RESEARCH TOPICS FOR DE MESA PROJECT
For each of the topics, a brief survey of the available published
information should be compiled.
This survey should include an outline of:
persons (knowledgeable in the subject)
any other appropriate information
Each report should take a maximum of ten working days to complete
at which time the researcher then proceeds to the next topic.
After preliminary reports on all topics have been completed, the
researcher and curator then meet to establish specified lengths of time
for further research on some of these reports.
If at anytime during work on one report, the researcher comes
across pertinent information on another report, the researcher would
simply note this information and place it in the appropriate report file
for further investigation later.
The intent of proceeding in such a carefully timed manner is due
to our severely limited time schedule.
The preliminary reports will allow the illustrator and designer
to proceed as quickly as possible, as they cannot produce graphics
without being sure of the major components of each topic from which
they will deduce the major emphasis in the illustrations they too
must produce on schedule.
1. Survey of the pirates, corsairs, etc. who visited the St. Augustine
area and their relative significance in influencing the historical
events of the city.
2. Description of the visual appearance of the interior of an 18th
century ship captain's cabin.
3. a. Description of the cargo of the flota.
b. Activities and lifestyle of the crews.
4. Survey of 18th century weapons, who used what, etc.
5. a. Survey of the various indian tribes in Florida relative to
b. Significance of particular groups and individuals within
groups to St. Augustine's history.
6. Survey of ethnic groups living in the vicinity of 18th century
St. Augustine with a determination of their relative significance
in the history of the city.
7. a. List of the major available trade-goods exchanging hands in..
late 17th century St. Augustine.
.b. Survey of the manner and places) in which these exchanges