THE HISTORIC AMERICA:! BUILDINGS 30RVEY
PHOTO-DATA BOOK INFORMATION
DON DIEGO HURRUTTINER HOUSE
St. Augustine, Florida
National Park Service
Eastern Office Division of Design and Construction
St. Augustine Field Office
PART I GENERAL
Name of structures
Don Pedro Horruytiner House, 214 St. George
Street, St. Augustine, St. Johns County,
Mrs. Horace Lindsley, 214 St. George Street,
St, Augustine, Florida.
Number of stories
Type of wall construction (gen.):
Condition of fabrics
Significance and merit,
2* (3rd story is partially within roof with
Rectangular masonry block with 1-story ell
and other wooden additions.
Stone masonry, brick and wood.
Well preserved; modern occupancy.
Plan is one of several types common to early
St. Augustine,Masonry, inasmuch as it can be
dated to the First Spanish Period, is of
If the Horruytiner attribution is correct
(see below), the house can he associated
with a family prominent in the early presidio
ef St. Augustine. Luis Horruytiner was
governor of Spanish Florida, 1633-1638 and
an earlier Pedro 3enedit Herruytiner was gover-
nor ad interim, 1652-1654.
PART II ARCHITECTURE ITEMIZED DESCRIPTION
1i' x 35' exclusive of wood additions
Coquina blocks notes "oequina" is local
shellstone quarried on nearby Anastasia Is-
land and used for construction in St. Augus-
tine since 1580 (letter to King from Gov.
Pedro Menendes Marquez, Dec. 27, 1583).
Cequina blocks squared and laid in roughly
horizontal courses, plastered inside and out;
exterior painted and, at one stage, scored to
simulate ashlar; S. wall and loggia have had
recent coat of shell-dash cement stucco. Par-
apets and corbie-step gables of brick plaster-
ed. Wood additions are stud walls with common
2 narrow wood covered balconies (S. and E.
Elev.) supported on slender brackets 19th.
(2), coquina and brick.
Openings doorways and doors:
Openings windows and shutters t
Roof Shape and covering
Various types, none original except narrow
arched-headed double French doors onto
balconies which may be early 19th cent.
Simple masonry openings.
Windows mostly 24-lt. d. h. with some 4-1t,
replacements. 3 small d. h. windows have
stained glass in simple geometric pattern in
Shutters: none existing on building but fixed
louver type purported to have come from this
building (fit small stained glass windows and
French doors onto balcony) have been recover-
ed (possession of Kenneth W. Dow, 250 St.
George Street, St. Augustine).
Gable with parapet S. and E. Covering: hex.
asphalt-oement shingles on wood sheathing.
Simple eaves with exposed rafters on W.j par-
apet S. and E.; no parapet on N. gable.
($), those on E. side have brick corbie-stop
Floor plans 1st Floors
-3rd (i) Flooer
Vestibule, stair hall, drawing room, dining
room, loggia (kitchen, utility room, etc. in
4 rooms, stair hall and bath
h rooms, stair hall and bath
(2). Main stairs wood, double flight with
landing, mahogany rail and turned newels)
exterior stair from loggia to 2nd Fl.:
masonry with wood covered treads and risers,
slt Floor and Loggia: mosaic tile of various
shapes some with decorative borders and seater-
pieces (all late 19th con,)
2nd and 3rd Floorst wood plank with modern
hardwood flooring laid over older plank floor
2nd Floor only.
Wall and ceiling finish
Doorways and doors
Variety of types mostly
old (19th con.) 6-pan.
French type curved head
of some interest.
doors to balcony
Mostly simple unmolded or with molded back*
band; some 19th cen* pilaster trim with
corner blocks. Mantelss wood with carpenter
Fireplaces (4) and stoves.
Landscaping, gardens, eto.
Faces east (St. George Street); East facade
directly on street, garden on S. and W.;
Wall of adjacent building abutts on N.
Masonry walls enclose property on south,
east, and north.
No formal landscaping; informal planting of
semi-tropical species; old coquina well in
PART III HISTORY
A house can be identified on the site with some degree of certainty at
the time of the first Spanish evacuation in 1763 (#215, Blook Q, Juan Elixie de
la Puente Map, 176j, copy in the library of the St. Augustine Historical Society,
22 t. Francis Street, St. Augustine). This is esocribed as a "house of stone"
belonging to Den Pedro Bebedit Horruytiner y Pueo. (Notes the de la Puente Map is
very sketchy and inaccurate and positive identification cannot be made).
When Charles Howard bought the property from Robert Catherwood in 1785
(see chain of ownership below) he described the house as "uninhabitable"
(Esorituras, July, 1784).
When Howard sold the property to Juan Cavedo in September of the same
year the house is described as "a stone house of 2 stories" (Escrituras, 1784).
When the house was sold to Antonio de Entralgo in 1787, it is recorded
as a "2 story house of wood and stone" (Esorituras, 1787).
On the Mariano de la Reque Map of 1788 (copy in library of St.
AugustineHist. Soc.), the plan of the house is schematically given and corresponds
quite well with that of the existing house before the 19th oen. alterations and
All that can safely inferred from the above is (1) there was in all
probability a house on the site at the time of the de la Puente transfer (first
Spanish exacuation), (2) this house was of stone masonry although we know
nothing about its plan or appearance, (3) it continues to be described during the
English and Second Spanish Periods as a stone masonry house, and (4) on the Roque
Map of 1788, the plan resembles that of the present house. Since there is no
record of major destruction or rebuilding (Charles Howard's statement above may
only refer to neglect),and since it is reasonable to assume that in any lesser
program of rehabilitation or alteration, existing masonry walls would be retained
whenever possible, it is quite likely that we bave in the construction and to some
extent the form of this house a substantial remain of the First Spanish
Original and subsequent owners
1763 Pedro Alcantara Benedit Horruytiner y Pueyo
(Puente Transfer, July 9, 1764s Escrituras 1785, p. 164)
1764 Juan Elixio do la Puente
(Puente Transfer, Papelas de Cuba, Legajo-372, Seville, Spain)
1764 James HeUderson
(Puente List: SAHS file, Esorituras 1785, p. 164
Between 1764 1785 Robert Catherwoed
(Fatio certified No. 2 Jenkins Block legal property of
Catherwood. Eserituras 1785, p. 164. Henderson and
Catherwood owned the house during the British Oeoupation
Of Florida. 1763 1783.)
March 8-10, 1785 Charles Howard
(Es rituras 1785, p. 164)
September 17, 1787 Juan Cavedo
(Esorituras 1787, p. 387)
May 10, 1787 Francisco Antonio de Entralgo
(Esorituras 1787, p. 2)
January 31, 1801 John Lasare Henry
(Eaorituras 1801, p. 16)
July 31, 1801 Fernando de la Masa Arredondo
(Esoritura, 1801, p. 105)
March 28, 1839 Virginia Watson - by auction - U.S Marshal's
(2 Writs of Fieri Facias St. Johns County Records Deed
Book "N" P. 407.)
December 3, 1845 Ora Howard - by auction - U.S. Marshal's
(SJOR Book "P", p.80)
March 6, 1848 George R. Fairbanks by auction - Sheriff's Deed
(Howard mortgaged to Sanchez who assigned to Hunter.
banks acting for Hunter. SJCR Book "P", p. 173).
November 9, 1848 Fanny Hanham
(SJCR Deed Book "P", p.173).
1854 (Will) James Hanham, husband and two sons after his death.
(Book of Wills and Letter of Adm. Book I, pages 268-269.
Mr. Hanham died before 1866 as son William sold his half
to John S. Phillips who resold to Ann Greeno, then James
sold his half to Mrs. Greeno.)
1866 The Hanham sons: William to John
1866 Phillips to Ann
1867 James, his half
S. Phillips (Book "Q", p. 376)
Greeneo (Book "Q", p. 378)
to Ann Greeno
(Book "Q", p. 481)
1866-1867 Ann Greeno
( SJCR Deed Book "Q", p. 378-481)
1893 George S. Greeno husband of Ann Greene
(WILL dated January 2, 1868. Mrs. Greeno died 1893.
Book 8, p. 387)
November 26, 1896 Horace Lindsley
(Deed Booek "XX", p. 432 SJCR).
Notes All of the foregoing changes of title are based on a documented research
report made on the house by Eleanor Phillips Barnes for J. H. S. Lindsley
in 1955. Meet of the Spanish documents cited may be sonculted in copies
in the library of the St. Augustine Historical Society.
Date of erections
Unknown, probably originally before 1763. House in
present form probably dates from the English Period
1783) or more likely from the Second Spanish Period
Architect and builders
Original plans, etc.
Notes on alterations and additions
Important old views
None known; little likelihood of recovery.
Many alterations 19th century 1-story ell
and other wood additions; main stair and
various interior alterations; balconies
probably rebuilt 19th cent.j brick parapet
and corbie-step gables added by Dr. Lindsley
ca. 1908; new roof and 3rd Floor rebuilt at
same time. No satisfactory ohronologJ for
most of the alterations can be obtained.
One curious remnant of former construction
should be mentioned. Between the floor and
ceiling below in the S. room on the 2nd
Floor against the wall, a shallow brick
vault has been enclosed. This vault which
measures about 2' x 4' is framed between
headers each end and abutted by a floor
joist and a fragment of coquina wall
cantilevered beyond the wall below. The
most probable interpretation seems to be
that this is the vestigial remains of a
former fireplace and hearth. A 12" x 12"
recess of uncertain purpose occurs in the
None has so far came to light.
SOURCES OF INFORMATIONs
Mrs. Eleanor Phillips Barnes, St. Augustine, Florida
Recollections of Mrs. Horace Lindsley, St. Augustine, Florida
St. Augustine Historical Society, St. Augustine, Florida
Henry C. Edwards