Citation
Panama Canal review

Material Information

Title:
Panama Canal review
Creator:
United States -- Panama Canal Commission
Panama Canal Company
Place of Publication:
Balboa Heights Republic of Panama
Publisher:
Panama Canal Commission
Creation Date:
October 1954
Frequency:
Semiannual
regular
Language:
English
Physical Description:
v. : col. ill. ; 28-34 cm.

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
PANAMA CANAL ZONE ( unbist )
Periodicals -- Panama Canal (Panama) ( lcsh )
Periodicals -- Canal Zone ( lcsh )
Genre:
serial ( sobekcm )
federal government publication ( marcgt )
periodical ( marcgt )
Spatial Coverage:
Panama

Notes

Additional Physical Form:
Also issued online.
Dates or Sequential Designation:
Began with v. 1 (May 1950).
Issuing Body:
Vols. for 19 -19 issued by Panama Canal Co.; <Oct. 1, 1980-> by Panama Canal Commission.
General Note:
Title from cover.
General Note:
"Official Panama Canal publication"--19 -19 .
General Note:
Description based on: Oct. 1, 1980.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
This item is a work of the U.S. federal government and not protected by copyright pursuant to 17 U.S.C. §105.
Resource Identifier:
01774059 ( OCLC )
67057396 ( LCCN )
0031-0646 ( ISSN )
23584335 ( ALEPH )

Related Items

Related Item:
Panama Canal review en espagñol

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:


Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID EOLAPO97I_ULZV0D INGEST_TIME 2011-04-25T17:15:03Z PACKAGE UF00097366_00130
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC
FILES



PAGE 1

Tf l-P-03 -G ^) Gift of the Panama Canal Museum^ Vol. 5, No. 3 BALBOA HEIGHTS, CANAL ZONE, OCTOBER 1, 1954 5 cents Fearless Foursome SLIDING'S FUN and stirs up a breeze on a hot day. These Los Rios youngsters enjoy some of the equipment at their new play area: Ricky Riesch, Martha Jane Spinney (asked to spell it, she said: "You don't. You say it!"), Madeline Hopson, and Janet Stuart. For more on Canal Zone playgrounds, see page 5. CANAL EMPLOYEES BEGIN TO SEE EFFECTS OF RECENTLY-PASSED FRINGE BENEFITS BILL A total of 127 Canal employees became "career" employees in September and 167 entered a "career conditional" status as a result of the fringe benefits legislation enacted by Congress shortly before its adjournment. The change was made under the important but little known provision of the legislation which modifies the Whitten Amendment. This amendment, effective September 1, 1950, placed a ceiling on the number of permanent employees permitted by all Government agencies and required that all employments and promotions subsequent to that date be on an "indefinite" basis. The Personnel Bureau has just completed a review of the personnel records of the 1,126 employees in the Canal organization in competitive Civil Service positions. Of these, 509 were employed since the Whitten Amendment became effective, or now occupy positions without competitive status, and therefore have been listed as "indefinites." Of this number 215 are in competitive jobs without Civil Service status and this group will continue as "indefinites" until they qualify by competitive examinations for the positions they now hold. Regulations Awaited It will be a matter of several weeks until full information is received from the Civil Service Commission as to the holding of examinations for those still in the "indefinite" classification. It is expected, however, that regualtions governing these will be issued and become effective before the end of the year. All employees now remaining in an "indefinite" status will be given the opportunity to acquire career Status when the (See page 1-5) REVIEW SUBSCRIPTIONS FOR COLLEGIANS Again this year THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW offers an eight-month subscription — October through May — for students attending college in the United States. The special rate is 50 cents for the eight issues. This special rate is good for subscriptions for college students only. Cash or money order should be sent to the Editor, THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Balboa Heights, C. Z. TEMPORARY PLAN USED TO COVER VACATION TRAVEL Judging by the avalanche of real and hypothetical questions thrown at the three employees in the Transportation Section of the Administrative Branch, it was fortunate that enactment of the free home leave travel legislation came at the end of the summer vacation season. No subject in many years has stimulated more interest or evoked more questions than this. So many inquiries were received by the Transportation Section that a special request was made for employees not planning immediate vacations to delay their questions. The Canal administration moved quickly when news was received that President Eisenhower had signed the bill into law. The plan was made effective immediately and employees leaving the next day on the Panama Line were given an opportunity to accept free transportation. The plan is still being operated under temporary rules until permanent regulations are formulated. It is expected that these will be ready for announcement at an early date. First Free Tickets Travel orders are now being issued for all forms of transportation, and employees leaving today on the S. S. Panama were the first to receive tickets without payment for travel on the Panama Line. Until now, employees traveling by the Panama Line were given authorization for reimbursement following their return from vacation. An important point for all employees accepting the free home-leave-travel-plan to remember is that they will be required to submit vouchers for their travel expenses in the United States. A per diem allowance will be granted to employees, but not to employee dependents, for travel between the ports of embarkation and their homes. Mileage Allowance Generally, allowances for travel expenses will be granted in accordance with the Travel Expense Act of 1949. With some exceptions, this provides for expenses to be paid for travel by the usually traveled route between the two points and not exceeding the cost of travel by common carriers. Employees may use their own cars for travel for which they will be granted a mileage allowance. However, this allowance, plus per diem, (See pagi id)

PAGE 2

THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Octobet 1,1954 Community Chest's Annua! Fund Drive Begins October 24 Announcament of the goal for the annual Community Chest campaign for funds, to be held this year between October -'4 and November 15, will be made this coming week after recommendations of the Budget Committee are submitted to the Chest's Board of Directors. Meanwhile a special committee from the Board is studying the possibilities of a United Fund drive for the Canal Zone in 1955, similar to that being conducted in a large number of U. S. cities. A consolidated drive of this sort, incorporating all agencies which now conduct fund campaigns in the Canal Zone, was suggested recently to the Community Chest by C. W. Chase, President of the Pacific Civic Council. The Community Chest constitution requires that agencies which wish to participate must apply for membership. The success of the coming Community Chest drive in providing funds for its 12 partipating agencies is expected to have considerable effect on whether or not organizations now conducting their own drives apply for Chest membership. The Community Chest's Budget Committee, all volunteers, are to meet tomorrow to review the budgets of all member agencies. The committee's report will be made to the full Board next week, and the goal announced. Participating Agencies Agencies which have applied for membership this year whose budgets will be reviewed are: The Boy Scouts of America; Girl Scouts of America; International Boy Scouts; International Girl Scouts; the Jewish Welfare Board-USO; the Armed Services YMCA-USO, Balboa; Armed Services YMCA-USO, Cristobal; Salvation Army; Summer Recreation Board, U. S.-rate; Summer Recreation Board, Local-Rate; Congress of Civic Councils, Local-Rate; and Cristobal-Margarita Civic Council. Corozal Hospital, which has in the past received funds from the Community Chest for its occupational therapy program, and the Pacific Civic Council, also a Chest agency in the past, are not asking funds this year. Both have indicated that they have sufficient money on hand from previous Chest contributions to carry out their programs but have indicated that in the future they may again petition for membership in the Community Chest. As in past years headquarters of this year's campaign will be in the office of the Canal Zone Credit Union on Balboa Road, near the intersection of Amador Road. Mrs. Arnold Hodgson, Community Chest secretary last year, is serving in the same capacity this year. She is the Chest's only salaried employee; all other workers are volunteers. Company-Government employees may make their donations through payroll deductions, as they have done before. This year, however, the deductions may be extended over a six-month period, rather than over four months, as had been done previously. Company-Government Will Participate In Fourth Senior Management Program EIGHT CANAL employees who had attended the U. S. Civil Service Commission's Intern Program in Washington met at Balboa Heights to wish Douglas Lord, this year's appointee, good luck in his course. Mr. Lord, an employee of the Locks Division, is congratulated by Daniel J. Paolucci, Training Officer. In the background, in the usual order, are the following former trainees: Gordon Prick, Robert A. Stevens, Maenner B. Huff, Frank Wilder, Paul Friedman, Norman B. Davison, Otto Helmerichs, and Douglas Johnston. A ninth former trainee, Walter A. Dryja, was ill at the time the photograph was taken. Participation of the Company-Government organization in the Fourth Senior Management Program, to be held in Washington the first six months of next year, has been approved by Gov. J. S. Seybold. The program will begin early in January and last through June. Details of the program are expected soon from the United States Civil Service Commission, under whose auspices the programs are conducted. These details will be publicized throughout the organization by Daniel J. Paolucci, Training Officer. The Governor's approval of Canal par200,000 Yards Removed From Contractors Hill Over 50 feet has been sliced off the top of Contractors Hill and the hilltop, as September ended, was down to the 350foot level, according to reports from the field. When the work of stabilizing Contractors Hill began in June, the summit of the hill was 417 feet above sea level. By the end of September, approximately 200,000 cubic yards of earth and rock had been removed. This is about 1 1 percent of the estimated total. In addition to cutting the hill down to the 550-foot level, Tecon Corporation which is the contractor for the hill work, has taken out a ramp approach to the 3 10-foot level through the center of the hill. Drilling and blasting at the Canal side of the hill has been so successful that little, if any, rock has fallen into the waterway. Heavy blasting is stopped 20 to 25 feet from the hill face on the Canal side and the remaining rock drilled and blasted with small charges. The fractured rock resulting from the small blasts is raked away from the face of the hill with a large shovel. If the resultant debris is too large to be handled by the shovel alone, bulldozers are called in to help remove it. ticipation in the Senior Management Program followed, by about a month, the departure of Douglas Lord, a Locks Division employee whd had been selected to attend the Sixth Junior Management Intern Program. This course started September 13 and will last through January 28. Since 1946, thirteen Canal employees have attended the Management Programs. Of these, nine are still with the Canal organization, three have left the Canal Zone but are employed by other Federal agencies, and the other is on leave from the Locks Division and in the military service. The original program sponsored by the Civil Service Commission to develop employees who show administrative ability and to encourage a continuing interest in federal careers among Government employees was known as the Administrative Intern Program. About 1951, it was divided into the Junior Management Program and the Career Development Program. Mr. Lord is attending the first group. Alphabetically, present Canal employees who were selected to attend the Junior Management Programs, are: Walter A. Dryja, 1949-50; then an Engineer with the Locks Division. He is now Assistant to the Marine Director. Gordon M. Frick, 1948; then a Personnel Clerk and is now a Position Classifier in the Wage and Classification Division of the Personnel Bureau. Paul H. Friedman, 1950-51; then Administrative Assistant in the Storehouses Division. He is now Assistant Supply Director. Otto W. Helmerichs, 1946; Personnel Chief for the Central Labor Office. He is now Chief, Employment Branch, Employment and Utilization Division. Maenner B. Huff, 1949-50; then Chief, General Accounts Branch, and now Systems Accountant, with the Accounting Systems Staff. Douglas S. Johnston, (See page 14)

PAGE 3

October 1, 1954 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Launches Are Only Transportation For 6,000 Living Near Gatun Lake GATUN LANDING is always the scene of hearty welcomes when a launch arrives from any of the lake villages. The crated chickens cackled and the piled piva nuts shook a bit under the ropes which lashed them down as El Sol and the Ciri Grande slid up beside the public launch landing at Gatun. Helping hands reached from the dockside to tie the launches up. They must be unloaded quickly; the Washington, the Pueblo Nuevo, and the Margaret Jane were due any minute and would need room to dock. On the landing "Michi," a gray and white cat which had stayed behind when the Aids to Navigation offices were moved to Gamboa, waited beside her new mistress. She was one of a couple of women who hoped to sell bananas and oranges to passengers debarking from the launches after trips which, for some of them, had begun as early as 6 a. m. Half a dozen chivas and as many trucks were lined up to carry off to market the produce which had come from Escoval, Largartarito, Ciri Grande, Ciricito, Vino Tinto, and half a dozen other of the lake s?ttl?ments. In other words, it was just an ordinary Friday morning, much like any of the half dozen days a week that the launches make their trips back and forth across the lake. For, to the 6,000 or so dwellers in lake shore settlements and tiny groups on the islands, the launches are busses, trains, trucks, and ambulances — all rolled into one. The launches are their only means of transportation to market or to doctor, and in many cases, to church. Sometimes there are as many as seven of the lake craft, 29 to 40 feet in length, and a few banana barges tied up at Gatun at one time. They are freighters, bringing produce to market; busses, bring ing buyers and sellers or even an occasional sightseer to the big town; or ambulances, bringing the sick to Colon for medical attention. That they are able to travel at all over tha submerged trees, which are all that are left of the jungle which once stood where Gatun Lake now shimmers, is due y M to a little-known Canal Zone good-neighbor policy. It began over a quarter of a century ago. Listen to Harry B. Friedland, of the Aids to Navigation staff, who used to watch the launches and barges come in to Gatun, telling of the "water roads" over which the launches travel: Channels Cleared "Before the channels could be properly marked, they had to be cleared of all submerged tree stumps. The stumps were dynamited out, as this was the best method for clearing the channels properly and quickly. The work was started in 1925 and completed during the latter part of 1926. The cost of clearing these channels in 1925 and 1926 was estimated at $28,301. "At that time the population distributed over the reaches of these channels and depending on the lake for transportation numbered 3,394, by actual census count. Today that population is estimated at 6,000. "The channels total 46 miles in length and are marked by 212 navigational aids. The Aids to Navigation launch, U. S. Gavicta, is used for serving the small work parties who do what is necessary for the propei' maintenance and operation of these navigational aids. BUYERS ( 'LIMH aboard the lake launches at the Gatun landing almost as soon as the small boats tie up. That way, they are sure to get the pick of the produce. FROM CIRI GRANDE, on Gatun Lake, Digno Dondo has brought his mother to see a doctor. At the same time he will market a dozen or so stems of bananas. "The launches and barges play an important part in the economic situation of the people who inhabit the island and lake shore villages and it is highly important and vitally necessary that the small boat channels be kept cleared and marked at all times so that transportation facilities may not be disrupted." Plantain, Pineapples To see just how important these channels are to the people of the Gatun Lake area, one needs only visit the launchlanding and watch the small boats and the people and produce they carry. The other day, for instance, the launches had aboard: Chickens, stems of green plantain, bunches of piva nuts, piles of pineapples, heaps of squash, stem after stem of bananas, cases of empty bottles which had held soft drinks, and bulging bags marked "California Walnuts," which, obviously, did not contain walnuts. There did not happen to be, this particular Friday morning, any pigs, Or turkeys, or a COW (See page .',)

PAGE 4

THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1, 1954 iQue Es Esta? u Eso Es Un Juguete," Dicen Los Nifios En Las Escuelas "ESO ES UN JUGUETE," Clinton C. Carney, Jr. is telling this Spanish class of first graders at Diablo Heights School. The children know it is a toy which he is holding and are therefore likely to remember the Spanish words to say so. Word games, dramatization, and "vocabulary activities" are methods to be used for the younger children. Several hundred Canal Zone small fry from about six to nine years old are learning for the first time that a dog is also called a perro, and a cat, gato. During this school term, they will learn these and two or three hundred other basic words of the Spanish language which will enable them with comparatively little extra practice to carry on a conversation in two languages. For the first time Spanish language is being taught in the first three elementary grades of the U. S. schools and school authorities fully expect that it will greatly advance the time when the Canal Zone will become largely a bilingual community. This assumption, of course, is based on the fact that the best time to learn a language is during the earliest childhood. It is expected that any child entering the first grade this year will, upon completion of elementary education, be so well grounded in basic Spanish that, speaking the language will be easy and the child will be ready for advanced study in grammar and literature. The first classroom work in Spanish for the U. S. elementary schools was not begun until the second school week. The entire first week was spent in individual examination of pupils to determine their knowledge of Spanish. The purpose of the individual examination was for a division of the students into three classes, depending upon their knowledge of the Spanish language. The pupils in each group, beginning, intermediate, and advanced, are taught according to their ability. By this method, children who already speak Spanish with some degree of proficiency are not retarded by others of the same grade who \\ INIFKED AXXE STICK, whose mother, Mrs. Virginia Stich, is employed as Librarian at Gorgas Hospital, is demonstrating her knowledge of Spanish to Mrs. Marcela de Diaz. The elementary students in the U. S. schools were examined individually before the start of Spanish classes in the first three grades this year so that they could be divided into three groups— beginning, intermediate, and advanced — for instruction according to their ability to ppoak Spanish. have no knowledge of the language. This division of the pupils means a reshuffling of the pupils on the three days when the team of three teachers visits the school for Spanish classes. Generally, the classes are large enough to avoid combining two or more grades for the Spanish instruction. The emphasis through the elementary schools will be on conversational Spanish and no grammar will be taught. Also, no reading or writing will be taught in the first three grades to avoid confusing the younger pupils' minds by two written languages. In fact, no books at all will be used for the beginners. Books will be introduced to the students only after they have progressed through the first half of their intermediate training. [ earning Is Dramatized Every effort will be made for pupils to learn the language easily and naturally, as though they were beginning to learn to talk. This will be done by means of word games, dramatization, and "vocabulary activities" in which the teacher will tell the pupil in Spanish what to do (such as close the door) and the pupil will follow instructions. A liberal use will also be made of pictures and illustrations for the beginners. As the children advance, they will be taught phrases, idioms, and additional words of common usage required for conversation. The simpler forms of verbs will be introduced to students after learning the Spanish names of common objects and things. Tape recorders, which have been found to be excellent for instruction in languages, will be widely used in the elementary Spanish instruction. These have been used for some time in Zone schools but an additional supply was purchased this year to provide each school with adequate equipment. "* The system of "visiting" Spanish teachers is not new to Zone schools but it is being greatly expanded this school year because of the extension of Spanish language classes to the first three grades which this year represents nearly a half of the entire student body in grades one through twelve. Launches Are Only Transportation For 6,000 Living Near Gatun Lake (Continued from page 3) or two as there sometimes are. Then there are the people, like young Digno Bondo and his widowed mother, Senora Anastasia. They had come from Ciri Grande and would go back that night. The young man would market 15 stems of bananas, at 45 to 50 cents each, and the mother would visit the doctor who had been treating her at Amador Guerrero dispensary. They had been to Colon 15 days before and would be coming again in another 15 days, if there were more bananas to market, and if the mother still needed medical attention. The Dondos were passengers in the launch Ciri Grande which is owned by the father of its captain, Aureliano Alvarez. He makes two trips a week to the village for which the launch is named, stopping at Escoval and Cuipo on route to Gatun. The trip takes two to three hours, depending on how much has to be loaded; the fare is 75 cents one way. More than one sick person has been carried free, if he happened not to have money to pay for his trip.

PAGE 5

October 1, 1954 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Recreation Areas For Young And Old Part Of Planning For Zone Townsites A large number of small plots of ground adjacent to new housing areas in the Canal Zone have been set aside and are being developed as open-air recreational areas for children. Although the big, supervised playgrounds for children and adults have long been a cardinal feature of the Canal Zone schools system, the provision of unsupervised play areas — with or without equipment -convenient to homes is a comparatively new idea in townsite planning. One of the most notable examples of this kind of playground is that recently opened at Los Rios. A large plot of ground in the town's center has been outfitted with swings, slides, a baseball diamond for young children, and a concrete slab for basketball and similar games. It is centrally located and can be reached by most of the children in the town without crossing a street. It is such areas as this which are being planned. Not all will be provided with playground equipment but they will be kept in shape so that children in the immediate neighborhood can use them without supervision at all hours of the day. And all are centrally located so that children in the neighborhood can get to them without crossing busy thoroughfares. Centralized Play Area The big playground at Los Rios is one of three in that town. Another is located at the top of the small hill near the center of town where the only trees were left standing after the extensive grading there. Already it has become a popular site for cowboys and war-whooping Indian hunters. A third play area, still undeveloped, has been set aside near the western end of the town between Anton and Cameron Streets. Diablo Heights was the first Canal Zone town for which the townsite planning included these small play areas. There are three large playgrounds already established there, and two additional play areas were provided in the planning for HOI'S were torn down and a street relocate play area for the children I to make space for this playground, the first real of Baboa elementary school. the new two-family quarters to replace the 12-family frame buildings. One of the new playgrounds is located on Sibert Street and a second is a half-acre plot between Walker Place and Sibert Street. Loth are near the Commissary and can be reached from there without crossing a street. No play equipment has been installed there up to now. Six Play Areas In Paraiso No less than six equipped playgrounds or play areas without equipment have been provided in Paraiso. Some of these, however, are being developed following the building program rather than as a part of the original townsite planning. This is also true in a number of other towns. In addition to the principal playgrounds near the Paraiso school, two big recreational areas are available. One is located at the top of a big curve on Espalba Street and is bordered on the other 1'AH AIS( ) children have plenty of room for any sort of game in the playground adjoining the school. side by Porcona Street, principally for the use of small children. A similar layout is located at the eastern end of the town along Gaillard Highway. Three play areas for small children have been provided in centralized housing areas. The principal playground area in Ancon is the one adjacent to the elementary school. This was regraded into two levels and has been reopened for both adult and children. New Playground Opens When the new housing development in Balboa Flats is completed, it will probably have more play areas for young children than any other Canal Zone community. The new elementary school play ground, dedicated this week, provides adequate play facilities for school children and residents in the area. Only makeshift equipment and play areas across the street from the school have been available before the two-acre plot was developed and equipped. Three other play areas are being provided in the Flats where the new housing is being erected. One, about a half acre in size, is located between the new Morgan Avenue and Las Cruces Street; a three-quarters acre plot is bounded by Las Cruces and Carr Streets; and another is between Carr and Owen Streets. The latter will provide one section for small children. Each of these is located where it can be reached by small fry without crossing streets. In addition to these, it is planned to develop a park and playground in the three-acre tract of land where the remaining four-family houses in the Flats are to be torn down. This will be sufficient size to have a softball diamond and other areas for organized games. Atlantic Side Play Areas Provisions for play areas at Rainbow City are slightly different than those in other Canal Zone towns. Here, practically every block has (See page i.',)

PAGE 6

THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1, 1954 FOR YOUR INTERESTED GUIDANCE IN ^CCIDENT PREVENTION DO YOU LIVE IN A HOUSE OF HAZARDS? HONOR ROLL Bureau Award For BEST RECORD AUGUST COMMUNITY SERVICES BUREAU CIVIL AFFAIRS BUREAU AWARDS THIS CALENDAR YEAR Community Services 6 Civil Affairs 3 Health 2 Supply 1 Engineering and Construction Marine -Transportation and Terminals Can you name all the fire hazards, unsafe conditions, and practices shown above? Turn to page 12 for a check on your safety knowledge • • Check your home for your own safety • • Help prevent fires During Fire Prevention V/eek clean out all trash which has accumulated in your home Division Award For NO DISABLING INJURIES AUGUST LOCKS DIVISION HOSPITALIZATION AND CLINICS DREDGING DIVISION SERVICE CENTER DIVISION INDUSTRIAL DIVISION ELECTRICAL DIVISION GROUNDS MAINTENANCE DIVISION DIVISION OF STOREHOUSES MOTOR TRANSPORTATION DIVISION AWARDS THIS CALENDAR YEAR Aids to Navigation 6 Motor Transportation 6 Sanitation <> Service Center 6 Electrical 4 Grounds Maintenance 4 Dredging 3 Hospitalization and Clinics 3 Industrial 2 Railroad 2 Storehouses 2 Locks 1 Maintenance 1 Navigation 1 Commissary Terminals AUGUST 1954 Community Services Bureau Civil Affairs Bureau Engineering and Construction Bureau C. Z. Govl.-Panama Canal Co. ( This Month I Marine Bureau Supply Bureau Transportation and Terminals Bureau Health Bureau C. Z. Govl.-Panami Canal Co ( Last 3-Year Av.) Disabling Injuries per 1,000.000 Man Hours Worked { Frequency Rale) 50 ^^:^<
PAGE 7

October 1, 1954 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW Jg-i-M^-t Official Panama Canal Company Publication Published Monthly at BALBOA HEIGHTS, CANAL ZONE Printed by the Printing Plant Mount Hope, Caiuil Zone John S. Seybold, GovernorPresident II. 0. Paxson, Lieutenant Governor William G. Arey, Jr. Public Information Officer J. Rufus Hardy, Editor Eleanor H. McIlhenny Editorial Assistant SUBSCRIPTION— $1.00 a year SINGLE COPIES -5 cents each On sale at all Panama Canal Service Centers, Commissaries, and Hotels for 10 days after publication date. SINGLE COPIES BY MAIL— 10 cents each BACK COPIES— 10 cents each On sale when available, from the Vault Clerk, Third Floor, Administration Building, Balboa Heights. Postal money orders should be made payable to the Treasurer, Panama Canal Company, and mailed to Editor, The Panama Canal Review, Balboa Heights, C. '/.. Fire Prevention Week Will Be Observed October 3 to 9 Fire Prevention Week will be held next week with a program designed to reach all Canal Zone residents of all ages. During the week special "Sparky" coloring-books will be given out to Zone school children; the youngsters will also visit the local fire stations. Fire equipment for first aid use will be demonstrated on either side of the Isthmus and competition drills will be held October 9 at the Curundu area between teams picked from the three military services. The Safety Page of this month's issue of The Panama Canal Review graphically depicts the fire hazards which can be found in many Canal Zone homes. Zonians should check the cartoon on page b' against the answers to be found on page 12 to see how many of the hazards shown occur in their own quarters. TWO YOUNG STUDENTS in auto mechanics at the La Boca Occupational high school learn about motors from George V. Richards, at the right, who is holding a distributor. They are Manuel Rivera, left, and Guillermo Payne, center. New regulations governing the use of franked mail in the Canal Zone became effective today. The new regulations follow those recently issued by the United States Postal Service and generally preclude the furnishing of free mail service to Government agencies other than the Company-Government. The only exceptions are the District Court, the United States District Attorney and Marshal, Selective Service, and the Census Office. Other mail matter that may be admitted free includes: Absentee ballots and balloting material for the Armed Forces; matter from members of the Armed Forces in the United States entitled to free mail privilege; reading matter for the blind; official matter of the Postal Service; reply-paid postal cards; return receipts; Pan American Union mail; and mail to and from prisoners of war and interned belligerents and civilians. An anchorage in Chesapeake Bay sheltered the S. S. Ancon and its passengers from hurricane "Edna" which swept up the Atlantic coast from the Caribbean last month. The Ancon sailed from New York the afternoon of September 9, two days later than its usual sailing date because of the Labor Day holiday. The following morning the ship was diverted from her usual course in order to avoid the storm. She put into the bay about noon Friday and remained there at anchor facing into the wind, until Saturday morning. The bay was calm but the wind and rain were heavy. Although one passenger reported that she wouldn't have known that there was a hurricane in the vicinity except for radio report--, the ship's supply of anti-seasick pills was immediately exhausted by less hardy passengers who did not want to take any chances as to what "Edna" might bring. Twelve applications were submitted by Company-Government employees for entry in the third year's competition for the Rockefeller Public Service Awards for which nation-wide selection will be made in the early part of 1955. As this issue of The Panama Canal REVIEW went to press, the applications were being processed by the Personnel Bureau. Those which were endorsed were to be sent to Princeton LIniversity which administers the program. Only 10 or 11 civilian employees of the executive branch of the Federal Government are selected annually for the Public Service Awards which enable each recipient to spend from six months to a year at an institution of his choice or in some comparable educational activity. Another phase of the 60-cycle conversion program in the Canal Zone has been started by the advertisement of bids to furnish four new generators for the Gatun hydroelectric plant. These are the first bids for equipment needed for the project. The specifications provide that the four generators be furnished and installed. It is hoped to have the installation completed by May 1956. Three of the generators will be of 3,750 kva capacity, and the fourth ol 5,625 kva, which are of the same capacity as those now in use. Meanwhile, the conversion program got further impetus during the past month by the house-to-house canvass to survey frequency sensitive equipment in the homes of the Atlantic side. The engineers in charge of this survey, which started the first of the month in Gatun, say that they have received excellent cooperation in the program. Forty Years Ago In September The Canal had been built and ships were going through; the construction period was over. In September 1914, the Canal force numbered 28,199, a decrease of almost 4,500 in a two-month period. There is no better indication of the state of things than this warning from The Canal Record: "The Isthmus is no place for men seeking work . The continued arrival of the unemployed at Colon, in the face of the present labor congestion, menaces the welfare and sscurity of the resident population and it is necessary that all reasonable means be taken to curtail this undesirable immigration." There is no record of the employees' reaction, but The Canal Record announced the following: "Eaeh permanent male employee of the Panama Canal on the Gold Roll is to he given a physical examination . This procedure is in line with work done by life insurance companies among their policy holders, and is comparable to a general examination and overhaul given machinery."

PAGE 8

THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1, 1954 YOUR TOWN THE OLD TIYOLI makes a background for some of Ancon's newest houses. President Theodore Roosevelt and his official party were the Tivoli's first guests. If the powers that were in 1904 and 1905 had been able to figure out an inexpensive and practical method of reaching the top of Ancon Hill, Ancon would not look anything like it do?s today. Glowing from the summit of the 654-foot hill would be the lights of homes and hospitals instead of today's constellation of aircraft warning lights. For months after the United States took over the rights and properties of the French Canal Company in 1904, American officials discussed some feasible way of reaching the hilltop. They agreed that it was a perfect location for anywhere from 14 to 25 houses and two sanitariums. They considered and discarded the idea of a regular railway, a cog railway, a cable railway, and a macadam road "with a stage running at frequent intervals." The plans which were suitable to the steep ascent were unsuitable because of cost. Finally, in April 1905, they abandoned all idea of the summit site and settled on the lower slopes of the hill for their town. Ancon: Anchorage The name Ancon, which means roadstead or anchorage, goes back hundreds of years in Isthmian history. In 1545 Gonzalo Pizarro, seeking to control the Isthmus of Panama and its rich ports, sent two expeditions from Peru. The first pillaged the old city of Panama before it was recalled. The second was divided into two forces, one of which, under Rodrigo de Carbajal, landed at Ancon, a small cove two leagues from Panama. In 1674 the new city of Panama was laid out beside this cove; 200 years later the French Company selected a hillside overlooking the roadstead as the site of its hospital. When the Americans came they used the name "Port of Ancon" for what was later to be the Pacific terminus of the Canal. The first town of Ancon was one of five Canal Zone municipalities, each administered by a mayor and council. According to the Isthmian Canal Commission, it was to be "the seat of the government of the Canal Zone and the place of residence of a large proportion of the Americans on the Isthmus." Although headquarters for the Canal construction force were moved to Culebra three years later, Ancon did remain the main governmental and medical center for the Canal Zone throughout the construction period. In 1912 a local writer commented that there were people in Ancon who had never seen the Canal construction except from the windows of railroad cars. Hospital Grounds The first American construction in Ancon was the repair and expansion of the rambling 500-bed French hospital. Some of its wooden wards dated back to 1883; they were reconditioned and pavilions and second floors added. By 1907 Ancon Hospital had 96 buildings, 47 of them wards. All of these wx're in what was known as the Hospital Grounds. A gate across its palm-bordered entrance road, approximately opposite the present residence of the Episcopal bishop, separated the hospital grounds from the rest of Ancon. It was kept locked at night and late comers had to ring a bell for admission. The first housing was crude. Married officers detailed to the Ancon police station lived in tents. One three-family house had only one bathroom. New quarters were built or old French buildings made fit for habitation as fast as possible and by 190S Ancon was a village of 1,508. At that, it was Isss than a third the size of Culebra. Outside of the hospital, the biggest buildings in town were the Hotel Tivoli, which had been opened officially in January 1907, and the Administration Building, now the District Court. After 190S, it housed the offices of the Civil Administration and of Sanitation, which until that time had been in Panama City. Ancon In 1907 A supreme court and a circuit court were located near the present post office in an old French building, and a corral for the horses and mules which pulled official transportation was close by. Officials of the Isthmian Canal Commission were housed in large quarters on Fourth of July Avenue; the quarters once occupied by Joseph Bucklin Bishop, the Commission's Secretary, are now the residence of the District Judge. The quarters of the Chief Health Officer were on a knoll behind St. Luke's Cathedral, then a steepled wooden chapel; other doctors and officers of the civil administration lived in the large houses still standing on Columbia Road. A frame building on Reservoir Hill, levelled two years ago when the present housing was laid out, was the elementary school. One of the teachers in that school was Mrs. Ora Ewing, now housemother for the junior college dormitory. No Commissary She lived in a four-family house on Fourth of July Avenue, looking out over a large field where the National Institute now stands. There was no commissary in Ancon, she recalls. Each week she made out food orders for six days and sent them and a $15 commissary book to Cristobal. The orders were delivered each morning after the train arrived from the Atlantic side. Unlike most other towns, there was no clubhouse in Ancon and therefore, no .---."" mmVJl; ~ K \LI. DRESSED IT', with someplace to go! The ladies donned their fancied hats, with veils, and the gentlemen their most dazzling white flannels when the Ancon Amusement Association chartered the SS Ai/mn in February 1908 for a trip to the Pearl Islands.

PAGE 9

October 1, 1954 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW ANCON HARRY CORN In charge of Ancon's Post Office planned amusement. The people made their own fun. The men went to the various lodges, like the Masons, Kangaroos, or the Knights of Pythias, which had space over a quartermaster storehouse; the women belonged to the very active Woman's Club, and later, to the Ancon Morning Musicale Society, disbanded only a few years ago. The Tivoli was the scene of regular cotillions; the Ancon Amusement Association, of which Mr. Ewing was a eharter member, arranged dances, picnics, sports, and even, once, chartered a large oceangoing steamer for a trip to the Pearl Islands. Round trip was $2 a person; children under six went free. Society was fairly formal. Calling cards were part of every lady's equipment, and oldtimers remember one woman who always wore a hat to her own tea parties. Permanent Town By 1907 Ancon was beginning to spread beyond its original confines of Hospital Grounds and Tivoli. Fourteen buildings were constructed in what is now the San Juan Place area to house the insane patients who had been cared for originally at the hospital proper and later in a building near Miraflores. About 1915 the patients were transferred to Corozal and the buildings converted to quarters. For years they enjoyed the dubious distinction of being haunted by crazy ghosts which, anyone knows, are worse than regular ghosts. In 1910 the corral was moved to a location not far from the Insane Asylum where it remained until 1938 when it was moved to Gaillard Highway. As the Canal neared completion, Ancon's future was uncertain. Finally, in 1914 The Canal Record announced the official decision that the settlement at Ancon be continued indefinitely. The permanent force to be housed there was to be about 161 families and 130 bachelors. A number of quarters were brought in from Culebra, Empire, and Bas Obispo and re-erected in Ancon and some new houses were built. Construction Began The present commissary was built in 1914 on the site of an old French building; for years tradition had it linked by a tunnel to the hospital buildings. Plans were drawn up for a new school, still in use, and a clubhouse, the town's first, S. D. CALLENDER Pacific Service Center Manager was built near the commissary. This clubhouse, a two-story frame structure, was burned to the ground in 1924 in Ancon's most spectacular fire. Capt, R. E. Wood, Chief Quartermaster, Dr. A. B. Herrick, then Acting Superintendent of Ancon Hospital, and Samuel Hitt, Canal architect, were appointed to a committee to submit recommendations for reconstructing the hospital. The first of the hospital's present buildings was authorized in 1915. The Ancon restaurant, later known as the Clubhouse, was built in 1917. Up to that time the streets had no official names. Houses were numbered, and not very logically at that, and locating a particular residence was difficult. C. A. Mcllvaine, then Executive Secretary, suggested a number of somewhat poetic names — Lovers Lane, High and Low Roads, Sleepy Hollow, and Palm Court — but his suggestions were not adopted. It was not until 1920 that Ancon Boulevard, Gorgas Road, Columbia and Culebra Roads, for instance, came into official being. For a decade the town went on its quiet way. Its only excitement in the early 1920's was a rash of burglaries committed by a daring character named Peter Williams. Oldtimers declare that he used to notify the police in advance of the location of his next burglary. Whether or not that is true, he eventually fell afoul of the law and was shot and killed by the police CHARLES L. LATHAM, Jr. Ancon Commissary Manager while fleeing along an Ancon drainage ditch. Fishbowl, Doctors' Knob By the early 1930's the Ancon housing situation was acute; newcomers had no place to live except "vacation quarters" for sometimes as long as two years. Twelve two-family houses and two cottages were built near the hospital for doctors' quarters. The section was immediately and obviously christened the "Fishbowl." The early 40's brought the completion of the houses in the Old Corral area; emergency 12-family housing on Frangipani Street and new quarters for the doctors on Herrick Heights. Unnamed for some time, this section near the Ancon Courthouse was irreverently referred to in official files as "Doctor's Knob." Then came the war. Like other towns, Ancon lived through blackouts, air-raid alerts, civil defense drills. Makeshift sandbag shelters appeared under houses and in side yards; starred service flags swung in windows. Planes from North and South America landed and took off from the Air Terminal on Gaillard Highway, now the Civil Affairs Building. Almost overnight a huge building appeared over the edge of the hill below the Tivoli; built by the USO for use of the thousands of local and visiting servicemen, it is now the Pacific Clubhouse. After the war, building was again resumed in Ancon. About (See page n) MISS DOVA ANTILL School Principal DR. ROBERT BERGEH Ancon'a Doctor

PAGE 10

10 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1, 1954 Up And Down The Banks Of The Canal Governor's Office Winfield S. Ireland, of the Postal Service in Balboa, was the firs) employee to receive travel authority for home leave under the pew regulations. Several othei employees who sailed on the first Panama Line ship in September were granted authority for reimbursement "I their vacation travel expenses, bul the Transportation Section completed ., travel order for Mr. and Mrs. Ireland and tlu-ir three children to go to Phoenix, Ariz. He had planned to take local leave but changed to a Stan-' vacation after legislation was passed granting the free travel lor home Icav e. • • • Leo B. Harrington, formerly a municipal employee in Wilkcs-Barre, Pennsylvania, has been employed, as a slenotypist in the Administrative Branch. He is the first full-time itenotypist to be employed in the Canal organization. m m • \ general reshuffling of desks and assignment of office space has been made in the Vdmintstrative Branch office. All units which perform services for the general public are now located along the left side ol the big office in Room 244 of the Administration Building. These include the \ ital Statistics unit. Transportation Section, and personnel in charge of issuing special Commissary authority cards, gasoline purchase cards, police clearances, authentications, and Canal Zone entry and reentry permits. The Immigration Section has been moved to the small office on the porch adjoining Room 202. Engineering and Construction The design force of the Engineering Division has been concentrating its energies I. itc !% on the conversion of Coco Solo Hospital Much of the design work is being done in the field with the construction forces. The major design work, such as the enlarged air conditioned laboratory, is being done in the office. The work at Contractors Hill is proving of interest to diversified groups and l.t. Col. E. B. Jennings, Project Engineer, has lately filled several speaking engagements in addition to his busy schedule at the project. The Panama Rotary Club and the Natural History Society were two large groups who recently' heard Col. Jennings explain the big project. • • • /•:. II'. Zelnick, Chief of the Water ami Laboratories Branch, recently returned from a three-month vacation in the States with his family. He started his leave by attending the convention of the American Water Work* Association in Seattle, Washington, as an qffi, ml representative. Later he and his family visited in Minnesota ami Chicago. The Dredging Division's craneboat Atlas had ,i busy day early in August when it in. idithree trips through the Cut with school children from the Republic of Panama. Pupils from the Chile School, No. 1. Simon Bolivar School, and the Jose Agusto Vrango School made the sightseeing trip I . new apartments. The contracting firm has announced that the remaining 17 houses, with 32 apartments, will be available by the latter part of next January. Mrs. Janet Pienz. who is well known to many hundreds of patrons of Service Center restaurants on the Pacific side, has been m charge of the food preparation at the Hotel Washington since its return to the Canal Company operation. Her job of supervising the restaurant service at Pedro Miguel and the Administration Building is being filled by L. A. Montavani. • • • A new hot water system has been installed in the kitchen of the Tivoli Guest House which will provide an adequate supply of water at the proper temperature at all times Even this far in advance of the Yuletide season, the Service Centers have received and placed on sale such Christmas supplies as American and British greeting cards, candies, gift sets, and other holiday supplies. New phonograph records have been received or are on order. • • • One of the top tourist attractions in the Canal Zone other than the Canal and its big locks is the Canal Zone Experiment Gardens. This show place is visited monthly by approximately 200 persons who tour the gardens to see variety of plants. Main ol the visitors have a scientific interest in the plant propagation and development program. Among recent visitors of this category was Dr. Theodore P. Hass, faculty member of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science. Transportation and Terminals A yisit to the Cristobal piers was made last month by one of the two heaviest-lift ships under the American flag. It was the I'SXS Pvt. Leonard C. Brostrom, a converted C4 ship for loading and unloading heavy cargo without shoreside lift facilities. It and a sifter ship were recently converted by the Bethlehem Steel Company and both lifted as much as 180 long tons in a single-boom lift during yard tests. Decision to convert the two ships by the Military Sea Transportation Service grew out of experience in the Korean conflict in unloading heavy machinery and other cargo without adequate port facilities to unload railroad locomotives and other such equipment. Jack Kaplan who was employed as an aula repair machinist in the Motor Transportation Division for more than 10 years is now in Liberia. West Africa. He resigned from the Canal service in October of last year and had been employed in Youngstown, Ohio, until recently. His new job is "With the Firestone Plantations Company in Harbcl. Liberia. "After working here in Africa, the Canal Zone is a paradise," he wrote to TillCvnai REVIEW.

PAGE 11

October 1, 1954 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW 11 Marine Bureau John W. Litton who made a long trip to Tahiti and the South Pacific after leaving the Canal service in 1950 has been reemployed as a machinist in the Industrial Division. He is assigned to the Balboa Shops. He was employed in the Balboa Shops from September 1140 until his reduction-in-force in April 1950. He then joined a private yacht making an extended tour of the South Pacific. He relumed to the Isthmus and was reemployed temporarily on the Locks overhaul in l'J53. He returned to Tahiti for another long vacation immediately afterwards. Before rejoining the Canal service last month he had been employed for about six months at the Naval Shipyard in Pearl Harbor. A group of about 60 friends attended a gala farewell party for Worden H. Cowen who retired last month as Director ot Admeasurement. The party was held at the Army and Navy Club. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cowen, who have already left the Isthmus to make their home in Illinois, were presented with farewell gifts. The Aids to Navigation Section has now completed its move from Gatun to Gamboa. The transfer of the personnel and equipment was the biggest such move made by a Canal unit from one side of the Isthmus to the other since the headquarters of the Panama Railroad were moved to the Atlanticside three years ago last month. A highly successful office party was held early in September by the employees in the Balboa Port Captain's office. The party was held to celebrate the promotions of R. M. Collins to Harbormaster and George Riley to Dock Foreman. Also thrown in as part of the purpose for the celebration w r ere the return of Pete Riley from vacation and the recent consolidation of the Boarding Party personnel. Comptroller's Office The Accounts Classification Section in the Accounting Division has been transferred to the Accounting Systems Staff. The move involved the transfer of two employees, Robert V. Chenalloy and Howard Lewis. Lindsley H. Noble, Comptroller, is presently on leave of absence in the States for a period of about six weeks. It is a combined official business trip and vacation. He will attend a meeting of the Board of Directors of the Panama Canal Company early in October, and will also appear with the Governor before the Bureau of the Buiiget on hearings on the Company-Government budgets for the coming fiscal war. The budgets for the Panama Canal Company and Canal Zone Government for the fiscal year 1956 were completed and forwarded to the Bureau of the Budget within the due date set by the Director of the Budget. The budget was completed and forwarded this year somewhat earlier than in previous years. New York Office R. H. Halsey, Jr., Freight Traffic Manager of the Panama Line, arrived on the S. S. Panama last Monday for a visit to the Canal Zone. He is accompanied on his trip by Mrs. Halsey. Before coming to the Isthmus. Mr. and Mrs. Halsey spent a week in Port-auPrince to give him an opportunity to meet the various Panama Line shippers in Haiti. During his visit here he has been conferring with various Canal officials on matter-, regarding freight traffic. Civil Affairs Bureau Your Town — Ancon SIDNEY KING Sydney King, oldest employee in the Polit e Division and one of the oldest employees, in point of service, of any Canal employee, retired at the end of September after 43 years of continuous service. He came to the Isthmus from his home in Trinidad, and was employed November 10, 1911. He was one of the crack pistol shots of the Police Division and had been employed for the past several years at the Penitentiary in Gamboa. He will be honor guest at a big farewell party given by friends, co-workers, and officials Saturday afternoon in the industrial shops area at the Penitentiary. • • • Bright yellow letters and figures on a black background will be the color scheme for Canal Zone license plates next year. These are the reverse of this year's auto tags. Scientific studies have established that these colors can be more easily seen at a distance than any other color combination. Beginning next year, the License Section plans to adopt the use of standard sized license plates, six by twelve inches to conform with the standard now established throughout most of the United States. The new plates will be issued beginning December 1. • • • Captain Arthur J. 'Troup, Chief of the Fire Division, has two big events on schedule during his present leave in the Stales. He will attend the wedding of his son, Arthur Jay Troup, Jr., and the International Association of Fire Chiefs which will be hcdl this year in Houston, Tex. During his absence, Captain II'. E. Jones, Commander of the Balboa Fire District, is acting as Chief of the Division. William G. Dolan, Chief of Civil Defense of the Canal Zone, is in the Stales to attend the Federal Civil Defense operations course at Olney, Md., and a State Civil Defense Directors meeting in Chicago. Before his return on October 16, he will also inspect the civil defense organization at the Oak Ridge Atomic Energy installation. Lieutenant E. L. Cotton is Acting Chief of Civil Defense during Ins absence. • • • George V. Richards, teacher of auto mechanics at the La Boca Occupational High School for the past seven years, attended the General Motors Institute in Flint, Mich., during the past summer. He completed a four-week course in auto mechanic teacher training to bring himself up-to-date on the latest repair methods for automatic transmission, power steering, and other recent developments in modern automobile transportation. Mrs. Ella L. Pease, who has charge of the children's section at the Canal Zone Library. left last month for a year's sabbatical leave to enter the University of Illinois. Miss Pease's home is Marion, Illinois, and she has been employed for 25 years continuously in the Library. (Continued from page 9) 1950 the new "Gyn-Ob" building was added to the Gorgas hospital group, and a site cleared for a clinic building, still to be built. Flame Throwers The haunted old quarters and the beautiful trees on San Juan Place fell before the bulldozers. Reservoir Hill, for many years a residence for women bachelors was so levelled that it can no longer be called a hill. Ancon Boulevard was relocated and the dreary old four-family houses which had stood flush with its sidewalks became debris. Army flamethrowers burned some of the wreckage where it lay. Today some parts of Ancon look like the gap-toothed mouths of little boys. Old houses are being torn down as they are vacated, and it will not be many months before they are all gone. Boundaries Where Ancon begins and ends is a matter of question. On one side it is separated from Panama by Fourth of July Avenue, whose name dates back at least to 1909 and probably earlier. The border, generally, is the Panama-side curb of the avenue. On the other end of town the dividing line between Ancon and Balboa, for taxi-fare purposes, is the Administration Building. For school purposes, however, the Fishbowl, San Juan Place, and the Old Corral area, and everything west of these sections, are considered in the Balboa elementary school area. It has three churches, all well patronized. Sacred Heart Chapel and the Cathedral of St. Luke began their lives as chapels inside the hospital grounds. The First Church of Christ, Scientist, on Ancon Boulevard was once the Ancon courthouse. It was moved to its present location in 1916 and has since been enlarged. Voracious Deer Ancon has a greenhouse, the only one in the Canal Zone. It has the only hotel in the Canal Zone, though it is now known as the Tivoli Guest House. Its hospital is the only one on the Pacific side. The marriages, adoptions, divorces, and estates of hundreds of its citizens are recorded in the files of its District Court. It also has some of the most voracious deer outside a jungle. One resident has an electrified fence around his yard to keep them out of his garden. Many of the people who live in Ancon have never lived anywhere else. Nor do they want to. Once an Anconite, always an Anconite, they'll tell you. Two former Canal Zone customs inspectors have written friends that they have established business operations on opposite coasts of the tinted States. Charles E. Johnston, who resigned several months ago, is now in the egg and poultry business in Kissimmee, Fla., while Waller H. Morton and his family are now well established in their Royal Motel at El Monte, Calif.

PAGE 12

12 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1, 1954 HOUSE OF HAZARDS 1. All [C Fires arc caused by: .i. Excessive storage "I old papers, cartons, etc. in attic. Ii. 1 sing matches to light \ our wa\ c. Piling things against open i-lrclric.il wiring 2. BEDROOM Fires ancaused l>\ : a. Falling asleep while smoking in bed. I. ( Garments touching or i overing dryclosel heatei c. Closet crammed with flammable paper boxes which adds more fuel. V BA I II Vim cm he injured or electrocuted by: a. I sing a radio in the bathroom. b. Pull-chain fixture without insulating link over lavator) c. Using an electric hair dryer or Ian nut properly grounded. d. II Mm --lip in a tub taking a shower. I se nonslip rubber pads. I Kl rCHEN Fires are caused by: a. Wind-blown curtains near the stove. I I. Hot grease left with burner on high, c. Oil stoves not kept clean and in repair. (I. Kitchen matches left scattered around for children to play with. Accidents are caused by: a. Grease spilled and left cm the floor. b. Sauce pan handles left so the pan can be knocked nil the stove. c. Pull-chain fixture over sink without insulating link. d. Using defective electrical appliances where they can -hcirt through you tu sink. 5. LIVING ROOM— Fires are caused by: a. Overloaded electrical circuits heating concealed wires. il. Electrical lamp cords installed along baseboard and under carpet. C. Electric lamp cords allowed to become worn down to bare wires. d. Cigarettes left smoldering on ash trays which may fall on a rug. e. Flicking cigar or pipe ashes into wastepaper basket. (,. LAUNDRY Fires are caused by: a. Leaving hot electric iron connected while doing something else. Ii. Substituting pennies for fuses. C. Overloading one outlet with execssi\ e appliances. Accidents are caused by: a. Metal floor lamp being used as an extension cord. I.. Old ice box drains which may become energized from electric refrigerator. c. Lead wire from aerial which may become energized through radio. 7. HOBBY SHOPS— hires may be started by: a. Paint and oil-soaked rags left lying in the corners. b. Hot sparks or cigarettes tailing into wood sha\ ings. c. Gasoline used as a cleaning fluid. d. Excessive lumber, paint, and other flammables lL s fuel for small fires. Accidents are caused l>\ : a. Ungrounded electrical equipment and unguarded saws. Ii. Worn and exposed electric wires. c. Using tools with which you are unfamiliar or in an unsafe manner. s GAR VGE hires are caused by: .i I s( ot gasoline for cleaning parts. Ii. Not storing gasoline in approved safet\ cans. c. ( lasoline and excessix e grease spilled on the floor. d. Short circuit in extension cord. smoking, or an) spark, around gasoline fumes. Mont pile or store material w here il max interfere with the automatic operation ol sprinkler heads. \. i idents are caused bv: a. Running an engine in a closed garage. b. Depending on the jack alone to keep the car from falling. c Worn or defective extension cords which may short through you to ground. Ten Years Ago In September Although the war in Europe had seven months more to run something which no one could predict 10 years ago last month the Canal Zone was going to be prepared for a Victory Celebration. Committees from both sides of the Isthmus met to make plans for fitting ceremonies to be held when the day came. The Pacific sitle settled on a ceremony at Balboa Stadium; the Atlantic side chose a parade. September I, 1943, almost 80,000 passengers had entered or left the Canal Zone through the air terminals at Balboa and Cristobal. From Washington eame word that the War Department had declared former Canal Zone policeman Ruel K. Boone officially dead. A gunner on a bomber, he had been shot down near Dieppe, France, in February, and had been reported as missing in action. He ivas 24 years old. All 14 gates at the Gatun spillway were opened September 29 for the first time in Canal Zone history. The spilling was done for lake level regulation and for spillway channel tests. The highest number of spillway gates which had been opened previously was 13, in November 1932. Within a two-year period the parcsntage of the Canal-Railroad payroll invested monthly in war bonds through the payroll deduction plan had practically tripled, according to a report of the Canal Zone war bond committee. Over 95 percent of the employees were buying bonds by payroll deduction; 18.26 percent of the payroll was being invested in bonds each month through this plan. Canal Zone residents had to go back to the old prescription system of obtaining milk. A decreasing supply of fresh milk from Mindi Dairy made the action necessary. The plan was the same as that used in 1942 when milk rationing had also been necessary. Milk was to go first to small babies, with priorities decreasing with the age of the milk drinker. Air travel had increased markedly, figures released by the Customs Bureau showed. In the one-year period beginning The sentences of four Italian officers who had been convicted in 1942 of sabotaging the 23,000-ton liner Conte Biancamano while the ship lay in Cristobal harbor were commuted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. They had been sentenced to three years each for sabotage and one year each for conspiracy. A $5,000 fine had also been imposed. It Is Later Than You Think! TOY PREVIEWS WHKN? Friday, October 15; 3 to 5:30 p. in., 7 to 9 p. m. WHERE? Atlantic Side Toy Center, near Camp Hierd Service Center Pacific Side ToyCenter, opposite Balboa Annex Fa Boca Commissary Tivoli Commissary Camp Bierd Commissar) Rainbow Citv Commissary Toy Sale begins the following day

PAGE 13

October 1, 1954 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW 13 ANNIVERSARIES t GEORGE N. ENGELKE Senior in Service Everyone Calls Him "Brown' At Diablo Heights Commissary George N. Engelke, who has the longest continuous service of any American citizen now on the Panama Canal Company-Canal Zone Government rolls, heads this month's list of anniversaries, with 43 years of Canal service. Except for five months of his working life, when he was a manifest clerk for the now defunct California-Atlantic Steamship Company in 1911, he has never worked for any other organization. Furthermore, all of his Canal service has been with the Commissary Division or its pre-1914 equivalent. He began September 5, 1911, as a wrapper and checker, and has worked his way up through the Commissary Division to his present post, Assistant General Manager. Born in Athens, Ga., he came to the Canal Zone in 1909; his father, H. N. Engelke, was a machinist in the Canal shops for many years. Mr. Engelke holds the Roosevelt Medal and is one of three employees whose service dates back to the construction period. Three employees share the No. 2 anniversary post. Each has 35 years of government service. All have continuous Canal service. Gaspar de Paredes, a native of Panama, has always worked for the Commissary Division. He is now a Commissary Assistant at the cold storage platform at Balboa. W. H. Esslinger, as Chief Hydrographer, is the Canal's weatherman; he just talks about the weather and says he doesn't do anything about it. Born in Alabama, he came here as an Observer in the Surveys Branch. Cleveland Schecker, Secretary of the Disability Relief Board, is a native Brooklynite. He began his service here as a clerk in the Personnel Bureau and has always been in Personnel work. September was Silver Anniversary month for four Canal employees. They are; Miss Hallie Beavers, who teaches mathematics at Balboa High School ; George Carter Orr, an operator on the big suction dredge Mindi; Walter G. Peterson, whose title is Supervisory Meat Processing Specialist for the Commissary Division; and Gordon H. Thompson, Marine Bunkering Foreman for the Terminals Division in Balboa. Two of this month's 20-year employees — both teachers — went to work for the Canal organization on the same day — September 20, 1934. They are Miss Thora M. Baublits, who is at the South Margarita School, and Miss Helen M. Starr, principal of the Fort Kobbe school. Eight other 20-year employees have unbroken Canal service. They are: Arthur A. Albright, Lockmaster at Gatun — his service is continuous with the Locks Division; Harry V. Cain, Head Stevedore Foreman for the Terminals Division; W. F. Cunningham, Auditor in the Internal Audits Staff; George P. Fullman, Supervisor with the Meter Repair Unit of the Maintenance Division; Parker P. Hanna, a Steam Engineer with the Terminals Division; William Kosan, who works with the Industrial Division as a machinist; Charles A. Stewart, a Lock Operator Machinist with the Pacific People who see him buzzing around the Diablo Heights Commissary or ask "Brown" to help them carry packages to their cars probably have no idea that he was once a lightweight contender and that his name isn't Brown at all. The "Brown" comes from the days when he was fighting in Jamaica, Panama, Colombia, and the United States, under the name of "Baby Al Brown." The name by which he was christened some 34 years ago in St. Ann's, Jamaica, is Horace Lloyd Morgan. Today his ring days are far behind him. Occasionally, when he has an opportunity he goes to local prize fights or listens to radio broadcasts of big bouts in the States, but he hasn't touched leather to skin for several years. He has no regrets about his ring career, however. He said, philosophically, the other day: "Boxing, generally, is a clean sport. It sets a man up to realize what the world's made of. How much he can give and how much he can take, that's what makes a man." Started As Amateur "Brown" started boxing as an amateur in Jamaica, about 1935, as a paperweight, Before he ended his fighting career he had fought men 10 pounds heavier, although most of his last bouts were in the lightweight class. He came to the Canal Zone as a contract worker in March 1941. His first job was with the Municipal Division; later he worked for the Commissary and Schools Divisions and for the Receiving and Forwarding Agency at the Balboa Docks. He has been with the CornLocks; and Joseph C. Turner who, in his capacity as Treasurer of the Panama Canal Company, signs checks worth millions of dollars every month. Other 20-year employees are Mrs. Ethel E. Askew, whose job is that of Accounting Clerk with the Agents Accounts Branch; Ralph H. Kirkpatrick, a Cabinet Maker for the Industrial Division and, like Mrs. Askew, a native Canal Zonian; George T. McLintock, Industrial Division Electroplater; Robert G. Richardson, a Shipping Foreman for the Commissary Division, also a native Zonian; and Stanwood O. Specht, a Mechanic Operator-Foreman for the Electrical Division. Four of the 14 employees who completed 15 years of Government service in September work for the Locks Division; two of the four have the same service date and hold identical jobs. The 15-year twins are Frank J. Dolan and Harry F. Willenbrock. They went to work for the Canal September 21, 1939 and both are Control House Operators at Miraflores Locks. The other Lock employees who had 15th anniversaries last month are Charles J. Sorrell, a Lock Operator Wireman Leader at Miraflores, and Charles Swearingen, a Control House Operator at Gatun. All have unbroken service. Also with unbroken service are: Miss Claude M. Aycock of the Balboa High School faculty; Curtis B. Darden, a custons inspector at Balboa; Maenner B. Huff, Systems Accountant in the Accounting Systems Staff; Herbert G. Kelly, Plant Electrician for the Commissary Division; John F. Meehan, pilot; and Isaac Price, an engineer with the Railroad Division. Other 15-year employees are: John F. Frensley, Jr., a Railroad engineer; Dorothy Hood who, as a Copyholder at the Printing Plant, helps get out The Panama Canal Review; John Montayne, a Systems Accountant in the Accounting Division; and Mrs. Lillie W. Wood, Staff Dietician at Gorgas Hospital. "BROWN" is usually available to help Diablo Heights Commissary customers with their packages. missary Division again since 1946 and at the Diablo Heights store for about a year. He began to fight professionally in Panama soon after he arrived on the Isthmus. Most of his first bouts were in Colon but he soon extended his activities to Panama City. He believes his > best fight was one with Young Finnegan of Colon before what newspapers described as a record-breaking crowd in the National Stadium in July 1943. The fight went 10 rounds and "Brown" had Finnegan on the canvas in the second round. The final decision went to Finnegan but, quoting the local press again, it was a close one. The next year "Brown" fought Chalky Wright, former world's featherweight champion, in Panama. Wright not only reported him to be a "rough, tough, fellow," but persuaded him to go to the States to try his luck. "Brown" did, via Colombia and Jamaica, where he received a tumultous welcome as a local boy who had made good. Madison Square Garden His States fights included two at Madison Square Garden, one of them against Julio Jimenez, Mexican lightweight champion, and several in New Jersey. What with one thing and another, fighting did not prove to be as profitable as "Brown" had expected although he was doing well and was receiving good press notices. So he came back to Panama and since about 1946 has been an "ex" in the fighting game. Today he keeps himself busy working in the commissary and being a family man. He lives in Panama with his wife and three little Morgans, two boys and a girl. The older boy is Orelio Washington — he was born on Washington's Birthday in 1948. The little girl, who was born a few months after her family lost all their belongings in a fire in Panama City in 1949, is Hortensia, and the baby, now 18 months old, is named Alleroy Marcus. Orelio is in school now, in Panama. So far, he hasn't shown any interest in boxing, but if he does he has a good teacher right in the family. "I'll teach him, if he wants to learn," "Brown" says.

PAGE 14

14 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1,1954 PROMOTIONS AND TRANSFERS August 15 Through September 15 Employees who were promoted or transferred between August 15 and Septembei 15 are listed below. Regradings and withingrade promotions are not listed. ADMINISTRATIVE BRANCH Mrs. Virginia D. Cunningham, from Clerk-Typist, Duplicating Unit, to File Clerk, Records Section. CIVIL AFFAIRS BUREAU Division of Schools Mrs. Artemis M. Sousa, Mrs. Bellamy P. Laatz, Mrs. Wanda J. Layne, Mrs. Grace R. Larimore, Mrs. Suzanne S. Granzow, Mrs. Theresa E. Hunter, Mrs. Jacqueline M. Conn, Mrs. Mary E. Cost, from Substitute Teacher to Elementary School Teacher. Mrs. Miriam S. Hirschl, Mrs. Mary G. Conklin, from Kindergarten Assistant to Elementary School Teacher. Mrs. Ethel V. Bialowski, from Junior High School Teacher to Elementary School Teacher. Ross E. Anderson, from Recreation Supervisor to Physical Education Teacher. Physical Education and Recreation Branch. Linda C. Appin, Clerk-Stenographer, from Police Division to Division of Schools. Mrs. Alfhild M. Maedl, Mrs. Mercedes A. Smith, from High School Teacher to Substitute Teacher. Clarence R. Vosburgh, from Junior College Instructor to High School Teacher. Ann L. Prahler, from High School Teacher to Junior College Instructor. Robert C. Connor from Student Assistant. Surveys Branch, to Life Guard, Physical Education and Recreation Branch. Mrs. Harriet K. Serger, Mrs. Norma C. Belland, Mrs. Vera G. Irving, Mrs. Bessie C. Herring, Mrs. Vera C. Phillips, Mrs. Ethel P. McDermitt, from Elementary School Teacher to Substitute Teacher. Jacqulyn M. Schofield, from Library Assistant to Substitute Teacher. Mrs. Jane N. Clinton, from Elementary School Teacher to Kindergarten Assistant. Richard W. Angstadt, from Student Assistant, Navigation Division, to Student Aid, Library OFFICE OF THE COMPTROLLER Richard H. Egolf, from Accountant, General Accounts Branch, to Bookkeeping Machine Unit Supervisor, Machine ('nit Branch. Catherine Joustra, from Clerk-Typist, General Accounts Branch, to Bookkeeping Machine Operator, Machine Unit Branch. Mrs. Edna J. Hummer, from Accounting Clerk, Cost Accounts Branch to Bookkeeping Machine Operator, Machine Unit Branch. Mrs. Catherine B. Sigl, Mrs. Frances P. Smith, Shirley A. McNall, from Card Punch Operator, Cost Accounts Branch to Bookkeeping Machine Operator, Machine I nit Branch. Mrs. Janet S. McLaughlin, Bookkeeping Machine Operator, from Cost Accounts Branch to Machine Unit Branch. Mrs. Jeanne M. Wheeler, from Accounting Clerk, General Accounts Branch to Bookkeeping Machine Supervisor, Machine Unit Branch. Philip L. Steers, Jr., Chief, Accounting Systems Staff, to Deputy Comptroller. Norbert A. Jones, from Accounting Clerk to Supervisory Accounting Clerk, Cost Accounts Branch. Mrs. Jessie W. Degenaar, from Accounting Clerk, Vgents Accounts Branch to ( lerk-Typist, riant Inventory and Appraisal Staff. Charles W. Balser, from Accounting Clerk to Inventory Clerk. Plant Inventory and Appraisal Staff. ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION BUREAU Robert C. Stanley, from Powerhouse Operator to Senior Powerhouse Operator, Electrical 1 livision. Alexander M. Parker, from Senior Powerhouse Operator to Powerhouse Operator Dispatcher, Electrical Division. Kenneth M. Jorgensen, from Engineering \id. Hydraulic, to Hydraulic Engineer, Meteorological and Hydrographic Branch. Mrs. Laura C. McLintock, Clerk-StenOCTOBER SAILINGS ographer, from Maintenance Division, to Contract and Inspection Division. Donald W. Journeay, General Construction Engineer, from Maintenance Divi-ii hi to Survey Branch. John W. Muller, General Construction Engineer, and Otis C. Myers, Supervisory Construction Management Engineer, from Maintenance Division to Engineering Division. Mrs. Laura J. Nelson, from Clerk-Typist to Clerk, Electrical Division. Mrs. Eloise G. Boon, from Substitute Teacher, Division of Schools, to ClerkTypist, Electrical Division. HEALTH BUREAU William F. Grady, Colon Hospital, and Manuel Lichtenbaum, Gorgas Hospital, from Pharmacist to Supervisory Pharmacist. Dr. Harry Westerberg, from Medical Officer to Assistant Chief, Surgical Service, Colon Hospital. Mrs. Gladys W. Brayton, from ClerkTypist to Accounting Clerk, Colon Hospital. Mrs. Patricia R. Nellis, from Typist, Terminals Division to Clerk-Typist, Colon Hospital. Mrs. Rebecca L. Hatten, from ClerkTypist, Housing Division, to Clerk-Stenographer, Colon Hospital. Mrs. Mildred R. Largent, Staff Nurse, from Colon to Gorgas Hospital. MARINE BUREAU Roscoe M. Collins, from Dock Foreman to Harbormaster, Navigation Division. George E. Riley, Jr., from Supervisory Signalman to Dock Foreman, Navigation Division. Adrian W. Webb, from Lockmaster to Lock Operator Machinist Leader, Pacific Locks. Charles A. Stewart, from Lock Operator Machinist Leader to Lock Operator Machinist, Pacific Locks. Hugh M. Thomas, Jr., from Lock Operator Machinist, Pacific Locks, to Motor Boat Maintenance Mechanic, Aids to Navigation Section. Donald R. Kimzey, from Guard, Atlantic Locks, to Clerk-Typist, Pacific Locks. Charles W. Brown, from Clerk-Typist, to General Storekeeper, Pacific Locks. Alfred Gloss, from Second Assistant Marine Engineer, Aids to Navigation Section, to Chief Towboat Engineer, Navigation Division. James M. Lacey, from Third to Second Assistant Marine Engineer, Aids to Navigation Section. Leonard N. Martin, from Guard to Assistant Chief Inspector, Locks Security Branch. SUPPLY BUREAU O. E. Enfield, Jr., from Accounting Clerk to Supervisory Storekeeper, Commissary Division. John J. Sproul, from Supervisory Storekeeper to Commissary Supervisor, Commissary Division. Mrs. Alicia M. Crasto, from 'Transportation Rate Auditing Clerk to Property and Supply Clerk, Division of Storehouses. Maria L. Lupi, from Clerk-Typist to 'Transportation Rate Auditing Clerk, Division of Storehouses. Philip Arrieta, from Procurement Clerk to Cash Accounting Clerk, Division of Storehouses. TRANSPORTATION AND TERMINALS BUREAU Mrs. Alda L. McLeod, from Kindergarten Assistant, Division of Schools, to Typist Terminals Division. Mrs. Gloria M. DeRaps, from Mail and File Clerk to Accounting Clerk, "Terminals I Hvision. John A. McClain, from Cribtender Foreman to Steam Engineer and Cribtender Foreman. Marine Bunkering Section. Walter L. Ilund, from Steam Engineer and Cribtender Foreman to Steam Engineer Marine Bunkering Section. Walter R. Fender, from Cribtender Ganger and Foreman to Cribtender Foreman, Marine Bunkering Section. Howard H. Carey, from Guard, Locks Security Branch, to Ganger and Cribtender Foreman, Marine Bunkering Section. From Cristobal Panama-. ..October 1 Ancon.. ..October 8 Cristobal. ..October 15 Panama 'October 23 Ancon. "October 29 From New York Cristobal Panama A neon Cristobal October 5 "October 14 October 10 October 26 "Leaves Cristobal Saturday; arrives Xew York Frifay. ""Leaves New York Thursday because of Columbus Day holiday. (Northbound the ships are in Haiti from 7 a. m. to noon Sunday; southbound the Haiti stop is from 7 a. m. to 4 p. m. Saturdavl. RETIREMENTS Retirement certificates were presented the end of August to the following employees who are listed alphabetically, together with their birthplaces, titles, length of service, and future addresses: Worden H. Cowen, Illinois; Director of Admeasurement. Marine Bureau; 35 years, 17 days; Arenzville, 111. H. Conrad Dodson, Virginia; Accountant, Accounting Division; 29 years, 1 month, 3 days; Leonia, N. Y. Mrs. Eva G. Jones, Kansas; Accounting Clerk, Accounting Division; 34 years and 6 months; Canal Zone for present. C. A. M. Monsanto, Germany; Motor Transportation Division; 28 years and 24 days; Iowa City, Iowa. John D. Stephens, Florida; Chief Engineer, Pipeline Suction Dredge, Dredging Division; 28 years, 4 months, 9 days; Tallahassee, Fla. Earl C. Tarr, Pennsylvania; Superintendent, General Products Branch, Commissary Division; 23 years, 10 months, 25 days; address uncertain. Eugene K. Willett, Kentucky; Maintenance Mechanic, Gorgas Hospital; 25 years, 7 months; address uncertain. Company-Government Will Participate In Fourth Senior Management Program (Continued from page 8) 1948-49; Administrative Assistant in the Supply Department, now Assistant to the Director, Community Services Bureau. Employees who attended the Career Development Program are: Norman B. Davison, 1954, Commissary Supervisory Accountant, now Supervisory Accountant, Commissary Division. Robert Stevens, 1954, Salary and Wage Analyst. Frank Wilder, 1953, Internal Security Officer, now Security Education Officer.

PAGE 15

October 1,1954 THEiPANAMA'CANAL REVIEW 15 Recreation Areas For Young And Old Part Of Planning For Zone Townsite Two Zone Teachers Back On Job After Year On Ford Fellowships GOTTA GO UP before you can come down, says Yvonne Hopson, 2, of Los Rios. (Continued from page 6) small areas within the block which give children ground to romp and play without danger from traffic. In addition, the principal playground activities are centered at the school where extensive grounds and some equipment are available for both supervised and unsupervised play of adults and children. In addition to these, a comparatively large playground is available for Rainbow City residents at the southern end of town in the old Camp Coiner area. This has not been developed other than clearing. The principal recreational facilities at Margarita are centered around the two schools. In the older section of the town an area big enough for one football field and the ball park is located on Margarita Avenue. Another big recreational area has been opened adjacent to the new school but the equipment which has been installed at present is primarily intended for the use of smaller children. A third play area is at the older school and it has the normal playground equipment. A small play area, without equipment, is located back of the Margarita police station and is convenient to a large number of residents in that general area. Temporary Rules Cover Employees Travel (Continued from page i) cannot be greater than that which would have been granted if travel was by common carrier. Since many employees do not go directly to their homes or return to the port of embarkation by the most direct routes, mileage will be granted only for the usually traveled routes betwen those points. Therefore, allowances for travel within the United States will be on a constructed basis except where direct travel by common carrier is involved. In either case, however, employees must submit vouchers for their travel expenses. Questionnaires Issued Two questionnaires have been sent to all U. S. citizen-employees eligible for free vacation travel by the Personnel Bureau. One of these is for planning purposes only and the information requested is for the establishment of a general leave pattern, mode of travel desired by employees to and within the States, and the number of dependents. These questionnaires were to be returned early this week. A second questionnaire is for the purpose of establishing the "place of actual After a year's absence in the United States, on Ford Foundation fellowships, two Canal Zone teachers are back at their desks, full of new ideas from their months' of travel and study. They are Miss Lois Morgan, who teaches English and math at Balboa Junior High School, and Miss Leafy C. De Sousa, who instructs students at La Boca Junior High School in social studies, art, and Spanish. Miss Morgan divided her year into three phases: academic work at Louisiana State University and the University of Miami, painting, and travel. Because she is especially interested in botanical painting, she took two courses at LSU in Baton Rouge where the courses offered were of special interest, where the weather was mild enough for outdoor painting and where there was much of historical and scenic interest in the surrounding area. residence" in the United States for each employee. This information is necessary for the payment of travel expenses in the United States. Many employees were born on the Isthmus and others were appointed from states other than their legal residence; it will be necessary in such cases to establish an approved "place of actual residence." The Personnel Bureau has requested that both questionnaires be completed and returned promptly. Conditions Vary One of the great difficulties in formulating regulations governing free vacation travel has been in the great variety of conditions to be covered. One of the subjects which has brought the greatest variety of questions has been the "husband and wife" subject. In many cases both husband and wife are employed in the Canal organization, in others one is employed by the Canal and the other elsewhere. In very few cases are both from the same home town. Other questions involved: Must they travel together to benefit by the free vacation law? Can vacations be taken separately? Must dependent children accompany their father? And countless variations within these and other questions. These problems and the many others arising as a result of the free vacation travel will be covered by permanent regulations and until these are issued, the present temporary rules will be used. And, until regulations are formulated, employees are still being requested to be patient about questions unless their vacations are in the immediate offing. Canal Employees Begin To See Effects Of Recently-Passed Fringe Benefits Bill (Continued from page i) regulations become effective. The 127 employees who became "Career" employees comprised the group who had Civil Service status when employed and who have completed three years of continuous service. The "career conditional" employees are those with Civil Service status who have not completed three years of service required for the "career" classification. These will be changed as they complete the required service. Miss De Sousa took her academic work at New York University, Columbia, the University of Southern California, and the Workshop for the United Nations. In addition she attended several educational conventions, including the National Council for Social Studies in Buffalo, N.Y. and the Association for the Supervision and Curriculum Development in Los Angeles, Calif. She considers that highlights of her trip were the Grand Canyon, the White House, a visit to Congress in session, a view of Gainsborough's "Blue Boy," in the Huntington Library, the Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans, and a view of the Land of the Bible Exhibit in New York. This last showed the Dead Sea scrolls containing Hebrew manuscripts of Genesis and Samaritan inscriptions on stone mosaic. The same general provision with respect to the permanent or indefinite status of employees for the past four years also applies to all promotions since that date. Under the fringe benefit legislation, all promotions will now become "permanent." Uniform Allowance Several hundred other Canal employees have been or will be affected by the fringe benefit legislation. The largest group will be those required to wear uniforms in their work. These include firemen, policemen, guards, and a few smaller groups. These employees may be granted $100 a year for uniforms. Approximately 125 employees in the Crafts, Protective, and Custodial (CPC) schedule will be changed to GS ratings or moved to the wage-board system. The legislation provides that no employees be reduced in salary because of the change, and those moved to the wage-board system will be materially benefitted in most instances. An indefinite number of employees will be benefitted by other provisions of the fringe benefits legislation such as: True time-and-a-half for overtime up to GS 9; increased incentive awards; longevity steps for employees in GS 11 through 15; recruitment at salaries above the minimum of a grade; and call-back pay for a minimum of two hours of pay at the overtime rate. Of these, one of the most important for Canal employees will be that which provides for full overtime pay up to Grade 9 employees. Up until now only employees with salaries up to $2,980 a year and on a declining scale at higher rates of pay received full time-and-a-half overtime pay. Awards Liberalized The existing incentive awards programs have been liberalized and for the first time provision is made for special awards by the President for exceptionally meritorious service. The Civil Service Commission is responsible for the administration of the combined program and agencies may make awards up to $5,000. A special study is already being made of this phase of "the fringe benefits legislation and the rules outlined by the Civil Service Commission. A special announcement on the awards program for the Canal organization will be made in an early issue of The Panama Canal Review.

PAGE 16

16 THE PANAMA CANAL REVIEW October 1, 1954 Nurse Recruitment Program Sponsored By Isthmian Group The Isthmian Nurses' Association, one of the youngest of local profe3si inal groups, will do its bit this month to interest Canal Zone teenage girls in nursing as a profession. The purpose of this recruitment program will be the same as that of similar programs being carried on all over the United States: To relieve the acute and growing shortage of nurses. The program is the latest of the many activities of this energetic group. During the week of October 11 to 16, which has been declared by Presidential Proclamation as National Nurse Week, nurses will visit Canal Zone high schools and the Junior College to talk about nursing and answer questions of girls interested in becoming registered nurses. The nurse-speakers, some of whom will be graduates of the high schools where they are talking, will outline the requirements for entering schools of nursing, explain the qualities which a girl needs to become a successful nurse, describe the various courses offered and the allied fields which are open to a girl who obtain her R. N. They will point out that in addition to bedside nursing, registered nurses are in demand for public health, industrial, school, and civil defense work and that the Army, Navy, and Air Force Nurse Corps absorb many registered nurses. Specialized Fields They will also explain that an increasing number of nurses are taking postgraduate work which enables them to enter such specialized fields as hospital administration, physiotherapy, pediatrics or that comparatively new field, geriatrics—the care of the aged. At the time this issue of The Panama Canal Review went to press, the Nurses' Association was arranging to obtain from the United States a 16-mm film describing the training and work of nurses. If this arrives, it will also be shown during National Nurse Week. Until the organization of the Isthmian Nurses' Association in March 1951, nurses working in the Canal Zone had to belong to State and District Associations in order to have a voice in national nursing affairs. Nurses who came to the Canal Zone on graduation from their schools often had no opportunity to affiliate with a State or District Association and were, thereby, deprived of representation. The local association applied for membership in the American Nurses' Association April 19, 1952, and the following January was admitted as the fifty-third constituent unit of the ANA. Education And Welfare According to its Constitution the purpose of the local group, in general similar to that of nurses' organizations elsewhere, is: "To advance high standards of ethical and professional conduct among nurses, to promote their professional and educational advancement in every proper way, to survey periodically the nursing resources of the Canal Zone and its environs, to promote and protect the economic and general welfare of nurses, to provide professional counselling service to individual nurses, and serve as their spokesman with allied professions and governmental groups and with the public." To a certain extent, the Association's monthly meetings, frequently held in the Gorgas Hospital conference room, serve as refresher courses for its members. During this calendar year the subjects discussed at the meetings ranged from atomic medicine to dietetics; the speakers included six doctors and a dietician. Several months ago, the Association successfully pointed out to the Chief Health Officer the need of an increase in salary for private duty nurses. During the Isthmian-wide campaign to preserve the 25 percent pay differential and free medical care, the Association took an active part, giving Canal Zone facts and arguments to the Washington representaTHESE THREE went on from Canal Zone high schools to become nurses. Miss Lucille Hearn, Assistant Chief Nurse at Gorgas Hospital, is seated; Miss Betty Lou Watts, left, and Miss Conway Maphis, standing. All are on the Gorgas staff. OFFICERS and directors of the Isthmian Nurses' Association meet monthly, between meetings of the general membership. Seated: Mrs. Linnie Turner, secretary; Mrs. E. Helen Daniel, president; Miss Cecilia Wensing, treasurer; and, standing: Mrs. Mary Ausnehmer, Mrs. Ann Cunningham, both directors; Mrs. Lucille Wilson, second vice president; Miss Rebecca Kendal, a director. Mrs. Querrida Berger, first vice president, and Mrs. Elvira Byrne, a director, were not on the Isthmus at the time the group was photographed. five of the American Nurses' Association. Two Isthmian nurses, Mrs. Maybel Orton and Miss Irene Ladrack, have represented the Association in the United States. Mrs. Orton was sent as a local delegate to the ANA Work Shop in Philadelphia in 1953, and Miss Ladrack represented the Association at the ANA Convention in Chicago last April. Nurses' Forum The Inter-American Medical Convention, held in Panama City last spring, was a special event for the Nurses' Association. A Nurses' Forum was arranged for the last day of the convention through the efforts of Miss Catherine Jackelen, Chairman of the INA Convention Committee and a member of the convention's executive committee. The speakers that day were Panama's First Lady, Mrs. Cecilia Remon, who discussed her experiences in rural health work in isolated locations in the Republic and showed moving pictures of some of her trips, and Mrs. Sylvia Duncan, Chief Public Health Nurse in Panama. Membership in the INA has grown and today it has a total of 154 members. Of these, 130 are active, 22 are associate, and two are special. It also has three honorary members: its first two presidents, Capt. Helen Dietsche and Mrs. Bernice Springall, and Mrs. SpringalPs husband, Dr. Arthur N. Springall who gave the association a helping hand at the time he was Assistant Superintendent at Gorgas. Its members work in Gorgas, Colon, and Corozal hospitals, the Palo Seco Leprosarium, the Balboa, La Boca, and Gatun first aid stations, the dispensaries at Fort Clayton and Fort Kobbe, the infirmary at Rodman, the Canal Zone Well-Baby Clinic, for Point Four in Panama, and serve as school nurses in the Canal Zone. Present officers are: Mrs. E. Helen Daniel, president; Mrs. Querrida Berger, first vice president; Mrs. Lucille Wilson, second vice president; Mrs. Linnie Turner, secretary; Miss Cecilia Wensing, treasurer; and the following directors: Mrs. Elvira Byrne, Miss Rebecca Kendal, Mrs. Mary Ausnehmer, and Mrs. Ann Cunningham. Mrs. Cunningham is in charge of the local observance of National Nurse Week.