F.P.A Ladies Auxiliary History
Did you ever go on a Treasure Hunt? A clue here, a clue there, a
hint, and even some very,very,nice people giving you a big assist,
brought you to an exciting spot that you wanted to share with everyone!
That's more or less the way this history of our Auxiliary has been
Special thanks are dtte Dr. L. G. Gramling,"Mr. Florida Pharmaceutical
History," for sharing so generously his material and knowledge as he
researched).the history of pharmacy in Florida. Mrs. C. G. (Carrie Lou)
Hamilton was the last Historian of the Auxiliary on record to have a
history printed. Our great appreciation to her for preserving the
years from 1915 1953. This, together with other material was placed
in the P. K. Yonge Library of Florida History at the University of Florida
by Mrs. Lydia Foote and Mrs. John Dickenson in 1958. We are indebted
to them for preBervjkg these papers. Mrs. Odessa Mooney, Administrative
Assistant to the Dean of the College of Pharmacy, has been most generous
in making the Auxiliary files at the College available at our convenience.
The staff of the library was most interested and cooperative. Finally,
thanks to our President Mrs. H. F. (Betty) Bevis for deciding that this
be undertaken during her administration.
In June 1915 the State Pharmaceutical Association was holding its
annual convention at Atlantic Beach, Florida. At this time a group of
women present had the happy.idea of forming a Ladies' Auxiliary to the
State Pharmaceutical Association, not only to make the convention more
interesting socially, but they had a vision of a real work the women
could do when they drew up a few By-Laws and elected officers for the next
year. Mrs. F. A. Snow of Tampa was elected the first President. Other
officers were: Mrs. M. M. Taylor of Tampa and Mrs. W. R. Jones of Jackson-
In 1916 the convention was held in Tamps, with Mrs. M. M. Taylor as
President. We realized that young men in Florida who desired a Pharma-
ceutical Education had to go outside the state to obtain it and many
lacked the funds to do so.
A committee was appointed to look into various Pharmacy schools and
ascertain the cost of such courses.
We decided to save our dues for a loan fund in order to assist some
worthy young man attain his ambition.
In 1917 we met in Jacksonville. Mrs. John Dickinson was elected
President. In 1918 we met in Tampa. Few could attend. War clouds
hung heavily over us; our cherished dream was laid aside temporarily;
our small savings invested in War Savings Stamps that we might help in
some small way. Those were dark days for us all; so few attended this
1918 convention. At its close it was voted to return to Tampa in 1919.
Mrs. Dickinson was elected for a third term. The spirit of the 1919
convention was much changed. Peace had been declared and it now remained
for our country to return to normalcy. At this time our membership dues
were raised from 25 cents to one dollar a year, in order to increase our
loan fund more rapidly.
In 1920 we met in Jacksonville. Mrs. Jewett was President. At this
meeting a motion was made by Mrs. W. G. Allen to set aside the sum of
One Hundred and Fifty Dollars yearly as a Loan Fund to assist some young
man acquire a Pharmacy education. The idea of a school of Pharmacy at the
University of Florida had taken root in the Association, and the following
three years it gained momentum.
In 1923, through the efforts of the State Pharmaceutical Association,
the legislature appropriated funds to establish the School of Pharmacy,
and the Association raised Five Thousand dollars for equipment. Prof.
Townes Leigh, A.M., Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry was made Director;
( phA V-in cA e)
Prof. Wm. J. Husa, AaM., Ph.D., Professor of Pharmac g and Prof.
Albert W. Sweet, A.M., Ph.D., Professor oflharmocology, members of the
Mrs. Leon Hale was elected to head the Ladies' Auxiliary for 1923,
and she immediately laid plans to raise money for a Reference Library.
Letters were written to all druggists in the state and circulated by
the Traveling Men's Auxiliary. With the One Hundred and Eight Dollars
which was collected, the first books for the School of Pharmacy were
purchased. A complete record of all donations is in the file of the
Auxiliary today, and credit is due Leon Hale, Mr. Cox and Mr.. Baird
of Groover-Stewart; Mrx. Chas. Johnson, Mr. 0. G. Turner, Mrs Walter
Allen,Jr., and Mr. R. J. Sales of Tampa Crug Co., for making the collec-
tion of this fund possible. Gifts of valuable books were also donated
through the Library Committee, among them the complete files of the
Proceedings of the Amerioan Pharmaceutical Association, donated by Mr.
and Mrs. Isaac Levy.
In 1924 Mrs. Hale was re-elected President At Daytona Beach. She
personally wrote to all pharmaceutical publications, telling them of the
work which was being undertaken and asking their support and cooperation.
As a result the School of Pharmacy received a year's subscription from
each publication, and with these magazines the Auxiliary established the
Round Table, renewing them each year since that time.
Now that the School of Pharmacy was a reality and definite lines of
work were established, the Aukiliaty has grown more enthusiastic with
each succeeding year of its existence. We have been, and shall continue
to be, the means of assisting many young men and women in a profession
of which they are proud, because a group of women with unity of purpose
were willing to give freely of their time, money, and effort in order to
reach their goal. Space will not permit us to recall the fine work of the
many officers and members, but we pause to mention the outstanding service
of Mrs. Isaac Levy who for many years served so efficiently as Treasurer
of the Auxiliary. The complete history has been kept up to date and is
in the custody of the Historian.
In the past twenty years conventions have taken us to Jacksonville,
Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, Bal Harbour, Hollywood Beach, Clearwater, Orlando,
Miami Beach, Daytona Beach, and here we are at Walt Disney World, just
outside of Orlando. In all of these locations, and between conventions,
there have been fellowship, fun, and many fine accomplishments. The
goals of the founders have continued: education, scholarship, and the
best for the profession of Pharmacy.
Student loans and financial assistance have been continuous. From
the original $150.00 in 1919 for a student loan, it has grown and in
1967 when Dr. Perry A. Foote gave his final report before retiring, he
said, $32,635.00 have been lent students to date by the Auxiliary."
That figure is now over $40,000,00. This is a great tributeeto the
ladies who have worked throughout the years and a real satisfaction to
see the fruits of a labor of love.
The Round Table has been another on-going project of the Auxiliary.
No exact date has been found for the start of this, but is was soon after
1923. The purpose of this undertaking was to provide library materials
for the School of Pharmacy. Originally the ladies donated$108.00 for the
purchase of books and journals and then the $35.00 each year which gaw
to $50.00 each year to aid with the library. This continued until 1968
when it became available for the College to purchase books when needed and
send the Auxiliary the bill.
There were other assists to the University by the Auxiliary that pop
up in the minutes of these years. At one time s9t $125.00 was given
for the Annual Chctbmnas Pary. Later $125.00 was given for the Senior
Banquet. Money was given to the College of Pharmacy. In 1969 Dean K.
Finger spies of plans for Summer Workshops for high school students to
interest them in pharmacy, and the Auxiliary helped with this program.
Three annual awards are now given by our organization. In 1965, to
mark our 50th Anniversary, the Gold Merit Award was started. This goes
to an outstanding senior at the College of Pharmacy. The recipient
receives a plaque and a check for $300.00. The Phar-Miss Award was
first presented in 1969 and goes to the outstanding woman pharmacy
student. With it are a p3alqte and check for $250.00. In 1971 the
Hurd M. Jones Award was begun, going to the outstanding pharmacy student
at A & M. This also carries a plaque and a checkfr1,y 3,f~
In 1966 the FPALA Official Emblem was designed by Mrs. Hinton F.
(Betty) Bevis and adopted. In 1967 the emblem was made into a flag.
Let the designer tell you in her own words the meaning of our emblem.
"The clasped hands signify the friendship and social aspect of our
The hands supporting the Mortar and Pestle mean just that the
support we give our husbands in the practice of their profession.
The hand with the Torch and the Page of Text reproducing a portion
of our by-laws depict the emphasis we place on our Scholarship and
student loan activities."
The Ladies Auxiliary is very closely tied to the history of pharmacy
education for Floridians. The first loan fund was established before
there was any pharmacy education in Florida, and was used to send a
deserving student out of state. In 1923 the School of Pharmacy was
founded at the University of Florida. Then the ladies turned to assist-
ing students in the state. Later the School rose to the status of College
of Pharmacy and now is housed in a wing of the J. Hillis Miller Health
Center a big step forward. In 1965 it was decided that all records
of the Auxiliary over five years old be placed in a file at the College.
The ones available are there now.
The T.M.A. has always given a big assist to the Auxiliary in many ways,
not the least being entertainment and lots of prizes at conventions. Our
history would not be complete without recognizing this great group.
The ten local Auxiliaries: Alachua, Broward, Central Florida, Columbia,
Dade. Duval. Hillsborough, Leon, Pinellas, and Tri-County (Marion, Citrus,
Levy), have made history themselves in ways too numerous to mention.
Both independently and in conjunction with the State Auxiliary their
accomplishments merit our attention.
We've changed our name and our By-Laws as needed. From the Women's
Auxiliary of the Florida State PharmaceuticAL Association, we are now
the Ladies (no Less ) Auxiliary of the Florida Pharmaceutical Association.
The first honorary life membership was awarded in 1969 to the late Miss
Clare Bowen of Tallahassee, the 12th president of our Aixiliary. The
last report is that 25% of the College of Pharmacy student body is female.
That would startle our founders.
This could go on and on with interesting and amusing bits and pieces,
but haven't you already felt the impact of this organization over the
past fifty eight years as this refreshes your memory of our history?
So we leave off here for the next historian to continu-t It surely
makes us proud to be THE LADIES AUXILIARY OF THE FLORIDA PHARMACEUTICAL
ASSOCIATIONI Our dues this year to State are $4.00, sixteen times as much
as when we were founded, but that's a great bargain when you think of
what we are doing.