Interview with Mrs. C. Addison Pound (Annie) February 15 1982

Material Information

Interview with Mrs. C. Addison Pound (Annie) February 15 1982
Ring, Emily ( Interviewer )
Mrs. Pound, C. Addison (Annie) ( Interviewer )
Pound, C. Addison Jr. ( Editor )
Place of Publication:
Gainesville, Fla.
University of Florida
Publication Date:


Subjects / Keywords:
Alachua County General Oral History Collection ( local )

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Holding Location:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
Made available under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial 4.0 International license:


This item has the following downloads:

Full Text


This Oral History is copyrighted by the Interviewee
and the Samuel Proctor Oral History Program on
behalf of the Board of Trustees of the University of

Copyright, 2005, University of Florida.
All rights, reserved.

This oral history may be used for research,
instruction, and private study under the provisions
of Fair Use. Fair Use is a provision of United States
Copyright Law (United States Code, Title 17, section
107) which allows limited use of copyrighted
materials under certain conditions.
Fair use limts the amount of material that may be

For all other permissions and requests, contact the
the University of Florida

Oral History Project

University of Florida

Interviewee: Mrs. C. Addison Pound (Annie)

Interviewer: Emily Ring

Date: February 15, 1982*

*Edited by C. Addison Pound, Jr. April 1995

R: My name is Emily Ring and today is February 15, 1982. I am sitting in the apartment of
Mrs. C. Addison Pound in Gaineswood Condominiums, 1719 Northwest Twenty-third
Boulevard, Gainesville, Florida.

Mrs. Pound, when were you born and where were you born?

P: I was born at Rocky Point.

R: How far from Gainesville?

P: About five mile out on the prairie.

R: Did your house overlook the prairie?

P: No. We were back on what they call Rocky Point Road. My father had an orange grove
down on the prairie. He had another one up near our house.

R: What was your father's name?

P: Olin P. Cannon. His brother was Ned Cannon -- Finley's father.

R: Finley's father.

P: They came down to Florida in about 1882. They were just grown after the civil war and
there was so little to do at their home in Delaware. A cousin, Renlan Rawlings, came
down here for his health. This was quite a health center.

R: Oh, it was?

P: At one time good for tuberculosis. He was so enthralled with the place, he sent back to
Delaware and got about ten of the young men to come down here.

R: What did they do?

P: Mostly orange grove business.

R: Were you a member of a large family? Brothers and sisters in your family?

P: There were five of us.

R: Five of you.

P: Five children. I was second. My brother Harry, me, then L.K. Linden, I called him -
my sister Mary, (who later married and lived in Atlanta), and Olin, the youngest son.

R: Are any of them still living?

P: No. They've been gone a long time.

R: What year were you born?

P: In 1889. That makes me ninety-two now, ninety-three in May.


R: What day in May is your birthday?

P: May 15th.

R: May is a good month to be born in. I was born in May.

P: Oh, you were?

R: Yes.

P: Well, my father used to raise horses, and he said I was a "May colt".

R: That's what they used to call you, a "May colt"?

P: May colts used to like water, and they would lie down in water. I had a funny experience
when I was a young lady here at the school. We used to go riding on moonlight nights.
You'd get couples and go riding. This night four of us went over Hogtown Creek on the
bridge, but we thought the horses were so hot we came through the water coming back. We
girls all rode sidesaddle then. All of a sudden when I got in the water, it was quite deep,
down my horse went on his knees and turned over to the left. My knee caught under the
saddle pommel. I scrambled out and the horse got up. Dave, my date, was so excited he
didn't know what to do. He got off his horse and said, "What can I do? What can I do?" I
said, "Get my horse, he's leaving!"

R: Luckily you were not hurt.

P: That was when I was about seventeen or eighteen.

R: Where did you go to school?

P: There were so few people in the neighborhood that my father organized a little school There
was a house empty over there. About a dozen children went to that school for about three
years, I think.

R: He hired a teacher?

P: Yes, and she stayed at our house. I'll never forget her name Estelle Walter. When they
had a good many more children, they built another little schoolhouse. Then, they put me at
Miss Maggie Tebeau's. Miss Maggie had a private girls' school here in Gainesville.

R: How old were you when you went to school?

P: I was eleven years old when I went to Miss Maggie's. I stayed there until I went to
the East Florida Seminary. They took people very young then. I was only about fifteen, I
think. They had a sub-fresh-class. I know I started algebra there.

R: Can you describe Miss Maggie Tebeau's school for us? It was a beautiful old home, wasn't

P: It's hard to describe. It was a beautiful old home. Her aunt had married Mrs.Frasier
Thomas. Her aunt had a small school here at the time and she died. Mr. Thomas was left
a widower with two children. He married. I can't think of her name. She moved in there
and sent for Miss Maggie. I don't think Miss Maggie was her niece. Miss Maggie was

related to her, in Virginia, and she came down to help. I don't think Mrs. Thomas lived too
long. Of course, when I went there, there wasn't anybody but Miss Maggie and Miss Alice.
Miss Alice was Mr. Thomas' sister.

R: They inherited the house?

P: The house was just south of the Arlington Hotel and west of Main Street, on the corner.

R: It's now a parking lot.

P: It was a whole block.

R: Now it's been turned into a parking lot.

P: It's very sad. Miss Maggie wanted to leave it to the town for a park.

R: Leave it with a life estate so she could live in it the rest ofheri life. Was that it?

P: I can't think what it was, but I remember her saying to Miss Alice, "Now if anything goes
wrong with this will, it's your fault." But Miss Alice stayed on, and she taught school there
by herself. The school got very much smaller because the public schools were getting better.
She stayed there until she quit teaching. Then the city put a $12,000 tax on her and she
couldn't pay it. She went to the church and to the lawyer, Mr. Layton. He said, "Give a life
interest to the church, and they'll take that tax off." So they did. When they stopped
teaching there I don't remember. The church wanted to hold on to it. They put in a
kindergarten. They did a lot of things trying to hold on to it. But the will said that when it
was given up as an Episcopal school, it was to go to the city. The city wasn't very interested,
but the garden club was. Mrs. Tigert and I both went to Bishop Juhan and asked him if he
wouldn't intercede and have the church turn their part over to the city. He said he'd have to
leave it in the hands of the lawyer. So we came back and Mr. Layton just said, "I think we
ought to divide it. The church have half of it, and the city have half."

R: A compromise.

P: Henry Gray agreed. He said the city ought to get part of it. They appraised it at $60,000.
The city got $30,000 and the church got $30,000. They made it into a parking lot. It (Miss
Maggie's house) was the finest thing in Gainesville, that and the courthouse.

R: It had beautiful camelia and azalea bushes...

P: They had camelia bushes that went to the top of the house. Gorgeous crape myrtles. There
were all kinds. She tried to collect all kinds of trees and native flowers.

R: It should have been preserved as a horticultural garden.

P: It should have been preserved. Women didn't get out and march and demand things like
they do now. We just gave up.

R: The engineers and the city commissioners did what they pleased in those days. Too bad.
Can you go back and tell us about how the school was?

P: It was a wonderful school She knew how to teach reading, writing, and arithmetic.

Everywhere her pupils went they said those things they knew how to do mathematics,
reading, and writing.

R: I guess on Sundays you had to go down to Holy Trinity Church.

P: We had to march down there on Sunday. If you'll wait a minute, I'll go get the pictures.

R: Do you have pictures of the school?

P: I just have some small ones.

She did so much more for you than just teaching. I was a very frail child. She always saw
that after lunch I would lie down on the floor on my back. I was inclined to be stooped. She
made me wear braces, and she made me walk with books on my head. Then she had me sit
I've got the chair in here the little cane-bottomed chair with a cushion on it.

R: My goodness.

P: I was hurt very badly when I was six years old. I had an awful accident on our farm and
I'd broken my leg. The leg knit like that. I have one leg that's shorter than the other.

R: Did you wear a uniform?

P: Yes, we wore uniforms. They were little blouses and white-pleated skirts.

R: It says here, "dark blue coat suit, white linen waist (in winter), wool or silk waist, black
kid gloves, umbrella and dark sweater." I suppose you had to come to school equipped with
all that.

P: And you had to march to church on Sunday.

R: "In summer, white linen suits, very plain, white gloves, white belts, stiff collars, and
cuffs, the Oxford cap." I think the tuition was $200.

P: I've forgotten.

R: Two hundred dollars for the Florida student. I presume that covered the whole year because
it says, "1912-13: board, fuel, light, and tuition in English to pupils from Florida: $200. To
pupils from other diocese: $225. Music on the piano: $40. Latin and modern languages:
each $20. Laundry: $3-per month minimum. Resident students are received only for the
entire school year as the number is limited to twenty." Do you remember who some of your
classmates were? Some of the girls who went to school with you?

P: There's Belle Sadler. When I came in, I guess I was a very scared little girl. Miss Maggie
took me over to Belle and said, "Now, Belle, this is Annie Cannon and she's going to school
here. She can sit by you. Now you show her everything." So we sat and visited back and
forth. She married and went to Clearwater. She visited me or I visited her once or twice a
year until she couldn't. She had emphysema and couldn't leave home. But she lived to be
ninety. She hasn't been gone very long.

R: My goodness.

P: Then I remember Miss Alice's niece. She was matron at the East Florida Seminary.

There was a barracks there where the boys stayed. She later married Mr. Saunders, but her
name was Thomas then. Miss Alice didn't like for her niece to be there with the boys, so
she always stayed at the Tebeau school.

R: Did the two sisters share teaching? Miss Maggie taught certain classes and Miss Alice
taught certain classes, is that it?

P: Yes, she taught. Miss Alice ran the house and taught mathematics. Miss Maggie taught
everything else.

R: I guess the food was very good. Was the food good? Were the meals good?

P: I guess they were nourishing. I guess they were what we ought to have, but they weren't
anything special.

R: I notice, when you go to Holy Trinity church, that all of the pews on the right-hand side of
the aisle have end posts carved. The end posts are carved with the words "Diocesan
School," so I presume that these were the seats where the Tebeau students sat.

P: That's where we sat. The brass lectern, that eagle, she gave that when they built that

R: Miss Maggie gave that?

P: Miss Maggie gave that.

R: I believe the church was built around 1904.

P: I don't remember.

R: Did the church at that time have that beautiful, carved altar piece in back of the altar?

P: I can't remember, because I left there when I was fifteen. But my sister went there from the
time she was a little girl till she graduated. Then she taught there two years. I left early to
go the East Florida Seminary. Four of us girls had rooms at Miss Nettie Denby's, the
music teacher.

R: Where was her house?

P: There were four houses on the block where the Thomas Center is now. One was Miss Nettie
Denby's, and one of them was, I think, the Colson house. Mr. Chase bought that property
and moved the houses together around the court. That was the beginning of the Thomas

R: That inside court came to be the solarium.

P: The court didn't have a floor in it then. It was just planted. Mr. Chase had the phosphate
company here and later sold it to the Long Tower Phosphate Company.

R: After you left the East Florida Seminary, I believe you went to Wesleyan College, Macon,

P: Yes. The first year, when I was staying at Miss Nettie's, I went to the high school.

R: That's where you started seeing Addison, at the high school?

P: I started seeing him there. We got to know each other pretty well in high school.

R: Had he grown up here in Gainesville?

P: Yes. We were both born here.

R: Was his father a businessman?

P: His father owned a big livery stable.

R: Was his name also Addison? Was his father's name Addison Pound?

P: No. His father's name was Eugene Cicero.

R: Eugene Cicero?

P: Eugene Cicero Pound. He named Addison for Mr. Carlisle who was a judge.

R: I don't remember him.

P: Judge Carlisle's name was Julian Addison. Mr. Pound died when Addison was five years
old. They were Baptists. He had never been christened, and his father's sister said to
Mother Pound, "You've got to name Addison for his father. You can't have a child not
named for his father." So they changed his name to Cicero Addison.

R: You mean the "C" in his name stands for Cicero? I never knew that.

P: The name is Cicero. My sister's name was Mary Amanda. She always called him
Cicero, and he called her Mandy.

R: Your husband's mother what was her family name?

P: Tison. Dr. Tison's sister.

P: Dr. Gordon Tison was her brother?

P: Yes, there was a big family of Tisons.

R: I knew Dr. Gordon Tison quite well. He was a neighbor of mine. He used to raise
partridges in his yard in a great big cage, and then he would let them loose in the woods
because he liked to go partridge hunting. He was a prominent dentist.

P: I don't think there ever has been a dentist any better than Gordon Tison.

R: Right

P: He did a fine piece of work for me, I'll tell you. When I went to Atlanta, he had me show it
to a man there. This man said, "I've never seen such a beautiful piece of work."

R: It was lucky for Gainesville to have such a good dentist.

P: Not many people could make a bridge of that span.

R: He also had a great community spirit. Didn't he give the land for the golf and country

P: No, he didn't give it.

R: He didn't give that land?

P: He didn't own that land, but he worked awfully hard building up the golf course.

R: Was that it?

P: Yes. When he wasn't in the office, he was out there on the course.

R: I had him connected with the golf course.

P: The old country club used to be out at Newnan's Lake. They moved that house and put it on
the golf club property which is now the University Golf Course. Later, they built a new
building. Dr. Tison was one of the leaders.

R: Who were some of the other leading families here in Gainesville, when you were growing
up. There were the Laytons and the Grahams, right? I mean the people that lived over in
the old part of Gainesville, the part that we called Highland.

P: Some of them were Northerners.

R: What about the Murphrees, where they Northerners?

P: No, the Murphrees were very southern. They came down from Tallahassee. She was
Jenny Henderson.

R: Dr. Murphree was the fist president of the University?

P: No, Dr. Sledd.

R: Dr. Sledd was the first president.

P: I don't know just why.

R: How did they happen to build the university in Gainesville instead of Lake City?

P: You know about the Buckman Bill which provided for two colleges instead of about
five scattered around. Most were military schools. Buckman introduced the bill. Lake
City had an agricultural college. We tried to get it, and Lake City tried to get it. Lake City
was very sure they should have it because they already had buildings. We had a lot of
influential men here. Major Thomas was really the leader. He said, "We'll give the
land." The business men got together and paid for it. Then they said they'd give the water.

R: That did it.

P: ...that tipped the balance.

R: They didn't realize how much water the university was going to use in years to come.

P: They've been fighting ever since to change that.

R: Why did you leave Wesleyan College in Macon? Is that because you got married to Mr.
Pound? Why did you leave college in Macon?

P: No. We weren't engaged or anything. He went one year to the University. The year I went
to Wesleyan, he and Pat Graham went up to Bowling Green, Kentucky to a business
college. Dr. Guillams had been president of the East Florida Seminary. He went up there
and opened a business school. Addison was no student. He just wasn't. He always wanted
to get into business. So Mother Pound said, "Well, Addison, go to business school." I
stayed in Macon just a year. I came home because my brother ywas very ill and never
went back. I guess one reason I didn't go back was money. Not enough to send me.
Everything was spent on Harry.

R: Your family was still living at Rocky Point?

P: Yes, my father was still there. In '96 he went into the dairy business and later went into
produce after they put in that railway, the T & J...

R: Tampa and Jacksonville.

P: ...through that section.

R: That was very important.

P: All the people out there that had groves went into the produce business.

R: At that time, did Paynes Prairie have a lake on it? Was the prairie covered with water in
those days?

P: I can remember when the prairie was full of water. When we had the oranges they had a
little steamboat that would come by and pick up the oranges. There was a station where
there were sinks at the end of the prairie.

R: They used to have a station there. The railway stopped there to pick up the fruit. After the
freeze and the prairie went dry, they put the railway in. The Tampa and Jacksonville
railway was later bought by the Seaboard.

P: I don't know how long the railway stayed there It changed is name several times. They
first called it T & J. Then it went to G & G. We used to call it "grits and gravy." It was
Gainesville and Gulf. It met the Southern Railway I know when I went to Wesleyan I
had to catch the Southern to get to Macon.

R: Was your husband's father, Mr. Cicero Pound, director of that railway? I know your
husband was a director. Was his father a director?

P: No, you see his father died when Addison was five years old.

R: That's right. His father died very young.

P: I don't remember Mr. Pound at all.

R: Did Mr. Pound have brothers and sisters?

P: He had one sister, Mila, here. He had brothers in Georgia. But Mother Pound never kept
up with them after he died. She never kept up with the Pounds in Georgia except for one, a
Mr. Brad Pound who had a daughter, Mary Lee. She was a beautiful girl. She used to visit
here. They lived in Cordele, Georgia. Aunt Mila married Mr. Cone, who was Fred Cone's
grandfather, or great-grandfather.

R: Fred Cone of the lumber company?

P: No, the laundry.

R: So all of these families seem to have been in related businesses. Some in lumber and some
in citrus.
Do you remember the Stringfellows?

P: Very well.

R: Were they here when you were growing up?

P: Yes. I remember all the older Stringfellows. There was Mr. Doban Stringfellow. There
was Clarence Stringfellow and Robert Stringfellow.

R: They formed a building supply company. That building supply company that the
Stringfellows had, was it in competition with Baird Hardware?

P: No. Baird's started much earlier than that.

R: Tell us about Baird Hardware because your husband became president of Baird Hardware.

P: Mr. Baird made his money in timber. In the woods. He had a sawmill. He had a great
deal of wooded property. He made quite a lot of money in timber. Then he came to town to
invest it. I guess he got tired living in the country, and his wife wanted to come to town. He
bought half of Mr. Swearingen's small hardware store, not on the corner, but down midway
the block. Later, Swearingen sold out to Mr. Baird, so it became Baird Hardware.

R: We are speaking of the east side of the courthouse square.

P: That was on the east side of the square.

R: Baird Hardware finally ended up on the corner of east University and Main Street, now
Northeast First Street. Then it was called East Main. Tell us about the two Main Streets.
Why were there two Main Streets, one on each side of the square? That was very

P: I don't know just why they had East and West; University Avenue used to be Liberty Street.

R: One was on the east side of the courthouse square and the other on the west side. Which side
had the railroad running down it?

P: Main Street. We didn't call it West Main, we just called that Main Street. Then the other
short street was East Main.

R: But the Tebeau school was on the one you called Main Street.

P: It was on Main Street.

R: The train used to stop...

P: It used to stop for the people who wanted to see the blossoms. When the azaleas were in
bloom, they used to slow the train down so they could see what this part of Florida looked

R: Then the White House Hotel...

P: They used to stop there for lunch.

R: That was north Main, right?

P: Yes. They would always stop in Gainesville. They couldn't go through town any faster
than a man could walk, so a man always walked ahead of the train after it hit the edge of

R: The flag man?

P: The one who sold tickets.

R: The conductor. He got out and walked?

P: Walked ahead of the train.

R: That train came from Tampa and was going to Jacksonville, right?

P: No. That was not the T & J. That was Plant System then. Plant came in here and wanted
to buy some property. There was a Morgan line from over there on the Mississippi River.
What is the name of the city?

R: Vicksburg? Memphis?

P: Base of the Mississippi.

R: New Orleans.

P: From New Orleans to Cedar Key there was a line called the Morgan line and a man
named Yulee had started to build a railway from Fernandina, FS&P or FC&P,
Fernandina, something and Pacific. Plant said, "If you won't, I'll go to Tampa." So he
just proceeded to take his system to Tampa. That's when Cedar Key died, because Yulee
then could never get anybody interested in his line. Plant's system went to Tampa and the
Morgan line changed to Tampa.

R: Tell us how Mr. Pound got to be president of the Baird Hardware Company.

P: Mr. Baird was president for quite a while. Mr. W.B. Taylor was manager for many years
and Glover Taylor, who was about Addison's age. He moved to Jacksonville later.

Mr. W.B. Taylor was a very smart man. He began building the business. Sam Mixon

also worked there, and Turner Pound, my husband's brother, he was a good businessman.
He and Mr. Taylor were there when Addison started after he got back from business
school. Mother Pound went to Mr. Baird and said that she'd like for Addison to work under
his brother, Turner. He said, "Well, there's no place here. This place isn't big enough. We
don't need anybody else," She said, "Well, I'll tell you. I don't want him roaming around
without a job, so if you'll take him on now, don't tell him but I'll pay for it. I'll pay five
dollars a week for him. You just tell him he's not worth any more than five dollars a

R: That was a very smart thing for her to do.

P: That's true. So that's the way he started working there. It wasn't long before Mr. Taylor
had a nervous breakdown, and shot himself.

R: My goodness.

P: He was a wonderful man.

R: How sad.

P: But he and a partner had settled an estate for a bank that went into bankruptcy. He kept
saying, "You know, I don't know whether I did right or not." His partner said, "we did the
best we could. What else could we do?" Mr. Taylor kept on and all of a sudden he just

R: Too bad.

P: That pushed Turner, Addison's brother up. He got Mr. Taylor's job. So then he
made a place for Addison. About that time, they decided they'd put a man on the road, so
Addison was on the road driving horse and buggy to all these places: Dunnellon and High
Springs and Alachua. They'd go about to all these little places and sell hardware. Then he
persuaded them to get an automobile. He said he'd keep it up. They said, "Well, you
haven't got any roads to ride on." He said, "Well, they're good enough. I can manage."
He persuaded them to get a car.

R: Let's go back just a minute to the time when you married Mr. Pound. How old were you
when you married Mr. Pound?

P: I was twenty-two. He was six months younger than I. I was twenty-two in May, but he
never would let me tell it. He was a little bit ashamed of being younger than I. His
birthday was the 8th of December. Mine was the 15th of May.

R: The same year, 1889. So you had been married some time when he got to be president of the

P: Yes. We lived on very little. We lived with his mother. She was a widow and living over
there by herself.

R: Where was the house?

P: It was the ugliest house in town. It used to be on Union street, that goes by Sara Matheson's,
and old Roper Avenue.

R: Which is now Seventh Street...

P: Mr. Pound, Addison's father, was an investor in anything he thought was a bargain. This
was after the freeze and this house had been built for sort of a cheap boarding house. It had a
lot of rooms: six rooms upstairs, and six or eight downstairs.

R: So the house is still there.

P: Still there. It had a gallery upstairs and down. The people that have it, they closed in all
these porches and made other rooms. But I think it's divided up into little apartments.

R: The street that was called Roper Avenue is now Seventh Street, so it would be on the corner
of Seventh Street and Southeast First Avenue.

P: We lived with Mrs. Pound for ten years, because she was there by herself and Addison was

R: Was your son born during these ten years?

P: He was born right where his father was born.

R: What year was that?

P: We were married in 1911. He was born in 1915.

R: He is your only child?

P: Yes, he and his wife had just one girl.

R: Elizabeth Anne.

P: Yes, we call her Betty.

R: Now she is Mrs. Alvin Alsobrook

P: She's got two boys.

R: She is Mrs. Alvin Alsobrook, and she has two boys, John and Cannon. I know them
because they go to my church, Holy Trinity. I seem them at church.

P: Al is a nice man. We're very fond of him.
R: Concerning Baird Hardware, didn't Cecil Gracy come in about that time.

P: I think he was still a young fellow.

R: The Gracy house is still standing. It's still a very beautiful house over in the Highlands.

P: Is it still vacant?

R: Still standing, and it has been restored. It's still a pretty place., but I was wondering about
Cecil Gracy's father. What kind of business was he in?

P: He was in the timber business. I don't know whether you've heard the name Medlin?


R: No.

P: There were two Medlin families. Mary Medlin is still living. The other Medlin moved to
Jacksonville. But they were all timber men.

R: Was Major Thomas in the timber business, too, or was he in the hotel business?

P: I don't know what Major started out in.

R: Then he went into the hotel business, because Gainesville was quite a resort city for
Northerners, wasn't it? People from the north would come down and spend the winters in
Gainesville because it was such a lovely place.

P: He was an influential man. He may have been in the real estate business. He was
influential in getting Clarence Strauss down here and other people from the north.

R: At what time did you and Addison get your own home?

P: Ten years after we were married.

R: Now, that's the house that you used to live in lovely home.

P: We would tear out this thing and tear out that thing and just made it over.
R: Well, tell us where it was located. What was the address?

P: It was 212 University Terrace. I think its now 12th Terrace.

R: Yes. Quite close to the campus.

P: We were right near the university.

R: And you had such a lovely garden.

P: You know, that was the first subdivision that was ever in Gainesville. Professor Chandler
bought that land and sold off the lots. Dr. (C.L.) Crow (Professor of Romance Languages)
lived on the end. And a druggist, Dr. Johnson, lived on the other side and then we went
down there at the end.

I was very unhappy living with Mother Pound. I just put it up to her. "Mother, you don't
want me to leave here, but if we build a house will you come and live with us?" She said,
"No, I'll never leave here." So I said to Addison, "I'm not going to stay here." So he said,
Well, if you will go out and live in that little house that Glover (Taylor) and I just built,
and can't sell, we'll move." I said, "I don't care if it is just one room."

R: I see.

P: So we went out and he did build it over. He put a whole new front on it and a lot of things.

R: And by the time you got hold of it, it looked a lot better.

P: Well, you see, we built it over. It had a fireplace in every room and the rooms were small.
The fire places took up all the room. We had a round table in the dining room because you
couldn't get a square one in. It would have to be almost like a card table. But every so often,

we would tear up and put in a bay window or something. When I left, it was a comfortable
house to live in.

R: And it had such a beautiful garden.

P: We had a lovely garden.

R: Tell us about leaving the house to the university. You gave the house to the University,
didn't you?

P: I did ask them not to sell it until our neighbors all were going to sell their houses. Now
Huber Hurst, who lived next door to us, has given his to the university when he dies.

R: But eventually there will be quite a sizable block of property with the university.

P: It would be quite a large piece of property because we owned four lots and its all surrounded
by a brick wall.

R: That would be a wonderful place to put an international house or a faculty club or
something very nice.

P: Well, they have had some people in it, like Charlie Pell before he built his house.

R: Coach Pell.

P: Yes, Coach Pell, but when they started they intended to have a cultural place for important

R: I remember that Dr. Johns and Dr. (Manning) Dauer, and my husband, Dr. Ring, and Rae
Weimer wanted to have a retired faculty club there and attract retired faculty from other
universities to come here.

P: Yes, they did try very hard. As I recall, that happened just at the time when they cut a lot of
appropriations for education.

R: Yes. Too bad. Maybe yet they can do that one day, we hope.

P: Addison insulated everything. He sealed and insulated the attic and put insulation all
around the side.

R: Tell us about your son and the girl your son married.

P: Well, she's the loveliest person you every knew. Anne Richardson. She had graduated
from the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Addison had been in the Navy since he
graduated from the University of Florida in 1935. He took his flying training at

R: Was Addison in the university here?

P: Yes, he wasn't straight-A, but he almost was. He always had done well.

R: What did he major in business?

P: No. Engineering. I had an uncle that was a teacher at MIT and I was going to send him to
MIT since he was so interested in engineering. He graduated from high school at sixteen
and then from the university at twenty. He went right to Pensacola to fly in the Navy.

R: I see.

P: When those boys left Pensacola, after that training, I'll tell you, they knew how to fly.
Then he went with the fleet in the Pacific. I went with him out to San Diego after he got his
wings. We drove out in his Plymouth coupe.

R: How exciting.

P: He was attached to the aircraft carrier Saratoga, and while he was there, went in the search
for Amelia Earhart.

R: Oh, he did?

P: Well, it happened on the fourth of July. So many of the officers were off on the holiday. So
they gathered up what they could and put them on the Lexington and made that trip to the
South Pacific.

R: But they never did find her.

P: No. They had to fly and look and look for her plane that ran out of fuel and came down on
the water.

R: I never knew he did that. My goodness.

P: Well, I guess she was trying to find that little island, but just didn't get there.

R: Well, now, where did he meet Anne?

P: Well, they tell me that I made the match, but I did not. I really did not. She roomed with
Ruth Becker. Do you remember Ruth Becker?

R: Yes, I do.

P: Well, Ruth lived near the university on McCormick Street and had a room to rent. Anne
had spent the winter in New York with her brother and taken a graduate degree in library
work at Columbia University. She got a letter from the University of Florida saying that
they had a place for her just for a year.

R: Oh, at the university library. I see.

P: When she came, in looking around for a room she found one at Ruth Becker's.

I used to play cards at Ruth's and I would see Anne and I thought she was a darling. I said
to Anne one day, that I was going to Kingsley Lake and would she like to come along
sometime and she said yes.

Well, Addison came home on a short leave in the summer. Most of his friends were
married. You see, he'd been with the fleet for two years. When he came in I said, "I'm
planning to have a small party for Red Adkins. Get a girl and come on." He said, "Who's

home? I'll go out and see who I can bring." He looked all over town. Even Mary Baird (he
was very found of his cousin, Mary) was on a trip. He came home and said, "You know, I
can't find a girl that I know. They're either married or out of town." I said, "Well, there's
a girl that I've been promising to take to the lake and maybe this is the best time. I have to
go on so you'll just have to go and introduce yourself to her." I called Anne and she said
she'd like to go. "Well, I am gong to send Addison over to meet you and pick you up. I've
got to go on out and get this food together." She said she'd be ready. They got there and spent
the day with us.

R: I see.

P: He had served with the fleet for two years and was ordered back as a flying instructor.

R: Well, now, was this during the war?

P: No, it was before war was declared.

R: Oh, I see. So he took Anne to the party at the lake.

P: So from that day, he drove home most weekends that summer. He would leave Pensacola at
3:30 and have to get back by 12:00 Sunday night.

R: What year were they married?

P: In 1939.

R: I see. Just as the war was breaking out. Did Addison have to go to the war?

P: I remember that in December 1941 they were flying back to Pensacola in his own little
airplane, when they heard war was declared.

R: In 1941, right.

P: Later he was sent to Atlanta for instrument training. Anne was gong to have a baby so they
bought a home there.

R: Well, let's talk some more about recreation in those days. People went out to picnics at the
springs, did they not?

P: When we were first married Addison bought a boat and put it on Newnan's Lake. I
laughed and said, "He spent the whole Sunday working on the boat and I spent it sitting
there with a baby in my lap and the mosquitoes eating me up."

R: Did he like to fish?

P: My husband liked to fish, but Addison Jr., doesn't care anything about it.

R: Your husband did love to fish?

P: Yes. And he had a place at Cedar Key.

R: Oh, he did?

P: And later bought a place at Crystal River.

R: Did you go there for the weekend and fish? Did you fish with him?

P: No. I didn't care about fishing.

R: He would go with some other men to fish, is that it?

P: Well, he started going fishing with Judge Long. Judge Long had a place down on the
Suwannee River. He got very fond of Addison. He was a lot younger than Judge Long.
He'd take him down to his camp. Judge Long said he never could afford to associate with
anybody because he was a judge and he didn't want to come in contact with people that he he
might have to judge someday. So he'd always leave town on the weekend and he got
Addison in the habit of doing it and so he never gave it up. After he stopped going with
Judge Long, he bought half the camp with another man when Long went to Tallahassee. He
didn't like it so he bought his own camp down at Cedar Key and then the one at Crystal
River. He always had to have a whole lot of irons in the fire.

R: Well, did he bring a lot of fish home for you to cook?

P: Oh, I had a freezer full of fish.

R: Did he also like to hunt? Did he hunt partridges?

P: He loved to hunt. In hunting season, he and Uncle Gordon Tison hunted quail.

R: Did he like the sports at the university, the football team? Did he like to go to the games?

P: Oh, we went to most of the games. We went to Jacksonville and other places, just doing
whatever the rest of the crowd was doing.

R: What are your hobbies? Flowers?

P: Well, I can't say that I had a hobby exactly. When I lived with Mother Pound she had a
maid and I did not have much to do, so I began working in organizations like my church.

R: First Methodist Church?

P: Methodist Church, yes. And then I worked in the Garden Club. I was the first president of
the Fine Arts Association.

R: Tell us some of the people who organized the Fine Arts Association.

P: Well, Mrs. Buchtholz was the artist in the bunch and Mrs. Louise Fielding. Well, Miss
Louise always loved art and used to paint. Then Mrs. Nell Tresman, the pastor's sister.

R: Mrs. Caroline Mizell used to paint?

P: Yes, Mrs. Mizell, but that was later. She belonged to our club and painted a lot.

R: And, much later, Bill Chandler became interested in the arts.

P: That's much later.

R: But see, I didn't come until'38.

P: I had practically retired when that started.

R: I came in the era of Hollis Holbrook and Bob Carson and Bill Chandler and those were the
people who were running the Art Association by the time Dr. Maclachlan and I came. But
you go way back. You were the first president, right?

P: I was the first president. When I go now, Mr. Little downstairs takes me to the meetings
at night sometime.

R: The Art Association no longer exists, does it? The Fine Arts Association went out of
business when the art gallery came at the University. They no longer have a Fine Arts
Association, right? They have the Gallery Guild.

P: No. It never ceased to be. I think it was started in 1930.

R: And it's still going?

P: It's still going.

R: I see.

P: Sandy Paganini is the president now and they meet up at the the Thomas Center.

R: I see.

P: Yes, they are doing very well.

R: Do you sometimes go these days.

P: Yes, I do occasionally. I go to the exhibits. You see, I can't hear. Now, you said you thought
you might have seen me down there the other night, but if I get in a crowd, it's just bedlam. I
can't hear a word.

R: Yes, I see.

P: I've almost stopped going to church and I've been having trouble with my eyes. I can't see to
read, except for those large print things, and I can't have that in church. I have to have a
very good light.

R: Well, did you know that the services down at Holy Trinity are broadcast on the radio twice
a month?

P: Yes.

R: So you can listen.

P: I listen to it, and every now and then I get a very good sermon from somewhere else. And
they would be happy to bring the sermons to me, but I don't know, I don't particularly want to
do that. I really enjoy the people when I go to church. Just as much as anything I want to be
with the people.

R: Besides the Art Association, you were one of the founders of the Gainesville Women's Club,
which was called the Twentieth Century Club.

P: Oh, yes, I was.

R: Do you remember what year that was founded? About what time?

P: No, I don't.

R: Who were the women?

(I believe at this point Mrs. Pound thought the conversation was about the establishment of the
library, not the women's club.)

P: They were the ones that worked for the library, and they were the ones who wer
instrumental in getting the Carnegie (Library). That was their main work. They ran a
little library downtown in an office.

R: I see.

P: And then they worked and got the Carnegie Library.

R: On East University?

P: And I belonged to it until about three years ago when I got tired of belonging to so many
clubs that I couldn't go to any more.

R: I see.

P: You know, I didn't go because I couldn't hear a word they said. And I didn't have a way of
going. I guess I had belonged to so many and worked in them, I'm just tired of clubs.

R: Well, do your remember when they got the little clubhouse that was not far from your home?
The little clubhouse that they used to have?

P: Oh, yes, I remember very well the first woman's club.

R: On West University (Avenue), not far from where you lived.

P: Well, it was almost down to the railway. I gave the reception for Anne after they were
married at that clubhouse.

R: Right, and that clubhouse was an ordinary residence which was later moved out to the
Millhopper Shopping Center to be the Little Theater.

P: Well, are they going to sell it now that they've got the post office?

R: Well, the post office is not the Gainesville Little Theater. The old post office is the
Hippodrome Theater which is a repertory theater and I think it's a different group from the
Gainesville Little Theater group. Now, do you remember when it was that the woman's
club built that beautiful new building on West University (Avenue)?

P: No, I don't. I think I was on the committee, but certainly can't remember any dates.

R: Well, did you help design that?

P: Oh, no. I didn't help design it. They had an architect.

R: Right. Well, did you help to plan the plantings around the building.

P: Yes, I helped with the plantings.

R: It's a lovely place to meet.

P: Well, they've done a lot. We didn't have much money at first, but everybody gave plants
and well, you know, those things grow kind of slowly.

R: Right.

P: I mean it takes a lot of money.

R: Which circle of the Garden Club did you belong?

P: I belonged to the Azalea Circle.

R: Right.

P: The second circle.
R: I see.

P: The Founder's Circle, then the Azalea circle came in next.

R: Did you serve as an officer of your garden circle? Did you serve as president of your
garden circle?

P: Yes. I was president of the Garden Club. (Which is made up of all the circles). I really
was interested in everything cultural about Gainesville, developing the cultural side of

R: Well, if it hadn't been for women like you, Gainesville wouldn't have had any culture in
those days.

P: Well, if an organization started that I really felt that I could learn something from or give
something to, I wanted to help.