- Permanent Link:
- Stachelberg's, Havana Selection / made in Tampa
- Stachelberg CigarCompany ( Manufacturer )
Cigar City Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 cigar label ( 10 x 20 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Label ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Stachelbergs Cigar Factory (14th Street and 19th Avenue) ( nmc )
Cigar labels ( nmc )
Havana Selection -- Stachelberg Cigar Factory ( nmc )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- Label 7439 / 4 plates
- General Note:
- Around the turn of the 20th century, cigars were advertised and sold mainly by the colourful, intricate labels that adorned the boxes. Intense competition encouraged manufacturers to see who could create the most beautiful, eye-catching labels.
A diffrent stone was required to print each colour. It was not unusual for as many as 20 stones to be used to create a single label. The register for each printing had to be perfect.
The process became known as STONE LITHOGRAPHY or CHROMOLITHOGRAPHY.
Once this exacting printing process was completed, the labels were then gilded with hand-applied gold leaf. Finally, the labels were embossed using huge 30-ton presses.
According to Joe Davidson, the eminent American art dealer and collector, the "Golden Era" of cigar labels is associated with the introduction of gilding and embossing in the 1890's up to the late 1920's when the less attractive full-colour or photo-mechanical labels began to appear.
Genuine gold leaf was used primarily by German and Cuban printers and "bronzing" in which bronze powder was mixed with lacquer or sizing, applied like ink, then burnished with brushes or polished rollers to make them gleam like gold.
These particular labels were produced by the German factory, Gerhard Meinesz in Bentheim, near the Dutch border, and closed in 1932. The labels were used during the 1920's.
These spectacular lithographs lithographs wound up lying unused and undiscovered for generations. Because they were printed on special long-fibre, acid-free rage paper, these old labels retained their original brilliant colours. Consequently, they are available in very limited quantities.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: