Citation
Devon House in Saint Andrew, Jamaica

Material Information

Title:
Devon House in Saint Andrew, Jamaica
Uniform Title:
The Bryant Slides Collection
The Bryant Slides Collection, Jamaica
Creator:
Unknown ( Photographer )
Lazarus, Charles P., 1836-1917 ( Architect )
Publication Date:
Physical Description:
35 mm

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Davon House (Kingston, Jamaica)
Historic buildings -- Jamaica -- Saint
Andrew -- 1880-1890
Architecture, Caribbean -- Jamaica -- Saint
Fountains -- Jamaica -- Saint Andrew -- 1880-1890
Trees -- Jamaica -- Saint Andrew
Flags -- Jamaica -- Saint Andrew
Genre:
Transparencies
Spatial Coverage:
Jamaica -- Caribbean region -- Saint Andrew

Notes

General Note:
The slides were taken on collecting trips sponsored by the William L. Bryant Foundation, where books, music and art indigenous to the regions were gathered. The are organized by geographical location.
General Note:
Devon House was built in 1881 by Jamaica’s first black millionaire George Stiebel. The land was first assigned to Reverend John Zellers by King George II in May 1667 to aid in the Anglican Church’s efforts to spread Christianity on the island. The house’s architectural style is a mix of Jamaican and English Georgian style architecture and is located at the corner of Trafalgar Road and Hope Road, in what later became known as Millionaire’s corner. In 1967, the house was purchased by the Jamaica National Heritage Trust and was later declared a national monument in 1990 after winning the American Express Historic Preservation Award. Devon House is a Jamaica Heritage Site owned by the Jamaican government. Slide labeled Jam. in Kingston Devon House.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Central Florida Libraries
Holding Location:
University of Central Florida
Rights Management:
All rights to images are held by the respective holding institution. This image is posted publicly for non-profit educational uses, excluding printed publication. For permission to reproduce images and/or for copyright information contact Special Collections & University Archives, University of Central Florida Libraries, Orlando, FL 32816 phone (407) 823-2576, email: speccoll@mail.ucf.edu
Resource Identifier:
CFM1972_01a
Sheet 58:15