- Permanent Link:
- Inspired by special collections: the Marjorie S. Coffey Artist Book Residency at the University of Florida
- Hawley, E. Haven
- George A. Smathers Libraries, University of Florida
- Publication Date:
- June 23, 2018
- Physical Description:
- In 2015, the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida established the Marjorie S Coffey Residency for Book Arts. This residency offers a semester-long opportunity for a selected artist to draw inspiration from the collections of Special and Area Studies to create an editioned artists' book, with technical and production assistance of the Libraries' on-staff Associate in Book Arts. During the residency the artist interacts formally and informally with librarians, curators, faculty and students. This poster will detail the policies and procedures we've developed for the administration of the residency program, selection process for resident artists, timelines, and challenges. Illustrations of source materials from the Libraries' collections and the resulting artists' books will highlight the nature of the creative process, and the resident artists' highly individual and inventive responses to visual and textual research.
- Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Ann Lindell.
- General Note:
- Poster presented at the Annual Conference of the American Library Association, New Orleans, LA , June 23, 2018
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All rights reserved by the submitter.
The Coffey Residency The Coffey Residency is supported by the Marjorie S. Coffey Library Endowment. This endowment supports the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida with special attention to the donors interest in miniature books and livres dartiste. Initiated in 2015, the artists residency is an opportunity for a selected artist to research materials from the Special and Area Studies Collections (SASC) at University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries as the impetus for the creation of an editioned artists book. During the semester-long residency, the artist interacts with librarians, curators, faculty, and students across campus. Production of the project involves conference, consultation, and technical assistance from Ellen Knudson, Associate in Book Arts. RESIDENCY DETAILS: Endowment for the duration of the residency. binders board, photopolymer plates, etc.) are purchased by SASC through the endowment. the nished edition. (The edition size is deter mined by the projects complexity.) A copy of collection at SASC, a copy goes to the endow ment donor, and a copy goes to the President of the University of Florida. and/or blocks, drawings, writings, etc.) are collected in an archive of the project and stored in SASC. produced in cooperation with the School of Art and Art History (SA+AH) using the letter press printing and book-making facilities. The editions are a collaboration between SA+AH and Library Press @ UF.SELECTION PROCESS: Residency committee members. are selected or invited at the discretion of the committee.RESIDENCY OUTCOMES: nationally recognized in the book arts community and the books produced from the residency have been well and widely acclaimed. tion with George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida (Library Press @ UF) and the School of Art and Art History. Residency publications are, University of Miami, University of Illinois, University of South Carolina, University of Iowa, Washington University, and Michigan State University. 2015 //// EMILY MARTIN //// ALL SORTS 2016 //// MOLLY KEMPSON //// THE WOODPECKERS OF FLORIDA 2017 //// H.M. BATSEL //// EPHEMERUSAll Sorts is the inaugural artists book edition from the Marjorie S. Coffey Library Endowment Residency at the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida and the rst publication of the Library Press @ UF. system for citrus is displayed through label color: blue = best designed a 3D tunnel book using direct references from the labels as design elements in the book. The piece is 9 x The artist was intrigued by the concept of labeling and in response created an alphabetic system of words that are used to label people. All Sorts was selected as a Gallery Choice award winner in the exhibit Pop-Up Now II, an international, juried exhibi tion of handmade pop-up and movable artists books at 23 Sandy Gallery, Portland, OR. C OFFEY R ESIDENCY 2015 6-week Summer residency Emily Martin / Naughty Dog Press University of Iowa Label Collection that inu enced the design of All Sorts .Photo credit: Emily Martin. The Woodpeckers of Florida The Woodpeckers of Florida is the 2016 artists book edition from the Marjorie S. Coffey Library Endowment Residency at the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida. during the six-week residency in the summer of 2016. The book is inspired by Kempsons research and study of natural history texts Studies Collections The Woodpeckers of Florida is a portfolio of eight prints letter press printed from linoleum reduction blocks illustrated, handcut, and printed by Molly Kempson. The portfolios were printed and produced by Ellen Knudson and Molly Kempson. C OFFEY R ESIDENCY 2016 6-week Summer residency Molly Kempson / Spotty Boy Press Gainesville, Florida (UF Art Education grad alumnus) Photo credit: Ellen Knudson. RIGHT: Detail of woodpecker from The Picture Book of Birds LEFT : Cover of the book Bilder-Sauberei from Special and Area Studies Collections. FAR LEFT : Detail from the book Works of the Highly Experienced and Famous Chymist, John R. Glauber (1689) from the Harold in the Special and Area Studies Collections. Ephemerus Ephemerus S. Coffey Library Endowment Residency at the George A. Smathers Libraries at the University of Florida. The book was the Special and Area Studies Collections Department Ephemerus tells the story of a magician and his dying appren tice who the magician attempts to spare from death through his mastery of magic and spiritual negotiation. The story reveals the limitations of power and the reality of human frailty. Ephemerus is a drum-leaf binding that incoporates foldout panels and moveable, pop-up elements in the book. 15-week Fall semester residency H.M. Batsel Chicago, Illinois E. HAVEN HAWLEY //// ELLEN KNUDSON //// ANN LINDELLINSP I RED BY S PEC I AL C OLLECT I ONS:THE MARJORIE S.COFFEY A R T I ST BOOK R E S IDEN C Y A T T HE UNIVER S I T Y OF F LORIDA
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID EIV8M8U9G_KMOEI7 INGEST_TIME 2018-08-28T21:22:53Z PACKAGE IR00010436_00001
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC