MemoraSndum re: Llambias House and its Restoration by The St. Augustine
Historical Restoration and Preservation Association.
1938 On December 28, 1938, Carnegie Institution of Washington, D.G.
purchased the Llambias House.for $12,500.00., of thia amount,
the St. Augustine Historical Society paid $2,500.00. Title to
the property was later vested in the City of St. Augustine as
outlined n: an agreement with the'city with the management in
charge of a Board of Trustees appointed by the Carnegie
Institution of Washington, D.C. The original appointees were:
Waldo G. Leland, dilliam E. Lingelbach, Newton B. Drury,
David R. Dunham, Frederic A. Delano and Louisa Y. King (Mrs.
1939 'On March 22, 1939, the above Trustees executed an agreement
with the Federated Garden Club of St. Augustine.
1945 In February 1945, the Carnegie Institution of Washington, D.C.
turned over to the St. Augustine Historical Society all of
.their power and authority regarding the management of the
Llambias House, authorizing and empowering the President of
the Soaiety to fill vacancies on the Board of Trustees of the
On March 13, 1945, David R. Dunham, as president of the St.
Augustine Historical Society, appointed A. J. Hanna, George C.
Gibbs, Alfred Houston, H. E. Wolfe and X. L.Pellicer to serve
as Trustees of the Llambias House.
A meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Llambias House. was
held on June 8, 1945.
1946 (Exhibit 2) This is a letter dated March 1, 1946, from
.Mrs. F. S. Vaill, Secretary of the Federated Garden Club of
St. Augustine, addressed to X. L. Pellicer, Chairman ofthe
Board of Trustees of the Llambias House, stating that the
Garden Clubs had voted to give up the lease on the Llambias
House. Chairman Pellicer replied on March 4, 1946, stating
that he would call a meeting of the Trustees to consider the
letter of the Garden Club.
On or about June 1, 1i46, an agreement for lease was entered
Into with W. B. Ayres whereby Ayres would live at the Llambias
House and sub rent to others. (See Exhibit 4). While the
Exhibit is a copy of the above mentioned lease, there was a lease
signed and Ayres occupied the house.for a few months and-then
gave up the lease.
Exhibit 5 is a letter re leasing of the Llambias House. No
deal was made with this applicant.
Exhibit 6. An exchange of letters November 26 and December 11,
between A. J. Hanna and X. L. Pellieer re meeting to consider
vacancy caused by resignation or death of George C. Gibbs.
L947 (Exhibit 7) An exchange of letter between X. L. Pellicer and
A. J.Hanna, January 13, 1947, and March 20, 1947, re meeting
of the Trustees to be held on March 29, 1947.
L94 (Exhibit 8) There was a meeting of the Trustees on March 29,1947,
there being present, A. J. Hanna, Alfred Houston, H. E. Wolfe,
X. L. Pellicer. Meeting held in office -qf-D. R.g Dunham who
also attended the meeting. Pellicer suggested that the Llambias
House be offered to the St. Augustine Restoration and
Preservation Association as headquarters with the understanding
that the Restoration'grcup would agree to cooperate with the
St. Augustine Historical Society or other agencies or individuals
in making needed permanent repairs to the building. The consensus
of opinion of those present was that they looked with favor
upon such an arrangement if it could be worked out to the mutual
satisfaction of the Restoration group and the Trustees of the
Mr. Houston made a motion that the Secretary of the Trustees
Board write a letter to the Acting President of the St. Augustine
; Restoration and Preservation Association calling their :attention
to the willingness of the Trustees of the Llambias House to
enter into negotiations with theRestoration group, looking to
the acquisition by the Restoration group of the Llambias House
for use as headquarters on some agreeable lease basis. Also,
the Secretary was requested to ask the Restoration group:
1. .To define what they mean by restoration and preservation
as related to the Llambias House.
2. To suggest some basis that they would be willing to
discuss the use of the Llambias House as their headquarters,
with reference to the amount of money they would be willing to
spend for needed repairsto the House.
3-. To express their opinion as to the advisability of
engaging some competent architect to study the building in order
to formulate plans for its restoration and preservation.
This motion was seconded by A.J.Hanna and duly carried.
Pellicer was asked to interview Mr. T.A.Mellon, Jr., and ask
if he would serve on the Board to fill the vacancy caused by
the death of George C. Gibbs.
(Exhibit 9) Letter from W. L. Wessels, April 18, 1948, re use
of Llambias House
(Exhibit 10) Exchange of letters with Hanna, November 21 & 23,
1948, indicate that Mellon accepted position on Board of
Trustees and later passed away. Hanna is suggesting the
appointment of Karl A. Bickel.
1949 (Exhibit 11) Letter froru Trustee Member C. R. Vinten, January 5,
L 4; re plan to assist the Restoration and use a part of funds
to restore Llambias House.
1949 (Exhibit 12) January 25, 1949, lease executed with Guy Wiggins
for three months for art exhibition. Apparently the only
consideration was that Wiggins pay expenses of utilities and
1951 (Exhibit 13) This is an exchange of letters between D.R.Dunham
and Stuart Moffett 3Brnette of the College of. Architecture,.
Cornell University at Ithaca, N.Y., dated August 15, 1951, and
September 30, 1951. Also letter of recommendation of Barnette
by Fiske Kimball dated January 18, 1946, Dr. Kimball was a
close personal friend of Owen D. Young and Mr. Young asked
Dr. Kimball to recommend a capable architect who we might employ
to handle the restoration of the Llambias House.
1952 (Exhibit 14) This is a copy of the minutes of a meeting of the
Board of Trustees of the Llambias House held in the office of
H. E.'Wolfe on February 1, 1952. Those present were, H.E.Wolfe,
C. R. Vinten, Alfred Houston endX. L.Pellicer, chairman. A
resolution was passed authorizing the St. Augustine Historical
Preservation and Restoration Association to make certain renova-
tions and improvements to the Llambias House, the entire cost
to be borne by the Restoration Association. The Restoration
was to have the right to lease.the Llambias House without charge
for a long term, etc. The resolution also provided that a
member of theTrustees would have the right to.attend all meetings
of the Restoration Association where any plans relating to the
Llambias House were considered or approved.
It was soon after the meeting of the Board of Trustees of the
Llambias House that the Restoration Association made a contract
with Stuart -. Barnette as architect in charge of the restora-
tion of the Llambias House. I do not have any record.of the
contract, however, I remember Barnette's fee was 03,500.00 and
he was to.spend several months in St. Augustine in the summer
of 1952 and several months in the summer of 1953 with special
trips to St. Augustine when necessary. The Restoration was to
pay the travelling expenses of these extra trips.
( Exhibit 15) Letter from C. R. Vinten, July 18, 1952, offering
his resignation as a member of the Trustees. No record of
acceptance of resignation.
(Exhibit 16) This is a financial statement of the St. Augustine
Historical Preservation and"Restoration Association as of
December 31, 1952, as prepared by John D. Manton an accountant
who kept books for the St. Augustine Historical Society. As
will be noted, about $11,912.40 had been spent on the project
and there was a balance of about $34,179.10. (This statement
is a copy..of the semi annual statement sent to the State
Barnette must have started work about June 1952. J. Carver
Harris was appointed clerk of the works and supervised the work
in the absence of Barnette, Fred Stone was the foreman of the
1953 (Exhibit 17) Financial statement rendered to the State
Comptroller June 30, 1953, by John D. Manton, accountant,,
shows expenses of about $24,020.04 and a balance of *$2,299.67.
(Exhibit 18) Letter of X. L. Pellicer to A. J.Hanna dated
July 7, 1953, supplies information re Llambias House.
(Exhibit 19) Correspondence September 15, 1953, between
X. L. Pellicer and A. J.Hanna re progress of work on Llambias
House in re-visit of the Southern Historical Association
scheduled for November meeting.
(Exhibit 20) Financial statement rendered by J.D.Manton,
accountant, as of September 30 1953, showing expenses of
$29,402.64 and a balance of $16,869.49.
1(Exhibit 21) A letter dated November 9, 1953, from Alfred
Houston to D. R. Dunham requesting funds for repairs to the
Free Public Library Building. He estimates it will cost $8,000
and he wants the Restoration Association to retain the amount
from the funds in the Restoration account. There is attached
to his letter a statement from the Secretary of Interior Ickes
stating that the Free Public Library building was selected as
possessing exceptional historic and architectural interest and
is worthy of careful preservation.
(Exhibit 22) Notice of called meeting of the Restoraction
Association by D. R. Dunham, Vice President, for November 23,
1953, at office of D. R. Dunham.
(Exhibit 23) Financial statement rendered by J. D. Manton as
of November 20, 1953, showing expenses $31,205.66 and a balance
(Exhibit 23) Copy of minutes of meeting of the Restoration
Association on November 23, 1953*, Includes motion by C.W.Hawkins
authorizing $8,000 for repairs to Free Public Library building,
seconded by W. F.,.-Rolleston and carried.
(Exhibit 24) Financial statement dated December 31, 1953,
showing expenses of |.31,827.34 and a balance of $15,757.23.
1954 XExhibit 25) Finaoial statement dated October 31, 1954, showing
expenses of $37,118.89 for the Llambias House and $8,000 for
the Free Public Library with a balance of #1,302.92. This
statement made by Edmiston & McGhin.
1955 (Exhibit 26) Notice from David R. Dunham, Vice President of
St. Augustine Historical Preservation and Restoration Associa-
tion to members of the Restoration Association and members of
the Board of Trustees of the Llambias House, dated January 12,
1955, stating that the dedication ceremony will take place
January 15, at 3 P.M. at the.Llambias House.
(Exhibit 27) Copy of program ftf dedication and list of guests
to be introduced.
1955 (Exhibit 28) Financial statement prepared by Edmiston & McGhin
.covering period September 20, 1946 to June 30, 1955, showing
total expenses re .the Llambias House 441,166.02 and the $8,000
spent on the Free Public Library. The statement shows income
in addition to the $45,000 state grant as follows: interest
on bonds from investment of $45,000 while awaiting plans. The
Historical Society and X. L. Pellicer made up the amount over
spent on the project.