- Permanent Link:
- The Florida & Puerto Rico Digital Newspaper Project
- Espino, Melissa
Moczygemba, Sarah Moxy ( Author, Primary )
- Physical Description:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- National Digital Newspaper Program (U.S.)
- Presentation given by Melissa Espino and Sarah "Moxy" Moczygemba, including brief background of the National Digital Newspaper Program (NDNP) and the FPRDNP, an overview of the project workflow, showcasing of content available in the newspapers, and a demonstration of the functionalities of Chronicling America.
- Collected for University of Florida's Institutional Repository by the UFIR Self-Submittal tool. Submitted by Melissa Espino.
- General Note:
- Presentation held via webinar hosted by the Florida Library Webinars (FLW) on September 12, 2016
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida Institutional Repository
- Holding Location:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- Copyright Creator/Rights holder. Permission granted to University of Florida to digitize and display this item for non-profit research and educational purposes. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID EFTRVK8AR_2LMB9M INGEST_TIME 2016-09-22T21:12:32Z PACKAGE IR00008417_00001
AGREEMENT_INFO ACCOUNT UF PROJECT UFDC
The Florida & Puerto Rico Digital Newspaper Project Melissa Espino Project Coordinator Outreach & Promotion Assistant
Our Workflow Prepare title list Select titles Duplicate reels Collation Digitize material Quality review Create backup Ingest
2TB hard drive Microfilm reel Microfilm reader/scanner
iArchives Digitization Workflow Film Scanning Customer Deliverables Workflow Manager DB Page/Reel Metadata Shared Storage (NAS) Split, De Skew, Crop Post Process OCR Framework Image Metadata Image Processing QC QC QC QC QC QC Automatic process (image processing, OCR, etc) Manual process (image + article metadata) Quality Control
Digital Viewer & Validator
Content Locations Florida Papers 1880s 1922 Puerto Rico 1837 1910
Content Includes International World War I Spanish American War Travel Technologies Heads of State National Governance and Elections Suffrage Movement Prohibition Sports News Presidents and their Families Ads for National Brands Nativism From The Ocala Evening Star November 4, 1908 Article retrieved from Chronicling America. From The Daytona daily news January 8, 1910 Article retrieved from Chronicling America.
Content Includes Florida State Politics and Elections Creation of University System Travel Reports Entertainment Agricultural Reports Railways and Steamboats Natural Disasters From La Democracia Forthcoming Puerto Rico Governance News from Spain International News Epidemics Sale of Land and Slaves From The Ocala evening star June 17, 1916 Article retrieved from Chronicling America.
readable text Chronicling America is fully searchable Not perfect technology Extraneous marks on page Unusual Fonts Misreading text or combining words accurate as a search engine (like Google) Be patient with searches and think outside of the box. Optical Character Recognition From The Pensacola Journal August 16 1908 Article retrieved from Chronicling America. Search Term: Catholic Search Term: Thailand From the Monroe City Democrat (Monroe City, MO) August 22 1907 Image Retrieved from Chronicling America.
Tips and Tricks Vocabulary Historic spelling and typos Change in terms S earch parameters Change scope to get more useful results Diversify name searches Affiliated organizations, businesses, and governing bodies From the Pensacola Journal (Pensacola, Fla.) November 8,1914. Article retrieved from Chronicling America From T he w eekly t rue Democrat (Tallahassee, Fla.) October 26, 1906. Article retrieved from Chronicling America.
Known OCR Issues From the Pensacola Journal (Pensacola, Fla.) May 3,1913 Image Retrieved from Chronicling America From the Pensacola Journal (Pensacola, Fla.) January 22,1909 Image Retrieved from Chronicling America
Known OCR Issues From the Pensacola Journal (Pensacola, Fla.) May 19,1909 Image Retrieved from Chronicling America From the Pensacola Journal (Pensacola, Fla.) February 16, 1913 Image Retrieved from Chronicling America
A Note on Historical Language
Keep In Touch! Facebook: facebook.com/ufndnp Twitter: @UFNDNP WordPress: ufndnp.wordpress.com Pinterest: pinterest.com/ufndnp Email: email@example.com LibGuide: guides.uflib.ufl.edu/ufndnp
Contact Us Melissa Espino Project Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org Outreach & Promotion Assistant email@example.com