- Permanent Link:
- An Aerial view postcard of the Florida Brewing Company complete with logo.
- Tony Pizzo Collection ( Contributor )
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 postcard ( 7 x 7 cm )
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Postcard ( Documentary Artifact, Communication Artifact ) ( nmc )
Brewing Industry ( lctgm )
Florida Brewing Company (5th Avenue and 13th Street) ( lctgm )
Railroads ( lctgm )
Logos ( lctgm )
Streets -- 13th Street ( lctgm )
Streets -- 5th Avenue ( lctgm )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Tampa |z 1271000 |2 ceeus
Hillsborough County |z 12057 |2 ceeus
United States of America -- Florida -- Hillsborough County -- Tampa
- General Note:
- In 1896 several cigar industrialists incorporated the Florida Brewing Company with stated capital stock of $200,000.5 The two acre site chosen, at 5th Avenue and 13th Street in Ybor City, was adjacent to Government Spring. It was so named because it supplied water to government forces as far back as 1824. At this site,
Indians had performed sacred rituals, generals had planned strategies for the Seminole Indian War, men were hanged and it even served as a swimming and health resort one year.6 The pure spring water was a major influence in the purported excellent taste of the brewery's product. The site was also important in that it was next to the
railroad which provided excellent shipping capabilities.
- Funded in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Ephemeral Cities Project.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida, Tampa FLorida, Special Collection
- Rights Management:
- This item was contributed to the Digital Library of the Caribbean (dLOC) by the source institution listed in the metadata. This item may or may not be protected by copyright in the country where it was produced. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by applicable law, including any applicable international copyright treaty or fair use or fair dealing statutes, which dLOC partners have explicitly supported and endorsed. Any reuse of this item in excess of applicable copyright exceptions may require permission. dLOC would encourage users to contact the source institution directly or email@example.com to request more information about copyright status or to provide additional information about the item.
- Resource Identifier: