Front Cover
 How your need is determined
 Special student categories
 How to apply
 Common mistakes
 Verification/student rights
 Get connected @ UF
 Calendar and contact informati...

Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00087106/00002
 Material Information
Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Series Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Physical Description: Serial
Language: English
Creator: Office for Student Financial Affairs, University of Florida
Publisher: University of Florida Office of Student Financial Affairs
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: 2007-08
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00087106
Volume ID: VID00002
Source Institution: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.


This item has the following downloads:

GAguide0708 ( PDF )

Table of Contents
    Front Cover
        Page 1
        Page 2
        Page 3
    How your need is determined
        Page 4
    Special student categories
        Page 5
    How to apply
        Page 6
        Page 7
    Common mistakes
        Page 8
    Verification/student rights
        Page 9
    Get connected @ UF
        Page 10
        Page 11
    Calendar and contact information
        Page 12
Full Text




2007-08 GATOR AID


Office for Student
Financial Affairs
The Office for Student Financial Affairs
(SFA) is the financial aid office at the
University of Florida (UF). SFA provides
financial aid advising and information about
application and financial aid programs to
students, prospective students, and their
parents. Come to our lobby in S-107 Criser
Hall if you need assistance with any part of
the financial aid process. Office hours are
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

SFA also has satellite offices at the Colleges of
Dentistry, Law, and Medicine, and at the
HPNP Bldg. for the Colleges of Public Health
& Health Professions; Nursing; Pharmacy; &
Veterinary Medicine. Students attending these
colleges should contact the satellite offices.
See Addresses & Phone Numbers on p. 12 of
this brochure.

Who is Eligible for Aid?
Eligibility requirements for most financial aid
programs at UF are listed below. You must:
1. Be a U. S. citizen, national, or permanent
resident alien.
2. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment
at least half time in a degree program.
Exception: Federal Pell Grants. For
complete information on enrollment go to:
3. Make satisfactory academic progress
toward a degree. See UF's Financial Aid
Academic Progress Requirements in the
Gator Aid Handbook and on SFA's Web
4. Register with the Selective Service
Administration, if required to do so.
5. Not be in default on a federal or
institutional loan or owe a repayment on
a previous financial aid award received
at UF or other institution.

Financial Aid Programs

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, part-
time employment, or loan offered for the
express purpose of helping students pay
education-related expenses. Such aid is
usually provided by federal, state, university, or
private agencies. SFA offers one or more of
the various types of aid as a "financial aid
package" to students who apply on time and

are found eligible. For complete information on
the following, refer to: www.sfa.ufl.edu.

Grants ...
Grants are awards for students with the
greatest financial need; they do not have to
be repaid.
* Federal Pell Grants. The Federal Pell
Grant program is the largest federally funded,
undergraduate grant program. Awards are
based on students' enrollment status and their
expected family contribution as determined by
information they supply on the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Awards for students enrolled full-time range
from $400 to $4,050 per academic year.
* Federal Supplemental Educational
Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). FSEOG is a
federally funded program awarded by SFA to
undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional
financial need. Awards at UF generally range
from $100 to $4,000 per academic year.
* Federal Academic Competitiveness
Grant (ACG). ACG is a federally-funded
program awarded by SFA to undergraduates
who are U.S. citizens, qualify for Pell Grant,
and complete a rigorous high school program
after January 1, 2005. Awards range from
$200 to $1,350 per academic year. See
* National Science & Mathematics
Access to Retain Talent (SMART)
Grant. This federally-funded grant program
is awarded by SFA to undergraduates in
qualifying majors who are U.S. citizens,
qualify for Pell Grant, and meet academic
requirements. Awards range up to $4,000
per academic year. See http://studentaid.ed.
* Florida Student Assistance Grant
(FSAG). FSAG is a need-based, state grant
program for undergraduates attending eligible
Florida institutions. Recipients must meet
Florida residency requirements for student aid
and be enrolled in eligible academic degree
programs. Awards range from $200 to $1,722
per academic year.
* I. Douglas Turner Grant. This UF-
funded program is awarded by SFA to
undergraduates who demonstrate
exceptional need. Awards generally range
from $100 to $7,500 per academic year.
* UF Graduate Grant. This UF-funded
grant program is awarded by SFA to graduate
students who demonstrate exceptional
financial need. Awards range from $100 to
$2,000 per academic year.

Scholarships .
Scholarships are awards, based on academic
merit or special criteria, that do not have to
be repaid. Financial need may also be
considered. Students do not have to work
or perform service to receive scholarships.
* Florida Bright Futures Scholarships.
This program, awarded by the State of
Florida, provides three awards: the Florida
Academic Scholars Award, the Florida
Medallion Scholars Award, and the Florida
Gold Seal Scholars Award. Each award has
Scholarships, continued next page











The Gator Aid Application
Guide is produced by the
Office for Student Financial Affairs
Publications & Information Office,
S-102-A Criser Hall.
Editor/Layout: Susan Mickelberry.
Design/Photography: Lianne Jepson

The Office for Student Financial Affairs has taken
care to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of
information in this application guide. However,
contents are subject to change without notice
because of changing federal and state legislation.
All financial aid awards are contingent upon
availability of funds and subject to revision.

2 Gator Aid Application Guide

Scholarships, continued
different academic criteria for eligibility and
provides a different award amount. The top-
ranked scholar from each high school district
also receives the Florida Top Scholar's
Award, providing up to $1,500. Go to:
* Privately Funded Scholarships. A number
of privately funded scholarships are available
through UF These scholarships are awarded
by SFA based on guidelines provided by the
donors, financial need, and merit. To receive
funds, students must enroll full-time.
Scholarships generally range from $200 to
$2,500 per academic year. Go to:

Employment ...
Part-time student jobs through the following
programs require an overall 2.0 grade point
average. Students usually work 10-20 hours
a week and earn at least minimum wage.
Student job lists are available online.
1. On-Campus Jobs: Go to
Federal Work-Study (FWS). FWS is a
federally funded, need-based student
work program (including Federal
Community Service) awarded by SFA.
*Other Personnel Services (OPS). OPS
employment, an institutionally/ state-
funded program, is not based on need.
Application is open year-round.
2. Off-Campus Jobs: Non-UF employment.
Go to httD://www.sfa.ufl.edu/iob.html.

Student Loans ...
Most long-term student loans have low
interest rates and offer deferred repayment.
* Federal Direct Loan Program. Federal
Direct Loans include the Federal Direct
Stafford, Federal Direct Unsubsidized
Stafford, Federal Direct PLUS, and Federal
Direct Graduate PLUS programs.
Subsidized Stafford Loans are need-
based, federally subsidized loans with a
fixed interest rate of 6.8%. Repayment is
deferred until after students graduate,
withdraw, or enroll less than half-time.
Interest is paid by the federal government
until six months after students graduate,
withdraw, or drop below half-time
enrollment. A 2.5% origination fee is
charged at disbursement.
Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are not
based on need. "Unsubsidized" means the
interest is not deferred while in school.
However, repayment may be deferred until
after students graduate, withdraw, or enroll
less than half-time. Unsubsidized loans
have a 6.8% fixed interest rate. A 2.5%
origination fee is charged at disbursement.
Stafford loan limits for dependent first-
year students are $3,500/year ($7500 for
independent students); for dependent second-
year students $4,500/year ($8,500 for
independent students); for third- to fifth-year
students $5,500/year ($10,500 for
independent students). The aggregate
dependent undergraduate total is $23,000;
$46,000 for independent students.
Graduate students may borrow $8,500 per
year of subsidized funds to a combined
subsidized/unsubsidized total of $20,500, to
a aggregate total of $138,500. Some health

professions students may receive higher
Unsubsidized amounts.
Federal Direct PLUS Loans allow parents of
dependent undergraduates, as well as
graduate/professional students to borrow up
to the cost of education minus other financial
aid. There are no aggregate loan limits. The
program has a fixed interest rate of 7.9%. A
4% origination fee is charged at
disbursement. Unless deferred, repayment
begins 60 days after the loan is fully
disbursed. For complete Federal Direct
Loan information go to:
Federal Perkins Loans. This federal loan
program is awarded by SFA to students with
the greatest financial need. Undergraduates
may borrow up to $4,000 a year up to an
aggregate total of $20,000. Graduate
students may borrow up to $6,000 per year to
an aggregate of $40,000. Interest of 5%
begins to accrue when the loan becomes due
after a nine-month grace period. The
minimum monthly repayment amount is $40.
Loan Cancellation: Students have the
right to cancel any federal loan within 14
days after the disbursement date.
University of Florida Long-Term Loans.

SFA awards UF and/or private donor, need-
based loans, such as the Student Aid for
Education Loan, the Cora B. Pilling Loan,
the John G. and Fannie F. Ruge Memorial
Loan, the Hart R. Stringfellow Loan, the Meril
S. Beers Loan, and the Arthur L. Wallace
Loan. Awards vary from $500 to
$3,500 annually. Interest rates
range from 4% to 9%. UF may
require a minimum repayment
of $30 per month. These loans
require co-signers. -

Other Sources of Aid

The following are additional sources of aid other than SFA. Students
who receive funds through these sources and also apply for aid
through SFA must notify us they will receive this assistance as soon
as they are notified.
* UF Admissions Office. The Admissions Office awards
academic achievement scholarships, primarily to incoming
freshmen and transfers.
* Florida Prepaid College Plan. The Florida Prepaid College Plan
allows parents, grandparents, and others to lock in the cost of college
today. For more info, see our Web site; or the Prepaid Web site at:
* Individual UF Colleges. Aid available through individual
colleges within the university is listed in the Gator Aid Handbook
and on our Web site at: www.sfa.ufl.edu
* The State of Florida. The Florida Department of Education Office of
Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) sponsors many programs, such
as the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, the Florida Student
Assistance Grant, the Jose Marti Scholarship Challenge Grant, and the
Rosewood Family Scholarship. For more information, go to the OSFA
Web site, at: http://www.firn.edu/doe/osfa/splist.htm

* Outside Scholarships/Loans.
SFA includes a chapter on outside aid in our
Gator Aid Handbook and offers free
scholarship searches and an electronic
scholarship bulletin board through our home
page on the Web at:

Summer Financial Aid

An academic year at UF includes fall, spring, and summer
semesters. Freshmen and sophomores entering the State University
System must complete at least nine credit hours during a summer
session to graduate (for exemptions, see www.recistrar.ufl.edu/
cataloc/policies/reculationcraduation.html). SFA supports this
requirement and will award summer money if:
(1) funds are available for summer awards after fall/spring semester
needs have been met, OR
(2) a student chooses to use aid originally awarded for fall or spring
term during the summer.
For Summer 2007: Use a 2006-07 FAFSA
For Summer 2008: Use a 2007-08 FAFSA
2007-08 3

The financial information you and your family
provide on your Free Application for Federal
Student Aid (FAFSA) is analyzed by the federal
need analysis processor using "Federal
Methodology," a standard formula established by
the U.S. Congress. It is used by the federal
processor to calculate expected family
contribution (EFC)-how much individual students
and their families are expected to pay toward
higher education.

After analyzing your financial information, the
federal processor sends the results to the
university, indicating how much you and your
family should be able to pay toward your
education. If the cost of attendance at UF is
greater than what the processor indicates you
and your family should be able to pay, then the
university considers that you have financial need.

Cost of Attendance
Family Contribution
= Financial Need
Cost of Attendance includes tuition and fees,
books and supplies, housing, meals,
transportation, clothing maintenance, and
personal items/health insurance (see "2007-08
Estimated Costs of Attendance").

Expected Family Contribution consists of
expected parental contribution and/or student
contribution, depending upon the student's
classification as "dependent" or "independent."
Federal Methodology is used by the federal
processor to determine the amount of each
applicant's expected family contribution. It takes
into account the family's income and assets,
employment costs, living expenses, taxes,
family size, and the number of family members
in college.

Dependent vs.
The U.S. government has established criteria for
classifying financial aid applicants as dependent
or independent.
* If you are able to check "YES" to any item in
Step Three on the 2007-08 FAFSA, you are
considered independent for financial aid
purposes. If classified independent, your need
is evaluated on your own and (if applicable)
your spouse's income and assets.
* If you are classified dependent, your own
assets and income are considered as well as
your parents' assets and income when your
financial need is determined.

2007-08 Estimated Costs of Attendance
for a Two-Semester Academic Year


Books and Supplies
Computer Costs (low end)**
Housing & Meals
Clothing Maintenance
Personal/Health Insur.

Total Budget




at Home


* Tuition and fee figures are projected estimates for 2007-08 for incoming freshmen and graduate
students entering UF for the first time. Tuition/fees for continuing students may be lower. Out-of-state
undergraduates should add $15,310 to their projected tuition/fees. Out-of-state graduate students
should add $16,710 to their projected tuition/fees. Undergraduate tuition fees listed are based on an
average of 30 credit hours of 0-4999 level courses. Graduate tuition fees are based on 24 credit hours
of 5000-9999 level courses. Rates per credit hour and block fees include the student health fee.
**Budgets for upper-division and graduate students in certain colleges will be adjusted upwards to
accommodate higher computer costs.
All projected figures are subject to change.



The final approved
tuition fees for 2007-
08 are not available
at the time of printing.
For Tuition and Fee
information, go to the
University Financial
Services student page
University Financial
Services is located in
S-108 Criser Hall.


Transfer students

Generally, financial aid can not be
transferred from one institution to another.
In most cases you must reapply for aid. If
you plan to transfer to UF:
1. Contact both Student Financial Affairs
(SFA) and the financial aid office at the
institution you currently attend for
transfer policies.
2. Be sure the University of Florida (Federal
School Code 001535) is listed on your
Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) in one
of items 97 a-g when you receive it from
the processor.
3. If you are receiving a Florida Bright
Futures Scholarship or other aid
program from the State of Florida,
contact the Florida Department of
Education in Tallahassee. Inform them
that your school of record is UF
4. If you are receiving a Federal Direct
Loan or Federal Family Education
Loan at your current school, you
must cancel that loan, reapply at
SFA, and contact all your previous
lenders to update your enrollment
status and new address.



UF transient students are students who,
for a particular semester, do not take any
courses through UF, but rather elect to
attend another school in the State
University System of Florida for one term.
Financial aid awarded at UF may be
processed and paid by UF upon receipt of
consortium agreements and enrollment
certifications from the host institution.
Students wishing to receive financial aid
as a transient
student MUST see
a financial aid
adviser PRIOR
to the term
of non-UF
to see if
they are


Postbaccalaureate students must submit a
Financial Aid Academic Progress Petition
to SFA to have their postbaccalaureate
status evaluated before their eligibility for
financial aid can be determined. Financial
aid eligibility is directly related to a
student's degree-seeking status. Petitions
are available at SFA's service counters in
S-107 Criser Hall, or may be downloaded
from our Web site.

Graduate aid

In addition to the Graduate Grant,
graduate students may apply for and be
awarded Federal Direct Stafford Loans,
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford
Loans, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS
Loan, and most work programs described
in this Application Guide. Graduate
students pursuing master's or doctoral
degrees can also apply for fellowships,
assistantships, and other awards offered
through individual colleges and the
Graduate School. For these awards,
students should apply through the dean's
office of their college or department and
check on their application deadlines.

Students who accept an assistantship,
fellowship or traineeship must receive
Graduate School approval before
accepting other employment. Students
applying for loans or work through SFA
should understand that fellowships, fee
waivers, and health insurance benefits
must be included in aid packages. You
are responsible for notifying SFA of all
assistance you receive from any source.
Receiving fellowships or fee waivers
affects eligibility for aid through SFA.

Contact the Graduate School for more
information about graduate aid. The Office
of Research, Technology, and Graduate
Education in 256 Grinter Hall maintains a
comprehensive list of private and outside
scholarships and fellowships.


\'-te n-i .hoa0 n.or- -l -ll-r. tLJr.|l'itcl C..-In
N'Or'k LJp tO t it-l'-tl, -4i "hOlJr p-r ,,-, .K
tax-fre-- through VA Work-Study.

Veterans also are entitled to Tutorial
Assistance benefits, through which they
are reimbursed for tutorial expenses.
Questions on VA benefits should be
addressed to the VA Coordinator in the
UF Registrar's Office in Criser Hall.

Study Abroad

Awards from federal aid programs are
available to students who participate in
university-approved study abroad
programs. The reasonable costs of a
Study Abroad program, rather than the
university's cost of attendance, can be
used to determine students' financial aid
awards. Check with Student Financial
Affairs (SFA) in S-107 Criser Hall about
procedures to receive aid, including

Students with

Student Financial Affairs (SFA) in S-107
Criser Hall and the Dean of Students
Office (DSO) Disability Resource Center in
001 Reid Hall work together to assist
students with disabilities. Criser and
Peabody Halls are wheelchair accessible.
Students who need special help to apply
for aid may contact SFA at (352) 392-1272
(V/TDD). When applying for aid through
SFA, students with disabilities may qualify
for an increase in their educational
budgets to cover disability-related
expenses. For financial aid purposes,
undergraduates must be registered for at
least 12 credit hours per semester to be
considered full-time. DSO helps determine
disability-related expenses not offered or
provided by other agencies. The Disability
Resource Center's phone numbers are
(352) 392-8565 (V); fax (352) 392-8570. For
a TDD number call the Florida Relay
Service (Dial 711; or 1-800-955-
8770 for voice assistance).

2007-08 5


C l 0 00 *e III 0 000 0 m O

Complete an electronic OR
paper Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
on or after January 1, 2007.

We encourage you to apply electronically using FAFSA on the Web.
It can save you weeks in processing time and has a built-in editing
format to reduce errors. With FAFSA on the Web you apply directly
to the Federal Department of Education on your computer. You can
do this using Netscape Navigator 6.2 or above, Internet Explorer 5.0
or above, AOL 5.0 or above, and Mozilla Firefox 1.5 or above.
Complete browser requirements are available at FAFSA on the Web.
Online Application
* Go to FAFSA on the Web at: www.fafsa.ed.cov.
* Request a federal PIN (see Your Federal Pin" below).
* Follow the instructions on the site.
Be sure you read "Before Beginning a FAFSA."
* Read "Common Mistakes on the FAFSA" in this Application
Guide on p. 8.
* List "University of Florida" and the UF Federal School Code
(001535) in item 97
* Sign your FAFSA. Students can sign the FAFSA
electronically using their federal PIN (see "Your Federal Pin" on
p. 7), instead of printing, signing, and mailing the signature page
to the federal processor. Parents of dependent students must
either request their own PIN to sign electronically, or print,
sign, and mail the signature page to the processor.
* After applying, you can also check the status of your
application and/or make corrections online at

* After January 1, pick up a Free Application for Federal Student
Aid (FAFSA) from a high school counselor or university or
community college financial aid office. Complete and return it to
the federal processor.
* List "University of Florida" and the UF Federal School Code
(001535) in one of items 97 a-g.
* Read "Common Mistakes on the FAFSA" in this Application
Guide on p. 8.

* You must reapply for aid each year by updating your financial
information and status. The RenewalApplication on FAFSA on the
Web has some of your information from the previous year already
filled in for you to make the process easier. Simply go to
www.fafsa.ed.aov and select "Fill out a Renewal FAFSA."

You will receive a Federal Student
Aid Report (SAR) from the federal
processor after you submit your
The SAR indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which
is used to determine your eligibility or ineligibility for financial aid. It
also lists information you recorded on your FAFSA, so that you can
check your information for accuracy. If you provide your email
address on your FAFSA, you will receive online SAR information
as soon as 24 hours after your FAFSA is processed. If no
corrections are needed, keep the SAR with your financial aid
records. If UF is listed in the College Release Section of your SAR,
we will receive your electronic application information directly from
the processor. If it is not listed and you want to be considered for aid
at UF, you must call the federal processor at 1 (800) 433-3243, or
use your Federal PIN to make a correction at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Q Follow up on your application.
It may be selected for
Verification/Quality Assurance.
You are responsible for following up on your aid application. You can
check the status of your financial aid application and award on ISIS
on the UF Web site (see p. 10). Do not wait until school begins to
submit required documents and to ask questions if you are unsure
about any aspect of the application process. If your application is
selected for Verification or Quality Assurance, you will be
required to provide appropriate verifying documentation
before aid can be disbursed to you (see "Verification/Quality
Assurance," p. 9). Respond promptly to requests from us
asking for information or documentation. Most forms needed for
this process are available for printing from your "financial aid
status" page on ISIS, or on our Web site (see p. 10).

QYou will receive a Notification of
Financial Aid Award from us.

When UF receives your application information from the
federal processor, if you are eligible for aid and have been
admitted to UF, SFA will award you an aid package based on
your need. You will receive a Notification of Financial Aid Award,
either by email or through the U.S. Postal System, stating the
terms and conditions of aid programs awarded to you. Read it
carefully, and follow any instructions that pertain to you.

Fiaca aid is no renwe

6 Gator Aid Application Guide

Your Federal and State PINs

Your PINs are your "Personal Identification
Numbers" that function as your electronic
signatures and IDs. You will have
separate PINs for federal aid and State of
Florida programs. Be sure to use the
correct PIN. You will use your PINS year
after year. Keep them in a safe place!
Your Federal PIN
Your federal PIN is your electronic
identifier and signature and allows you
access to personal information in
various U.S. Department of Education
(USDOE) systems, including applying
for federal student aid.
Use your Federal PIN to:
(1) access FAFSA/FAFSA on the Web,
(2) sign your FAFSA electronically or
obtain a copy of your FAFSA
(3) complete your federal student loan
(Federal Direct and/or Perkins Loans)
electronic Master Promissory Notes;
(4) make online FAFSA corrections; and
(5) review your grant and loan history
on the National Student Loan Data

Update Your Address
with the Federal

If your mailing address or your email
address changes, update this
immediately with the federal processor.
The processor mails Student Aid
Reports, electronic PINs, and other
notices to these addresses. Please
note that the U.S. Department of
Education does not permit PINs to be
forwarded. You can change email and
local addresses online at the FAFSA on
the Web site at www.fafsa.ed.gov; or
by using your Federal Student Aid
Report (SAR), calling 1-800-433-3243,
or writing to: Federal Processor, P. j
Box 4021, Iowa City, IA 52243.

You can request a PIN, request a
replacement PIN, or update your PIN
mailing address at the USDOE's PIN
Site at: www.pin.ed.gov

Your State of Florida PIN
If you receive a Florida Bright Futures
(FBFS) award from the State of Florida,
you will also receive a System ID and
Personal Identification Number (PIN) with
instructions on how to access your Bright
Futures record on the Web. Use these to:
(1) view your State of Florida award
(2) update your demographic
(3) update your college choice,
(4) view the amount disbursed each
(5) monitor your hours remaining for the
year and for the scholarship, and
(6) view a list of correspondence sent
to you by the FBFS Program.
For questions, call: 1 (888) 827-2004.
FBFS information is available at:
org/ SSFAD/home/faq.asp

Estimate Your Taxes
to meet the "On-Time"


If you haven't filed your 2006 federal
tax return when it is time to apply,
you can report "estimated" 2006
income information on your FAFSA.
However, you will be required to
CORRECT your FAFSA if your
estimated income information differs
from what you actually file on your
tax return.

Be sure to keep a copy of your tax
return. You may be asked to provide


Social Security No.

on your FAFSA to get
financial aid on time!

"Financial Aid Application Help Sessions" are
held each spring in January and February.
Students can get individual help completing
the FAFSA online. All sessions are open-no
appointment is required. In January, watch our
Web site, the Independent Florida Alligator

eeUF's Gator Times
mil tiemail, or Student
conideNews on myUFL
r lt A a for times and

c locations.
hel eac sprn in Jaur an Febrary
Stdet can get iniida hepcmltn
the FAS onie Al sesin are open-n

Still have a question? Come to our office in S-1 07 Criser Hall, or call us at (352) 392-1275. For questions on completing the
FAFSA, call the federal processor at (800) 433-3243/(319) 337-5665. The Student Resource Center in our lobby can help
with such services as using FAFSA on the Web, free scholarship searches, finding a student job, and using ISIS.
2007-08 7



Pay special attention to FAFSA items in this section!

Parents of Dependent Students
Parents) of dependent students are
required to provide:
* Social Security Number(s) in FAFSA
item 58 or 62.
date(s) of birth in FAFSA item 61 or 65.
last name and first initial in FAFSA
items 59/60 or 63/64.
Not supplying a parent's name, date of
birth, or Social Security Number will cause
a student's FAFSA to be rejected.

In the 2007-08 school year, we will focus our
verification efforts on the following items
that tend to be incorrectly reported on aid
applications. You/your parents may be
asked to document such items. Item
numbers pertain to the paper FAFSA.

Do NOT submit copies of tax returns to
Student FinancialAffairs (SFA), unless we
request them. When you receive your Federal
Student Aid Report (SAR) from
the federal processor disregard any comment
that indicates you have been selected for
verification. We will notify you if you are
selected for verification by our office.

(Questions 16, 50, and 56)
Please also see "Adjusted Gross
Income/Income Tax Paid" below.
You must report marital status as of the
date you file the FAFSA for all individuals
about whom you give information. If you
are not married as of the date you sign the
FAFSA, check "unmarried" even if you plan
to marry during the award year. Intended
spouses cannot be included in household
size, and this item cannot be updated after
filing the FAFSA. If your natural mother and
father are divorced and the responsible
parent has remarried, when indicating the
responsible parent's marital status, mark
the box that says "married/remarried" and
include income/asset information for both
parent and stepparent.

(Questions 66 and 90)
Include only the number of people that
you/your parents now support and for whom
you/your parents will continue to provide
more than 50% support between July 1,
2007, and June 30, 2008 (including your
unborn child, if that child will be born before

or during the award year). Also include your
parents' other dependent children who will
be attending postsecondary schools in 2007-
08. Always include yourself (the student).

(Questions 67 and 91)
Include only household members who will
attend college between July 1, 2007,
and June 30, 2008, at least six credit
hours per term or 12 clock hours per
week. Students must be working toward a
degree or certificate leading to a recognized
educational credential at a college eligible to
participate in federal student aid programs.
Do not include parents attending college.

Worksheet "A" (Questions 40 and 84)
Earned Income Credit. In questions 40
and 84, report the totals from Worksheet
A, which includes your (and your
spouse's/your parents') Earned Income
Credit from IRS Form 1040, Form 1040A,
Form 1040EZ, or Telefile.
Social Security Benefits. When entering
Social Security benefits, include benefits
received for every child in the family. If
Social Security checks are made payable
to the parent for the student, be sure to
place the benefit amount under the
parent's untaxed income totals.
Worksheet "B" (Questions 41 and 85)
Payments to tax-deferred pension and
savings plans.
Untaxed portions of IRA and Keogh
payments, 401(k) and 403(b) plans.
SChild support received for all children
[total amount of child support you/your
parents) received from Jan. 1, 2006, to
Dec. 31, 2006.]
*Tax exempt interest income.
Untaxed portions of pensions (excluding
"rollovers," which must be identified as
such on the IRS return).
SMilitary/clergy housing, food, living
SCash support or any money paid on your
behalf (include rent/mortgage, tuition,
insurance paid by someone other than
the parent, if dependent).

(Questions 35/36 and 79/80)
Use a completed 2006 tax return if at all
possible when completing the financial aid

If your tax filing is delayed, estimate your
information to meet the "on-time" UF aid
deadline. If you estimate, be sure to update
your application after your taxes are filed.
Keep a photocopy of your tax return. You
may be asked to provide a copy.
*When reporting U. S. taxes paid, do NOT
report the amount of tax "withheld" and do
NOT include self-employment taxes.
If your responsible parent is remarried (even
if they were not married in 2006), you must
include your step-parent's income and
asset information.
If you/your parents are married and filed
separate income tax returns, income
information from both tax returns must be
combined and reported.
If you or your parents are divorced,
separated, or widowed, DO NOT include
information about your or your parent's
spouse. For further assistance, call us at
(352) 392-1275.

(Questions 43.44.45, 87. 88, 89)
When answering questions pertaining to
parent/ student assets, you must report the
net worth of those assets as of the date you
complete the FAFSA. These items cannot
be updated after filing the original form.
Do not include financial aid you received.

(Questions 42 and 86)
Read instructions for Worksheet "C"
carefully before transferring your responses
to item numbers 42 and/or 80. Information
should be reported in this item when
you/your parents have paid child support
or reported as income Federal Work-Study,
scholarships, fellowships and/or grants,
Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits, or
AmeriCorps awards.
(Question 31)
Students must answer this question
about drug-related offenses.
Do not leave this question blank. A drug-
related conviction does not necessarily
mean you are ineligible for aid. For more
information about the UF's policy on
alcohol and other drug use, as well as the
federal policy on drug convictions and
financial aid eligibility, see "UF Drug-Free
Schools Policy".

8 Gator Aid Application Guide



What Happens if

YOU are Selected?
Each ,ear .bout 30 p-rc-it of .turt-i.' fi ia l .adr
.ipplica.tlOils il.atiLOinvrje e -cho-Sr for "** eificatio. ": a process
of confiriiii.' data supplied b;' the applicant and or pare-nts. UF
also I I fUSt re ol'.e .iiCrepall'iCis ol'n tUC. el' fiini, l ic al aid
.applica.ioI-S. UF parlcipates 1, the Fede Jral Olualit, ASSiur.-iCc
Progr.-amir Pa.ricip.~atOl' 1 his progr'.a .ll'o Ui to eSt. biblSh
SerifiCatiOlO Criter-a for UF al irj dr terlnl.l e I ,hi'ch Stur.e-l'it files muit
be ,'erifitd. B-cause of thil- ,01o i hotlid d ,isregard a,i) W state-mei'lt
0o ,ouri Feldeial Student AI Report that ,ou air be-ng erified.

If your application is selected for verification or quality
assurance, or if there are discrepancies on your aid
application information, you will receive an email from us
alerting you to check your Financial Aid Status on ISIS
to determine what documents to provide. Aid funds cannot
be disbursed to you until you have submitted all requested
documents and the accuracy of your information has been
checked. Do not submit any documents unless we request
that you do so. This process cani take so. w-eeks or longer.

Students' Rights & Responsibilities

Your responsibilities are to:
* complete applications correctly and on time.
* read and understand all materials sent to you
from SFA and other financial aid agencies or
provided on the SFA Web site; keep copies of
all forms and materials that you send in.
* know and comply with the rules governing
aid you receive.
* provide all documentation and information
requested by SFA.
* comply with the provisions of any promissory
note and all other agreements you sign.
* register for the number of hours required for
your aid disbursement (for financial aid
enrollment requirements, go to:
* maintain satisfactory academic progress (see
* notify SFA of all resources not listed on your
award letter.
* use aid only for expenses related to attending UF
* check your GatorLink email account for
financial aid info.

Do I
* turl'l .n all docJumenll ts re-qu.ested b-, SFA
.3a5 500 .s3 pOssible.
* be sure ..ll dOC ITlllI'ict .r Si.,l'gned.
* be stir, i o r rinlie ..llndrj UFID ald Or Social
Se.uri, number .re o' 111 docum'entiis '.ou submit.
* keep photocopies of .3al iiformti._ioli ,oul
ubllnIl ..l'li reCOrd the dCitel- o, O -ld inr
the- crocui-lrits.
* kRe.p photocopl-s of t.~. rettUrln ailrJ VV-25.
* call the IRS at 1-8c;00-829-1040 if .,ou need
copies of .,olr IRS for ms.

Do not
* Lrl'i 'il i iicomi1plete Or illeible docuLini- its:
if you rdo. the oiIl be retturlnedr to OU w'lth
a request for aCCeptable fornmsl. CriaUing'i
del..y i proces-,Sing .o r aid.
* tunr' in' copies of uinco Ie tla, forms vit h
-1rfirirn-.ilto-l obsculre- b., .~iother- form.
* Iturn inI' an, documlele-ta3ioil u rn.les fequ-estedi b-, SFA.
* Do Inot pa31c! Just be or)nii:erd.

Change in Family


You have the right to:
* be informed of correct procedures
to apply for aid, cost of attendance,
aid available, how financial need is
determined, criteria for awarding
aid, how academic progress is
determined, and what you must do
to continue receiving aid.
* be informed of the type and amount
of your assistance, how much of
your need has been met, and how
and when you will be paid.
* appeal financial aid office
decisions about your application.
* view the contents in your financial
aid file, in accordance with the
Family Educational Rights
and Privacy Act.
* know the conditions of any loan
that you accept.
* know the job description and
pay rate for any job that you
hold or for which you may


If any of the following circumstances
apply to you/your family, check with your
financial aid adviser to see if this might
affect your financial aid application.
Students petitioning financial aid awards
are strongly encouraged to do so from
March 1-June 1.
1. Divorce of parents, or you from your
2. Death of a major wage earner.
3. Loss of employment of a major wage
4. Loss of other income or
benefits (such as Social
Security or child
support), by
you, your
parents or |
spouse. I

2007-08 9


Your UFID & GatorLink

Your UFID (University of Florida ID Number),
assigned to you by the University, is your
primary identifier for all your UF records
and transactions. It is printed on your Gator 1
ID card. You can also find out your UFID online
at: www.it.ufl.edu/ufid

You will use your UFID to conduct UF
business. For instance, you will use it in
conjunction with your GatorLink ID and password
to access my.UFL and ISIS. To get a GatorLink
account, go to: www.catorlink.ufl.edu.

Your UFID vs. Your Social Security Number
(SSN). Please note that when you apply for
financial aid you will also be asked for your SSN.
Your SSN does not function as an ID at UF;
however, it is required by the federal government
to process your financial aid application.

my.UFL: the UF Web Portal SFA Email

Students can conduct most UF
business through my.UFL, including
ISIS access, updating your mailing
address, applying for on-campus
student jobs, and accessing Gator
Tickets for athletic events. You can
also read daily UF announcements
under Student News.

To access my.UFL, sign in using your
GatorLink user name and password.

Update Your Mailing Address:
sign in with your GatorLink ID and
password, choose "My Account," then
"Update My Directory Profile."

Use ISIS @ www.isis.ufl.edu

Check Financial Aid
Status/Disbursement Info
You are responsible for keeping track of
your financial aid file, before and after you
receive your award notice. Get the status
of your aid file, documents still needed, and
your deferment and disbursement status on
ISIS. Under "Financial Aid" for the correct
award year, choose from Aid Status, Awards
and Disbursements, and Additional Aid

Complete Student Loan
To receive Federal Direct Stafford or
PLUS Loans, you must complete all loan
disbursement requirements through
ISIS, including:

1. Accept your loan(s) under "Awards and
2. Complete a Master Promissory Note
(MPN)--if needed--by following prompts
under "Aid Status." You can also complete
a Master Promissory Note by going directly
to the federal MPN site at
3. Complete Direct Loan Entrance
Counseling if you are a first-time borrower
(see below).

Student Loan Entrance &
Exit Counseling
(Direct Loan and Perkins Loan)
On ISIS under "Financial Services,"
choose "Entrance Counseling, Direct
Loan" or "Exit Counseling, Student Loan."

For more information, contact University
Financial Services in S-108 Criser at (352)

Perkins Loan Acceptance
If you are awarded a Federal Perkins
Loan, before you can receive the loan you
must accept the loan on ISIS. On ISIS
under "Financial Services," choose
"Perkins Loan Disclosure/Confirmation."

Direct Deposit Sign-Up
To have your financial aid deposited directly
into your checking account, go to ISIS:
choose "Financial Services," then "EFT Sign
Up." For more information, contact
University Financial Services in S-108 Criser
at (352) 392-0737.

Start a Financial Aid File-Keep:

* Photocopies of your federal income tax return and W-2s.
* Photocopies or printouts of your completed FAFSA.
* Your Federal Student Aid Report.
* Photocopies of forms or information used to complete your
aid application and all correspondence with aid agencies.
Borrower copy of promissory notes.
This Gator Aid Application Guide and your FAFSA instruction
Your Federal PIN.
Your State of Florida PIN and paperwork

10 Gator Aid Application Guide



Check your GatorLink email daily for
important financial aid correspondence.
SFA uses email as the primary way to
communicate with financial aid
applicants and recipients. SFA also
generates emails directly from students'
financial aid files to inform them of
requirements they still need to complete to
receive aid, including loans. Financial aid
emails often provide a link directly to ISIS.

GatorLink Accounts
SFA sends business emails directly to your
GatorLink email address. Make sure your
GatorLink address is up to date and
correctly configured to receive UF business
correspondence. To check your GatorLink
configurations, go to: www.gatorlink.ufl.edu.


On SFA's Web Site

Get financial aid program and application
information; find out late-breaking news on
our "News" feature; request a Gator Aid
Application Guide; take Financial Aid 101;
apply for a student job; and access free
scholarship search services, frequently asked
questions, and more at: www.sfa.ufl.edu

Financial Aid 101
SFA's financial aid primer for incoming
students, or continuing students, answers
questions such as how to keep track of your
aid file, and how Florida Bright Futures and
Florida Prepaid affect each other. Go to the
SFA Web site at:

SFA Scholarship Finder
SFA has a Scholarship Finder featured on
our home page. Our site also links to free
scholarship search services that provide
personalized lists of student aid from
national, state, public, and private
sources. Go to:
http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/101 /scholar

SFA Resource Center
SFA's Resource Center in S-107 Criser
Hall provides students help with
researching and applying for financial aid,
including scholarships and part-time jobs.
Students can access resources such as

ISIS; FAFSA on the Web (U.S. Department
of Education's site); and free scholarship
searches. The SFA Resource Center is
open from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday
through Friday.

SFA Forms on the Web
Our site has forms often needed to
complete the application process at:
A few examples are Federal Direct PLUS
Applications, petitions, and Verification
forms (before printing verification forms
check your "Aid Status" page on ISIS, or
check with your financial aid adviser.

Other Helpful Web Sites

UF University Financial Services

UF Student Jobs UF Graduate School
http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/job.html http://gradschool.rgp.ufl.edu

UF Admissions Office

ECSI (UF's Perkins Loan Servicer)

Direct Loan Servicing Center

State of Florida Aid Programs

Florida Prepaid College Plan

UF Office of the University Registrar Federal Student Aid
http://www.registrar.ufl.edu http://www.studentaid.ed.gov

/ / Unfed

I' I --,. ,..'^ 'w

.... '"

The Unit et st[ of Flo,.:I, enstines the contf.:ental.i~t of
t.,ulent ecoti' n l ,ccco.:lnce i it i Stat..e ULni et sit
S sitem ILileS. itate st..itutes. n:l the F.arnll Ed'uc.ation
Richtis .anl Pi. a. c1 Act f 19--J. knoi n .as the Buchalei
Anen.:Irnent. YoL. t final financial intfOimraticOn anl the
tt f.e ,an-I .anmount of OL ,ai.. aie hel: n contfience. .ani
nfoimrnation is elease,:i onli t ith 1 GoII o itten consent.

..... ,- R U

-:- -:,-"-:- ;.


i... ,... _

UF Drug-Free Schools Policy
A ilinil.3r Of UF poliCi o ii the- ui- of .lcoholl n'i i oth-r
dr-ugiS i pro' id-ed to O1 through the Di io-10 of Sltudentll
AHnfirS Web sit- in re-pons'- to the Drugi-Free SChOOli
.i'id Commnii'uliiil-it Act Amirerdir- lirit of 196;9 through the
D, ision- of Sltudentr Aff.ir Web si-t .at:

University of Florida

2007-08 11

S-107 Criser Hall P. O. Box 114025 Gainesville, FL 32611-4025 A Division of Student Affairs Department Educating Leaders for a Global Community


January 1, 2007
Apply now for aid for the 2007-08
academic year.

March 15, 2007
"On-Time" UF Financial Aid Application
Deadline. Apply by March 1, 2007, to
meet this deadline. The Office for Student
Financial Affairs (SFA) must receive the
results of your paper or electronic FAFSA
with a calculated "Estimated Family
Contribution" from the federal processor by
this date for you to be considered "on
time." Financial aid is awarded first-come,
first-served. Late applicants are considered
for aid that remains after "on-time"
applicants have been awarded.

June 1, 2007
"On-Time" deadline for revision petitions
to appeal 2007-08 aid award decisions.

October 16, 2007
"On-Time" Deadline to apply for fall 2007
Stafford and PLUS Federal Direct Loans.
We must receive your FAFSA analysis
and all other documents required to
complete your financial aid file.

December 15, 2007
Deadline to complete all federal
requirements for fall 2007 Stafford and
PLUS Federal Direct Loans.

March 1, 2008
"On-Time" Deadline to apply for spring
2008 Stafford and PLUS Federal Direct
Loans. We must receive your FAFSA
analysis and all other documents required
to complete your financial aid file.

April 16, 2008
"On-Time" Deadline to apply for summer
2008 Stafford and PLUS Federal Direct
Loans. We must receive your FAFSA
analysis and all other documents required
to complete your financial aid file.
May 1, 2008
Deadline to complete all federal requirements
for spring 2008 Stafford and PLUS Federal
Direct Loans.

June 30, 2008
Pell Grant Application deadline

August 1, 2008
Deadline to complete all federal
requirements for summer 2008 Stafford
and PLUS Federal Direct Loans.


& Phone Numbers

University of Florida

Office for Student Financial
Affairs (SFA)
S-107 Criser Hall
P. O. Box 114025
Gainesville, FL 32611-4025
(352) 392-1275
(352) 392-1272 (V/TDD)

SFA Satellite Offices
College of Dentistry
Dental Tower
D3-#17A, Health Sciences Center
(352) 846-1384
College of Law
164 Holland Hall
(352) 273-0620
College of Medicine
M-128 Health Sciences Center
(352) 392-7800
Colleges of Public Health and Health
Professions; Nursing; Pharmacy; &
Veterinary Medicine
G208 Student Services Center
HPNP Bldg., 101 Newell Drive
(352) 273-6202

MBA Financial Aid Office
P-102-1 Peabody Hall
(352) 392-1275, ext. 3386

U.S. Department of Education

Federal Student Aid (FSA) Programs
(Federal student financial aid info; request
a FAFSA; help filling out FAFSAs; questions
on your application status; duplicate SARs)
1 (800) 433-3243
1 (800) 730-8913 (TTY)

Direct Loan Servicing Center
Borrower Services
1 (800) 848-0979

Florida Department of

Office of Student Financial Assistance
1940 N. Monroe Street, Suite 70
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4759
(State student aid programs)
1 (888) 827-2004
www.firn.edu/doe (select "Financial Aid")

Financial aid applications are reviewed
without regard to race, creed, color, religion,
age, disability, sex, sexual orientation,
marital status, national origin, political
opinions or affiliations, or veteran status.

For financial aid assistance, hearing or
speech-impaired students can call SFA's
phone line for students with disabilities:
(352) 392-1272 (V/TDD)

Students trying to contact
a UF agency that does not
list a TDD number can call
the Florida Relay Service.


Dial 71 1, or
1-800-955-8771 (TDD)
1-800-955-8770 (Voice)

The SFA Web site at www.sfa.ufl.edu
is screen-reader friendly.

12 Gator Aid Application Guide

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs