- Permanent Link:
- 1950s and 1960s University of Florida miscellaneous footage (production number 45)
- Earl Jernigan
- Earl Jernigan
- Place of Publication:
- Gainesville, FL
- Earl Jernigan
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- University of Florida. ( LCSH )
Tigert, John J.
Reitz, J. Wayne
- Spatial Coverage:
- North America -- United States of America -- Florida
- This is a compilation of 16 film clips on a variety of subjects shot in the 1950s and early 1960s. The label on the original reel read "Campus Scenes 1960." The most noteworthy clips are those of the 1956 cheerleaders, the dedication of the Holbrook mural in the Smathers Library (19:10), the Kappa Alpha Plantation Ball, and a birthday party for H. Harold Hume. ( English )
- Production contents
0:00 Farm and Home Equipment Roundup. 4-H Camp Cherry Lake. B & W. Depicts farm implements, lots of kids and teenagers, piglets, and home appliances.
2:30 Football footage. Color. Mostly sideline activity. Fans, parking lot, band.
4:10 Pre-game show at Orange Bowl. Florida-Miami game. B & W. Bands and floats. Very dark. Night shot. 1950s.
6:50 Florida Field. Good color footage of fans and cheerleaders. Late 1950s. Some football action.
8:35 1955-56 cheerleaders in action. Black and white.
9:30 Century Tower drawings. Color.
11:00 Crane lifting container of radioactive material and lowering it into a well-like structure outside Weil Hall complex. At one point, someone passes a Geiger counter over it. B & W, 1950s.
14:00 Unidentified group inspecting homes and landscaping in a Gainesville community. B & W
16:00 Students working in an office. This is probably a homecoming committee. The office scene is followed by students in the stadium with a brief appearance by the majorettes practicing. (Growl?) B & W
18:45 Dedication of Holbrook mural in Smathers Library. Many faculty and students are depicted. Recognized are Hollis Holbrook and Archie Robertson. B & W
21:15 Convocation or graduation. Extremely dark and not useable. Color.
23:30 Black and white negative. Kappa Alpha Plantation Ball. Ca. 1960. Several KAs arrive at the Tri Delt house on horseback attired as Confederate officers with an invitation. The sisters emerge from the house as southern belles. This is followed by a "Parade of Southern Strength" along University Ave. Lots of Confederate flag waving. Cannon fired several times. Clip ends with a dance.
26:10 Otto the Robot. Dean Weil enters with someone that looks like Governor Leroy Collins. Collins shakes hands with Otto. B & W
26:50 Harold Hume birthday party. Takes place in Tigert Hall. Hume, presidents J. Wayne Reitz and John J. Tigert are shown. Also Edith Pitts. Many other faculty and deans. B & W.
28:35 Dean Joseph Weil talking to a group. Model of building shown followed by an Atomic Energy Tester (Geiger Counter). B & W
29:40 "Florida's Swimming Co-ed" Nancy Pelstring, an Olympic hopeful, is shown exercising and training. Color.
0-2:29 Nancy Pelstring swimming continued. Color.
2:38 Homecoming parade. Color.
2:54 Clip ends.
- General Note:
- Production #45: [Miscellaneous footage] black and white and color / no sound / Derived from 16 mm film / running time 32:20
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida Archives
- Rights Management:
- Copyright Board of Trustees of the University of Florida