- Permanent Link:
- The Ybor (Vincente Martinez) Cigar Factory.
- Cigar City Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 photograph ( 7 x 12 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Print, Photographic ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Ybor (Vincente Martinez) Cigar Factory (1901 N. 13th Street) ( nmc )
Cigar industry ( lctgm )
Streets -- 13th Street ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- In 1890 T.C. Taliaferro, came within a hair of leaving town. In fact, he'd already packed the fixtures and was ready to return to Jacksonville when the good news came. Mr. Ybor and Mr. Haya called on Banker Taliaferro to assure him the cigar industry was here to stay, and it meant big payrolls for the community. Not only did the Bank of
Tampa stay open, but soon it was occupying the first brick structure in town on the southwest corner of Franklin and Washington streets where the Merchants Association building now stands. And the bank received its national charter on May 6, 1886, one day before the first anniversary of the founding of the Board of Trade. At the crossroads of development, 1885 was the year an obscure fishing village turned toward greatness.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: