- Permanent Link:
- Leeward Islands gazette
- Leeward Islands (West Indies)
- Place of Publication:
- Gov. Printing Office]
- Publication Date:
- Nov 1, 1950
- Physical Description:
- reels. : ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Politics and government -- Periodicals -- Leeward Islands (West Indies) ( lcsh )
- serial ( sobekcm )
periodical ( marcgt )
- Dates or Sequential Designation:
- 1- , 1872-
- General Note:
- Two pages per frame.
- General Note:
- Supplements, issued with some numbers, contain departmental reports, Meteorological registers, ordinances, statutory rules and orders, etc., of Antigua, St. Kitts and Nevis, Montserrat, and the British Virgin Islands.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions may require permission of the copyright holder. The Smathers Libraries would like to learn more about this item and invite individuals or organizations to contact Digital Services (UFDC@uflib.ufl.edu) with any additional information they can provide.
- Resource Identifier:
- 001724221 ( ALEPH )
AJD6739 ( NOTIS )
THE LEEWARD ISLANDS
4-IIULIublIisbet bp utborftp.
VOL. LXX- II. WEDNESDAY, 1ST NOVEMBER, 1950. No. 94.
ORDER OF COMPETENT AUTHORITY.
Order made by the Competent Authority for the Presidency of Antigua under Regulation 50
of the Defence Regulations, 1939, as having effect by virtue of the Supplies and Services
(Transitional Powers) Act, 1945, the Supplies and Services (Transitional Powers) (Colonies
etc.) Order in Council, 1946, (Imp.) and the Supplies and Services (Transitional Powers)
No. 40 of 1950.
DEFENCE REGULATIONS, 1939.
1. Short Title. This Order may be cited as the Milk Production Order, 1950.
2. Interpretation. In this Order unless the context otherwise requires--
dairy herd means all bulls, calves, steers and cows kept on the farm attached to a licensed dairy.
"Inspector" means any person appointed by the Competent Authority as an Inspector for the purposes
of this Order.
"milk producer means the person in whose name a licence is issued in respect of a dairy under this
3. Licensing of Dairies. (1) It shall be lawful for the Inspector to issue to any milk producer
who in the opinion of the Inspector can reasonably be expected to comply with the provisions of this Order
a licence in duplicate in the form contained in the Schedule to this Order in respect of any dairy operated by him
where milk is produced for sale from cows kept and milked on the farm attached to such dairy.
(2) All milk produced from such cows shall be classified as Grade A milk.
4. Publication of Licences. (1) The name of every milk producer to whom a licence is granted
under this Order and the dairy in respect of which such licence is granted shall immediately after the granting of
such licence and thereafter annually in the month of January be published in the Gazette.
(2) One copy of the licence granted to the milk producer shall be exhibited in a prominent place in the
milk room on the licensed dairy.
5. Buildings. (1) Every licensed dairy shall be provided with--
(a) a milking shed of a design to be approved by the Inspector as regards (i) roofing (ii) flooring
(iii) drainage and (iv) water supply, and
(b) a suitable fly-proof milk room for placing the milk in containers, the washing of utensils and olher-
wise for the handling of the milk produced at such dairy.
6. Milking of Cows. The cows on a licensed dairy shall be milked according to accepted standards of
hygiene to the satisfaction of the Inspector.
7. Containers. The containers of milk used on a licensed dairy shall be of a type approved by the
8. Animal Health. (1) The dairy herd shall be subjected to tuberculin tests by the Inspector at inter-
vals of not less than two months and not more than six months, and shall be certified by the Inspector as being free
from bovine tuberculosis.
(2) The dairy herd shall be subjected to a general veterinary examination by the Inspector twice annually
at times to be arranged by the Inspector.
(3) The milk producer, his agents and employees shall give all necessary assistance to enable the Inspector
to carry out the tuberculin tests and general veterinary examination.
9. Removal and destruction of diseased cattle. (1) Any cattle on a licensed dairy certified by
the Inspector as showing a positive reaction to a tuberculin test shall forthwith be removed and slaughtered at the
Public Market in St. John's under inspection as provided for under By Law 12 of the St. John's City By-Laws.
(2) Any cattle on a licensed dairy certified by the Inspector as suffering from any diseased condition other
than bovine tuberculosis which is liable to affect or contaminate the milk shall be removed and isolated from the
rest of the dairy herd and shall undergo such treatment as shall be ordered by the Inspector, or slaughtered in
acordance with the directions of the Inspector.
10. Inspection of dairy herd and dairy premises. The Inspector may at all reasonable times and
without notice inspect or examine the dairy herd and the dairy buildings and premises; and the milk producer, his
agents and employees shall render the Inspector all assistance required in that behalf.
11. Milkers. Every milker of cows on a licensed dairy or minders of the dairy herd shall be examined
by a medical practitioner (at the expense of the milk producer) once in every quarter and shall obtain a medical certi-
ficate that he is free from any form of cutaneous infections or contagious disease, and is oth rwise physically fit for
12. Fees. (1) The following fees shall be paid by the milk producer in respect of services rendered on a
licensed dairy by the Inspector:--
(a) for a dairy licence ...
(b) for each tuberculin test--
(i) in respect of the first 10 cattle ...
(ii) in respect of each cattle above 10
(c) for general veterinary examination
96c. per animal
48c. ,, ,,
$1.00 per animal
(2) All sach fees shall be paid by the Inspector into the Public Treasury of the Presidency.
13. Liability in offences. If there shall be any contravention of the provisions of this Order, every
person who is a party to such contravention shall be guilty of an offence under this Order.
14. Enforcement. The provisions of Part VIII of the Defence Regulations, 1939, shall apply for the
purpose of the enforcement of the provisions of this Ordr.
Defence Regulations. 1939-
LICENCE ISSUED UNDER THE MILK PRODUCTION ORDER, 1950.
Licence is hereby granted to
in respect of the dairy situated at
in the Presidency of Antigua, known as
ii) the Parish of
and operated by the said milk producer.
Dated the 1st day of November, 1950.
R. ST. J. 0. WAYNE,
Printed at the Gdverrinent Ptihtiig dffico, LeewAtd Islhias, bk E. M1. BLAcKMAN,
Acting Ooveimnent Printer-By Authority.