Front Cover
 Back Cover

Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00087106/00001
 Material Information
Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Series Title: Gator aid: financial aid application guide
Physical Description: Serial
Language: English
Creator: Office for Student Financial Affairs, University of Florida
Publisher: University of Florida Office of Student Financial Affairs
Place of Publication: Gainesville, Fla.
Publication Date: 2006-07
Subject: University of Florida.   ( lcsh )
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00087106
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved, Board of Trustees of the University of Florida


This item has the following downloads:

GAguide0607 ( PDF )

Table of Contents
    Front Cover
        Page 1
        Page 2
        Page 3
        Page 4
        Page 5
        Page 6
    Back Cover
        Page 7
Full Text

University of Florida
Office for Student Financial Affairs
S-107 Criser Hall, P.O. Box 114025
Gainesvill FL 32611-4025



2006-07 Financial Aid Application Guide

Fall 2006, Spring 2007,
& Summer 2007

P,; o





Student Financial Affairs Scholarships...

The Office for Student Financial Affairs (SFA) is the
financial aid office at the University of Florida (UF).
SFA provides financial aid counseling and information
about application and financial aid programs to students,
prospective students, and their parents.
Stop by our customer service lobby in S-107 Criser Hall
if you need assistance with any part of the financial aid
process. Office hours are 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday
through Friday.
SFA also has satellite offices at the Colleges of Dentistry,
Law, and Medicine, and at the HPNP Bldg. for the
Colleges of Public Health & Health Professions; Nursing;
Pharmacy; & Veterinary Medicine. See Addresses & Phone
Numbers in this brochure.

Who is Eligible for Aid?

Eligibility requirements for most financial aid programs
at UF are listed below. You must:
1. Be a U. S. citizen, national, or permanent resident alien.
2. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at least half time
in a degree program. Exception: Federal Pell Grants. For
complete information on enrollment go to:
3. Make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree.
See UF's financial aid academic progress requirements
in the Gator Aid Handbook and on the SFA Web site at:
4. Register with the Selective Service Administration, if
required to do so.
5. Not be in default on a federal or institutional loan or owe
a repayment on a previous financial aid award received
at UF or other institution.

Financial Aid Programs

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, part-time
employment, or loan offered for the express purpose of
helping students pay education-related expenses. Such
aid is usually provided by federal, state, university, or
private agencies. SFA offers one or more of the various
types of aid as a "financial aid package" to students who
apply on time and are found eligible. For complete
information, refer to: www.sfa.ufl.edu.

Grants are awards for students with the greatest
financial need; they do not have to be repaid.
* Federal Pell Grant. The Federal Pell Grant program is
the largest federally funded, undergraduate grant
program. Awards are based on students' enrollment
status and their expected family contribution as
determined by information they supply on the Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Awards
for students enrolled full-time range from $400 to
$4,050 per academic year.
* Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity
Grant (FSEOG). FSEOG is a federally funded grant
program awarded by SFA to undergraduates who
demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards at UF
generally range from $100 to $4,000 per academic year.
* Florida Student Assistance Grant (FSAG). FSAG is a
need-based, state grant program for undergraduates
attending eligible Florida institutions. Recipients must
meet Florida residency requirements for student aid
and be enrolled in eligible academic degree programs.
Awards range from $200 to $1,500 per academic year.
* I. Douglas Turner Grant. This UF-funded grant
program is awarded by SFA to undergraduates who
demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards
generally range from $100 to $7,500 per academic year.
* UF Graduate Grant. This UF-funded grant program is
awarded by SFA to graduate students who
demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards range
from $100 to $2,000 per academic year.

Financial aid applications are reviewed without regard to
race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, marital status, national origin, political
opinions or affiliations, or veteran status.

Scholarships are awards based on grades or special
criteria that do not have to be repaid. Some take financial
need into consideration. Students do not have to work or
perform service to receive scholarship funds.
* Florida Bright Futures Scholarships. This program,
awarded by the State of Florida, provides three
awards: the Florida Academic Scholars Award, the
Florida Medallion Scholars Award, and the Florida Gold
Seal Scholars Award. Each award has different
academic criteria for eligibility and provides a different
award amount. The top-ranked scholar from each high
school district also receives the Florida Top Scholar's
Award, an additional award of up to $1,500.
* Privately Funded Scholarships. A number of
privately funded scholarships are available through
UF. These scholarships are awarded by SFA based
on guidelines provided by the donors, financial need,
and merit. To receive funds, students must enroll full-
time. Scholarships generally range from $200 to
$2,500 per academic year.


Part-time student jobs through the following programs
require an overall 2.0 grade point average. Students
usually work 10-20 hours a week and earn at least
minimum wage. Student job lists are available online at:
Off-Campus Jobs: http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/job.html ;
On-Campus Jobs: http://jobs.ufl.edu
* Federal Work-Study (FWS). FWS is a federally
funded, need-based student work program (including
Federal Community Service) awarded by SFA.
* Other Personnel Services (OPS). OPS employment,
an institutionally/state-funded program, is not based
on need. Application is open year-round.

Student Loans...
Most long-term student loans have low-interest rates that
range from 4.7% to 9% and offer deferred repayment.
Current interest rates and other valuable information on
Federal Direct loans is available on the Web at:
* Federal Direct Loan Program (FDLP). FDLP consists
of the Federal Direct Stafford (FDSL), the Federal Direct
Unsubsidized Stafford (FDUSL), and the Federal Direct
PLUS (FDPLUS) programs. FDSLs are need-based,
federally subsidized, low-interest loans that have
repayment deferred until after students graduate,
withdraw, or enroll less than half-time. Interest is paid
by the federal government until six months after
students graduate, withdraw, or drop to less than half-
time enrollment. FDUSLs are not based on need.
"Unsubsidized" means the interest is not deferred
while in school. However, repayment may be deferred
until after students graduate, withdraw, or enroll less
than half-time. New borrowers have a variable interest
rate capped at 8.25%. A 3.0% origination fee may be
charged at disbursement.
Through the Federal Direct PLUS program, parents of
dependent undergraduates may borrow up to the cost
of education per child enrolled in higher education,
minus other financial aid. There are no aggregate loan
limits. For new borrowers, the program has a variable
interest rate capped at 9%. A 4% origination fee is
charged at disbursement. Unless deferred, repayment
begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed.
Loan Cancellation: Students have the right to
cancel any federal loan within 14 days after the
disbursement date.
* Federal Perkins Loans. This federal loan program is
awarded by SFA to students with the greatest financial
need. Undergraduates may borrow up to $4,000 a year
up to an aggregate total of $20,000. Graduate students
may borrow up to $6,000 per year to an aggregate of
$40,000. Interest of 5% begins to accrue when the
loan becomes due after a nine-month grace period.
The minimum monthly repayment amount is $40.
* University of Florida Long-Term Loans. SFA awards
UF and/or private donor, need-based loans, such as
the Student Aid for Education Loan, the Cora B. Pilling
Loan, the John G. and Fannie F. Ruge Memorial Loan,
the Hart R. Stringfellow Loan, the Meril S. Beers Loan,
and the Arthur L. Wallace Loan. Awards vary from $500
to $3,500 annually. Interest rates range from 4% to
9%. UF may require a minimum repayment of $30 per
month. These loans require co-signers.

Other Sources of Aid

The following are additional sources of aid other than SFA.
Students who receive funds through these sources and
also apply for aid through SFA must notify us of this
assistance as soon as they are aware of it.
* UF Admissions Office. The Admissions Office awards
academic achievement scholarships, primarily to
incoming freshmen and transfers.
* Florida Prepaid Tuition Plan. Florida Prepaid credits
are factored into students' aid packages. For more info,
see our Web site; or the Prepaid Web site at:
* Individual UF Colleges. Aid available through individual
colleges within the university is listed in the Gator Aid
Handbook and on our Web site at:
* The State of Florida. The Florida Department of
Education's Office of Student Financial Assistance
(OSFA) sponsors many programs, such as the Florida
Bright Futures Scholarship, the Florida Student
Assistance Grant, the Jose Marti Scholarship Challenge
Grant, and the Rosewood Family Scholarship. For more
information, go to the OSFA Web site, at:
* Outside Scholarships/Loans. SFA includes a chapter
on outside aid in our Gator Aid Handbook and offers
free scholarship searches and an electronic scholarship
bulletin board through our home page on the Web at:

Summer Financial Aid

An academic year at UF includes fall, spring, and
summer semesters. Freshmen and sophomores entering
the State University System must complete at least nine
credit hours during a summer session to graduate (for
exemptions, see http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/cataloq/
policies/regulationgraduation.html). SFA supports this
requirement and will award summer money if:
(1) funds are available for summer awards after fall/
spring semester needs have been met, OR
(2) a student chooses to use aid originally awarded for
the fall or spring term during the summer. To be
considered for a summer 2007 Federal Direct
Stafford Loan, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford
Loan, or Federal Direct PLUS loan, be sure to apply
by April 16, 2007 on ISIS under "Direct Loan
Confirmation" at: https://www.isis.ufl.edu/finaid.html.
For Summer 2006: Use a 2005-06 FAFSA
For Summer 2007: Use a 2006-07 FAFSA

Change in Family


If any of the following circumstances apply to you/your
family, check with your financial aid adviser to see if this
might affect your financial aid application. Students
petitioning financial aid awards are strongly encouraged
to do so between March 1 -June 1.
1. Divorce of parents, or you from your spouse.
2. Death of a major wage earner.
3. Loss of employment of a major wage earner.
4. Loss of other income or benefits (such as Social
Security or child support), by you, your parents or

The Gator Aid Application Guide
is produced by the
Office for Student Financial Affairs
Publications & Information Office,
S-102-A Criser Hall.
Editor: Susan Mickelberry.
Design/Photography: Lianne Jepson
The cover photo and several interior photos are
of murals at the Florida Museum of Natural
History. The cover photo was painted by artist
Stacey Breheny. Others were painted by Stacey
Breheny and Brian Chamberlain.
The Office for Student Financial Affairs has taken care to
ensure the accuracy and timeliness of information in this
application guide. However, contents are subject to change
without notice because of changing federal and state
legislation. All financial aid awards are contingent upon
availability of funds and subject to revision.



UF Federal School Code for application purposes: 001535


Weeks Early

to meet the


Complete an electronic OR
paper Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
on or after January 1, 2006.

( To file online, use "FAFSA on the Web"

We encourage you to apply electronically using FAFSA
on the Web. It can save you weeks in processing time
and has a built-in editing format to reduce errors. With
FAFSA on the Web you apply directly to the Federal
Department of Education on your computer. You can do this
using Netscape Navigator 6.2 or above, Internet Explorer
5.0 or above, and AOL 5.0 or above. Complete browser
requirements are available on the FAFSA on the Web site.
Online Application
* Go to FAFSA on the Web at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.
* Request a federal PIN (see Your Federal Pin" below).
* Follow the instructions on the site.
Be sure you read "Before Beginning a FAFSA."
* Read "Common Mistakes on the FAFSA" in this
Application Guide on p. 6.
* Be sure you list "University of Florida" and
UF's Federal School Code (001535).
* Sign your FAFSA. Students can sign the FAFSA
electronically using their federal PIN (see "Your
Federal Pin" below), instead of printing, signing, and
mailing the signature page to the federal processor.
Parents of dependent students must either request
their own PIN to sign electronically, or print, sign, and
mail the signature page to the processor.
* After applying, you can also check the status of
your application and/or make corrections online at

( To file a paper FAFSA

* After January 1, pick up a Free Application for Federal
Student Aid (FAFSA) from a high school counselor or
university or community college financial aid office.
Complete and return it to the federal processor.
* List "University of Florida" and the UF Federal
School Code (001535) in one of items 86-96.
* Read "Common Mistakes on the FAFSA" in this
Application Guide on p. 6.

( Renewal Application

* You must reapply for aid each year by updating your
financial information and status. The RenewalApplication on
FAFSA on the Web, has some of your information from
the previous year already filled in for you to make the
process easier. Simply go to www.fafsa.ed.qov and select
"Fill out a Renewal FAFSA."

You MUST reapply EACH YEAR!
Financial aid is not
renewed automatically.


You will receive a Federal
Student Aid Report (SAR)
from the federal processor
after you submit your FAFSA.

The SAR indicates your Expected Family Contribution (EFC),
which is used to determine your eligibility or ineligibility for
financial aid. It also lists information you recorded on your
FAFSA, so that you can check your information for accuracy.
If you provide your email address on your FAFSA, you
will receive online SAR information as soon as 24 hours
after your FAFSA is processed. If no corrections are
needed, keep the SAR with your financial aid records. If UF
is listed in the College Release Section of your SAR, we will
receive your electronic application information directly from
the processor. If it is not listed and you want to be
considered for aid at UF, you must call the federal processor
at 1 (800) 433-3243, or use your Federal PIN to make a
correction at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.


Follow up on your application.
It may be selected for
Verification/Quality Assurance.

You are responsible for following up on your aid
application. You can check the status of your financial aid
award on ISIS on the UF Web site (see p. 4). Do not wait
until school begins. Ask questions if you are unsure about
any aspect of the application process. If your application
is selected for Verification or Quality Assurance, you
will be required to provide appropriate verifying
documentation before aid can be disbursed to you
(see "Verification/Quality Assurance," p. 6). Respond
promptly to requests from us asking for information or
documentation. Most forms needed for this process are
available for printing from your "financial aid status" page
on ISIS, or on our Web site (see p. 4).

4 You will receive a Notification of
Financial Aid Award from us.

When UF has received your electronic application
information from the federal processor, and you have
been admitted to UF, if you are eligible for aid, SFA will
award you an aid package based on your
demonstrated need. You will receive a Notification of
Financial Aid Award, either by email or through the U.S.
Postal System, stating the terms and conditions of aid
programs awarded to you. Read it carefully, and follow
any instructions that pertain to you.

Your Federal and State PINs

Your PINs are your "Personal Identification Numbers" that
function as your electronic signatures and identifiers. There
are separate PINs for federal student aid and State of Florida
programs. Be sure to use the appropriate PIN. YOU WILL USE
THESE PINS YEAR AFTER YEAR. Keep them in a safe place!
Your Federal PIN
Your federal PIN is your electronic identifier and signature
and allows you access to personal information in various
U.S. Department of Education (USDOE) systems,
including applying for federal student aid.
You can use your Federal PIN to:
(1) access FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA on the Web,
(2) sign your FAFSA electronically or obtain a copy of your
FAFSA information;
(3) complete your federal student loan (Federal Direct
and/or Perkins Loans) electronic Master Promissory
(4) make online corrections to your FAFSA; and
(5) review your grant and loan history on the National
Student Loan Data System.

You can request a PIN, request a replacement PIN, or
update your PIN mailing address at the USDOE's PIN Site
at: www.pin.ed.gov

Your State of Florida PIN
If you receive a Florida Bright Futures (FBFS) award from the
State of Florida, you will also receive a System ID and
Personal Identification Number (PIN) with instructions on
how to access your Bright Futures record on the Web.
Use these to:
(1) view your State of Florida award status,
(2) update your demographic information,
(3) update your college choice,
(4) view the amount disbursed each semester,
(5) monitor your hours remaining for the year and for the
scholarship, and
(6) view a list of correspondence sent to you by the FBFS
For questions, call: 1 (888) 827-2004. FBFS information is
available at: https://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/

Still have a question? Come to our office in S-107 Criser Hall, or call us at (352) 392-1275.
For questions on completing the FAFSA, call the federal processor at (800) 433-3243/(319) 337-5665.

March 15



Send your paper or electronic FAFSA or
Renewal FAFSA to the federal processor as
soon as possible AFTER January 1.
We must receive the results of your paper or
electronic FAFSA with a valid "Estimated
Family Contribution" from the federal need
analysis processor by March 15 for you to be
considered "on-time."Apply several weeks
before this date to be sure the federal
processor has time to get us your results
before the deadline. Financial aid is awarded
first-come, first-served. Late applicants are
considered for aid that remains when their
application file is complete.
Apply for financial aid at the same time, or
even before, you apply for admission.

To meet the
"on-time" deadline...
You can use estimated 2005 income
information when filing your FAFSA if
you have not yet filed a 2005 federal
tax return when it is time to apply.
However, you WILL be required to
correct your FAFSA if your estimated
income information is different than
what you actually file on your federal
tax return. Be sure to keep a copy of
your tax return. You may be asked to
provide a copy.


Social Security #

on your FAFSA to get
financial aid on time!

Keep Your Address Up
to Date with the Feds!
If your mailing address or your email address
changes, update this immediately with the federal
processor. The processor mails Student Aid
Reports, electronic PINs, and other notices to
these addresses, so it is critical that you keep
them up to date. Please note that the U.S.
Department of Education does not permit PINs
to be forwarded. You can change email and local
addresses online at the FAFSA on the Web site at
www.fafsa.ed.gov; or by using your Federal
Student Aid Report (SAR), calling 1-800-433-3243,
or writing to: Federal Processor, P. O. Box 4021,
Iowa City, IA 52243.

Financial Aid Application Help Sessions are held
each spring. Students can get individual help
completing the FAFSA online in Room 282 of the
Reitz Union.

February 7
February 8
February 14
February 15
February 28
March 1

1-4 p.m.
1-4 p.m.
1-4 p.m.
1-4 p.m.
1-4 p.m.
1-4 p.m.

Rm 282 JWRU
Rm 286 JWRU
Rm 282 JWRU
Rm 287 JWRU
Rm 282 JWRU
Rm 282 JWRU


Students' Rights & Responsibilities


Your responsibilities are to:
* complete applications correctly and on time.
* read and understand all materials sent to you from SFA and
other financial aid agencies or provided on the SFA Web site;
keep copies of all forms and materials that you send in.
* know and comply with the rules governing aid you receive.
* provide all documentation and information requested by SFA.
* comply with the provisions of any promissory note and all
other agreements you sign.
* register for the number of hours required for your aid
disbursement (for financial aid enrollment requirements, go
to: www.sfa.ufl.edu/receiving/enroll.html).
* maintain satisfactory academic progress (see
* notify SFA of all resources not listed on your award letter.
* use aid only for expenses related to attending UF
* check your GatorLink email account for financial aid info.

You have the right to:
* be informed of correct procedures to apply for aid, cost
of attendance, aid available, how financial need is
determined, criteria for awarding aid, how academic
progress is determined, and what you must do to
continue receiving aid.
* be informed of the type and amount of your assistance,
how much of your need has been met, and how and
when you will be paid.
* appeal financial aid office decisions about your
* view the contents in your financial aid file, in accordance
with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
* know the conditions of any loan that you accept.
* know the job description and pay rate for any job that
you hold or for which you may apply.

Start a Financial Aid File

* Photocopies of your federal income tax return and
* Photocopies or printouts of your completed
* Your Federal Student Aid Report.
* Photocopies of forms or information used to
complete your aid application and all
correspondence with aid agencies.
* Borrower copy of promissory notes.
* This Gator Aid Application Guide and your
FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA instruction booklet.
* Your Federal PIN.
* Your State of Florida PIN and paperwork.

myUFL: the UF Web Portal Your UFID & GatorLink SFA Email Correspondence

myUFL, UF's Web portal, provides students
access to campus information and many online
resources. Students conduct all UF business
through myUFL, including ISIS access and
registration, applying for on-campus student
jobs, and changing mailing addresses in the UF
Directory (see "Use ISIS" below).
Get up-to-date Student News by signing on to
myUFL using your GatorLink user name and
password. Go to: my.ufl.edu
To create a GatorLink account, go to:

Your UFID (University of Florida Identification Number) is assigned
to you by UF The UFID is your primary identifier for all your UF
records and transactions. It will be printed on your Gator 1 ID card.
You will use your UFID to conduct UF business. For instance,
you will use it in conjunction with your GatorLink ID and
password to access ISIS and my.UFL. If you do not have a
GatorLink account, go to: www.gatorlink.ufl.edu
Find out your UFID online by going to: www.it.ufl.edu/ufid
Your UFID vs. Your Social Security Number (SSN). Please note
that when you apply for financial aid you will also be asked for
your Social Security Number. Your SSN does not function as an
ID at UF; however, it is required by the federal government to
process your financial aid application.

To stay on top of your financial aid, check your GatorLink
email daily for important financial aid correspondence.
Financial aid emails include: financial aid award notices;
follow-up letters; direct loan correspondence (re:
confirmation, promissory notes, and entrance counseling);
academic progress notifications; verification notifications;
and requests for additional documentation.
Financial Aid Mail & GatorLink Accounts
SFA sends business emails directly to your GatorLink
email address. Make sure that your GatorLink email
address is correctly configured to receive UF business
correspondence. To check your GatorLink
configurations, go to: www.gatorlink.ufl.edu.

SFA Web Site

Use ISIS for SFA & UF Business

Get up-to-date application instructions and financial aid program
information; find out late-breaking news on our "News" feature; request
a Gator Aid Application Guide; take Financial Aid 101 for a quick financial
aid review; access free scholarship search services, the online student
job lists, frequently asked questions, and more.
Go to: www.sfa.ufl.edu
SFA Forms on the Web Financial Aid 101

SFA's Web site provides printable
forms often needed to complete
the application process at:
I. Examples include Federal
Direct PLUS Loan applications,
Additional Aid Forms, petitions,
and verification forms. Before
printing verification forms,
please check your "Aid Status"
page on ISIS, or check with
your financial aid adviser.

SFA Scholarship
SFA has a new Scholarship
Finder featured on our home
page. Try it out! Our Web site
also links to several free
scholarship search services that
provide personalized searches
of financial aid from national,
state, public, and private
sources. Go to:

SFAs financial aid primer for
incoming students, or
continuing students answers
questions such as how to
keep track of your aid file, and
how Florida Bright Futures
and Florida Prepaid affect
each other. On the SFA Web
site go to:

SFA Resource Center

SFA's Resource Center in
S-107 Criser Hall enables
students to research and apply
for financial aid, including
scholarships and part-time jobs.
Students can access online: the
U. S. Department of Education's
FAFSA on the Web site; the UF
Loan Confirmation site; the
Federal Direct Loan Master
Promissory Note site; ISIS; and
free scholarship searches. The
SFA Resource Center is open
from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.,
Monday through Friday.

Direct Deposit Sign-Up
To have your financial aid deposited directly into
your checking account, go to ISIS: choose
"Financial Services," then "EFT Sign Up." For
more information, contact University Financial
Services in S-108 Criser at (352) 392-0737.

Updating Mailing Address
YOU are responsible for keeping your mailing
address current at all times. To change your
address, go to ISIS: choose "Financial Services"
then "Address Change." OR, go to my.ufl.edu
and sign in with your GatorLink ID and
password, choose "My Account," then "Update
My Directory Profile." Update both your local (if
enrolled) and permanent addresses.
Federal Direct & Perkins Loans
Entrance & Exit Counseling
Go to ISIS: choose "Financial Services," then
"Direct Loan Entrance Counseling" or "Student
Loan Exit Counseling." For more information,
contact University Financial Services in S-108
Criser at (352) 392-0738.

Other Web Sites
University of Florida
UF Student Jobs
UF Admissions Office
UF University Financial Services
myUFL (UF portal to campus info)


UF's Integrated Student
Information System

Check Financial Aid Status
and Disbursement Info
Keep track of your aid file, before and after
you receive your award notice. Get information
about your award, the status of your aid file,
documents still needed, your deferment status,
and your disbursement status. Go to ISIS:
choose "Financial Aid Services," then "Financial
Aid Status" for the correct year.
Federal Direct Loan & Perkins
Loan Confirmations
If you are awarded a Federal Direct Stafford
Loan or Federal Perkins Loan, before you can
receive the loan you must confirm that you want
the loan. Perkins borrowers, choose "Financial
Services," then "Perkins Loan
Disclosure/Confirmation." Direct Loan borrowers
will receive instructions from us on this process.

GatorLink (student computing accounts)
ECSI (UF's Perkins Loan Servicer)
Federal Student Aid
Direct Loan Servicing Center
State of Florida Aid Programs Florida
Florida Prepaid College Plan



The financial information you and your family provide on your Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is analyzed by the
federal need analysis processor using "Federal Methodology," a
standard formula established by the U.S. Congress. It is used by the
federal processor to calculate expected family contribution (EFC)-
how much individual students and their families are expected to pay
toward higher education.

After analyzing your financial information, the federal processor
sends the results to the university, indicating how much you and
your family should be able to pay toward your education. If the cost
of attendance at UF is greater than what the processor indicates
you and your family should be able to pay, then the university
considers that you have financial need.
Cost of Attendance minus Family Contribution =
Financial Need

Cost of Attendance includes tuition and fees, books and supplies,
housing, meals, transportation, clothing maintenance, and personal
items/health insurance (see "2006-07 Estimated Costs of Attendance').

Expected Family Contribution consists of expected parental
contribution and/or student contribution, depending upon the
student's classification as "dependent" or "independent." Federal
Methodology is used by the federal processor to determine the
amount of each applicant's expected family contribution. It takes
into account the family's income and assets, employment costs,
living expenses, taxes, family size, and the number of family
members in college.

Dependent vs. Independent
The U.S. government has established criteria for classifying
financial aid applicants as dependent or independent.
* If you are able to check "YES" to any item in Step Three on the
2006-07 FAFSA, you are considered independent for financial aid
purposes. If classified independent, your need is evaluated on
your own and (if applicable) your spouse's income and assets.
If you are classified dependent, your own assets and income are
considered as well as your parents' assets and income when
your financial need is determined.

2006-07 Estimated Costs of Attendance
for a Two-Semester Academic Year

Tuition/Fees* $3,330
Books and Supplies 920
Computer Costs (low end)** 900
Housing & Meals 6,590
Transportation 520
Clothing Maintenance 590
Personal/Health Insur. 1,520


at Home


Total Budget $14,370 $15,420 $9,310 $18,270
*Tuition and fee figures are projected estimates for 2006-07. Undergraduate tuition fees listed
here are based on an average of 30 credit hours of 0-4999 level courses. Graduate tuition fees
are based on 24 credit hours of 5000-9999 level courses. Rates per credit hour and block fees
include the student health fee.
**Budgets for upper-division and graduate students in certain colleges will be adjusted upwards to
accommodate higher computer costs.
***Tuition/Fees listed for Graduate Off-Campus students are for continuing students. Graduate students
entering UF for the first time should add $520 to their projected two-semester costs of attendance.


2006-07 TUITION and FEES

Tuition fees for 2006-07 are not available at the time of
printing. For Tuition and Fee information, go to the
University Financial Services student page at:
httpi//www.fa.ufl.edu/ufs/. University Financial Services
is located in S-108 Criser Hall.

Transfer students

Generally, financial aid can not be transferred from one
institution to another. In most cases you must reapply for
aid. If you plan to transfer to UF:
1. Contact both Student Financial Affairs (SFA) and the
financial aid office at the institution you currently
attend for transfer policies.
2. SFA will access financial aid transcript information for
you via a national data source. You will be notified if
additional information is needed.
3. Be sure the University of Florida (Federal School Code
001535) is listed on your Federal Student Aid Report
(SAR) in one of items 86-96 when you receive it from
the processor.
4. If you are receiving a Florida Bright Futures Scholarship
or other aid program from the State of Florida, contact
the Florida Department of Education in Tallahassee.
5. If you are receiving a Federal Direct Loan or
Federal Family Education Loan at your current
school, you must cancel that loan, reapply at SFA,
and contact all your previous lenders to update
your enrollment status and new address.

Transient Enrollment

UF transient students are students who, for a particular
semester, do not take any courses through UF, but rather
elect to attend another school in the State University
System of Florida for one term. Financial aid awarded at
UF may be processed and paid by UF upon receipt of
consortium agreements and enrollment certifications
from the host institution. Students wishing to receive
financial aid as a transient student MUST see a financial
aid adviser PRIOR to the term of non-UF attendance to
see if they are eligible.

Postbaccalaureate aid

Postbaccalaureate students must submit a Financial
Aid Academic Progress Petition to SFA to have their
postbaccalaureate status evaluated before their
eligibility for financial aid can be determined. Financial
aid eligibility is directly related to a student's degree-
seeking status. Petitions are available at the customer
service counters of SFA in Criser Hall or may be
downloaded from our Web site.

Graduate aid

In addition to the Graduate Grant, graduate students
may apply for and be awarded Federal Direct Stafford
Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and
most work programs described in this Application Guide.
Graduate students pursuing master's or doctoral
degrees can also apply for fellowships, assistantships,
and other awards offered through individual colleges and
the Graduate School. For these awards, students should
apply through the dean's office of their college or
department and check on their application deadlines.

Students who accept an assistantship, fellowship or
traineeship must receive Graduate School approval
before accepting other employment. Students applying
for loans or work through SFA should understand
that fellowships and fee waivers must be included in
aid packages. You are responsible for notifying SFA
of all assistance you receive from any source.
Receiving fellowships or fee waivers affects
eligibility for aid through SFA.

Contact the Graduate School for more information
about graduate aid. The Office of Research, Technology,
and Graduate Education in 256 Grinter Hall maintains a
comprehensive list of private and outside scholarships
and fellowships.


Veterans who are enrolled students can work up to
twenty-five hours per week tax-free through VA Work-
Study. Veterans also are entitled to Tutorial Assistance
benefits, through which they are reimbursed for tutorial
expenses. Questions on VA benefits should be
addressed to the VA Coordinator in the UF Registrar's
Office in Criser Hall.

Study Abroad

Awards from federal aid programs are available to
students who participate in university-approved study
abroad programs. The reasonable costs of an overseas
study program, rather than the university's cost of
attendance, can be used to determine students'
financial aid awards. Check with Student Financial
Affairs (SFA) in S-107 Criser Hall about procedures
to receive aid, including scholarships.

Students with Disabilities

Student Financial Affairs (SFA) in S-107 Criser Hall and
the Dean of Students Office (DSO) in P-202 Peabody
Hall work together to assist students with disabilities.
Criser and Peabody Halls are wheelchair accessible.
Students who need special help to apply for aid may
contact SFA at 392-1272 (V/TDD). When applying for aid
through SFA, students with disabilities may qualify for an
increase in their educational budgets to cover disability-
related expenses. For financial aid purposes,
undergraduates must be registered for at least 12 credit
hours per semester to be considered full-time. DSO
helps determine disability-related expenses not offered
or provided by other agencies. DSO's phone numbers
are (352) 392-1261 (V) and (352) 392-3008 (TDD).

I "Ill'"



Pay special attention to the FAFSA items in this


Attention: Parents of Dependent Students
Parents) of dependent students are required to provide:
* date(s) of birth in FAFSA item 60 or 64.
* Social Security Number(s) in FAFSA item 57 or 61.
* last name and first initial in FAFSA items 58/59 or 62/63.
Not supplying a parent's name, date of birth, or Social
Security Number will cause a student's FAFSA to be rejected.

In the 2006-07 school year, we will focus our verification
efforts on the following items that tend to be incorrectly
reported on aid applications. You/your parents may be
asked to document such items. Item numbers pertain
to the paper FAFSA.

Do NOT submit copies of tax returns to Student
Financial Affairs (SFA), unless we request them. When
you receive your Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) from
the federal processor disregard any comment that indicates
you have been selected for verification. We will notify
you if you are selected for verification by our office.

* MARITAL STATUS (Questions 16. 50. and
55)-please also see "Adjusted Gross
Income/Income Tax Paid" below.
You must report marital status as of the date you
file the FAFSA for all individuals about whom you
give information. If you are not married as of the date
you sign the FAFSA, check "unmarried" even if you
plan to marry during the award year. Intended spouses
cannot be included in household size, and this item
cannot be updated after filing the FAFSA. If your
natural mother and father are divorced and the
responsible parent has remarried, when indicating
the responsible parent's marital status, mark the
box that says "married" and include income/asset
information for both parent and stepparent.

(Questions 65 and 84)
Include only the number of people that you/your parents
now support and for whom you/your parents will
continue to provide more than 50% support between
July 1, 2006, and June 30, 2007 (including your unborn
child, if that child will be born before or during the award
year). Also include your parents' other dependent
children who will be attending postsecondary schools
in 2006-07. Always include yourself (the student).
* NUMBER IN COLLEGE (Question 66 and 85)

Include only household members who will attend
college between July 1, 2006, and June 30, 2007, at
least six credit hours per term or 12 clock hours per
week. Students must be working toward a degree or
certificate leading to a recognized educational credential
at a college eligible to participate in federal student aid
programs. Do not include parents attending college.

Worksheet "A"-Questions 40 and 78
Earned Income Credit. In questions 40 and 78,
report the totals from Worksheet A, which includes
your (and your spouse's/your parents') Earned
Income Credit from IRS Form 1040, Form 1040A,
Form 1040EZ, or Telefile.
Social Security Benefits. When entering Social
Security benefits, include benefits received for every
child in the family. If Social Security checks are made
payable to the parent for the student, be sure to
place the benefit amount under the parent's untaxed
income totals.
Worksheet "B"-Questions 41 and 79
Payments to tax-deferred pension and savings plans.
Untaxed portions of IRA and Keogh payments,
401(k) and 403(b) plans.
Child support received for all children [total amount
of child support you/your parents) received from
Jan. 1, 2005, to Dec. 31, 2005.]
Tax exempt interest income.
Untaxed portions of pensions (excluding "rollovers,"
which must be identified as such on the IRS return).
Military/clergy housing, food, living allowances.
Cash support or any money paid on your behalf
(include rent/mortgage, tuition, insurance paid by
someone other than the parent, if dependent).

(Questions 35/36 and 73/74)
Use a completed 2005 tax return if at all possible
when completing the financial aid application.
If your tax filing is delayed, estimate your information
to meet the "on-time" UF aid deadline. If you
estimate, be sure to update your application when
your tax filing is complete. Keep a photocopy of your
tax return. You may be asked to provide a copy.
When reporting U. S. taxes paid, do NOT report

the amount of tax "withheld" and do NOT include
self-employment taxes.
If your responsible parent is remarried (even if they
were not married in 2005), you must include your
step-parent's income and asset information.
If you/your parents are married and filed separate
income tax returns, income information from both
tax returns must be combined and reported.
If you or your parents are divorced, separated, or
widowed, DO NOT include information about your
or your parent's spouse. For further assistance, call
us at (352) 392-1275.

(Questions 43. 44. 45. 81. 82. 83)
When answering questions pertaining to parent/
student assets, you must report the net worth of
those assets as of the date you complete the FAFSA/
Renewal FAFSA. These items cannot be updated
after filing the original form. Do not include financial
aid you received.

* WORKSHEET "C" (Questions 42 and 80)
Read instructions for Worksheet "C" carefully before
transferring your responses to item numbers 42 and/or
80. Information should be reported in this item when
you/your parents have paid child support or reported as
income Federal Work-Study, scholarships, fellowships
and/or grants, Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits,
or AmeriCorps awards.

* QUESTION 31. Students must answer this
question about drug-related offenses
Do not leave this question blank. A drug-related
conviction does not necessarily mean you are
ineligible for aid. For more information about the
UF's policy on alcohol and other drug use, as well
as the federal policy on drug convictions and
financial aid eligibility, see "UF Drug-Free
Schools Policy"



What Happens if

YOU are Selected?
Each year about 30 percent of students' financial aid
applications nationwide are chosen for "verification":
a process of confirming data supplied by the
applicant and/or parents. UF also must resolve
discrepancies on students' financial aid applications.
UF participates in the Federal Quality Assurance
Program. Participation in this program allows us to
establish verification criteria for UF and determine
which student files must be verified. Because of this,
you should disregard any statement on your Federal
Student Aid Report that you are being verified. If
your application is selected for verification or
quality assurance, or if there are discrepancies on
your aid application information, you will receive
an email from us alerting you to check your
Financial Aid Status on ISIS to determine what
documents to provide. Aid funds cannot be
disbursed to you until you have submitted all
requested documents and the accuracy of your
information has been checked. Do not submit any
documents unless we request that you do so. This
process can take six weeks or longer.

* turn in all documents requested by SFA
as soon as possible.
* be sure all documents are signed.
* be sure your name and UFID and/or Social
Security number are on all documents you
* keep photocopies of all information you
submit and record the date you send in
the documents.
* keep photocopies of tax returns and W-2s.
* call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 if you need
copies of your IRS forms.

Do not
* turn in incomplete or illegible documents;
if you do, they will be returned to you with
a request for acceptable forms, causing a
delay in processing your aid.
* turn in copies of income tax forms with
information obscured by another form.
* turn in any documentation unless requested
by SFA.
* Do not panic! Just be organized.

UF Drug-Free Schools

A summary of UF policies on the use of alcohol
and other drugs is provided to you in response to
the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act
Amendments of 1989 through the Division of
Student Affairs Web site at:

The University of Florida ensures the
confidentiality of student records in accordance
with State University System rules, state
statutes, and the Family Education Rights and
Privacy Act of 1974, known as the Buckley
Amendment. Your family financial information
and the type and amount of your aid are held in
confidence, and information is released only
with your written consent.

~C~~rlF*i~u.., .f~

T;L~:* Ib*;LYu7.~y~;;..!:

office for
S-107 Criser Hall, P. O. Box 114025, Gainesville, FL 32611-4025

STUDENT FINANCIAL AFFAIRS A Division of Student Affairs Department Educating Leaders for a Global Community

Financial Aid Calendar

January 1, 2006
Apply now for aid for the 2006-07
academic year.

March 15, 2006
"On-time" UF Financial Aid Applic
Deadline. Apply by March 1, 2006,
meet this deadline. The Office for
Financial Affairs (SFA) must receive
results of your paper or electronic
with a calculated "Estimated Family
Contribution" from the federal proce:
by this date for you to be considered
time." Financial aid is awarded first-(
first-served. Late applicants are
considered for aid that remains after
time" applicants have been awardec


University of Florida
ISIS (Integrated Student Information Sy
Access your UF records online.

UF ID Numbers
Go to this Web site to get your UFID

UF Office for Student
Financial Affairs (SFA)
S-107 Criser Hall
P. O. Box 114025
Gainesville, FL 32611-4025
(352) 392-1275
(352) 392-1272 (V/TDD)

June 1, 2006
On-time deadline for revision petitions to
appeal 2006-07 aid award decisions.

October 16, 2006
Deadline to apply for fall 2006 Stafford and
PLUS Federal Direct Loans. We must
receive your FAFSA analysis and all
other documents required to complete
your financial aid file.

December 15, 2006
Deadline to complete all federal
requirements for fall 2006 Stafford and
PLUS Federal Direct Loans.

Phone Numbers
SFA Satellite Offices
stem) College of Dentistry
stem) Dental Tower
D3-#17A, Health Sciences Center
(352) 846-1384
College of Law
164 Holland Hall
(352) 273-0620
College of Medicine
M-128 Health Sciences Center
(352) 392-7800
Colleges of Public Health and Health
Professions; Nursing; Pharmacy; &
Veterinary Medicine
G208 Student Services Center
HPNP Bldg., 101 Newell Drive
(352) 273-6202
MBA Financial Aid Office
P-102-1 Peabody Hall
(352) 392-1275, ext. 3386

March 1, 2007
Deadline to apply for spring 2007 Stafford
and PLUS Federal Direct Loans. We must
receive your FAFSA analysis and all other
documents required to complete your
financial aid file.

April 16, 2007
Deadline to apply for summer 2007
Stafford and PLUS Federal Direct Loans.
We must receive your FAFSA analysis
and all other documents required to
complete your financial aid file.
May 1, 2007
Deadline to complete all federal
requirements for spring 2007 Stafford and
PLUS Federal Direct Loans.

U.S. Department of Education
Federal Student Aid (FSA) Programs
(Federal student financial aid info; request
a FAFSA; help filling out FAFSAs; questions
on your application status; duplicate SARs)
1 (800) 433-3243
1 (800) 730-8913 (TTY)
Direct Loan Servicing Center
Borrower Services
1 (800) 848-0979
Florida Department of Education
Office of Student Financial Assistance
1940 N. Monroe Street, Suite 70
Tallahassee, FL 32303-4759
(State student aid programs)
1 (888) 827-2004
(select "Financial Aid")

June 30, 2007
Pell Grant Application deadline

August 1, 2007
Deadline to complete all federal
requirements for summer 2007 Stafford
and PLUS
Direct -
Loans. -


For financial aid assistance, hearing or
speech-impaired students can call SFA's
phone line for students with disabilities:
(352) 392-1272 (V/TDD)

Students trying to
contact a UF agency
that does not list a TDD
number can call the
Florida Relay Service.

Dial 711, or
1-800-955-8771 (TDD)
1-800-955-8770 (Voice)

Our Web site at www.sfa.ufl.edu
is screen-reader friendly.

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs