- Permanent Link:
- zSpace: Transforming Teaching and Learning with Mixed Reality
- Elrod, Rachael
- Publication Date:
- Physical Description:
- This poster will introduce the mixed reality (MR) world of zSpace computers and how they can inspire learning, teaching, and collaboration throughout campus. zSpace enables experiential and collaborative learning by combining elements of MR that allows users to â€œpullâ€ 3D objects or concepts from the screen and manipulate them with a stylus. The Education Library at the University of Florida (UF) collaborated with the College of Educationâ€™s Department of Educational Technology and UFâ€™s Department of Academic Technology to introduce innovative zSpace to campus. This Fall we will install the zSpace computer in our Makerspace to support programs across campus. Assignments have already been developed by Education faculty that will utilize our zSpace unit.
This poster will define the concepts of virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality and how zSpace integrates MR with educational objectives. We will present our plans for assessment, workshops, and collaborative efforts using this emerging technology. Assessment methods will include surveys, interviews, computer usage statistics, and workshop evaluations. Workshops, which will be developed collaboratively with Educational Technology faculty and graduate students, will be provided to the campus community to encourage use and understanding of this MR technology.
In addition, zSpace can be used to help students visualize 3D objects and we will discuss the ways in which it can be integrated with 3D printing and scanning. We will also discuss the accessibility features of zSpace along with the available software applications which can support teaching and learning in a wide-variety of academic programs.
- Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Rachael Elrod.
- General Note:
- Poster presented at the Florida Association of College & Research Libraries (FACRL) conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. October 18, 2019.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All rights reserved by the submitter.
This item is only available as the following downloads:
zSpace: Transforming teaching and learning with mixed reality Brittany Kester, Rachael Elrod, & Bojan Lazarevic, University of Florida zSpace is a mixed reality computer that allows users to manipulate them with a stylus. The U.S. Department of Education (2017) states in its 2017 National Education Technology Plan that zSpace Technology represents one of the future technologies that has potential for transforming future learning experience. Introduction The impact of zSpace in the library will be measured based on data collection of device usage, post use surveys, semi structured interviews, and workshop evaluations. A new educational technology course plans to conduct an pedagogical needs assessment using zSpace. Assessment Workshops will be offered at four levels: Explanatory: basic introduction Application: in depth exploration of content/discipline specific apps Implementation: conceptual solutions with best practices focused on the implementation of MR in the class to support experiential learning Creation: content design and development Workshops U.S. Department of Education (2017). Reimagining the Role of Technology in Education: 2017 National Education Technology Plan Update. Retrieved from https :// cdn.zspace.com/collateral/casestudies/2017_National_Te chnology_Plan.pdf zSpace (2014). User interface guidelines. Retrieved from https://cdn.zspace.com/downloads/documentation/developer/zs pace ui guidelines.pdf References zSpace can meet the needs of courses across a wide variety of disciplines: Medicine: anatomy models (muscular, nervous) Engineering: engines, machineries, string of lights Biology: biomes, leaf structure, photosynthesis Chemistry: molecules, atoms, chemical reactions Mathematics: geometry, graphing, volume Music: idiophones, musical ensemble Language & Literature: dramatic structure, prefixes Social Sciences and History: Multimedia Production: MR instructional activities Discipline Specific Instruction Augmented Reality (AR): Uses a device to add digital elements to the real world. ( Pokmon Go and Snapchat ). Virtual Reality (VR): A fully immersive virtual experience ( Oculus Rift). Mixed Reality (MR): Combines elements of AR and VR where real and digital worlds interact. What is Mixed Reality? Accessibility standards are embedded within the zSpace educational software (zSpace, 2014): Audio options available Compatible with commonly used screen readers Keyboard shortcuts Available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and French Additional cues for users who are color blind Handedness configuration Stylus vibration (ie: heartbeat) Accessibility A 3D model can be created in zSpace and printed on a 3D printer or a physical object can be scanned with a 3D scanner uploaded into zSpace, manipulated, and then 3D printed for example: CT scan Historical artifacts Body parts (head, hands) Objects (snake skeleton, car parts) 3D Scanning & Printing zView camera will allow participants in classes or workshops the capability to view the multimedia instructional materials. zView Camera