Friends oF the
Randell Research Center
December 2009 Vol. 8, No. 4
Music Festival Planned
for January 30
All-day event will raise Funds, awareness
by D. L. Havlin and Bill Marquardt
MUSIC AT THE MOUNDS! Come and enjoy a whole
day's buffet oFmusic, see the past year's site improve-
ments (including the new butterfly garden), and visit
with archaeologists Bill Marquardt, Karen Walker, and
Donna Ruhl. MUSIC ATTHE MOUNDS will be held in
Pineland on the grounds oFthe Randell Research Center.
Bring your lawn chair, settle in, and enjoy the day.
This exciting one-day music Festival on January 30, 2010
will benefit the Randell Research Centerand its Calusa
Heritage Trail, voted Pine Island's "best tourist attraction"
For the past three years. ProFessional groups will play a wide
spectrum oFmusical offerings. Dixieland jazz will be provided
by the popular PALM CITY DIXIELAND BAND. Bluegrass Fans
will tap their toes to TOMORROW'S NEWS. The versatile and
crowd-pleasing SUZANNE LANSFORD will entertain with her
violin stylings. As an additional treat, young musicians From
two local high schools will showcase their talents. The mix is
certain to provide a taste For every musical palate.
MC For the event is the charismatic Jim Syoen, co-star oF
television's morning "FOX 4 RISING." The program will start
at 10:00 A.M. and end at 5:30 P.M. Food vendors and repre-
sentatives oFcommunity organizations will be in attendance.
Randell Research Center archaeologists will be on hand to
explain volunteer-assisted work being perFormed by scientists
oFthe Florida Museum oFNatural History, and the archaeo-
logical dig at Mound 5 will be open For inspection.
The price For the entire day's entertainment is only $20 per
person. Advance tickets will be available From service clubs
and retail establishments and at the RRC gift shop at the
Calusa Heritage Trail. For Further inFormation, call D.L. Havlin,
Chairman, Music at the Mounds, at 239-994-0366, or the
Randell Research Center at 239-283-2157.
The popular bluegrass band Tomorrow's News will play
two sets at the Festival. Cool jazz, Dixieland, and violin
stylings will also be Featured.
* Gates open at 9 AM. Music starts at 10 AM.
* Bring your own lawn chairs or picnic blankets. Seating is open-air, so
Folks may want to wear hats and consider using sunscreen.
Coolers are allowed, but Food consumption is restricted to desig-
nated areas so as not to infringe on the pleasure oFothers.
No alcohol is allowed on site, but the Tarpon Lodge across the street
offers alcoholic beverages. Once admitted, patrons will be issued
wristbands, and may come and go as they wish.
Food and drink vendors will be on site.
All safety, health, and traffic concerns will be addressed. Adequate
restroom Facilities will be assured.
Beyond the expense For entertainment and other direct costs that
cannot be obtained through donation, ALL monies go to NON-PROF-
IT groups: the Randell Research Center and the music departments oF
participating high schools. A portion of your ticket purchase price is
A map to the site can be downloaded at www.Flmnh.uFl.edu/rrc/
images/2004rrcmap.jpg or you can call the Center at 239-283-
Need overnight lodging? The historic Tarpon Lodge, located right
across the street From the event, is offering a 15% discount to those
who mention Music at the Mounds. Call the Lodge at 239-283-3999
or visit www.tarponlodge.com/home/. Other lodging may be located
by calling the Greater Pine Island Chamber oF Commerce at 239-
283-0888 or by visiting www.pineislandchamber.org/.
Recent History of the Pineland Community
Part 2 in a series
by Bill Marquardt
A recent inquiry to our web site
asked For more information on the
history ofthe Pineland community.
Here is the second installment.
In the September issue, I
discussed removal oFparts oFPineland's
waterFront midden-mounds For road-
building, a practice that continued into
the 1920s. Another signiRcant distur-
bance occurred ca. 1916-1917 when
the western portion oFSmith Mound
was taken down by Harro Harrsen. At
least halFoFthe volume oFthis burial
mound was removed, and eyewitness
Ted Smith estimated in a 1992 inter-
view that "about two-thirds" was taken
away, describing the original mound as
"almost round; it was circular." The dirt
was used to All in low areas described
by Cushing a decade earlier as a lake
encircling the burial mound and an
additional Four-acre lake.
By the time R. D. Wainwright visited
Pineland in July 1917, the western portion
oFthe burial mound had already been
removed. Wainwright observed disturbed
human bones at the top oFthe mound.
Excavating briefly near the base oFthe
exposed mound sediments, he discov-
ered sections oFa plain pottery bowl. On
the ground in the area that had been
removed, he discovered a check-stamped
pottery sherd (likely St. Johns Check
Stamped, a marker For the Caloosa-
hatchee III period, A.D. 1200-1350).
A decade later, in 1926, the remaining
eastern portion was slated For destruc-
tion on the order oFGraham Wilson, but
this action was halted by John Smith,
Ted Smith's Father, who then owned the
eastern portion oFthe mound.
In 1925, Wilson had bought several oF
the Pineland properties, and added two
more in 1928 and 1930, the last one
probably being the Randell Complex
Mound 1(RCM1) parcel. In her 1982
book, Elaine Jordan states that "on April
28 , Wilson hired a man named
A. B. Moon to build a wintervacation
retreat along the water's edge at
Pineland. Shell was brought in by the
truck loads From the Calusa mounds
on other property that Wilson owned
there and the low swampy area was
Rlled in to provide higherground to build
the house on." Ted Smith remembered
that the wetland on which the home
was to be located was Rlled in From
sediments derived From the entirety
oFthe mound that we call Brown's
Brown's Complex Mound 1, today the
largest and highest oFPineland's mid-
den-mounds, was once higher, wider,
and longer (photo by M. Clark).
Complex Mound 6 (BCM6), and probably
a signiRcant portion oFBCM1, creating
the steep slope on its northeastern side
(see photo). On top oFthe loose, shelly
sediments From the mounds, Wilson and
Moon placed sediments dredged From
the bottom just offshore. The borrow
area is clearly visible on a 1944 aerial
photograph. Filling the wetlands had the
effect oFextending the shoreline out,
creating land where the Tarpon Lodge
and American Bible College stand today.
The Wilson winter home was still
unRnished when a severe hurricane
struck southwest Florida on September
18, 1926. The storm surge was signi-
Acant enough that the Floors oFthe
Wilson home were damaged, and many
Pineland residents took reFuge in the
Adams home, situated high on top oF
the Adams Mound. The storm also
destroyed a windmill, which had
pumped water For grove irrigation.
The Wilsons' house was ultimately
completed and named "GraMarVilla"
aFLera combination oFthe names
Graham and Mary. The main entrance
was on the south, and two large brick
Replaces graced the interior on the
east and west walls oFthe main Floor.
GraMarVilla still stands on WaterFront
Drive, across From Brown's Complex
Mound 5, and today is known as the
Tarpon Lodge. (Only one oFthe twin
Replaces remains, and the main
entrance is now where the eastern
Replace was located.) The Wilsons built
twin, cypress-wood boat houses at the
shore line near their home. Across the
street on BCM5 they built a cottage and
three-car garage For Mary's sister. This
cottage, locally known as the Harris
Cottage, is occupied today; the garage
has been converted into a studio.
Wilson also built a house For his
Foreman, as well as a citrus packing
barn and a 100-Foot-long residence For
by Bill Marquardt
Several staff and students
participated in the 66th annual South-
eastern Archaeological ConFerence held
in Mobile, Alabama, November 5-7. We
presented two posters at the meetings
and talked to several dozen interested
people about our Pineland curation work.
Aposterpresentation entitled, "Rehabili-
tation oFthe Florida Museum oFNatural
History's Pineland Collections," was
created by Bill Marquardt, Karen Walker,
Melissa Ayvaz, Austin Bell, Ann Cordell,
Elise LeCompte, Gypsy Price, Donna
Ruhl, and Ryan VanDyke. A second
poster, "Rehabilitation oFPineland's
Archaeobotanical Collections," was
created by Donna Ruhl and Melissa
Ayvaz. Bill, Melissa, and Karen traveled
to the meeting to present the posters
and answer questions.
The collections result From public-
oriented excavation projects that took
the Farm workers. Wilson's activities
extended to the court we call Brown's
Complex Court 1. Ted Smith remem-
bered that, like today, BCC1 always
appeared as a depression. He also noted
that Wilson killed it with 3 or4 Feet oF
"marl-rich dirt and stuFE" making a rose
garden there. He also kept there a mule
and a shed. Both the rose garden and
the mule shed suggest that BCC1 was
open to the sun, unlike today. In the
1920s and 1930s, muck For enriching
the Flower garden's soil in BCC1 was
dug From a 3-acre, 3-Foot-deep pond,
which we believe is the "Four to Four-
and-a-halF-acre" lake described by
Cushing in his 1895 notes.
At about the same time, Graham
Wilson hired a crew to dig a channel out
From Pineland into Pine Island Sound.
This is now the entrance to the intra-
'. ...m --.-- -.
Karen Walker explains curation
process to interested students (photo
by W. Marquardt).
place at the Pineland Site Complex From
1988 to 1995. Those projects Focused
on the A.D. 50 to 1710 cultural and
environmental histories oFthe complex.
The collections consist oFan estimated
126,500 artiFacts, 10,785 bags oF
human-environmental specimens and
samples, and 18 linear shelFFeet oF
associated records and documents.
Over the past two decades, the collec-
tions were heavily used For both
research and exhibit purposes, and it
was not until 2005 that all components
again existed under the same rooF The
disorganized state oFthe collections
coastal waterway, and is still listed on
maps and reFerred to locally as "Wilson's
Cut." Ted Smith remembered working
on the project: "We dug nine Feet oF
solid rock out oFthat channel, to make
the channel thirty Feet wide. Under that
nine-Foot layer oFrock we dug up pine
trees that big around [indicating about
three Feet], with bark on them."
At the western Foot oFRCM2 today,
with a view oFPine Island Sound, sits a
house that was said to have been built
by Wilson For his two unmarried sisters.
We do not know the construction date,
but we estimate 1926. The history oFan
associated garage building behind it is
unknown but it appears in the 1944 aerial
photo, along with the house, so it is at
least that old. As mentioned earlier,
Harrsen's house on the top oFRCM1
burned down in 1927 (To be continued.)
threatened their long-term integrity For
Future research and education purposes.
A three-year grant From the National
Endowment For the Humanities awarded
in 2007 to the Florida Museum oF
Natural History is supporting compre-
hensive curation oFthe collections (see
Friends newsletter For December 2007).
Our methods and results Follow national
standards and may be applicable to other
projects, hence our interest in sharing
inFormation about ourwork. The curation
project has greatly improved the long-
term stability and accessibility oF
Melissa Ayvaz (right) discusses curation
oFPineland archaeobotanical specimens
with professional archaeologists (photo
by W. Marquardt).
----, Randell Research Center
InForwarlan FL 9 -Service R ed
Forwarding Service Requested
Permit No. 26
Excavations are in full swing
at Mound 5 under the direction oF
MichaelWylde. Excavations are taking
place each Wednesday and Saturday
morning through April. Volunteers are
welcome, and no previous experience is
necessary. To participate in the dig, you
must call in advance oFyourvisit to
register (239-283-2157). This will help
us plan the work and guarantee that we
have room For everyone to participate.
For more on the dig, see Friends
newsletter For September 2009.
1i-- N -
New and Renewing Friends
of the RRC
August 16 through November10, 2009
(Please let us know oFany errors or omissions. Thank you For your support.)
Larry E Carol Aten
John E Gretchen Coyle
Jim Downer- Pine Island Pest Control
William E Victoria Winterer
Ron E Mary Koontz
John C. E Glenda L. Sirmans
Pattie Chappell E Veronica DuRlo
Bill E Rosemarie Hammond
Pete E Phyllis Kolianos
Marco Island Historical Society
Darylanne E Dennis Powell
Bill Spikowski E Alison Ackerman
Boca Grande Historical Society
Lois E. Clarke
Guy P. Fischer
Michael E. Moseley
Mary Ann Scott
Editor: William Marqua
Writers: D L Havlin an
Production: GBS Produ
Gift Shop E Tour InForr
W S Send questions or comments to:
irdt Randell Research Center
,d PO Box 608
Pineland. FL 33945-0608
action Telephone: (239) 283-2062
s FLORIDA Fax: (239) 283-2080
nation: MUSEUM Email: randellcenter(Dcomcast net
OF NATURAL HISTORY Website: www fmnh ul edu/RRC/