- Permanent Link:
- Great Fire of Colon, April 13-14, 1940
- Wilson, Francis
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- Gelatin silver print
- Physical Location:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Fires ( LCSH )
ColoÌn (Panama) ( LCSH )
- photographic postcards ( aat )
- Spatial Coverage:
- Panama -- Central America -- Colon -- Panama Canal Zone
- West Indians during the Great Fire of Colon 1940. West Indians work together to put out the Great Fire of Colon 1940. Entire buildings were burned to the ground forcing West Indian tenants to migrate out of the city. ( ,,,, )
- The picture is of the Great Fire of Colon April 13-14, 1940. This photograph is centered on West Indians, it includes women and children, and it also shows the absolute destruction left behind by the Great Fire of Colon. This picture shows over thirty West Indians from side to side. Both male and female subjects can easily be identified as well as children of about six or seven at the youngest. Most of the subjects have their backs turned toward the photographer, showing concern for the remains left behind from the enormous fire.
The caption at the bottom states, â€œGreat Fire of Colon April 13-14, 1940â€ and it shows just that, entire buildings burned to the ground. Using one of the subjects as a scale, the buildings in the background that were left standing look about a block away from the photographer, speaking to the severity of the destruction caused.
- Item received on 12/7/2011
- Photographs belonged to Clifton Bondurant who served in the US Navy as a radio specialist in the war. He was believed to be station at Coco Solo. Donated by Francis Wilson.
- Research and additional metadata (metadata is the citation information, including the alternate title, abstract, subject terms, abstract, added notes, and other item information) written and contributed in May 2014 by Alexandra Graham for course: â€œPanama Silver, Asian Gold: Migration, Money, and the Making of the Modern Caribbeanâ€ (Spring 2014, taught by Leah Rosenberg at the University of Florida).
- Holding Location:
- Panama Canal Museum Collection at the University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- This item is presumed to be in the public domain. The University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries respect the intellectual property rights of others and do not claim any copyright interest in this item. Users of this work have responsibility for determining copyright status prior to reusing, publishing or reproducing this item for purposes other than what is allowed by fair use or other copyright exemptions. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions may require permission of the copyright holder. The Smathers Libraries would like to learn more about this item and invite individuals or organizations to contact Digital Services (UFDC@uflib.ufl.edu) with any additional information they can provide.
- Resource Identifier:
- 2011.010.012 ( Accession Number )
This item has the following downloads:
Gre.t Fire af Colon April 13 14, 1940
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID EMXQSZL89_HA036Z INGEST_TIME 2014-05-01T02:49:32Z PACKAGE PCMI012659_00001
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC