Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00091701/00075
 Material Information
Title: Faculty Senate Steering Committee meeting minutes
Physical Description: Newspaper
Language: English
Creator: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Publisher: Faculty Senate Steering Committee, University of Florida
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: October 7, 2010
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00091701
Volume ID: VID00075
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Full Text

Senate Steering Committee
October 7, 2010
3-5 PM

Attendees: Mark Orazem Guests:
Mary Ann Ferguson James Klausner Stephanie Hanson
Jack Mecholsky Elizabeth Bolton Frank Bova
David Quillen Nancy Poehlmann Bernard Mair
Bemie Machen Scott Nygren Jim Seale
Kathy Light Wolfgang Sigmund Tim Johnson
Joe Glover Amelia Bell Judy Russell
Henrietta Logan

The meeting was called to order at 3:01 PM

The September minutes were approved.


Chair's Report Mary Ann Ferguson, Chair

Mary Ann Ferguson reported that she met with college faculty assembly chairs and discussed problems with the
evaluation of very small classes and administrators, concern that interdisciplinary programs will suffer under RCM,
and tenure and promotion challenges for clinical faculty. The group also discussed RCM and the need to ensure
senior faculty participate in college assemblies. The group would like to meet on a quarterly basis. The group also
noted that communicating information to all faculty is very difficult. The provost clarified that clinical faculty are
not eligible for tenure but are eligible for promotion according to college specified criteria. The steering committee
discussed evaluating shared governance this year.

President's Report Bernie Machen, President

Bemie Machen reported that the NRC survey about graduate programs has been released. He stated that graduate
education and research distinguish UF from other state universities and the report will be presented to the senate.
Machen announced that the BOG will meet in Gainesville in November and that Rick Yost serves as a faculty
representative on the BOG.

Provost's Report Joe Glover, Provost

Joe Glover reviewed the NRC information which will be used to inform discussions on doctoral programs. He also
presented minus grade data and James Klausner raised a concern that a C- is not a passing grade. Glover reported
that the university is considering submitting a block tuition proposal to the BOT and BOG. He also discussed the
spring/summer cohort. The university is currently formulating a proposal for this program but would not
implement the program before January 2013.

Information Items:

Distance Learning Frank Bova, Distance Learning Committee Member
Frank Bova will provide the Senate with a report on the distance learning vendor selection process, specifically
reviewing four or five key issues. He will ask two faculty who are engaged in distance learning to explain how the
process works.

Open Access Judy Russell, Dean of the University Libraries
Judy Russell will give a report on Open Access at the October Senate meeting.

Constitution Changes regarding departments Jim Seale, Constitution Committee Past-Chair
The Constitution Committee will present constitution changes to allow departments to reside within more than one
college as an information item at the October Senate meeting.

Academic Integrity Task Force Stephanie Hanson, Task force co-chair
Stephanie Hanson will provide the Senate with a report on the status of the Academic Integrity Task Force's work
to date and future plans.

Directed Discussion Topic

Interdisciplinary Research James Oliverio, Digital Worlds Institute Director
The UF Digital Worlds Institute is an interdisciplinary partnership between the UF College of Fine Arts and the
College of Engineering. Since that time it has grown to embrace affiliate faculty from numerous additional Colleges
and Departments by promoting a wide range of activities in Interdisciplinary Research and Education.
James Oliverio will give a brief presentation on the specific activities of the Institute, including current and previous
research and the development of the interdisciplinary Digital Arts & Sciences degree program.

Council Reports:

Infrastructure Council Mark Orazem, Chair
Mark Orazem reported that Andy McCollough talked about distance learning and how to maintain the quality of
education. He also talked about its application to undergraduate programs. The council expressed concern over the
new IT governance structure. The council will invite IT representatives to a council meeting to discuss these

Research and Scholarship Council Henrietta Logan, Chair
Henrietta Logan reported that Jim Ferrer met with the council to discuss effort reporting vendors. The council will
discuss training grants and why faculty are not incentivized to write training grants and how to provide incentives.

Welfare Council Kathy Light, Chair
Kathy Light reported that the council discussed parental leave, background checks and peer evaluations at their last
meeting. Angel Kwollek Folland also discussed the online tenure and promotion pilot. The council is concerned
about parking and would like to obtain information from faculty about what issues are important to them. The
council requested a task force be formed to look at student evaluations of teaching. The steering committee would
like the welfare council to follow up with the mental health report.

Academic Policy Council Nancy Poehlman, Chair
Nancy Poehlmann reported that Dr. Mair reviewed the proposed academic calendars including having the
Wednesday before Thanksgiving as a holiday. The council also reviewed the minus grades data. The council would
like to review interdisciplinary education, distance education and an academic work plan this year.

Budget Council Regina Bussing/James Klausner, Co-Chairs
The budget council is working to understand the RCM implementation. They will meet with deans about RCM the
implementation to understand how its working at the local level. The council would like to collect metrics on where
colleges currently stand in the RCM metrics. They would potentially like to give a presentation to the senate in the
spring about RCM implementation.

Action Item:

Approval of the October Senate Agenda Mary Ann Ferguson, Chair

The October Senate agenda was approved.

The meeting adjourned at 5:01 PM

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - Version 2.9.7 - mvs