Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Fatio Block 34, Lot 2
Title: Historic Ximenez-Fatio House: Awarded National Trust Grant
Full Citation
Permanent Link:
 Material Information
Title: Historic Ximenez-Fatio House: Awarded National Trust Grant
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Fatio Block 34, Lot 2
Physical Description: Clipping/photocopy
Language: English
Creator: Carling, Anne
Publication Date: 1971
Physical Location:
Box: 7
Divider: Block 34
Folder: Fatio B34-L2
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
20 Aviles Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Ximenez-Fatio House (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 20 Aviles Street
Coordinates: 29.891099 x -81.311673
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00094855
Volume ID: VID00034
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: B34-L2

Full Text

PI 'age Two-A, The St. Augustine Record, Weekend Edition, October 9-10, 1971



....Awarded National Trust Grant

_Announcement By

Colonial Dames

...Mrs. Freeman, From Left; Mrs. Lockwood, Mrs. Sonntag

Mr. and Mrs. Michael S.
Salvador, East Cleveland,
Ohio, announce the birth of a
daughter, Stacy Lynn, six
pounds, 11 ounces, October 2 in
Cleveland University Hospital.
Maternal grandparents are Mr.
and Mrs. Richard Prugh,
Elkhart, Ind. Paternal grand-
parents are Mr. and Mrs. Felix
Salvador, 42 Cincinnati Ave.,
and paternal great-
grandmother is Mrs. D.
Salvador. 205 Alcazar.
The Michael 'Salvadors will
be residing in Raleigh, N.C.,
until after November 1. Mrs.
Salvador is the former Jenny
Prugh of Elkhart, Ind.

lb tdI~ ~

Women's Editor
The historic Ximenez-Fatio
House of St. Augustine will
undergo architectural in-
vestigation as a result of a
grant from the National Trust
for Historic Preservation in the
United States.
Announcement of the grant,
for archaeological and ar-
chitectural investigation has
been made by the National
Society of Colonial Dames of
America in Florida, the
organization which has
preserved the house since 1939,
when the group purchased it
from the late Judge David
Dunham, a descendent of the
Fatio family.
The Colonial Dames'
grant was one of 16 grants
announced, which together
total $10,200, and it is the
first organization in
Florida to receive funds
from the program of the
National Trust which is
supported by a special
grant from the Rockefeller
Brothers Fund, says Mrs.
Judson Freeman,
Jacksonville, president of
the Florida group.
"About a year ago, we
decided we wanted a good
study of our house," Mrs.
Freeman explains, adding
that the decision was made
simply because the
Colonial Dames felt it was
time to delve into the
home's history. Since
acquiring the house in 1939,
she explains, the group an
all-volunteer organization,
has devoted its time to
preservation, keeping the
house as it was when it was
The outgrowth of this study,
Mrs. Freeman adds, was the
decision that professional help
was needed for future plans of
the historic structure.
Extensive Study
Following the decision to
conduct the study, Mrs. W. G.
Lockwood Jr., also of
Jacksonville, was appointed
study committee chairman.
Mrs. Robert E. Sonntag is
promotion chairman, and has
also worked closely on the
The invaluable help
from both the St. Augustine
Historic Preservation
Board and the St.
Augustine Historical
Society can't be stressed
too much, the three em-
Particularly, they pay
tribute to Miss Joyce
Harman, historian with the
Preservation Board; Mrs.
Luis Arana of the
Historical Society; and
Miss Dena Snodgrass,
Jacksonville historian and
a member of the Colonial
The Ximenez-Fatio House
dates back to between 1797 and
1802, being built by Andres
Ximenez, a merchant who
operated his business on the
property. One of the oldest
houses in the city, it is con-
structed of coquina.
In 1855, the property was
purchased by Miss Louise
Fatio, daughter of Don
Francisco Felipe Fatio. At the
time of the transfer from Judge
Dunham to the Colonial Dames,
it served as a headquarters for
many artists to the St.
Augustine area, and it was
noted that the artists would be
allowed to maintain studios
To the present, the Colonial
Dames have preserved the
house's 16 rooms, plus three-
room garret and separate
Three-Point Program
A three-point program has
been set up for the house, Mrs.
Lockwood explains,with
research as the first phase,
architecture as the second and
archaeology as the third.
Now, with the receiving of the
matching erant for consultant

services from the National
Trust for Historic Preser-
vation, Washington, it was
decided to use the funds for
architectural investigation.
A list of names was recom-
mended by the National Trust,
the three add, and the group is
now in the process of selecting
an architect. It is hoped that in
the near future, one will be
An organization of some
325 in Florida, the state
headquarters islocated in
Jacksonville. In addition to
Mrs. Freeman, other of-
ficers include Mrs. William
Bliss, first vice president;
Mrs. William Perkins,
second vice president;
Mrs. Edwin Clarke,
recording secretary; Mrs.
Herman Ulmer Jr.,
corresponding secretary;
and Mrs. William D. Lovett
Jr., treasurer.
Devoted to the
preservation of history, the
Colonial Dames in each
state have an historic house
which they are dedicated to
preserve. Then, in addition,
they work on group
projects spearheaded by
the national organization.
These national programs
include work with naturalized
citizens, patriotism work in the
schools, awarding of
scholarships, including those to
Indian girls who are trained
and then return to work with
their people, and work with
Vietnam veterans, including
supplying of ditty bags for
servicemen hospitalized and
purchase of recreational
equipment for the two hospital
ships which were located off the
coast of Vietnam.
Membership in the Colonial
Dames is by invitation. St.
Augustine members include
Mrs. Albert Brandon, Mrs.
Charles Grace, Mrs. Howard
Hawkins, Miss Nina Hawkins,
Mrs. John Hart, Mrs. James
Ingraham, Mrs. Samuel Moore,
Mrs. J. R. Moseley, Mrs. Ward
Newell, Mrs. J. T. VanCampen
and Mrs. A. W. Watt.
Staffed entirely by volun-
teers, the Colonial Dames open
the Ximenez-Fatio house to the
public during the winter
months. They hope to begin
their weekly Thursday
openings around November 1.
Hours are 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.


Mr. and Mrs. Billy Mauldin
were hosts Friday night at a
rehearsal dinner for members
of the Mauldin-Hill wedding
party and other invited guests.
The event, held at the Holiday
Inn No. 2, 1-95, was attended by
some 25 persons.
Among those attending the
dinner, in addition to the
bridegroom's parents, were
Mr. and Mrs. Lynwood- Hill,
parents of the bride; McCoy
Hill, paternal grandfather of
the bride, who is now making
his home in St. Augustine; Mr.
and Mrs. Fred Hohne,
maternal grandparents of the
bridegroom; Mr. and Mrs. Jim
Wilbanks, the bridegroom's
paternal grandparents, and
Mrs. C. P. Hosea, Tacoa, Ga.,
aunt of the bridegroom.
Among the out-of-town guests
for the Saturday wedding were
Miss Linda Landreth, Daytona
Beach; Mrs. Hosea, Miss
Peggy Meade, Castlewood,
Va.; Miss Joan Price, Vincen
Price, both of Jacksonville;
and Darrell Hill, Keesler
Miss., the bride's brother.

Woodland Meet Set
The Woodland Garden Ch
of St. Augustine Beach wi
meet Tuesday, at 2 p.m. at t
home of Mrs. Maurice Ramse
56 Willow Drive. All member
are urged to attend.


ONLY $1.25

1001 Ponce de Leon Blvd. s
Phone 4-1479 ,


3'I dej



Any person knowing the whereabouts of
three large historical photo albums with
Army records and other papers, lost from an
Army locker, should contact S. Sneed, 82
Marine St.

$500 dollars will be given for help if and
when delivered'in good condition.


University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs