- Permanent Link:
- Bradford County telegraph
- Place of Publication:
- Starke, FL
- John M. Miller
- Creation Date:
- September 17, 2009
- Publication Date:
- Copyright Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Newspapers -- Starke (Fla.) ( lcsh )
Newspapers -- Bradford County (Fla.) ( lcsh )
- newspaper ( sobekcm )
newspaper ( marcgt )
- Spatial Coverage:
- United States -- Florida -- Bradford -- Starke
- The first issue of this ongoing weekly was issued July 26, 1879 under the title Florida Telegraph LCCN: sn95047402, published by William Wyatt Moore, a native Floridian, a staunch Democrat and an experienced newspaperman. He had previously worked for a newspaper in Tallahassee (FL) and had published newspapers in the Florida cities of Jacksonville, Lake City, Cedar Key and Pensacola. After publishing for a short time as the Weekly Florida Telegraph LCCN: sn95047403 and reversion back to the Florida Telegraph LCCN: sn95047404, the name was changed to the Starke (FL) Telegraph LCCN: sn95047405. In 1887, Sterling Moore sold a half-interest in the newspaper to I.C. Webb, who became sole owner within a few months and changed the name to the Bradford County (FL) Telegraph LCCN: sn95047406 in 1888. In 1893, Eugene S. Matthews, who had previously worked for newspapers in the Florida cities of Gainesville and Ocala, purchased the Bradford County Telegraph with Ben J. Farmer, who then sold his interest to Matthews in 1898. Eugene S. Matthews published the Bradford County Telegraph for forty years. During this time, he was also elected to the state legislature in 1904, 1907, 1911 and 1923. His son, Eugene L. Matthews, a graduate of Columbia University's School of Journalism, took over the publication in 1933, matching his father's record of forty years as publisher. On his retirement in 1973, he sold the paper to his sons-in-law, Bobby Ferguson and John Miller. The Bradford County Telegraph continues to be published ca. 2007 by John Miller, who also publishes the Lake Region Monitor LCCN: not known to exist and the Union County (FL) Times LCCN: sn95047168. Mark Crawford is the editor. Source: Bradford County Telegraph, July 26, 1979, centennial issue. The Lake Region Monitor is not known to exist and has not been described by any other source.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- The first issue of this ongoing weekly appeared on July 26, 1879 under the title Florida Telegraph. It was published by William Wyatt Moore, a native Floridian and a staunch Democrat. Moore had previously worked for a paper in Tallahassee and had also published newspapers in Jacksonville, Lake City, Cedar Key, and Pensacola.
After appearing for a short time as the Weekly Florida Telegraph and reverting back to the Florida Telegraph, the paperâ€™s name was changed to the Starke Telegraph. In 1887, Moore sold a half-interest in the newspaper to I.C. Webb, who became sole owner within a few months and changed its name to the Bradford County Telegraph. In 1893, Eugene S. Matthews, who had previously worked for newspapers in Gainesville and Ocala, purchased the Bradford County Telegraph with Ben J. Farmer, who sold his interest to Matthews five years later.
Matthews published the Bradford County Telegraph for the next forty years. He was also elected to the state legislature in 1904, 1907, 1911 and 1923. His son, Eugene L. Matthews, a graduate of Columbia Universityâ€™s School of Journalism, took over the publication in 1933, matching his fatherâ€™s record of forty years as publisher. The Bradford County Telegraph continues to the present.
- Additional Physical Form:
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Additional Physical Form:
- Also available on microfilm from the University of Florida.
- Dates or Sequential Designation:
- Vol. 9, no. 41 (Apr. 13, 1888)-
- General Note:
- Publishers: Mathews & Farmer, <1893-1897>; E.S. Mathews, <1900-1926>.
- Rights Management:
- Copyright Bradford County Telegraph. Permission granted to University of Florida to digitize and display this item for non-profit research and educational purposes. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
- Resource Identifier:
- 33886096 ( OCLC )
sn 95047406 ( LCCN )
1943-8818 ( ISSN )
- Newspaper ( lcc )
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID ESI71WDET_UP2ZMV INGEST_TIME 2016-07-15T20:40:55Z PACKAGE UF00027795_04972
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC