- Permanent Link:
- The Daytona daily news
- Place of Publication:
- Daytona Fla
- Geo. F. Crouch
- Creation Date:
- March 1, 1905
- Daily (except Saturday)[<1924>]
Daily (except Sunday)[ FORMER <1905-1917>]
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Newspapers -- Daytona Beach (Fla.) ( lcsh )
Newspapers -- Volusia County (Fla.) ( lcsh )
- newspaper ( marcgt )
newspaper ( sobekcm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- United States -- Florida -- Volusia -- Daytona Beach
- 29.207222 x -81.037778
- The early years of the Daytona Daily News covered aspects of the Florida Land Boom of the 1920s. Tourism received heavy coverage. The St. Johns & Halifax River Railway, later renamed the Florida East Coast Railway, arrived in Daytona in 1886, a decade after the city had been incorporated. With the railway's arrival, Daytona's proximity to the ocean made it a tourist destination. The public read about the Daytona Speedway attracting fans, heard rousing stories of moonshining, and received coverage of seaside activities in the Sunshine State. During this time, particularly in this place, America started going into water and not just walking along the shore. The Daytona Daily News began publishing in 1903. In 1927, following the 1926 merger of the Florida cities of Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Seabreeze into the new city of Daytona Beach, the newspaper changed its name to the Daytona Beach News. But the new name was short-lived. Later in 1927, the newspaper merged with the Daytona Beach Journal . In 1936, the new newspaper split into the Daytona Beach Evening News and the Daytona Beach Morning Journal. The newspaper, then under the title of the Daytona Beach News-Journal was acquired by the Davidson family in 1928. Herbert M. Davidson edited the newspaper from 1928 to his death in 1985, a longer than usual tenure, even for a family-owned newspaper. His father, Julius Davidson, the first president and general manager of the paper, enjoyed a reputation for outstanding community service and civic involvement.
- Cf. Gregory, W. Amer. newspapers, 1937.:
- Began in 1903; ceased in 1926.
- General Note:
- "Published ... during December, January, February and March at the prettiest winter resort in Florida."
- General Note:
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 1 (Jan. 2, 1905).
- Funded by NEH in support of the National Digital Newspaper Project (NDNP), NEH Award Number: PJ-50006-05
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions may require permission of the copyright holder. The Smathers Libraries would like to learn more about this item and invite individuals or organizations to contact Digital Services (UFDC@uflib.ufl.edu) with any additional information they can provide.
- Resource Identifier:
- 002072230 ( ALEPH )
01631353 ( OCLC )
AKR0538 ( NOTIS )
sn 93063916 ( LCCN )
This item has the following downloads:
"" tr. f ;m )"\Wi_ 1 .':I' -" "
..... $ \<.I" -
: SfetiT' ?*.:=; # -
:[ See WILKINSON the;; Real Estate Man. | 1,1 j
THE DAYTONA DAILY NEWS. 1:1:
.. n.. ,_ __ -. I
\' 01. I II 1 I. No 51 '10.. Ltrry.h
xml record header identifier oai:www.uflib.ufl.edu.ufdc:UF0007589400051datestamp 2008-10-29setSpec [UFDC_OAI_SET]metadata oai_dc:dc xmlns:oai_dc http:www.openarchives.orgOAI2.0oai_dc xmlns:dc http:purl.orgdcelements1.1 xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.openarchives.orgOAI2.0oai_dc.xsd dc:title Daytona Daily Newsdc:subject Newspapers -- Floridadc:description Funded by NEH in support of the National Digital Newspaper Project (NDNP), NEH Award Number: PJ-50006-05Funded in part by the University of Florida, the Library Services and Technology Assistance granting program of Florida, the State Library and Archives of Florida, and other institutions and individuals.dc:publisher Geo. F. Crouchdc:date March 1, 1905dc:type Newspaperdc:identifier http://www.uflib.ufl.edu/ufdc/?b=UF00075894&v=000511631353 (OCLC)2072230 (ALEPH)sn 93063916 (LCCN)dc:source University of Floridadc:language Englishdc:coverage North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Volusia -- DaytonaNorth America -- United States of America -- Floridadc:rights All rights reserved. Board of Trustees of the University of Florida