r3/s-- L 7
l0oteo St Aug Dec 1938
San Carlos Hougs
Treasury St, betweenmt. George and Cordova St.
1764- Puente lap, #186, block *N' houses of stone and riprap of the heirs
of Don Jose Izquierdo.
1788- de la Rooque map "Lot is back of said (#188)wood house of Bartolome
Yufriu and holds it for the King*
1803- Assessorts Inventory, ~ block 14, ho!es of Yuaneda, lot
of the King, bounded lant the coTrs street, o the old Treasury,
south by king's lot n pa sses of,-Aque VS,l1a east by
Domingo Martinelly, west( WI Pedro Triay xissu ea sure-est and west
95 yds. north south 0 s.
1807- Eacrituras, Webb Manorial Library "Title'
8V Jan. 8, The Governor rehearses Quesadat's auction of properties and
ing~is remission of coats, etc. and issues final title to Juan
Joaneda in lot 126, block 14, on which he has built a wooden house,
lot 25 yds, E.-, 0 yda N.-S bounded north by the rose street of
the' old treasury, east by hei's of Domingo Martinelly, south by
Pablo Mastre, west by W*m Mills. (Title In virtue of Royal Cedula
of 1801 --
1807- Jan. 27, "Sale" Juan Yuaneda to Juan Gonzales Montes do Oca, a
p.12 coquina house, lot 20 yds E-W 30 ds. N-S. The letter to the
Governor asking permit to sell oalls it qoquina house situated on
the lane going to the tannery, next to that of Wim. Mills, and say.
it was sold to satisfy creditors, especially the man who rebuilt it
of coquina, it being of wood moh decayed.
1814- Sale Dooe 22 of lot #181 sold by Wa. Mills to Pedro Trope gives east
S09V boundary as heirs of Juan Juaneda (the name is spelled in various
1816- April 26 Will of Nicholas Sanoher- owns coquina house -on rosa street
507 leading to the Marina, bounded north by said street, south by Pablo
Uastre east by widow of P. Mastre, west by Pedro Trope (with other
St. Johns County Court Arahives, Deed Book '"0r p.66
1826 Oct. 5, Jose E. Sanches, Adm. of Nicholas Sanches, sells to Margaret
Pomar, stone house, bounded on north by lane that leads from the Bay
to Pablo Sabate'a tan-yard, south by lot of Samael Cook, east by
Larie Masters, west by Pedro Trope E-W 20 Spanish varas, N-S 30 varas.
No record has been located between the sale of property in 1807 to
lontes de Oca and the will of Nicholas Sanchez in 1816 showIng the
manner in which the property came into the possession of Nicholas
Sanchez, who in 1798 married Maria Magdalena Joaneda, daughter of the
Juan Joaneda who acquired title from the Spanish Government in 1807.
St. Johns County Archives File. Case "8.5-
1852 Filed Oct. 21 1852 with application of Maurice Sanchez for letter
of administraLion of estate of Nicholas Sanchez, a minor, deceased,
is the will of Jose E. Sanchez citing that Jose E. Sanchez was the
San Carlos House
son of Nicholas Sanchez and Malena Juaneda; married Camilla Canova
and also had a son named Nicholas.
This property later was acquired by Venancio Sanchez, and in 1885
the County Tax List shows title in name of W. J. Sanches, who in
1925 sold to the present owners, Mary and Gertrude Montgomery, this
1925 March 28 Deed Book a549 p. 206 at lot 7, block 15 for $7500.00,
Sanchez to Montgomery.
The deeds of the later period do not specify two houses on this lot
but at the time of purchase by the Montgomery sisters there was an
old wooden house, with overhanging balcony, in very bad condition,
which has since been repaired and given an outside stucco finish to
preserve it, also the old coquina house, with very thick solid
coquina walls, large beams of solid mohogany, wooden pegs being used.
This house is also built directly on the street in typical old
Spanish style of architecture.
In the garden in rear of house is a coquina well that had at some
time been Silled in, but ainoe the purchase by the Montgomery
sisters, has been entirely cleared of the trash and sand which filled
it, and makes an interesting addition to a very lovely garden.