Title: Peabody Hall
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080424/00001
 Material Information
Title: Peabody Hall
Physical Description: Image/Photograph
Creator: Kesse, Erich J., 1959-
Subjects / Keywords: Historic buildings
College buildings
Ephemera -- Florida   ( ltgm )
Artifacts -- Florida   ( aat )
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Alachua -- Gainesville
Coordinates: 29.6501015399138 x -82.3420102013294
General Note: The arch of Peabody Halls entrance bears the words, "George Peabody Hall for the Teachers College." Funded by the Peabody Foundation, this building opened in 1913 as the home of predecessor of the College of Education now located in the Norman Hall complex. It was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by architect William A. Edwards. In 1990 Peabody was renovated and skillfully linked to the neighboring Criser Hall designed by VOA Associates. Criser-Peabody now house the Registrar's Office and other student services. A statue of the university's second president, Albert A. Murphree, is the focal point of a courtyard framed by Smathers Library, Criser Hall, and Peabody Hall. Peabody Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989.<br><br>
Funding: Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00080424
Volume ID: VID00001
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: University of Florida building number 4

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - Version 2.9.9 - mvs