Title: Keene-Flint Hall
Full Citation
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00080378/00005
 Material Information
Title: Keene-Flint Hall
Physical Description: Image/Photograph
Creator: Kesse, Erich J., 1959-
Subjects / Keywords: Historic buildings
College buildings
Ephemera -- Florida   ( ltgm )
Artifacts -- Florida   ( aat )
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Alachua -- Gainesville
Coordinates: 29.6515922390459 x -82.3438833759729
General Note: Science Hall was completed in 1910. Originally, its first floor housed the departments of bacteriology, botany, chemistry, horticulture, physics, and zoology. On the second floor was the University Museum which, in 1914, became the Florida State Museum. The building was named for Dr. Edward R. Flint, chemistry professor and University Physician, in the 1950s. Keene-Flint Hall was designed in Collegiate Gothic style by architect William A. Edwards. It was constructed by the J. J. Cain Company of Atlanta. Many of its original interior and exterior decorative elements were removed during the course of building alerations over the years. Used for many years as a storage facility, Keene-Flint Hall commenced renovation in 1999 under the direction of Rowe Architects. The renovation was made possible by a gift in 1997 from Kenneth and Janet Keene whose support along with matching state funds also enabled the renovation of Anderson Hall. The name of Flint Hall was changed in honor of the Keenes. Keene-Flint Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. It is a part of the University of Florida Campus Historic District, a collection of buildings added to the National Register as an historic district in 1989.
Funding: Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00080378
Volume ID: VID00005
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: University of Florida building number 8

University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - Version 2.9.9 - mvs