P FISHER & SHEPARD /ARCHITECTS & PLANNERS INC
July 29, 1976
Mr. Robert H. Steinbach
Director of Research & Interpretation
Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board
P. 0. Box 1987
St. Augustine, Fla. 32084
RE: Joaneda House Restoration
Mrs. Towers called me today with the following requests if the budget will allow:
1. Provide bird screen on the chimney (hardware cloth wedged in the top will
2. Eliminate the closet in the downstairs sleeping alcove. In lieu of the
closet, provide a 1 x 6 at hanging height on the wall behind the door from
the livingroom into the stair hall. Mrs. Towers requests that pegs be spaced
in the 1 x 6 for hanging purposes and that the 1 x 6 be no longer than the door
so that it will be concealed when the door is open.
3. Provide a shelf at the kitchen window from the top of the backsplash to the
top rail of the bottom sash in order to close the gap.
4. Mrs. Towers needs a shelf in the corner above the blender for the telephone.
5. Mrs. Towers requested a glazed door mounted on the outside of the main en-
trance door fran the south porch to the living area. The object is to obtain
more light in the livingroom. I have not yet discovered a way to achieve this
without violating the exterior historical appearance of the building in accor-
dance with Grant restrictions." I know of no precedent for either a wicket in
the existing door or a glazed six-panel English door. I do not believe that we
can meet this request without violating the terms of. the Grant. I did not dis-
cuss this problem with Mrs. Towers when she called because I believed at that
time that a solution could be found.
If you have any questions or comments, please give me a call.
Herschel E. Spard.
Cy Mrs. Elizabeth M. Towers
456 UNIVERSITY BOULEVARD NORTH / JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA 32211 / TELEPHONE (904) 725-1112
GEORGE RYAD FISHER, AIA / HERSCHEL E. SHEPARD, AIA