Citation
Rose Hall Great House before reconstruction, Saint James, Jamaica

Material Information

Title:
Rose Hall Great House before reconstruction, Saint James, Jamaica
Uniform Title:
The Bryant Slides Collection
The Bryant Slides Collection, Jamaica
Creator:
Unknown ( Photographer )
Publication Date:
Physical Description:
35 mm

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Saint James (Jamaica) -- Description and travel
Historic sites -- Jamaica -- Saint James -- 1950-1960
Sugar plantations -- Jamaica -- Saint James -- 1950-1960
Architecture, Caribbean -- Jamaica -- 1770-1780
Haunted places -- Jamaica -- Saint James -- 1950-1960
Vodou -- Jamaica -- Saint James -- 1950-1960
Genre:
Transparencies
Spatial Coverage:
Jamaica -- Caribbean region -- Saint James

Notes

General Note:
The slides were taken on collecting trips sponsored by the William L. Bryant Foundation, where books, music and art indigenous to the regions were gathered. The are organized by geographical location.
General Note:
Rose Hall Great House in Saint James, Jamaica is an example of Caribbean Georgian architecture, was built in 1770 by John Palmer, Custos of Saint Thomas, and his wife (for whom the house is named). It eventually became the residence of their grandnephew, John Rose Palmer. In 1820, Palmer married Annie Mae Paterson. Following Annie Palmer's death, the plantation house became home to legendary story of the White Witch of Rose Hall. The Great House is built using cut stone on the first two levels and stucco on the third and uppermost level. This image was taken prior to the beginning of its reconstruction in the 1960s. Slide labeled Rose Hall.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Central Florida Libraries
Holding Location:
University of Central Florida
Rights Management:
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact Special Collections & University Archives, University of Central Florida Libraries, Orlando, FL 32816 phone (407) 823-2576, email: speccoll@mail.ucf.edu
Resource Identifier:
CFM1972_01a ( Sheet 61:15 )