Citation
View of Good Hope Plantation on the top of a hill

Material Information

Title:
View of Good Hope Plantation on the top of a hill
Uniform Title:
The Bryant Slides Collection
The Bryant Slides Collection, Jamaica
Creator:
Unknown ( Photographer )
Publication Date:
Physical Description:
35 mm

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Historic sites -- Jamaica -- Trelawny -- 1950-1960
Jamaica -- Description and travel
Citrus -- Jamaica -- Trelawny -- 1950-1960
Genre:
Transparencies
Spatial Coverage:
Jamaica -- Caribbean region -- Falmouth, Trelawny

Notes

General Note:
The slides were taken on collecting trips sponsored by the William L. Bryant Foundation, where books, music and art indigenous to the regions were gathered. The are organized by geographical location.
General Note:
By 1755, the Good Hope Estate was formed through a land grant, given to Colonel Thomas Williams, who built the first great house on the site, which was a sugar estate. In 1767, the property and surrounding estates was purchased by John Tharp, then the largest land and slave owner in Jamaica. The plantation is close to the Martha Brae River and the Cockpit Mountains. The estate became a hotel in 1912 after it was purchased by an American banker. In the foreground of the picture, a citrus grove behind a wire fence. Slide labeled Hope Plantation.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Central Florida Libraries
Holding Location:
University of Central Florida
Rights Management:
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact Special Collections & University Archives, University of Central Florida Libraries, Orlando, FL 32816 phone (407) 823-2576, email: speccoll@mail.ucf.edu
Resource Identifier:
CFM1972_01a ( Sheet 63: 5 )