-house status. The file should be printed once a
month and purged from the system after the hard copy is filed in the
office country file by region. Copies of these print outs should be
sent to Pete Hildebrand.

b. More decmates are needed to facilitate the above and other
information handling efforts.

c. Two Chronofiles should be in exisitance in the main office. One
is "untouched" and the other is made available to the staff for
circulation. Effort should be made to see that all documents
produced in the office are chronofiled.









2. Storage and Use of Documents


* a. Susan will draft a document explaining the current situation of
KSU/DIU documentation systems. Comment needs to be made in the
newsletter stating that KSU is not a distribution center. KSU can
be accessed by DIU and the possibilities of DIU acquiring copies of
KSU materials should be investigated.

* b. Susan, Jim Dean, and Steve Kearl will form a committee on the
definition of the Role of Documentation (Should get KSU involved).

c. The topic of the amount of distribution related activity FSSP
will relate itself with needs to be addressed. There is a need to
determine the demand for supplying documentation and make -.-.
recommendations to AID to do it (not the FSSP responsibility).

d. FSSP will continue with the current policy for Country Book
development with African Studies. Perhaps this activity can be
expanded into other regions.

e. There is a need to address in greater detail the issue of Private
vs. Public collections of documents. This can be done at a Core
Meeting. Susan suggested the idea of establishing a Xerox Account
Policy for private library building.

3. Biodata

* a. Dan, Jim Dean, Lisette, and Teresa will meet to formulate a basic
statement of Biodata by the KSU meetings.

b. Parameters for searches (for refinement) can be increased.

c. Qualitative ranking of an individuals ability to preform in
related FSSP activities can be implemented using an in-house code.

d. Responsibility for solicited responses from SE's for information
included in the biodata file should be tied directly to the
Memorandum of Agreement in order to ensure greater response rates.


C. Reporting and Planning

1. Annual Report

* a. Chris, Steve, Jim Dean, and Lisette are responsible for
formatting the annual report. The format may be a short report with
many apendices. The basic outline is to be developed by the
committee, with the specific information (in detailed format) being
submitted by the content core. The report in basic outline form
(draft) should be ready for KSU meeting. The SE's should provide
input into the annual report. The Advisory Council has laid the
guidelines for this and FSSP only needs to implement.


2. Work Plan









* a. Dan, Susan, Jim Jones, and Ken, with input by Eugenio and Pete,
will draft a work plan to cover a three year period (85, 86, 87).
The 85 plan can be taken directly from the initial part of the three
year plan. The work plan should include the new orientation of the
roles of FSSP Core and SE's (Program Development vs. Task-doing).
The draft of this plan should be done by KSU meetings. The members
of the committee will meet and choose a leader.

b. The USAID S & T meeting in November should be rescheduled for
late October. This recommendation should be made to Wendell.

3. Activity Reports

a. Activity reports will be required for all international trips
funded by FSSP both by Core and non-Core personnel.

b. Requests for related trips may be requested of team members not
funded by FSSP, but not required.

* c. Lisette will draft a document explaining guidelines for activity
reports based on the format being presently used (with any
amendments based on feedback from core staff on previously sent
memo) to be sent to all SE's.

d. Similar guidelines are needed for Support Entity activities.


4. Quarterly Reports

* a. Quarterly reports will report FSSP progress giving a general idea
of the flow of activity (will be less "data-concious" than the
annual report). Chris is responsible for the quarterly report, and
he will designate one or two persons to review it.


D. Support for FSSP

1. Concept of SE Support

a. The role of the SE's should be more specifically defined to
improve in the optimum use of SE's for task delegation.

* b. Lisette will build on Dan's MOA's interest summaries already
begun. These summaries will be circulated to the SE's and direct
response will be solicited to update the summaries.

* c. At KSU Dan should solicit information from the PL's and PA's n
what they want to do and feel best qualified to do related to the
FSSP. Perhaps a meeting on strengthening the role of SE's should be
held at KSU.

* d. To facilitate communication between the FSSP and the SE's,
communications will go directly to PA's instead of just through the
PL's (Chris wants to discuss this further).

















e. FSSP must look for ways to support bilateral contracts through
various training, networking, and information backstop activities.

f. As an incentive, recognition should be given to individuals or
entities by FSSP or BIFAD for outstanding contributions to the
program. Information should be constantly collected as examples for
this.

g. Greater effort should be made to delegate tasks to SE's.


2. Secretarial

a. To reinforce -and improve internal office morale, all staf-f.will
be given the option to go by the first name basis. Opportunities
for secretarial staff to travel will be investigated.

b. Alternative "renamed" positions to accommodate institutional
limitations will be investigated.


3. Graduate Students- direct funding of Graduate assistance is
encouraged.

* a. Pete will prepare a strategy statement toward affirmative action
on matching funds for graduate assistants. He will urge the
administration to put overhead funds in(percentage is subject to
discussion) to support graduate students in areas related to the
program which brought in the money.


4. Visiting Scholars- emphasis should be put on optimum use of
resources of visiting scholars.

a. Effort should be directed toward a clearer definition of the role
of the visiting scholar, with more task specific oriented
guidelines. Using Eugenio's experience as an example, work on the
development of the visiting scholars background as discipline
strengthening within the FSSP.









II. Program Development


A. Guideline Preparation

* 1. Program Design (Ken)- Develop a basic FSR design with an adaptable
guideline. What are the characteristics of a good project design,
etc. To consider the methodology of Project Design.

* 2. Program Evaluation(Ken, FSR evaluation task)- To develop the basic
guidelines for evaluation.

* 3. Implementation

a. Livestock (Susan, Pete)

b. Alternative Methodologies (put on hold)

c. Cost Effectiveness (Pete, Dan, Rick Bernsten)

d. Research/Extension Linkages (Ken)

e. San Jose Book Companion Fieldbook (Dan, Pete, Jim Dean, Eugenio)-
Develop a "How To" manual that can be taken out to the field by the
practitioners. This manual would be a companion workbook for Pete's
book of On Farm Research-Layout of Farm Trials(agronomic).

* 4. Training

a. Subject (Jim Jones)

b. Institutionalization (Bob Waugh)


B. Training

* 1. Jim will send memos out to all core on the training unit results
from the "brainstorming" session.

2. A report of Jim's training memo should be given to the technical
committee.

3. The Core will meet Thursday, Sept. 6, to discuss training. The
topics will include discussions on strategy of implementation
including the following topics:

a. inclusion of Guru's

b. inclusion of CIMMYT/IRRI/ILCA/ or other international
organizations including Steve's contacts in Africa.

c. inclusion of individuals, not so much exclusively entities.

d. determine the guidelines for unit development by the time of the









workshop.


4. It was suggested to set off a two week period of Core time and
bring in outside resources for expertise. This supports the idea of
centralized program development in the FSSP. A strategy will be
developed for this activity by the Core.


C. Domestic Workshops

1. Domestic Workshop 1 (FSR/E Orientation)- The DWI will continue on a
periodic basis, at least once a year. It should be located in a
Support Entity for annual offering to AID personnel and others. An
effort should be made to incorporate graduate students. -.

2. Domestic Workshop 2 (On-Farm Research) and 3 (Research and Extension
Management)- Should utilize the results of the training units being
developed. The first ones are expected to be offered in July of
1985 at the University of Florida. The participants in these
workshops will then be responsible for future input upon returning
to their institutions. DW3 may not have to wait a year after DW2
but must have DW1 as a prerequisite.


D. KSU Agenda (general discussion- Steve and Chris will assemble agenda)

1. Plenary Session (Thursday morning)

a. Dan Galt will layout the "state of the art" of MOA, SE--FSSP
relationships and solicit responses on their concerns.

b. Discuss recent development of training, guidelines, etc.

c. Provide outline of coming activities(International etc.) and
layout tentative program.

d. Susan will make a statement on the intra-household issue.


2. AC's Meeting(Thursday, PM)

3. Technical Committee (Fri. 1:00; Sat. 8:00)

4. Assemble the National Project Leaders (Pete, Eugenio) -raise the
questions of what kind of T/A and Training is appropriate in each
area. Specifics need refinement.

5. Advisory Council with Chris (Wednesday, PM)

6. Intra-Household (Susan, Fri.)

7. Documentation (Susan, Monday breakfast)


8. Africa Strategy (Susan, during FSSP meeting).















9. Regional Groups (Ken)

10. Asia Task Force (Dan, Sunday night).

11. FSR project evaluation (Tuesday afternoon.

12. PL's (open depending on Plenary session).


E. Evaluation of FSSP

1. Do an internal assessment in the fall. Develop guidelines for the
evaluation. Include Dale Harpstead in the internal activity.


F. Regional Strategy and Network

1. Africa

a. Priority is proactive needs assessment and training.

b. Should have another core meeting to discuss issues. Need to
consider Qualitiy Control of FSR and competition between US
universities, private firms, etc.


2. Latin America

a. All core expertise should be periodically used.

b. Emphasis to be maintained on networking.

3. Asia

a. Strategy is based on Asian Strategy Advisory Committee, through
SE' s.

b. Asia meeting at KSU will include the debriefing of recent
interaction in Thailand, etc. and the structure of 1984.

c. Core representation is needed in initial visits for Asia (Dan or
Ken).






























III. Miscellaneous

A. Should have some Core seminars internally.

B. Agenda update meetings like the present one should be held on a somewhat
regular basis-monthly. These informal meetings will include all
staff and will rotate in location.

C. Seminar is needed to discuss "What really happens in AID?" The project
process.

D. LAP- Institute LAP time individually chosen and individually managed,
on a non-scheduled basis, being task oriented, and having designated
coverage only for "emergencies". Some reasonable lead time for LAPS
should be given (approximately 1 day).