- Permanent Link:
- Environmental health and justice practicum and documentary
- Curnick, Jacqueline Allegra ( author )
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (37 pages) : illustrations ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Sustainable Development Practice field practicum report, M.D.P
- government publication (state, provincial, terriorial, dependent) ( marcgt )
bibliography ( marcgt )
theses ( marcgt )
non-fiction ( marcgt )
- This paper is a report on a MDP practicum project covering the topics of environmental health and justice and environmental communication, with regards to a specific case study in St. Lawrence Island, Alaska. The project was completed alongside a community organization, Alaska Community Action on Toxics, and the main deliverable is an 18 minute documentary film. In this document you will find information about the emerging field of environmental communication, perspectives on environmental justice, and contextual information about Arctic contamination. The methodology of this project is primarily documentary film production. This document has insights into film production as a tool for advocacy and tips for getting started in the field. There is also a link to the documentary so that readers can watch the final product. St. Lawrence Island is located in the Bering Sea between Alaska and Russia. During the Cold War, it was used as a United States military site for communication and observation. In the years after the military left, some community members noticed rising rates of disease and cancers that had been previously unknown in the community. Over the past decades, the St. Lawrence Island community and the group Alaska Community Action on Toxics has been fighting to prove environmental contamination and advocating for remediation of their land. Unfortunately there are many other challenges and concerns for the Yupik people such as adequate health access, climate change, and generational emotional trauma.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- General Note:
- The MDP Program is administered jointly by the Center for Latin American Studies and the Center for African Studies.
- Statement of Responsibility:
- by Jacqueline Allegra Curnick.
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- 036257154 ( ALEPH )
- LD1780.1 2018 ( lcc )