- Permanent Link:
- Memorandum re creating a separate Ridge Area Basin
- Alternate Title:
- Memorandum re creating a separate Ridge Area Basin, suggesting delay to changes in the basin until the Legislature meets, with enclosure of article in Lakeland Ledger: "Citrus Mutual Changes Gears on Ridge,"
- Publication Date:
- Dec. 28, 1977
- Physical Description:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Legislature ( jstor )
- Spatial Coverage:
- North America -- United States of America -- Florida
- General Note:
- Box 2, Folder 2 ( RIDGE BASIN - Box 2, Folder No. 2 ), Item 37
- Digitized by the Legal Technology Institute in the Levin College of Law at the University of Florida.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Holding Location:
- Levin College of Law, University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
December 28, 1977
TO: DONALD R. FEASTER, Executive Director
FROM: E. D. VERGARA, Director, Dept. Interagency Coordination
RE: Ridge Area as a Separate Basin
The attached news article prompted me to call Dr. J. T. Griffiths to see if
it was true hat Lr a Citrus Mutual has decided to delay its request for
a separattidge asiw i thin Southwest. During the conversation
Dr. Griffiths in a'ed essentially the following:
1. The more he looks into it he is convinced, both hydrologically and
politically, that the Ridge area should be a separate basin.
2. However, he feels that even if a Ridge Basin were to be established
at this time, it will not be functional until next year.
3. It appears that South Florida WMD is not going to object to a change
in our mutual boundaries. Griffiths indicated this is the indication he's
getting from Maloy and all members of the SFWMD Board except one, a
Mr. Scarborough, who happens to be from Highlands County. If he can
convince Mr. Scarborough that the boundaries between the two Districts
should be adjusted, he feels chances of getting it through the Legislature
4. He wants to wait and not push the Basin question until March, April or
perhaps "indefinitely," and at least until he has a better reading as to
how the Legislature will accept the proposal.
5. He will be sending a letter to you asking us to delay and he intends
to talk personally with Mr. McAteer on the matter. He will be in contact
with me in mid to late January regarding a meeting to discuss the whole issue.
6. He feels confident the district boundaries will be changed by the legislature.
cc: D. S. McAteer
L. M. Blain
i ,. ^ .
*j ----- '. t, "" :. "!" j : ~- ^ "-' ; 'D / -
iIM f -
*'" 'L m ll
_. ow c c -
.ijf Iii 3;
_..W 2 '..WNW.
IIs ii4L S
t-^'i ^~ -:,1:QS C