MEMO FEB. 22, 1989
TO: BOARD OF DIRECTORS/TRUSTEES
FROM: DAVID SCOTT
SUBJECT: PROPOSED FACADE TREATMENT OF THE PAREDES/DODGE HOUSE
The front facade of the Paredes/Dodge House is in need of
restoration and rehabilitation. The entire house is in need of
an extensive restoration, but because of the lack of funds I
propose the following front facade work as a minimum:
1. Re-patch pitted coquina with a soft historic lime based white
stucco. (re-stucco entire facade?)
2. Remove inappropriate later addition flower boxes.
3. Remove inappropriate iron grillwork from first story windows.
4. Repair rotted sills, jambs and other deteriorated woodwork.
5. Repaint entire front facade San Augustin White*.
6. Repaint all exterior front facade trim Paredes House Grey*.
This color was discovered on the trim on this building and dated
to colonial times.
7. Repaint Zocalo either Fatio House Red or King's Bakery Black.
We might want to eliminate the Zocalo altogether for we don't
have historic evidence that the house had a Zocalo. I think that
if we decide to have a Zocalo on the house that it should be
King's Bakery Black because that is the only documented Zocalo
color yet found in St. Augustine and I think it would match well
with the grey trim.
*Histgoric Col'ors of. Spanj.,s St.....Agystine, City of St. Aug.
PAREDES/DODGE RESTORATION, PRELIMINARY COST ESTIMATE
SAN AGUSTIN ANTIQUO FOUNDATION
FEB. 28, 1989
1. PRELIMINARY RESEARCH ALLOWANCES
1. Historic/ Architectural Research
A. Staff labor
2. Archeological Research
A. Staff labor
3. Paint analysis, $75 first,$50 each after
4. Architectural drawings
2. SITE WORK
1. Landscape rear garden (historic)
A. Staff labor (research)
2. Remove second story 1949 partitions
3. Remove second, story floor, 1949.addition
4. Remove building in rear yard
3.& 4. CONCRETE AND MASONRY
1. Grind and repair tabby floor.
2. Replace coquina 2nd story wall
300 hrs. Y7f
100 hrs. )r
1. Remove later iron grates on windows
2. Stabilize structural steel implants
6. ROUGH AND FINISH CARPENTRY
1. Rebuild roof rafters, replace inappropriate later
material with accurate reproductions $8,800
2. Remove shingles and replace with hand split
3. Labor/materials to re-configure roof and correct later
overhang & front facade work. $4,100
4. Re-build rear room and stairs $9,400
5. Re-deck 5/4 X 8 roof $6,200
7. DOORS AND WINDOWS
1. Replace front windows, first story
2. Repair, restore second story windows
3. Construct historic shutters
1. Repair or replaster interior
2. Repair plaster on front exterior
3. Paint exterior (historic)
4. Paint interior (historic)
-3,800 '? --'
..$4,90..) .. --.
8. FINISHES, CONT.
5. Repair, restore, or replace interior details.
Remove later inappropriate additions.
6. Historic hardware (hand forged)
1. Remove existing plumbing
2. Rebuild historic well in rear yard
1. Remove and reconfigure electrical service
2. Rewire electrical
3. Fixture allowance
4. HVAC (5 ton)
11. CONTINGENCY COSTS (10%)
TOTAL CONSTRUCTION COSTS
$1,500 "i ,i
NOTE: This estimate represents the restoration costs for the
Paredes/Dodge House. If special load testing analyses are
required an additional $3,000 would be spent.
This estimate also includes a minimum of 850 Staff hours and that
figure could double depending upon unexpected expenses.