xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID E9S6CF9D2_NZJHK7 INGEST_TIME 2011-04-25T13:43:08Z PACKAGE UF00097366_00149
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC
Gift of the Panama Canal VfcsH Vol 6 No. 11 BALBOA HEIGHTS, CANAL ZONE, JUNE 1, 1956 5 cents A LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE GOVERNOR OF THE ZONE William E. Potter Starts Busy Life As Head Of Canal Governor William E. Potter is receiving a thorough indoctrination this week into the busy life a Governor of the Canal Zone leads. Meanwhile, a comparatively large segment of his new employees and Isthmian residents have had brief glimpses of the man selected to head the Panama Canal organization for the coming four years. The new Governor arrived in the Canal Zone Tuesday afternoon, barely 24 hours after taking oath of office. This was administered in the Office of the Secretary of the Army who is designated representative of the President for the supervision of the administration of the Canal Zone Government and is the Stockholder of the Panama Canal Company. The Governor of the Canal Zone is ex officio President of the Panama Canal Company. Leaves Tomorrow For Omaha Governor Potter is scheduled to leave by plane early Saturday morning for Omaha, Neb., where he has been serving as Division Engineer of the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers Missouri River Division. He will return to the Canal Zone for permanent residence on June 20 aboard the Panama liner Cristobal, accompanied by Mrs. Potter and their two daughters, Jo Ann and Susan Ruth. The purpose of Governor Potter's trip to the Isthmus this week was to attend meetings of the Budget Committee of the Canal Company's Board of Directors to consider the Canal budget for the fiscal year 1958. Members of the Committee scheduled to attend were Robert P. Burroughs, Ralph H. Cake, and Maj. Gen. Julian L. Schley. Also here to attend the meetings are Edward A. Bacon, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil and Military Affairs who handles Panama Canal matters in the Office of the Secretary, and W. M. Whitman, Secretary of the Panama Canal Company. Meets Members Of Staff Despite the Memorial Day holiday in the Canal Zone on Wednesday, a busy fourday schedule had been arranged for Governor Potter this week. While subject to change, some of the principal aspects of his trip to the Isthmus when this edition of The Review was closed, are outlined below. Governor Potter had an opportunity to meet the principal members of his staff on the afternoon of (See page IS) MAJOR GENERAL WILLIAM E. POTTER Maj. Gen. William Everett Potter this week became the twelfth Governor of the Canal Zone since the permanent Canal operating organization was formed in April 1914 and the third President of the Panama Canal Company. Governor Potter succeeds Maj. Gen. John S. Seybold who took the oath of office as Governor of the Canal Zone on May 27, 1952. He is one of the youngest men to hold the office of Governor and is the only one to hold the rank of Major General in the TJ. S. Army Corps of Engineers when he took office. Four others, former Governors Goethals, Edgerton, Mehaffey, and Seybold, were promoted to Major General's rank while in office. Governor Potter is taking advantage this week of his visit to the Canal Zone to meet the principal members of his staff in the Canal organization and to orient himself generally with his new duties. Although he has never served in the Canal Zone, several of his old friends and former colleagues are here, including Lt. Gov. H. W. Schull, Jr. Two of those who previously have served with Gov. Potter are Col. Hugh M. Arnold, Director of the Engineering and Construction Bureau, and Anthony R. Nard, Chief of the Civil Engineering Branch of the Engineering Division. Colonel Arnold was his Executive Officer from 1948 to 1950 when the new Governor was Assistant Chief of Engineers for Civil Works. Mr. Nard worked with him from 1945 to 1948 in Kansas City. The new Governor is one of three who were only 50 years old when they assumed the top position in the Panama Canal organization. Governor Potter will be 51 on July 17. The other two 50-year-old Governors were Col. Chester Harding who became Governor in January 1917, and his immediate successor, Col. Jay J. Morrow who served as Governor from 1920 to 1924. Governor Potter was graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1928; five years later he received his Master's Degree in Civil Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has also attended the Army Engineering School, the Command and General Staff School, and the National War College. Rotating between civil works and military assignments, Governor Potter has had wide experience in (See page is)
THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW June 1,1956 Visit Of Presidents And OAS Meeting Centers World Attention On Isth mus night outside a New York theater soon after the latter's return from Europe. The General recalled his association with Mr. Green 20 years earlier in the construction of the Fox Conner Road to Camp Gaillard as well as his canoe trip through the Canal while stationed here. He promised to revisit the Canal Zone, actually making the trip only a few weeks later. Although the average American resident here will have a more personal interest in the visit of President Eisenhower, the commemorative meeting of the OAS is one of great significance, both from the historic and future viewpoints. Because of the great amount of interest which will be generated in the OAS meeting and the visit of the American Presidents, many Canal Zonians may wish to visit the site of the Panama Congress of 1826, since the hall in which the historic gathering took place is still standing. The building, which is being restored to its original appearance by the Panama Bolivarian Society, is adjacent to the San Francisco Church on the opposite side of the street from Bolivar Plaza toward the sea. This plaza is located in downtown Panama only a short distance from the better-known Cathedral Plaza. The building, known as Colegio San Augustin, which houses Bolivar Hall, was the capitulary hall of the Convent of St. Francis at the time that delegates from the several American Republics gathered at the invitation of Simon Bolivar. For many years later it was used as a schoolroom by the Catholic Order, being given to the Bolivarian Society in 1926, the 100th anniversary of the meeting which became known as the first Pan American Congress. The Panama Congress of 1826 has special significance in the history of the Panama Canal for it was that occaA WELCOME BEFITTING a General of the Armies Â— and a former Isthmian Â— was given to President and Mrs. Eisenhower when they last visited the Canal Zone in 1946. Here the President, then a five-star general, is waving to crowds at the Administration Building at Balboa Heights. Canal Zonians will have grandstand seats this month for one of the most spectacular gatherings ever held in the Western Hemisphere as well as one of great historic significance throughout the world. The event will be a meeting of the Organization of American States in commemoration of the 130th anniversary of the first Congress of American Republics called by Simon Bolivar, the great South American liberator. It will be climaxed on June 24 and 25 by the attendance of the majority of the Presidents of the 21 Republics at the invitation of President Ricardo Arias E., of Panama. Of special interest to the American residents in the Canal Zone as well as their fellow countrymen in Panama will be the visit of their Chief Executive, President Dwight D. Eisenhower, himself a former resident of the Canal Zone and a visitor here in August 1946. President Eisenhower will be the fourth President of the United States to visit the Isthmus while in office, the others being Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The visit will be the first, in 16 years by a President of the United States. The last was when President Franklin D. Roosevelt was here in February 1940, for his fourth visit while in office. Many Canal employees will recall the visit of President Eisenhower to the Canal Zone as General of the Army in 1946 soon after his triumphal return from the battlefields of Europe. While the welcome given him in New York on his return from Europe was bigger and louder, it was no more warm-hearted and enthusiastic than that in the Canal Zone as thousands lined the streets along which he and Mrs. Eisenhower drove in an open car through the Pacific side communities. While many changes have taken place in Panama and the Canal Zone during the past 32 years, many scenes he and Mrs. Eisenhower saw heie in the 1920's and again on their 1946 visit will be familiar ones. He and Mrs. Eisenhower lived from January 1922 until September 1924 at Camp Gaillard on the west side of the Canal which has long since been abandoned to the fast-growing jungle He was then a Major of Infantry serving as Personnel Officer with the 20th Infantry Division of Puerto Rico. An informal invitation to General Eisenhower to revisit the Isthmus and make another canoe trip through the Panama Canal was extended by the late George W. Green, then Municipal Engineer of The Panama Canal. Mr. Green encountered General Eisenhower one PRESIDENTS cf the American nations will meet this month in this historic building, the Colegio San Augustin, where the Panama Congress was held 130 years ago. The Colegio is adjacent to the Church of San Francisco on Bolivar Plaza; the hall where the 1S26 Congress was held can be seen at the left of this picture
June 1, 1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW 1 SIMON BOLIVAR Y PONTE, South American liberator, is honored by this statue near the National Theater in the eld section of Panama City. The statue was erected in commemoration cf the centennial of the Congress of 1826 when Bolivar called the American nations together in Panama City. sion on which the first official recognition was given by the United States of a need to join the two oceans through the narrow Isthmus of Panama. Although the possibility of a canal had been given consideration by Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and other leaders of the young nation, Henry Clay, then Secretary of State, urged consideration of the Panama Canal by the 1826 Congress. Although two United States delegates to the Congress were appointed by President John Quincy Adams, the appointments were not ratified by the Senate in time for them to attend. One of the delegates, Richard Anderson, died in Cartegena, Colombia, en route to the Congress, and the other, John Sergeant, did not sail from the United States because of the lateness of Senate action. Although the first definitive action by the United States toward the construction of a Panama Canal came to naught, it became one of the littleknown but interesting highlights in the long history of the international waterway which today serves the maritime traffic of the world. This original spark of official interest, however, was followed only a few years later by Senate and House resolutions urging action. The fruit of these expressions by Congress was the Treaty of 1846 with New Granada which guaranteed the United States and its citizens the right of free and open use of any mode of communication across the Isthmus, the first and precursor of the various treaties under which the Panama Canal today is operated by the United States Government. Annual Budget Review Being Made This Week By Board Committee Eight Insurance Firms Asked To Make Proposals For Group Health Insurance Eight insurance firms licensed to do business in the Canal Zone have been invited to submit plans for group health insurance for U. S.-rate employees in the Canal organization. The insurance companies have been furnished various data on which to base their offers, including a summary of the results obtained in the questionnaires furnished all employees. Approximately Although there are still a few oldtimers in the organization who began work while the Canal was being built, approximately half of those now employed were born after the Canal was opened in 1914. More than half of the United States citizens employed on the Panama Canal rolls are between 35 and 50 years of age. This odd bit of interesting information came to light in a recent survey of age groups prepared in connection with the proposed plans for group health insurance. Of the 3,717 employees covered in the survey 1,912 are between 35 and 50 years in age. In the chart of employee ages from 18 to 62 years, the curve describes an almost perfect parabola with the apex being in the 41-45 group. There are only 24 employees between 18 and 20 years old, while 81 are over 60 years of age. The numbers rise gradually from these two lows. half of the employees now in service completed and returned the questionnaires and the tabulation of their replies indicated that approximately 95 percent are interested in participating in a group hospitalization plan. The questionnaires were prepared by. a Hospitalization Insurance Committee appointed by the Governor to determine if there is sufficient interest among U. S.rate employees for such a plan and to determine the approximate cost. F. G. Dunsmoor, Administrative Assistant to the Governor, is chairman of the committee and L. M. Brockman, Programs Coordinator, is secretary. Members representing the Canal organization are E. A. Doolan, Personnel Director, and Floyd Baldwin, Chief of the Fiscal Division. Thomas Sellers and Charles McG. Brandl represent Civic Councils on the committee, and Shepard S. Clark is labor representative. The questionnaires were prepared so that "yes" or "no" answers could be given to all questions. Some of the pertinent questions and the numbers of replies received were: Do you favor a hospitalitalization insurance plan ? Would you participate at a reasonable cost with maximum coverage? Would local-coverage-only satisfy your requirements? Would coverage here and Yes 1,581 1,571 No 80 63 EDWARD A. BACON 154 1,418 The annual review of the Canal budget and capital expenditures proposed for the coming fiscal year is being made this w : eek by the Budget Committee from the Board of Directors. Morning and afternoon sessions were scheduled for three days in the Board Room of the Administration Building. Attending the sessions again this year is Edward A. Bacon, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army, who has visited the Isthmus on several previous occasions during the past three years. Three Board members, Maj. Gen. Julian L. Schley, Robert P. Burroughs and Ralph H. Cake, and W. M. Whitman, Secretary of the Company, are here to attend the meetings. General officers of the Company on the Isthmus who are attending the sessions are Lt. Gov. H. W. Schull, Jr., Vice President, and Philip L. Steers, Jr., Comptroller. Meetings of the Board's Budget Committee on the Isthmus have been held annually for the past few years. The meetings provide an opportunity for the Committee members to meet personally with the various Bureau Directors and other members of the Governor's staff, at which time budget plans for the individual units are presented for review. Following the Committee's review here the budget will be presented to the full Board for approval before its submission to the Bureau of the Budget. 70 days in the U. S. for you and your family at $4 to $5 a month be attractive enough to warrant your participation?. 1,370 208 Of those returning the questionnaires, 1,244 indicated they would prefer insurance with higher monthly premiums to cover major medical and surgical treatment, while 244 voted for lower premiums with minimum coverage for treatment. Of over 1,600 replies received, 1,318 said they want coverage for themselves and their families. In forwarding the material to the various insurance firms, the committee said that payroll deductions (See page is
THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW June 1,1956 Successful School Year Ends Next Week For 6,915 Students GUS MELLANDER, left, who was recently elected president of the Canal Zone Junior College Student Association, shakes hands with the defeated candidate, Antonio Noboa. With them are their campaign managers, Michael Zimmerman, center left, and John Thomas. The last school book will be read and the last report card for the 1955-56 school termwill be given out next week to 6,915 boys and girls in the Canal Zone U. S. schools. Schools will close officially Friday, June 8, for the vacation period ending September 6. For 248 students in the Cristobal and Balboa High Schools and for 38 in the Canal Zone Junior College, next week will be graduation week. Commencement exercises for the students graduating from Balboa and Cristobal High Schools will be held Thursday evening. The Balboa High School ceremony will be held at 8 o'clock in the Balboa Theater; the Cristobal exercises will be held at 8 o'clock in the High School Auditorium; and the Junior College graduation will be held at 10:30 Thursday morning in the Balboa High School Library. Baccalaureate services will be held for all three graduating classes Sunday, June 3. Junior High Exercises Closing day exercises for the students in the eighth grade of Balboa Junior High School will be held at 1:30 o'clock next Tuesday afternoon in Balboa Theater. For the eighth grade students of Cristobal Junior High School, Class Day exercises are scheduled for 5 o'clock Tuesday afternoon in the High School Auditorium. There are more high school honor students this year than ever before. Of the class of 176 graduating from Balboa, 38 are honor graduates. In Cristobal there are 16 honor students in the class of 72. During Awards Day ceremonies in May a number of students received honors for high scholastic averages as well as for prominence in numerous extra-curricular activities. In January, official notification was received that the Balboa and Cristobal High Schools would continue to be accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. The accreditation of the two high schools, covering the period to December 31, 1960, means that graduates will be accepted for admission to most colleges without entrance examinations or other qualifying rules. Formal notification of the Junior College accreditation was received in May. At the beginning of the school year, two organizational changes in the Division of Schools were made. They included the consolidation of principalships of several elementary schools and the elimination of a separate Physical Education and Recreation Branch. Combined Administration In addition to the changes in the elementary schools, the administration of the Balboa Senior and Junior High Schools was combined under the principal of the Balboa Senior High School, who is assisted by two assistant senior high school principals. Increased physical education activities in all the elementary schools was a prominent feature in the year's program and in line with this expanded physical education program, kindergartens were moved during the year from the gymnasiums at Diablo Heights and North Margarita to other buildings. Several physical changes were made in the school plants. One of the most important was the sound conditioning of some rooms in the Diablo Heights Elementary School, which was carried out as an experiment. Several of the schools were painted and the buildings at Ancon, Balboa, and Gatun were rewired to improve the quality of classroom lighting. Summer Recreation Program As in other years, the Division of Schools has planned an extensive summer playground program for the benefit of those boys and girls who will not be leaving the Isthmus during the vacation months. The program will start June 18 and will continue until August 31. Registration will be held at all gymnasiums June 13, 14, and 15 during regular office hours. Activities to be offered during the summer will include swimming, tennis, basketball, archery, volleyball, shuffleboard, newcomb, kickball, table tennis, tumbling, bowling, handicraft, and supervised play. The blue flag bearing the white letters P. C. has been in use on the Canal's marine equipment since 1915. Miss Kam Named To Receive Highes t Award Of College Miss Virginia Kam will be given the Canal Zone Junior College Honor Award next Thursday at the graduation ceremonies. The award is the highest given by the College. It is presented each year to the member of the graduating class of the Canal Zone Junior College who has contributed most to its spiritual, intellectual, and extra-curricular life. Miss Kam will have her name inscribed on a plaque at the entrance to the college building along with the names of 21 other young men and women who have been similarly honored. The plaque was presented in 1935 by the first class which was graduated from the Junior College. Born in Colon, Miss Kam is the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. William Kam of Colon. She attended high school in Cristobal for two years and was enrolled in Balboa High School during The maximum civilian population of the Canal Zone was 61,279, in 1912. VIRGINIA KAM Junior College Honor Graduate her junior and senior years, graduating fifth in her Class of 1954. During the time that she has been in Junior College, she has been a member of Phi Theta Kappa; the National Junior College Honor Society; a member of the Student Association Executive Council; secretary of the Freshman Class; president of the Sophomore Class; member of the Tropical Collegian staff for two years, and of the college yearbook staff during her sophomore year. She also has been a member of the Canal Zone Junior College Chorus and has been active in sports. Miss Kam has been majoring in secretarial science and after her graduation, expects to continue her studies in the Gradwohl School of Laboratory Technique where she will take a course in medical technology. The names of the other Honor Award winners follow in chronological order, beginning with the first in 1935: Fred E. Banan, Jr., Marjorie Ann Young, Winnie Frances Anderson, Mary Margaret Haw, Ruth Curtis Wright, Tomas Paredes, Bert Jack Shelton V., Mary Ann Hunt, Eleanor J. Sullivan, Virginia Rose Keenan, Mrs. Shirley Dyer Cutter, Alice Fairbrother, Leona Ruth Smith, Robert R. Harvey, Jr., Alice J. Sullivan, Jennifer Lee, Frances Farrell, Patricia Kelly, Yvonne Kuperman, Hector Miranda, and William Bingham.
June 1, 1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Canal's Only Traffic Engineer Says Psychology And Highway Grades Are Both Vital In His Work Melvin Bierman believes the study of psychology and human behavior is highly important in the scholastic training of any traffic engineer as well as the study of engineering. Highway grades and curves, knotty parking problems, stubborn pedestrians, and reckless drivers can cause accidents either singly or together, he says. For this reason, it is important to recognize the probable reaction of drivers and pedestrians to any given traffic condition. Mr. Bierman is one of the relatively few "singletons" in the Canal service and is the subject of this, the third in a series of Review articles on persons who are the only ones of their kind employed. His philosophy about psychology and safe driving has been arrived at by his college training and over six years experience as a traffic engineer here and in the States. A native of St. Louis, Mo., he was graduated from Washington University in his home city and then took a year of postgraduate work in traffic engineering at Yale University. Employed In St. Joseph After two years service in the U. S. Navy during the war, he was employed in 1950 as traffic project estimator on the St. Louis expressway project. Six months later he went to St. Joseph as City Traffic Engineer and held that job until his employment in April 1953 as Traffic Engineer in the Engineering and Construction Bureau. As a profession, traffic engineering is a relatively new field. There was little need for, and certainly little thought given to, traffic problems only a few decades ago. They were not acute in the days of rutted roads and hitching posts. Many of the problems today stem from that era since roads and streets were built to accommodate wagons and buggies. Many of these old streets are still in use even though paved. The traffic engineer of today has to cope with this problem complicated by 100-miles-an-hour automobiles. Since he holds the only job of its kind in the Canal organization, Mr. Bierman finds his time fully occupied and does business with a diversity of individuals MELVIN BIERMAN Traffic Engineer and organizations. In the broad outline, some of his duties are: To keep under a continuing study the volume and movement of traffic throughout the Canal Zone; To review plans for the construction of new streets; To work with the Building Sites Committee in determining if a proposed building will bring new traffic or parking problems which might be avoided; To answer complaints on traffic conditions and hazards; To keep under constant scrutiny the Traffic Rules and Regulations which were recently completely revised; To work closely with other Canal units, such as the Police, Safety, Maintenance, Schools, and other divisions or units on a variety of problems; To assist and advise on traffic problems such organizations as the PTA, Civic Councils, The Federal Safety Council, and others interested in this phase of community life; and To coordinate his work with that of the Armed Services and the National Guard of Panama where mutual problems exist. Although the traffic problems in the Canal Zone are myriad, they are generally less acute than those in a big city of today. Mr. Bierman thinks the worst trouble spots in traffic on the Pacific side today are the Tivoli Avenue-J Street intersection in Ancon; the Balboa CommissaryService Center area; and the area in and around the intersection of Frangipani Street and Gaillard Highway in Ancon. He expects traffic conditions in the latter area to be considerably improved when the street work and installation of traffic signalsÂ— in progress now is completed. On the Atlantic side, he put his finger on the map where Cristobal Commissary is located and said the parking of cars in that congested area is the knottiest problem. This will, of course, cease to be a vexation after the Commissary is closed. However, this event will only transfer the problem to Margarita and this is one of those future questions on which he will work with other Canal people concerned. In his daily dealings with the public, Mr. Bierman says that the commonest complaints or requests are for reduced speeds in residential areas so children can play in the streets (which gives him and the Zone Police cold shivers), and for additional crosswalks at street intersections. If all the requests for the latter were granted, he says, vehicular traffic would be brought to a virtual standstill. Crosswalk Privilege Abused On the subject of marked crosswalks, he deplores abuse of the privilege by pedestrians who fail to observe common courtesy rules by stepping off the curb when an approaching car is near the crosswalk, by needlessly stopping a stream of traffic, and similar infractions of courtesy. Not all of Mr. Bierman 's days are saddened by traffic problems. He is specially gladdened when he sees some improvement or solution to a given problem. On this side of the ledger, he is already pointing with pride to the new-type trafficactuated signals which are to be installed at the four traffic intersections and two grade crossings formed by Gaillard Highway, Walker Street, and Diablo Road. These, he believes, will be a delight to the motorist and materially speed up traffic. The new traffic (See page 12) ONE OF the worst traffic trouble spots on the Pacific side, in the opinion of the Canal Company's Traffic Engineer, is this intersectionÂ— the Tivoli Avenue-J Street corner near the Ancon post office. Between 4 and 5 p. m. on week days traffic is exceptionally bad.
THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Junel, 1956 FOR YOUR INTEREST AND GUIDANCE IN ACCIDENT PREVENTION PARA ISO SAFETY FIELD DAY On April 21, 1956, the Paraiso CivicCouncil sponsored its second annual Safety Field Day. Following the raising of the American Flag and the Safety Flag on the new flagpole situated on the bank of the Canal behind the Service Center, Ellis L. Fawcett, President of the Council, made appropriate opening remarks before introducing G. 0. Kellar, Chief of the Panama Canal Company Safety Branch. Mr. Kellar expressed his sincere appreciation to the Council, and the Committee which was headed by Alfonso E. Alexis, for the splendid work they accomplished. Mr. Kellar then introduced the principal speaker, Col. Charles 0. Bruce, Health Director for the Canal Zone Government. In his talk, Colonel Bruce pointed out that "what we call accidents are really events Â— predictable events, and if they can be predicted, they can be prevented." Colonel Bruce further said: "No set of rules can substitute for common sense and good judgment in the prevention of accidents." The 29th Division Band, under the di-< 'jh HONOR ROLL Bureau Award For BEST RECORD APRIL ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION BUREAU HEALTH BUREAU CIVIL AFFAIRS BUREAU YOUNGSTERS had their chance to show that they are concerned with safety when they demonstrated safe bicycling at Paraiso's Second Annual Safety Day. AWARDS THIS CALENDAR YEAR Civil Affairs 3 Health 3 Engineering and Construction 1 Supply and Employee Service 1 Transportation and Terminals 1 Marine Division Award For NO DISABLING INJURIES APRIL COMMISSARY DIVISION HOSPITALS AND CLINICS MAINTENANCE DIVISION SERVICE CENTER DIVISION DREDGING DIVISION INDUSTRIAL DIVISION ELECTRICAL DIVISION RAILROAD DIVISION MOTOR TRANSPORTATION DIVISION STOREHOUSES DIVISION AIDS TO NAVIGATION SANITATION DIVISION AWARDS THIS CALENDAR YEAR Aids to Navigation 4 Motor Transportation 4 Sanitation 4 Service Center 4 Storehouses 4 Commissary 3 Electrical... 3 Hospitals and Clinics 3 Industrial 3 Maintenance 3 Railroad 3 Dredging 2 Navigation 2 Housing and Grounds 1 Terminals 1 Locks rection of Lt. William Bradberry, played during the opening ceremonies, and selections were sung by the Fine Arts Choral Group, directed by MauricioH. Heywood. Many interesting safety exhibits and demonstrations were presented by the various divisions of the Canal Zone Government-Panama Canal Company, as well as the Army. Ribbons were awarded the Housing and Grounds, Service Center, and Maintenance Divisions. The Fort Clayton Civil Defense Distaff First Aid Team tied with the Maintenance Division for first place in the First Aid Contest, with the Paraiso Civil Defense Distaff Team second, and the Motor Transportation Division third. A line-throwing contest conducted by the Locks Division proved to be a big attraction and expert heaving-line throwers were selected from the three Locks to compete. Points were scored for distance, accuracy, and height, as well as fotm. Manuel Rodriguez of Miraflores Locks won first place; Juan Gorzon of Miraflores second; and Esteban Canizales, of Pedro Miguel, was third. We turn the Safety Spotlight on the town of Paraiso, its Civic Council, and its Safety Committee. They, together with the Safety Committeemen of the various Bureaus and Divisions and the Safety Personnel of the Army, are deserving of congratulations for the time and effort they gave to making their Safety Field Day such a success. APRIL 1956 Engineering and Construction Bureau Health Bureau Civil Affairs Bureau Supply and Employee Service Bureau C. Z. Govt. -Panama Canal Co. (This Month) Transportation and Terminals Bureau Marine Bureau C. Z. Govt.-Panama Canal Co. ( Last 3-Year Av.) Number of Disabling Injuries 6 Disabling Injuries per 1,000,000 Man-Hours Worked (Frequency Rate) 10 20 Id O Â£ ., . | ::->:.1 I a I sr i 3 i 3 i 6 11 i i 10 Â£0 30 Man-Hours Worked 2,322,748 LEGEND Amount Better Than Canal Zone Government Â— Panama Canal Company Last 3Year Average Amount Worse Than Canal Zone Government Â— Panama Canal Company Last 3Year Average RSSSSS8a Accumulative Frequency Rate This Year
June 1, 1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW OF CURRENT INTEREST Official Panama Canal Company Publication Published Monthly At BALBOA HEIGHTS, CANAL ZONE Printed by the Printing Plant Mount Hope, Canal Zone William E. Potter, Governor-President H. W. Schull, Jr. Lieutenant Governor William G. Arey, Jr. Public Information Officer J. Rufus Hardy, Editor Eleanor H. McIlhenny Assistant Editor SUBSCRIPTIONÂ— $1.00 a year SINGLE COPIESÂ— 5 cents each On sale at al! Panama Canal Service Centers, Commissaries, and Hotels for 10 days after publication date. SINGLE COPIES BY MAILÂ— 10 cents each BACK COPIESÂ— 10 cents each On sale, when available, from the Vault Clerk, Third Floor, Administration Building, Balboa Heights. Postal money orders should be made payable to the Treasurer, Panama Canal Company, and mailed to Editor, The Panama Canal Review, Balboa Heights, C. Z. CHIEF SURGEON FIRST CIVILIAN' to head the Surgical Service at Gorgas Hospital since 1945 i3 Dr. Evganie P. Shirokov, above. Dr. Shirokov, who has been on the Gorgas Hospital staff since 1948 with the exception of a year of study at Memorial Hospital in New York, wa3 appointed last month to succeed Col. William W. Nichol who was reassigned to Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio, Tex. The new chief surgeon was born in Harbin, China, and is a graduate of the University of California Medical School. He has had training at Johns Hopkins, Miriam Hospital in Providence, and Memorial Hospital in New Y'ork. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Surgery. Governor' s Goodbye CADETS from the Junior ROTC unit of Balboa High School formed a guard of honor at the Balboa Heights railroad station May 19 when the outgoing Governor, and Mrs. J. S. Seybold, boarded a special motor car enroute to the Panama liner aboard which they sailed for the United States. As the Seybolds left Balboa Heights the Balboa High School band played Auld Lang Syne. Another guard of honor, this one from the Cristobal High School ROTC unit, was drawn up at shipside in Cristobal where the Cristobal High School band played the final Auld Lang Syne as the SS Ancon pulled away from the pier. Although the Balboa Theater is being completely redecorated interiorwise, it continues to show its nightly movie performances without interruption. A condition in the contract, held by the Tropical Paint Company, called for the work to be done so that there is no interference with the movie shows. The contractor is using scaffolding which can be removed each day. The theater itself, the foyer, and the lobby are all scheduled for repainting. The color scheme is not being changed and the murals will not be redone. The work is to be completed before June 30. Repainting of the Balboa Theater is one of several maintenance projects now underway in the Service Center Division. Others include replacement of part of the Balboa Service Center roof, installation of a tile floor and wainscoting in the Service Center Bakery, and repainting of the Balboa Service Center kitchen, lobby, and dining and soda fountain areas. of licenses, by the License Section of the Civil Affairs Bureau. The cost of renewal, as in past years, is Si. Renewal forms and forms for original applications are available at the License Section at the Civil Affairs Building on Gaillard Highway. Householders who requested that topsoil be delivered to their homes some weeks ago and now find themselves unable Â— for lack of time or other reason Â— to spread it over their lawns or flower beds may ask to have this dirt removed. According to officials of the Housing and Grounds Division, a recent survey of the Pacific side showed that some of the topsoil, delivered in March, was still in the piles in which it had been dumped. The weight of the earth and the lack of sunlight are killing the grass underneath. The topsoil which will be removed from quarters where it cannot be used will be redistributed to those whose requests for dirt could not be filled at the time the deliveries were made several weeks ago. In other cases, where the topsoil has been distributed, it has been mounded around plants and shrubs. According to Walter R. Lindsay, agronomist, this is detrimental to the plants. The excess topsoil will either kill plants around which it has been heaped or will force the roots upward where they will suffer during the next dry season. Hunting and Gun Club permits, which are issued on an annual basis, expire this month and must be renewed by June 30, according to officials of the Civil Affairs Bureau. Heretofore, the hunting licenses have been issued by the Canal Zone Police. Now they are being issued, as are all other types Registration for the 1956 summer session of the Canal Zone Junior College will be held next Thursday in the Canal Zone Junior College office from 12:45 to 4:15 p. m. and from 6:30 to 8:30 p. m. Classes are scheduled to begin June 11 and will continue until August 4. Morning classes will include business and commercial subjects, engineering, English, history and social studies, mathematics, and Romance languages. During the late afternoon and night, classes are scheduled in business and commercial subjects, English, engineering, history and social studies, mathematics, and Romance languages. With the exception of morning engineering classes and the course in auto mechanics, which are to be held Saturday mornings from 8 a. m. to 12 noon, all summer session classes are scheduled for Mondays and Thursdays. Courses which fail to enroll at least 10 students on registration day will be canceled, it was announced. One woman doctor is among the 16 new interns due to arrive in the Canal Zone during June from various medical schools in the United States to begin a year's training at Gorgas Hospital. She is Dr. Gloria S. Garner, who was graduated this year from Tulane University. The names of the other new interns and the schools from which they were graduated follow: Dr. Ralph E. Payne, University of Oklahoma; Dr. Martin R. Plaut, Boston University; Dr. Charles A. Rockwood, Jr., University of Oklahoma; Dr. Everett R. Rhoades, University of Oklahoma; Dr. Floyd L. Pollard, Jr., Baylor University; Dr. Robert N. Smith, University of Kansas; Dr. Gerald L. Ehringer, Tulane University; Dr. Clifford S. Reusch, University of Kansas; Dr. Irving D. Bornstein, University of Virginia; Dr. Ralph E. Adams, University of Oregon; Dr. Robert H. Buker, Colorado University; Dr. Benjamin P. Keitzman, University of Indiana; Dr. Norman Schlager University of Colorado; Dr. Chester L. Trent, University of Kansas; and Dr. John K. Sass, University of Iowa.
THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW June 1,1956 CHASE MANHATTAN'S Balboa branch stands at the corner of Balboa Road and Barnebey Street, on the site of the old Balboa Post Office. First occupied in August 1940, it was later enlarged. Chase Manhattan Handles Varied Banking Business For Canal And Zone Residents United States coin and currency brought to the Isthmus. During the construction period, the Isthmian Canal Commission imported the coins and currency for its own needs, but The Panama Canal discontinued this practice some years after the waterway was opened. As early as 1933, Chase Manhattan then simply the Chase National Bank was bringing currency in million-dollar lots to the Isthmus. A newspaper story of that period reported that six small boxes were all that were needed to hold $1,000,000 which had been shippped via Pan American Airways to the Chase Bank in Panama. Currency Destroyed The bank's officers have also had a part in the destruction of unfit currency. Today, dirty and tattered old bills are returned to the United States to be destroyed by the Treasury Department. But between 1941 and 1945 when submarines lurked in the Caribbean, plane schedules were not what they now are, and the Axis wouldn't have cared how old or dirty a United States bill if they could only get it into their hands, the Canal Zone's worn-out currency was burned in the furnaces of the Mechanical Division in Balboa. Louis Gomez, now an Assistant Vice President of Chase Manhattan but then Manager of the Balboa branch; his counterpart from the National City Bank; the Finance Officer of the Army; and the Paymaster for The Panama Canal spent many hours sitting by the furnace, making sure that every bill was burned down to the past penny. It was a hot, all-day job. Four Different Names The bank which is now known as The Chase Manhattan Bank has operated in the Canal Zone under four different names. It was, first, the Commercial National Bank. In 1917, the Cristobal branch was transferred to the American Foreign Banking Corporation and other branches opened in the Republic of Panama. In 1925 the name of the bank became the Chase National Bank of New York and, last year, after a merger with the Bank of Manhattan Company, the parent of the Canal Zone's branches became the Chase Manhattan Bank. The Isthmian branches have successfully weathered the changes of name, and signs and stationery have been altered to the new nomenclature. The grillwork on the windows of the Balboa branch, however, still bears the intertwined initials "CN" although it would be a safe bet that not one visitor in a thousand realizes it. Oldtime Isthmians believe that the Chase Bank has undergone a number of metamorpheses in its character as well as in its name. In its first phase, it was a friendly, definitely informal bank -witness its first deposit which offered some services which may have been unique in banking circles. Pacific siders, who banked at the branch in Panama City long before there was a bank in Balboa, recall that when they went on vacation they used to leave a deposit at the bank to cover their standing order for lottery tickets. A bank messenger bought the tickets; the One day, in 1915, a dray loaded with silver pesos pulled up alongside the Masonic Temple building at the corner of Bolivar Avenue and 11th Street in Cristobal. The carter unloaded his precious cargo into the newly-opened Commercial National Bank, told bank officials that the money was to be credited to a certain private account, and that the depositor would be along later. That drayload of pesos was the first deposit in what is today the Cristobal branch of the Chase Manhattan Bank, one of two branches maintained in the Canal Zone by the parent bank in New York City. Chase Manhattan's connections with the Isthmus are several years younger than those of the other banking institution which has branches in the Canal Zone, the First National City Bank of New York, but paradoxically Chase's Cristobal branch was the only bank in the Canal Zone for over 20 years. The first bank in the Canal Zone was in Empire where the International Banking Corporation, now the First National City Bank of New York, opened a branch in 1908. This branch was closed about a year before the day, in 1915, the cartload of silver pesos opened the banking services of the Commercial National Bank in Cristobal. Construction-Day Banking Under its former name, Chase Manhattan's connections with the Isthmus predate by several years its physical presence here. Old Canal Zone files contain a letter from Commercial National's Washington offices to W. W. Warwick, Examiner of Accounts, which says in part: "Our institution has recently been designated as the official depository of the Government of the Canal Zone and at this time we have $1,121,668.78 of their funds on deposit." The same letter offered facilities for "banking by mail" to the Isthmian Canal Commission force. Today, Chase Manhattan's connections with the Panama Canal and its employees are much closer than those mail-order banking days, although there are still a good many depositors who do not set foot in their bank from one year to another. Their pay checks are mailed directly to the bank and receipt acknowledged by the bank, by mail. Through standing orders, the bank will transfer money from a local account to a States bank, for the support of dependent parents or sons and daughters in college, and debit the Canal Zone depositor's account for the amount transferred. Through other standing orders, government bonds may be purchased regularly, and the bonds mailed to the buyer. But Chase Manhattan's services, even though they comprise every type of banking service, except savings accounts with interest, are not limited to these minor transactions from an overall financial standpoint. Each month Chase Manhattan in the Canal Zone guarantees the tolls for at least 300 of the ships which transit the Panama Canal. And -a littleknown fact the bank imports every bit of WILLIAM C. SCHMITT Manager, Balboa Branch
June 1, 1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW purchase price was debited against the Zonian's account and any winnings credited. As early as 1916, Canal employees were being paid with Commercial National Bank checks upon request, and the checks could be deposited by mail in their accounts. This tied in with another early-day service financing vacations. In those days, an oldtimer said, it was the usual custom to borrow money from the bank to finance vacations. The loan was repaid with pay checks paid into his account while he was away. No other collateral was required. Cars And Christmas Trees One long-time Zonian said the other day that the Chase National Bank, although it was not known by that name in those days, undoubtedly financed the purchase of most of the first automobiles in the Canal Zone. The bank still lends money to buy cars. The only difference is that $250 then bought a good used car. After the American Foreign Banking Corporation became the Chase National, its attitude became somewhat frosty, according to a former Zonian who had daily dealings with the bank. Today, Chase Manhattan's smile is more than professional, and its sense of humor has been restored. The staff of the Balboa branch was able to accept, with a wry grin, the kidding of its customers some years ago when the bank blossomed out with an all-red Christmas tree; the customers considered red unsuitable for an institution which laid such emphasis on remaining "in the black." And the bank's officials can even look with tolerance, if not complete understanding, on such customers as the one who, notified of an overdraft in his checking account, wrote a check on the same account to cover the overdraft. Handles Panama Canal Finances While its comparatively small personal accounts number well into the thousands, the bulk of Chase Manhattan's Canal Zone business has to do with the Panama Canal, its operation and protection. For many years the largest single activity of the Cristobal branch has been the financing of tolls and other expenses for vessels transiting the Canal or calling at terminal ports. "The statutory provision that tolls had to be paid in cash in advance," a bank official says, "led the early management of the branch to realize that this created a situation completely different from that existing at ports in the rest of the world. They developed a system of handling such payments, thereby simplifying and making more economical for the owners the payments of a vessel's charges. At the same time they relieved the steamship agents of the burden of financing such expenditures -a standard practice of those days throughout the world." Chase Manhattan's Cristobal branch has never moved from its original location in the Masonic Temple building, although it has expanded considerably from the two rooms to which it was first assigned. In its very early days, the bank ran into some difficulty getting the proper door for its big vault. This problem was solved when the bank "accepted for use" the door which had hung for many years on the vault in the old Panama Railroad building in Colon. The Cristobal Branch was opened by George Schuyler Schaeffer, for years a leading figure in banking circles here. W. FRITZ HUMPHREYS Manager, Cristobal Branch He remained in Cristobal for only a few months and was then transferred to the Panama branch where he was stationed until 1942. During this period, he had charge of all Chase Bank operations on the Isthmus. He also became the first Chase official to be elevated to a vice presidency on the Isthmus. Employees Are Well Known Other managers of the Cristobal branch have included J. Edward Healy, Jr., now a Chase Vice President in charge of all Isthmian operations, and Mr. Gomez, who served in the Cristobal branch from 1926 to 1934. The present manager is Texas-born W. Fritz Humphreys. The W stands for William, which he never uses. He has been with Chase for 30 years, 27 of them on the Isthmus. Outside of banking hours, he is a crack tennis player. Other oldtimers in the Cristobal branch are the number-one teller, Augustus Kam; Mrs. Eunice Robles, who handles travelers' checks, new accounts, loan applications, and similar matters; and Mrs. Miriam McDade, who is secretary to the manager, in charge of the confidential files, and sometimes helps out in the front office. Chase Manhattan's first Balboa branch was not opened until 1938. It was located in the building which had been, until a few months before, the Ancon Police Station. This building, since demolished, stood approximately at the corner of Ancon Boulevard and Frangipani Street. It was a two-story frame structure, with screened porches and little protection for the amount of cash needed for banking operations. The bank at first thought of renting large safety deposit boxes at the Administration Building and storing the cash in these, but this plan was never followed through. Instead, all cash and some records were conveyed to Ancon from the Panama branch every morning and carted back to Panama City again at the close of the business day. New Building Occupied In 1940 In February 1940, the bank began construction of the white, air-conditioned, wedge-shaped building which stands at the junction of Barnebey and Pearson Streets and Balboa Road on the site once occupied by the Balboa post office. The bank moved into its new quarters on August 29 of that year. Within a short time the bank had outgrown its new building and an addition was made at the rear. It was in this building that the branch's staff carried the heavy load of the war and postwar periods. It was not at all unusual for the staff to work from 7 a. m. to 10:45 p. m., getting home just before blackout time at 11 o'clock. Mr. Gomez was the first manager of the Balboa branch. Now, as Assistant Vice President, he supervises the operations of both Balboa and Cristobal branches. The present manager is William C. Schmitt. He served with the Army here during World War II and has been with Chase since 1945. His assistant manager is Horacio C. Aleman who was born in Panama and has been with the bank ever since he finished school. He has been at the Balboa branch for over 17 years and before his recent promotion was its chief clerk. Another of the Balboa staff who is well known to its customers is Miss Lillian Gray, whose duties are generally similar to those of Mrs. Robles at Cristobal. She has been with the Balboa branch since 1942 and prior to that time was secretary to Mr. Schaeffer. Also well known to those who deal with the Balboa branch is Aldrich Lowe. He is on duty at a window just to the right of the entrance door where he handles all notes and the sale of U. S. savings bonds. AN UNLIKELY PLACE to find a bank would be a police station, but this was the site of the Chase Manhattan's branch in the Canal Zone when it reopened during the late 1930's on the Pacific side. The old building has since been demolished. Driving on the left side of the street was still in effect.
10 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW June 1,1956 BILL O'SULLIVAX, official translator for the Canal, plays Uke, or thrown one, to Mary Lou Engelke's Tori, or thrower, in a practice session of the Judo Club. She has used a "leg hook" to put him off balance. Newly Organized Judo Club Teaches Ancient Art To 21 Members Now Seeking Badge of Proficiency Some people covet Cadillacs, and some people hanker for cabin cruisers, but the material object most desired by a score of Canal Zonians is a black belt. It is not an ordinary black belt. About twice as long as what one would normally wear, it goes twice around its owner, and is tied in a knot in front. It symbolizes the highest grade of proficiency in Judo. The 19 men and two women to whom the black belt means so much are the Canal Zone's Judokas, or members of the Canal Zone Judo Club. Since last September 1 when the club was formally organized and affiliated with the Panama Judo Association, they have been practicing falls and holds and throws, first at the Balboa gymnasium, later at Diablo Heights, and more recently at the Olympic Pool in Panama. The belts which indicate their skill in Judo are worn with their Judo-gi, or practice costumes which look much like a rather loose pair of white pajamas. All novice Judokas wear white belts. As they become more proficient, they are given tests, progress to higher grades, and are entitled to belts of different colors. Belts Denote Proficiency Next step above the white belt is one of yellow followed, in turn, by orange, green, blue, brown, and black. Both of the women in the club and several of the men have won their yellow belts. One Judoka has his orange belt, one a green one. The grading used locally for the tests and for the belts is that used throughout the western hemisphere and is not precisely that of the major Japanese Judo school. Judo was brought to the Canal Zone a couple of years ago by Robert A. Engelke of the Canal Zone Police Force. He had had his first taste of the ancient Japanese sport when he was sent to the Military Police school at Camp Gordon, Ga., for two months under the organized Reserve Training Program. When he returned to the Canal Zone he interested several of his friends in Judo. Little by little the group grew but it was not officially termed a club until last fall. Up until that time the Judokas had been practicing without expert instruction; late last summer, they found a man qualified to serve as their instructor. Today they are put through their paces by Mario Gaudiano, a student in Panama University's School of Medicine. He learned Judo while he was a pre-med student in Montreal and is entitled to wear the coveted black belt. Two Women Members When the club was formed, Mr. Engelke became its first president. One of the other officers is one of the two women members, Mrs. Barney Hidalgo, a slender, attractive brunette. The other woman member is tiny, pretty Mrs. Engelke. Because Judo is a solemn, ceremonious sport, its followers take it solemnly and ceremoniously. There is never any smoking in the Dojo, or practice hall. Before each class begins, the Judokas kneel and bow at the edges of the practice mats as a sign of respect to the "highest belt" present, and the session ends with this same ceremony. Before a match, each contestant bows to his or her opponent. First thing a Judoka learns is how to A TOMOE-NAGE, or circle throw, is performed here by Louise Hidalgo, one of the Judo Club's two women members. She drops to her back, puts one foot in her opponent's left hip, and then throws him. fall so that he will not hurt himself. This sounds simpler than it actually is and is technically known as a "break fall." There are carefully prescribed steps for each fall; in the backward fall, for instance, the novice learns to bend his head forward so that he does not strike it on the mat as he falls. After he has learned to fall backward and forward and sidewaysÂ— the novice is ready for the next step. During this second period, he learns how to break the balance of an opponent and use that advantage to throw him. First he learns the proper instant to set his opponent up for the throw; then he is taught to judge the time to put his opponent off balance; and finally the exact moment to accomplish the throw itself. It is not until after he has mastered these preliminary steps that the Judoka begins to learn the basic throws, the footsweeps and the other prescribed motions of Judo. These are similar in theory to the "school figures" of ice skating, or the prescribed master dives in a diving contest. Judo manuals list 40 throws, each of which must be done in a carefully prescribed fashion. All of the 40 must be mastered before a Judoka may be considered an expert. Judo itself, Mr. Engelke explains, has a creed of performance which every Judoka must learn. This is: Minimum Effort, Maximum Efficiency, and Mutual Benefit. The first two phrases mean that a student of Judo learns to use his opponent's own energy and momentum to throw him, and accounts for the way that someone as small as Mrs. Engelke, for instance, can throw a man much larger than herself. Winner And Loser Benefit Mutual Benefit Mr. Engleke explains like this: Each contest has two participants, a Tori, or thrower, and a Uke, the thrown. When the Tori throws the Uke, the Tori is improving his throws but the Uke, at the same time, is improving his falls. Each, therefore, benefits from the contest. Since the club was organized, several of its members have appeared in public exhibitions of Judo. One of these exhibitions was at the American Legion Club and another was a match at the Diablo Heights gymnasium with a Judo team from the French cruiser, Jeanne D'Arc. Their most recent public performance was on April 14 when members of the Canal Zone Club and Panama Club participated in an exhibition with the Panamanian National Guard. Judo, according to one of the foremost textbooks on the subject, is a modern adaptation of the Jujitsu tradition, "one of the martial arts of old Japan and one of the priceless legends of the Samurai." It has been known by a dozen different names and has had many schools, each distinguished from the others by its own individual features. In 1882 Dr. Jigoro Kano took all the fine points of each school and with his own improvements formed the now famous Kodokan or Institute of Judo in
June 1,1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW 11 Music Helps To Make Life Worth Living; So La Boca Alumni Chorus Keeps Singing Without music, life would be a mistake," an author once said. That is exactly the way the members of the La Boca Alumni Chorus feel. The chorus, which today is the sole adult singing aggregation in the Canal Zone, came into being because its members didn't want to stop singing. More exactly, they didn't want the high school commencement exercises of 1949 to disband the chorus which had been organized the year before by the school's music director, Emily Butcher, under the sponsorship of Mrs. Helen C. Baker, then in charge of school music. Today the La Boca Alumni Chorus is called upon whenever there are festivities of any size or importance in the Canal Zone. In April the chorus sang at the La Boca Junior College commencement exercises. A few days earlier it had sung during the Easter morning program of the Caribbean Forces Network. Late in March it had been presented in Panama City by the United States Information Service. In Person And On The Air The group was featured at inauguration ceremonies for Governor Seybold in 1952, and at the Goethals Memorial Celebration in 1954. The traditional Hour of Music at Christmastime started with the chorus and became a popular and much anticipated holiday season activity in the local-rate communities. For years the Alumni Chorus has sung in the Hanging of the Greens ceremony at the Balboa YMCA. In addition to all of these special events, the chorus has appeared many times over the air, in concerts at the Jewish Welfare Board in Balboa, and at a number of Army posts. Its members have visited hospitals in the Canal Zone to sing to patients and have made at least one trip to Santo Tomas Hospital in Panama City. One of its major activities was the one and only Spring Sing at the La Boca school grounds in 1952. The attendance was over 2,000. Members Scattered The La Boca Alumni Chorus today has 35 members, who range in age from 19 to the late 30's. Most of the original chorus lived in La Boca but today only two or three still reside in the fastdisappearing town. The rest are scattered all over the Isthmus; some of them come from the Atlantic side for rehearsals twice a month or so in the La Boca High School study hall. The 35 choristers hold all kinds of PLEASING TO EAR and eye, the La Boca Alumni Chorus appeared at the commencement of the La Boca branch of the Junior College. They are, beginning with the bottom row and in the usual order: Icilyn Smythe, Irma Henry, Dorothy Powell, Pearl Simon, Joycelyn Gooden, Zelma Lee, Vivian Hall, Emily E. Butcher, director; second row, Sibyl Henry, Cynthia Wilson, Earl Braithwaite, Stanley Hall, Carlyle Edghill, Doris Greene, Doris Cox; third row, Alden G. Cockburn, Ruby Carter, Hilary Clarke, Fred Howell, Gilburt Burrows, Hyacinta Tait, Lilybelle Fawcett; back row, Hugh Adams, Cecil Carter, Robert Joseph, Fred Wason, Frank Russell, Olive Joseph, Ruth Mae Springer. Japan. The Canal Zone Judo Club fol* lows the traditions of the Kodokan school, but uses the Kawaishi method of belt grading. Jujitsu, basically a system of barehanded fighting, was developed by Japanese warriors as a means of defending themselves should they loose their swords or spears. It was revived toward the end of the nineteenth century when an Imperial Decree abolished the wearing of swords, and barehanded jujitsu was again brought to the fore as a special art of self defense. Modern Judo, about as it is practiced today, was developed during the latter part of the last century. Jobs. Some are teachers in the Canal Zone schools; some hold clerical positions; others work in the commissaries; a few are employed at Army posts; and some are housewives. A number of the original members have left the Isthmus and are living or studying in the United States and some of the men are serving in the United States Armed Forces. Because men's voices are "heavier" than women's, there are usually fewer men than women in the group. People who have been inflicted with "musical" neighbors are apt to think the world full of sopranos and bathroom tenors, but, strangely, Miss Butcher sometimes has difficulty in finding the proper number of tenors or soporanos to balance the chorus. High Voices Scarce "The altos and basses seem to stay with us," she said the other day. "But quite frequently we have trouble finding enough of the higher voices, both men's and women's. Right now, though, the group is beautifully balanced." Occasionally, if an event calls for a smaller group than the full chorus, a group of 10 singers who, Miss Butcher says, "by themselves possess perfect balance" appear in place of the chorus as a whole. The Melotones, a well-known male quartet, is an offshoot of the chorus. Like their parent organization, they have sung at several Army posts and during civic programs, as well. Miss Butcher, who is a graduate of the La Boca Normal Training School and holds a Master's Degree from Columbia University, is the first and only director of the chorus. Today she wields her baton with the expert air of experience, but things were not always so, she recalls. In her early days in school, she sat at her piano leading the chorus by nodding vigorously, winking first at tenors and then at altos. It took all of Mrs. Baker's persuasion to overcome her shyness and get her on her feet to do a proper job. Three members of Miss Butcher's graduating class of 1944 are still singing with the chorus. They are Mrs. Mary Callender, Mrs. Lilybelle Fawcett, and Cecil Carter. When the demand for a chorus was revived by the graduates of 1949, most of the present members were still in school, but nine '"49ers" are still with the chorus. They are Doris Greene, Zelma Lee, Irma Henry, Earl Brathwaite, Robert Joseph, Doris Cox, and Vivian Hall, all living in Panama City; Cynthia Wilson of La Boca; and Dorothy Powell from Gamboa. Rehearsals Are Fun Rehearsals are fun, Miss Butcher says, and much work is crowded into one evening when the date of a public performance draws near. However, she added, "we have the same old problems of irregular attendance and late-comers common to group meetings everywhere." The members of the chorus, advised by Miss Butcher, select the music they will sing. Somethings the songs they choose are those they have heard on records or over the radio. Sometimes they are songs they have heard about. And sometimes, she says, "it is just music." At first the chorus sang entirely in English but recently some Spanish songs have been added to their repertoire. Once in a while they have presented some of the songs typical of the West Indies. They sing either a capella or with an accompaniment on piano. Their first regular accompanist was Wilma D. Butcher, of La Boca. She is now studying music in the United States. Today their accompanist is Hugh Adams who is an accomplished pianist as well as a graduate of La Boca High School.
12 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW June 1, 1956 New Paraiso High School Will Open Monday; Dedication Planned June 16 ONE OF THE kitchen units in the home economics room of Paraiso High School is inspected by Lt. Gov. H. W. Schull, Jr., accompanied by school officials.* Sigurd E. Esser, Superintendent of Schools, is at the left. Back of the Lieutenant Governor is Henry L. Donovan, Civil Affairs Director. Ellis L. Faweett, Principal of Paraiso High School, stands at the right. Transfer of the Latin American high school on the Pacific side from La Boca to Paraiso will take place over this weekend. The 476 students now enrolled will report Monday to their new classrooms. The new high school is located at the intersection of Paraiso Road and Ada Street in Paraiso. The shell of a large building used as a storehouse by the Locks Division, it has been completely transformed into a modern school plant. Its classrooms and facilities rival any of those in the Canal Zone schools system. Adjoining the main building and connected to it by a covered passageway is a new building which will house a soundproof music room and a large open-construction building for shop classes. Dedication June 16 It is planned to dedicate the new high school at special ceremonies on Saturday, June 16. Details of the ceremony will be announced later but plans are to have the top Canal officials, school authorities, and community leaders participate. With the transfer of the high school to Paraiso, the building in La Boca will be used for the elementary and junior high school of that community. This transfer will take place sometime later, perhaps about the end of this month, after which Canal's Traffic Engineer Says Psychology And Highway Grades Are Vital In His Work (Continued from pan: 5) signals, the first of this type to be installed on the Isthmus, will count the number of cars from all directions and automatically give preference to the heaviest flow. Another thing which helps brighten his job is the excellent cooperation he receives, particularly from the Canal Zone Police Division. "Traffic engineers," he says, "can dream up fine solutions to difficult traffic problems but it is the police who handle the job and solve the problems on an immediate basis when they arise. In this category, the Canal Zone Police do an admirable job." the older elementary school building will no longer be used. The new Paraiso high school will be far more conveniently located foi the majority of the Latin American students in high school on the Pacific side than the one in La Boca. Most of the students now live in Paraiso and Santa Cruz. Cost $125,000 Designs for the new high school were prepared by the architectural staff of the Engineering Division. The construction work was performed under contract by Dillon & Hickman. The total cost was approximately $125,000. The main high school building contains ten regular classrooms, each 20 by 32 feet, located on the sides of the main corridor which runs the length of the building. Also in the main building are the home economics room, library, physical science and biology rooms, a teachers' room equipped with kitchenette, a clinic, two rooms for storage, and the school office. The school library is to also be used as a community library for Paraiso. This is located on the northeast corner of the building and is provided with a separate entrance so that it may be opened to the public outside of school hours. The home economics room is twice the size of the other classrooms and is equipped with three unit kitchens. The biology and science rooms are fitted for laboratory work. All of the rooms open on the main corridor which has an "egg crate" ceiling with lighting above the sectional aluminum grillwork. The aluminum grating is painted to give the hallway a luminous effect with the overhead lighting. Modern Touches The classrooms are sound-proofed with high celotex ceilings and partitions of concrete-block construction. Colorful paints of various colors have been used on the walls of the classrooms, several of which are equipped with light green blackboards which reduce eye strain and which are being used for the first time in the Zone. In the reconstruction of the building, the outside walls of galvanized iron have been replaced by concrete block walls at the base. Above this base each classroom is fitted with tinted glass jalousies which will reduce the glare and above these large opaque glass windows provide additional ventilation and light. Did You Know? The first foreign vessel to transit the Canal was the SS Daldorch, a Britishregistered freighter, carrying wheat from Tacoma to Ireland. The date: August 20, 1914. The lighthouse at Cape Mala was placed in service in July 1915. Vessels of 15 nations transited the Canal during its first year of operation. FIRST AID DEMONSTRATION &i gF&0*J?*l^ ;.li-u^afc^ SPECIAL EMPHASIS is given to first-aid training of employees throughout the Canal organization. The interest shown in first-aid is demonstrated by the throng of spectators on the porches of the Paraiso Service Center shown above watching the first-aid demonstration by various employees at the recent Field Safety Day held at Paraiso under the auspices of the Paraiso Civic Council.
June 1, 1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW 13 THREE TO REPRESENT CANAL IN NATION-WIDE CAREER SERVICE COMPETITION COMPETING with thousands of Federal employees from all branches of the government will be these three Canal employees who were chosen last month to participate in the Second Annual Career Service Awards Program. Left to right, they are: E. B. Stevens, Engineering Division; C. W. Kilbey, Service Center Division; and Vincent Biava, Dredging Division. The program is sponsored by the National Service League, a non-partisan citizens' organization for good government, and is designed to increase the prestige of public service by focusing national attention on some of the distinguished careers in federal service. Only ten individuals from among the many thousands nominated will be selected to receive national awards. The Governor Of The Canal Zone (Continued from page l) engineering design and construction of major water-resources development projects in many parts of the United States. One of his early assignments of this sort was with the Pittsburgh Engineer District where he worked on the construction of the Tygardt and Emsworth Dams in the Ohio Valley Project. Later he was District Engineer at Kansas City. He comes to the Canal Zone from Omaha, Neb., where he has been Division Engineer for the Missouri River Division, in which are some of the largest flood-control and river-development projects in the world. He has been serving as Chairman of the Missouri Basin Inter-Agency Committee, which coordinates the comprehensive water-resources-control program authorized by Congress in 1944. During World War II Governor Potter served briefly as Executive Officer in the Psychological Warfare Division in the European Theater of Operations and then was named Assistant Chief for plans and operations in the European Theater of Operations during the period of the Normandy invasion. His other overseas assignments have included three years in Nicaragua, between 1929 and 1932, during the last of which he was in charge of the hydrographic studies of the drainage basin for the proposed Nicaraguan canal, and some time in Alaska, where he was in charge of the construction of large military installations. Mid -Westerner Governor Potter, born in Wisconsin, is the sixth Governor who may be called a Midwesterner; beginning with Gov. Clarence S. Ridley, in 1936, every Governor has come from the central part of the United States. Governor Potter's 11 predecessors, their home states, their terms of office, and thsir ages when they became Governor follows: George W. Goethals, 1914-17; New York, N. Y., 56 Chester Harding, 1917-20, Mississippi, 50 Jay J. Morrow, 1920-24, West Virginia, 50 Meriwether L. Walker, 1924-28, Virginia, 54 Harry Burgess, 1928-32, Mississippi, 56 Julian L. Schley, 1932-36, Georgia, 52 Clarence S. Ridley, 1936-40, Indiana, 52 Glen E. Edgerton, 1940-44, Kansas, 53 Joseph C. Mehaffey, 1944-48, Ohio, 55 Francis K. Newcomer, 1948-52, Illinois, 58 John S. Seybold, 1952-56, Kansas, 54 Several Moves Scheduled For Accounting Division The Machine Accounting Section of the Accounting Division of the Office of the Comptroller will soon be moved from the first floor of the east wing of the Administration Building to the basement of the east wing of the same building. The move will involve a number of bookkeeping machines and 12 employees. William E. Potter Start s Busy Life (Continued from page 1) his arrival at a reception given by Mr. Bacon at the Tivoli Guest House. At eleven o'clock Wednesday morning, Governor Potter met in his office with the presidents of the Canal Zone Civic Councils. The Budget Committee began its review of the Canal budget on Tuesday morning and sessions were scheduled also for Wednesday and Thursday. An exchange of calls between the Governor and various top officials of the Canal Zone and the Republic of Panama were listed for Thursday and Friday. Among the official functions planned for the week were a reception by the United States Ambassador at his residence Thursday night to meet officials and guests from Panama, and a military Honor guard ceremony for Governor Potter at Quarry Heights Friday morning. Junior Intern Nominees ONE OF this group will be selected to represent the Canal organization at the eighth Junior Management Intern Program which will be held in Washington from September .10 to next January 25. The group of nine is one of the largest ever nominated and, for the first time', includes three women. Left to right in the bottom row are: Bertha I. Frensley, Earl W. Sears, Mrs. Frances L. Jourvvey, William R. Graham, and Mrs. Rosemarie J. Kenealy. Top row in the same order: Dr. Daniel j.' Paulucci, Training Officer; Stephen A. Bissell, Richard S. Brogie, Evlvn W. Brandt, and Gerald r! Fruth. Miss Frensley, Mrs Journey, Mrs. Kenealy, Mr. Brogie, and Mr. Bissell are with the Office of the Comptroller; Mr. Graham and Mr. Fruth with the Transportation and Terminals Bureau; Mr. Sears with the Supply and Employee Service Bureau; and Mr. Brandt with the Marine Bureau.'
14 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW June 1,1956 PROMOTIONS AND TRANSFERS April 15 through May 15 Employees who were promoted or transferred between April IS and May 15 are listed below. The names of those employees who were transferred back to their regular jobs following the Gatun Locks overhaul and within-grade promotions are not listed. ADMINISTRATIVE BRANCH Mrs. Constance L. Bishop, from File Clerk (Typist) to Passenger Traffic Clerk. Transportation Section. CIVIL AFFAIRS BUREAU Mrs. Jane T. Fugua, from Substitute Teacher to Element. u\ School Teacher. Division of S hools. Earle M. Stone, from Commissary Supervisor, Commissary Division, to Customs Guard, Customs Division. Burris J. Rice, from Guard, Locks Division, to Distribution and Window Clerk, Postal Division. Mrs. Janet L. Jeffrey, from Clerk-Typist and Substitute Teacher to Substitute Teacher and Extension Class Teacher, Division of Schools. OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER Miss Rose A. McGuigan, from ClerkStenographer, General Audit Division, to Clerk (Stenographer), Accounting Policies and Procedures Staff. Mrs. Chiquita C. Cassibry, Clerk (Stenographer) from Accounting Policies and Procedures Staff to Office of the Comptroller. Miss Shirley A. McNall, from Bookkeeping Machine Operator to Accounting Clerk, Accounting Division. Mrs. Dana B. Bissell, from Accounting Clerk to Transportation Rate Accounting Clerk, Accounting Division. Edward C. Coyle, from Construction Cost Accountant, Plant Inventory and Appraisal Staff, to Rates Analyst, Budget and Rates Division. Mrs. Ruth Peterson, Clerk-Stenographer, from Comptroller's Office to General Audit Division. Mrs. Grace E. MacVittie, from ClerkStenographer to Voucher Examiner, General Audit Division. Robert H. Hicks, Voucher Examiner to Fiscal Assistant, General Audit Division. John A. Morales II, from Fiscal Assistant, General Audit Division, to Accountant, V< ounting Division. David I. Kelleher, from Accountant, Accounting Division, to Auditor, General \udit Division. Mrs. Yolanda E. Valencia, from Stenographer to Clerk-Stenographer, Accounting Division. Mrs. Muriel H. DeYoung, from Accounting Clerk to Supervisory Clerical Asmm ml. Accounting Division. Jose G. Gonzalez, Accountant, from Methods and Relief Assignment Staff, to Reports and Reconciliation Branch. Miss Isabelle M. Diaz, from Bookkeeping Machine Operator to Bookkeeping Machine Supervisor, Accounting Division. ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION BUREAU Victor L. Sanger, from Tractor-Bulldozer Operator to Tractor-Bulldozer and Con,'in in. ii Equipment Operator, Maintenance Division. Estle H. Davison, from Bulldozer and Construction Equipment Operator to Pumping Plant Operator, Maintenance Division. James M. Reeves, from Pumping Plant Operator to Filtration Plant Operator, Water and Laboratories Branch. Louis L. Seldon, from Electrician to Hospital Electrician, Maintenance Division. Woodrow G. Torbert, from Accounting Assistant to Accountant, Maintenance Division. William W. Wood, from Supervisory Accounting Assistant to Supervisory' Accountni. Maintenance Division. Henri E. Moehrke, from General Supervisors Storekeeper to Accounting Clerk, Dredging Division. Edward A. Cox, from Mechanical Coordinator, to Power Plant Equipment Specialist, Electrical Division. Elmer J. Moolchan, Electrical Welder, from Industrial Division to Dredging Division. Walter E. Benny, from Mechanical Supervisor, to Power Plant Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Division. John R. Smith, from Generation and Transmission Supervisor to Power Plant Supervisory Electrical Engineer, Electrical Division. William J. Carson, from Foreman Plumber to Quarters Maintenance Lead Foreman, Maintenance Division. John A. DuVall, from Apprentice Cablesplicer to Cablesplicer, Electrical Division. Claud M. Kreger, from Pump Operator to Rotary Drill Foreman, Dredging Division. Gale A. O'Connell, from General Estimates Engineer to Structural Engineer, Engineering Division. OFFICE OF THE GOVERNOR-PRESIDENT James G. E. Maguire, from Statistical Assistant to Organization and Methods Examiner, Executive Planning Staff. Thomas E. Burrow, from Organization and Methods Examiner to Supervisory Organization and Methods Examiner, Executive Planning Staff. HEALTH BUREAU David C. Mcllhenny, from Funeral Director to Hospital Administrative Officer, Coco Solo Hospital. MARINE BUREAU Robert J. Straus, from Lock Operator (Machinist) to Towing Locomotive Operator, Pacific Locks. Robert A. Hanson, from Boilermaker to Towing Locomotive Operator, Atlantic Locks. Milton M. LaCroix, from Machinist, Industrial Division to Lock Operator (Machinist), Atlantic Locks. Leonard E. Case, from Maintenance Mechanic, Maintenance Division, to Machinist, Industrial Division. Charles A. Parks, from Towing Locomotive Operator, Locks Overhaul, to Guard, Atlantic Locks. Frank R. Costanzo, Towing Locomotive Operator from Atlantic to Pacific Locks. James A. Fraser, Jr., Tom P. Reed, Jack Simon, Towing Locomotive Operaor from Atlantic Locks Overhaul to Pacific Locks. TRANSPORTATION AND TERMINALS BUREAU Stuart M. Fisk, from Gauger and Cribtender to Liquid Fuels Gauger and Foreman Ciibtender, Marine Bunkering Section. William D. Mc Arthur, from Gauger and Cribtender to Liquid Fuels Gauger and Foreman Cribtender, Marine Bunkering Section. Clair E. Ewing, from Supervisory Administrative Assistant to Assistant to the Superintendent, Terminals Division. Jimmie Scott, from Checker, Atlantic Locks Overhaul to Guard, Terminals Division. JUNE SAILINGS From Cristobal ( ', istdbal Ju'ie 2 Anion June 9 Panama -June 16 Cristobal June 2i 1 Â„i on June 30 From New York Panama June 7 Cristobal J tine 14 ,1 neon J une 2 1 Panama June 28 1 Northand south-bound ships are in Haiti Mondays). ANNIVERSARIES Edward P. Walsh, Filtration Plant Operator at Mount Hope, w-ho completed 40 years of government service in May, has the distinction of being not only a construction-day employee, but also the son of -N EDWARD P. WALSH a construction-day employee. He came to the Isthmus in 1909 with his parents and lived for many years in Gatun where his father, John J. Walsh, was General Foreman at Gatun Dam. Not one to sit around and twiddle his thumbs, Mr. Walsh got his first job in 1912 with the Commissary Division as a Checker. With extra time on his hands, he worked as a Doorman at the Gatun Theater and as a Volunteer Fireman with the Fire Protection Service in Gatun. He received $1 an hour on this job Â— when he was working. During the years that he worked with the Commissary Division, Mr. Walsh received a number of promotions and was Foreman in 1930 when he resigned his job to go to the LTnited States. He was reemployed in 1933 with the Maintenance Division and has been Filtration Plant Operator at Mount Hope since 1946. All of his 40 years of service and his 43 years of Canal Zone residence has been on the Atlantic side. 25 YEARS Three of the four employees who completed a quarter of a century of government service in May, have had continuous service with the Canal organization. They are Edward E. Bernsee, Jr., Abraham Daisey, and Mrs. Mattison G. Macaulay. Mr. Bernsee was born in New Orleans, La., and spent most of his service as a clerk with the Commissary Division. Since 1955, he has been a Clerk-Typist with the Maintenance Division. Mr. Daisey, a native of Philadelphia, was first employed in the Dredging Division and is now Chief Towboat Engineer with the Navigation Division. Mrs. Macaulay is from Bostrope, La., and was first employed as a Playground Assistant. She has been with the Commissary Division since 1940 and at present is a Cash Accounting Clerk. The fourth 25-year employee is Leo J. Eberenz, who first started working with the Canal organization in 1918 on vacation jobs. He was born in Fort Thomas, Ky., and he presently is Supervisory Storekeeper with the Locks Division. 20 YEARS Ten employees completed 20 years of government service in May, eight of whom have continuous Canal service. They are: Robert S. Bowen, Auditor. Office of the Comptroller; George E. Coleman, Sheet Metal Laverouter, Industrial Division; Ralph L. Davis, Conductor, Railroad Division; James A. Dorsey, Construction and Maintenance Superintendent, Railroad Division; Charles T. Jackson, Jr., Administrative Officer, Marine Director's Office; Martin S. Sawyer, Marine Traffic Controller,
June 1,1956 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW 15 Timing Equipment Repair Work To Be Discontinued Effective July 21, the Industrial Division is discontinuing repair work on clocks and chronometers, according to an announcement by the Marine Director. Organizations which have timing equipment which requires repairs have been requested to submit their work orders as soon as possible so that all repair work will be completed by July 21. Repairs to cloc'cs, chronometers, and other timekeeping equipment has been a longstanding operation of the Instrument Repair Shop. The shop's first foreman back in 1904, was a professional watchmaker who doubled as an electrician. At one time a large number of timepiece repair jobs were done by the Instrument Repair Shop each month but the number of these has decreased gradually. Navigation Division; Paul S. Stewart, Policeman, Police Division, Cristobal; and Lt. Stewart P. Trail, Police Division, Balboa. Also completing 20 years of government service are William H. DeVore, a native Zonian, who is an Accountant in the Accounting Division, and Mrs. Marie K. Corrigan, Nurse at Gorgas Hospital. 15 YEARS Half of the 14 employees with 15 years of Government service at the end of May have unbroken Canal service. They are: John W. Acker, Auto Repair Mechanic, Motor Transportation Division; Mrs. Ruth R. Campbell, Security Assistant, Internal Security Office; Mrs. Marion F. French, Telephone Operator, Communications Branch, Raymond A. Davidson, Lock Operator, Pacific Locks; Ralph R. Grassau, Budget Analyst, Office of the Comptroller; William A. Hadarits, Towing Locomotive Operator, Locks Division ; and Capt. Samuel E. Johnson, Pilot, Navigation Division. Other 15-year employees are: Mrs. Elsa L. Bailey, Supervisory Personnel Clerk, Personnel Division; Edwin J. Compton, Welder, Maintenance Division; Henry W. Frazier, Iron Worker, Aids to Navigation Section; William J. McKeown, Gauger, Division of Storehouses; Charles E. Staples, Lead Foreman of the Tiie Reclaiming Plant, Motor Transportation Division; Erling E. Verner, Commissary Supervisor, Commissary Division; and James A. Wood, Sheetmetal Worker, Maintenance Di\ision. HUGE CARRIER DUE HERE THIS MONTH RETIREMENTS Retirement certificates were presented the end of May to the following employees who are listed alphabetically, together with their birthplaces, titles, length of service, and future addresses: Thomas J. Breheney, Ireland; Lead Foreman, Hyacinth Control, Dredging Division; 21 years, 7 months, 2 days; Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Mrs. Dora J. Coleman, Boston, Mass.; Medical Technician, Coco Solo Hospital; 13 years, 10 months, 29 days; Costa Rica. William F. Cunningham, Pennsylvania; Auditor, Office of the Comptroller; 17 years, 9 months, 10 days; Pittsburgh, Pa. Miss Alida Drew, North Dakota ; Teacher, Balboa Elementary School; 30 years, 4 months, 29 days; undecided. William H. Gaines, Kentucky; Pipefitter, Industrial Division; 23 years, 9 months, 5 days; undecided. Alfred Hval, Minnesota; Diesel Operator-Machinist, Electrical Division; 15 years, 2 months, 18 days; Southern California. Wilfred Morris, New Jersey; Construction Inspector, Contract and Inspection Division; 16 years, 6 months, 5 days; Panama. Frank Sulc, New Jersey; Lead Foreman Wireman, Electrical Division; 19 years, 5 months, 24 days; New Jersey. ZONIANS will have another opportunity late this month to see one of the biggest ships in tinI States Navy when the aircraft carrier Franklin D. Roosmlt arrives in Balboa from the \\ est coast. At the time of the ship's last visit here, in February 1954, the Roomelt was reported to be the largest ship ever to dock in Balboa and the record still stands. This time the 45,000-ton, 986-foot-long carrier will have a somewhat different appearance than she did during her last visit; her flight deck was recentlv angled in accordance with current aircraft carrier practice. FIVE CREDIT UNIONS LIST ASSETS OF OVER $335,000 There are now nearly 4,100 members of the five Federal Credit Unions formed by local-rate employees of the Canal organization who hold shares or savings totaling over $335,000. A report on the financial status of the five credit unions has just been made for the annual examination by representatives of the Federal Credit Unions regional office in Atlanta, Ga. The examination was completed early last month by Harry O. Bennett, of the Miami office, and Alfredo Canino, of the Puerto Rico office. Of the five unions now in operation, the one in Cristobal was listed with the largest assets, totaling over $133,000. Total assets listed after the annual examination for the other four were, Paraiso, $120,000; Balboa, $86,000; Gamboa, $59,000; and Gatun, $45,000. MEET THE MACAW PROMOTED TROPICAL color, on the wing, is provided for visitors to the Experiment Gardens at Summit by this gorgeous macaw, one of three which live in cages near the Garden entrance. They are removed occasionally for the benefit of photographers. This is Roberta and, like all females, she talks. Guillermo and the unnamed third macaw, also a male, are speechless. CLAIR E. EWING, whose service with the Cansl organization began almost 31 years ago and who has never worked for any other organization except the Terminals Divisionor its predecessor, was promoted last month to a high post in that unit. As cf May 6, he became Assistant to the Superintendent of the Terminals Division in Balboa, succeeding Anson G. Kinsman who retired the end of April. Ohio-bcrn, he went to work for the Receiving and Forwarding Agency of the Panama Railroad in September 192.5. Eight Insura nce Firms As ked To Make (Continued from page 3) could be authorized for any group hospitalization plan adopted. It was also stated that hospitalization on the Isthmus should be available for employees in either Canal Zone or Panama hospitals. The Hospitalization Insurance Committee plans to hold another meeting when replies have been, received from the insurance firms solicited. At that time it will be decided what further steps may be taken to implement a group plan. While only about half of the Canal employees returned the completed questionnaires, it is believed that the percentage of participation might be somewhat higher if a satisfactory, low-cost hospitalization insurance plan is offered.
16 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Junel, 1956 SHIPS SHIPPING i ^ Transits By Ocean-Going Vessels April 1956 1955 Commercial 692 685 U.S. Government 27 14 Total 719 699 Tolls* Commercial .$3,025,809 $2,946,726 ( '. S. Government. 92,700 49,121 TotalÂ— .-$3,118,509 $2,995,917 Includes tolls on all vessels, ocean-goiug and small. Commercial traffic was continuing to move through the Canal at a record high level during May and in the first three weeks of the month there were 476 transits by ocean-going vessels. Only an abrupt change in the traffictrend would result in failing to reach new records in transits, tolls, and cargo for a full fiscal year. The record number of transits, 7,997, was established in the fiscal year 1955. Up to May 21 of this year the total number was reported at 7,308 ocean-going vessels in transit or less than 700 of a new record. Commercial transits have been averaging nearly 700 a month during this fiscal year. New records are also indicated for this fiscal year in the amount of cargo shipped through the Canal and in commercial tolls. Although the cruise season is over for this year, two large cruise vessels are scheduled to visit Canal waters this month. The SS Nassau is scheduled to be here today and the SS Ocean Monarch is expected June 23. Arrangements have been made to take cruise passengers from both ships on a ferryboat trip through Gaillard Cut. The ore carrier Ore Prince, the largest cargo vessel ever to go through the Panama Canal, made a transit the first day of May. The big vessel, loaded with 35,736 tons of iron ore from Peru, was enroute to Baltimore. The ship had a loaded displacement tonnage of 52,000 tons, only about 4,000 tons less than battleships of the New Jersey class. Ten locomotives were used to handle the Ore Prince in the locks. New Marine Director Due To Arrive Here This Month Capt. Warner Scott Rodimon, USN, who will succeed Capt. Frank A. Munroe, Jr., USN, as Director of the Marine Bureau, is arriving here June 9 aboard the USNS Gibbons. He will be accompanied by Mrs. Rodimon and their eight-yearold son, Scott. Captain Rodimon is a native of Northampton, Mass., and a graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis in the Class of 1929. His previous assignment has been Commander of Destroyer Squadron 8 of the United States Atlantic Fleet. Captain Munroe, who has been Director of the Marine Bureau for the past three years, has received orders assigning him to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Wash. He will be Adminsitrative Officer of the Yard. He and Mrs. Munroe, with their daughter, Joan, will leave within the next few weeks for their new home. Historic Marine Engine Powers One Of Canal's Frequent Users HER ENGINE transited the Panama Canal years before the Kirk-C did. Old soldiers never die, they say, and neither, apparently, do old marine engines! A frequent visitor to the Panama Canal is a 477-ton refrigerated-cargo ship which is powered by a diesel engine used more than a score of years ago in the Antarctic ship, USS Bear. The craft is the MV Kirk-C, which is owned by the Kirkconnell Company of Tampa, Fla., and Cayman Brae in the British West Indies. The Kirk-C carries refrigerated cargo from the Central and South American republics to ports as far north as Norfolk, Va., and as far south as Brownsville, Tex. The Kirk-C was built in Cambridge, Md., and commissioned by the U. S. Army as the FS 105 in 1944. After the end of World War II, she was decommissioned and sold as surplus. Her original engine was removed by a firm from Pascagoula, Miss., and the hull was purchased by the Kirkconnell Brothers. According to M. I. Kirkconnell, one of the members of the firm, he found a suitable engine in Connecticut and discovered that it had powered the old icebreaker Bear during one of Admiral Byrd's Antarctic expeditions. The engine had performed remarkably well but did not have adequate propelling power for a ship the size of the Bear. It was stored by the U. S. Navy and later disposed of. Mr. Kirkconnell purchased the diesel engine in 1948 and had it installed in the Kirk-C in Mobile, Ala. Another Queen Transits Canal ^isÂ£:!: 'XJMB ARRIVING LATE LAST month on her maiden transit and to begin regular runs through the Panama Canal was the Reina del Mar, above. Owned by the Pacific Steam Navigation Company, she will supplement the older Reir.a del Pacific*) on the England-South American run. The new a Reina grosses 20,225 tons.