The Grenada newsletter

Material Information

The Grenada newsletter
Place of Publication:
St. George's, Grenada, West Indies
A. & C. Hughes
Publication Date:
Twenty no. a year
completely irregular
Physical Description:
v. : ill. ; 36 cm.


Subjects / Keywords:
Periodicals -- Grenada ( lcsh )
Politics and government -- Periodicals -- Grenada ( lcsh )
Economic conditions -- Periodicals -- Grenada ( lcsh )
Social conditions -- Periodicals -- Grenada ( lcsh )
newspaper ( sobekcm )
newspaper ( marcgt )
Spatial Coverage:


Dates or Sequential Designation:
Began in 1973.
General Note:
Description based on surrogate of: Vol. 11, no. 1 (Jan. 22, 1983); title from caption.

Record Information

Source Institution:
A. & C. Hughes
Holding Location:
A. & C. Hughes
Rights Management:
Copyright A. & C. Hughes. Permission granted to University of Florida to digitize and display this item for non-profit research and educational purposes. Any reuse of this item in excess of fair use or other copyright exemptions requires permission of the copyright holder.
Resource Identifier:
24157414 ( OCLC )
sn 91021217 ( LCCN )
F2056.A2 G74 ( lcc )

Full Text

The 6nienada


When Chief Justice Dennis Byron adjourned the Maurice Bishop Murder Trial on Friday June 27th, he did
not sit again until Tuesday July 1st.
Members of the Prosecution were required to be in the Appeal Court on Monday 30th June to deal with a
relatedmatter (see"Preident Haynes Refuses Stay Page 6 ). That matter was not been completed
on 30th and, when the Court sat on July 1st, Director of Pubfic Prosecutions, Mrs Velma Hylton, asked Mr
Byron for an adjournment until Thursday July 3rd.
The Court sat more than two hours late on the 3rd. The Chief Justice delayed sitting in order to allow two
fence Counsel, Messrs Ian Ramsay and DeLano Harrison, to confer with the accused and when it did sit
that day, there was a further request for an adjournment, this time by the accused in the Trial.
Former Deputy Prime Minister in the Peoples Revolutionary Government, Bernard Coard asked for an
adjournment of 48 hours to permit the accused to give consideration to the ruling, the day before, of
President of the Appeal Court, Mr J O F Haynes, in which Mr Haynes refused to order a stay of the Trial.
But the Chief Justice did not feel such an adjournment had anything to do with the Trial and refused it.

On this day (July 3rd), the
accused ta.sed the Court and the
Prosecution to have certain
documents returned to them.
Addressing the Court, Bernard
Ccard, said these documents
were taken away from Grenada
by the United States authorities
after the "invasion" of October
"They are vital to our defence",
Coard said, "and from day one,
even before the jury was
empanneled, we have been
asking for them".
The United States has boasted
about possession of these
documents, Coard said, and the
United States Congress even
declared October 19th to 25th
1985 to be "Study Grenada
Documents Week"
Ihis is enough for the Court to
take "judicial notice", he said,
and to make every effort to have
he documents returned.
Coard pointed to the "excellent
relations" between St Georges
and Washington exemplified, he
said, by the visit of President
Reagan and others, and the fact
that "when the Prime Minister
needs medical attention he goes
to a U. S. Military hospital"
"I have been diplomatic in my
reference to 'excellent relations'
between Grenada and the United

Maurice Bishop Murder Trial 1
President Haynes Refuses Stay 6
Redhead Recounts Fight 7
Mother Teresa Visits 9
Alexis Addresses Chamber 9
Sir Paul Signs "Friendship Scroll" 10
Teacher Training Programme 10
News Shorts 11

States,", he said, "instead of
describing it as 'a position of
dependance and subserviance',
though the latter expression more
closely applies"
Those good relations, he said,
should make it easy to get the
documents through diplomatic
channels but, if that failed, action
should be taken through the U S
On the following day (July 4th),
referring to the documents the
United States are alleged to have
taken away from Grenada, the
Chief Justice said his Court does
not have authority to compel a
foreign Government to deliver
The Chief Justice said a
subpoena had been served on the
Unites States Authorities in
Grenada who had claimed
diplomatic immunity and had

17Th AUGUST 1973

denied possession of the

According to the accused, these
documents are required to prove
the attendance of persons at
certain meetings, and Mr Byron
said he did not consider this was
necessary. That attendance and
the whereabouts of indiviidualsat
a particular time could beproved
by oral testimony, he said.

The Chief Justice said he was not
prepared to stop the trial pending
the obtaining of documents
which are not immediately
Bernard Coard, John Ventour
and Leon Cornwall all
expressed dissatisfaction with
Mr Byron's ruling, the latter in
such a manner tkatlt one time, it
appeared that the Chie Justice
would cite him foridatenmpt
Although Cornwall was actually
put in the witness box prior to
being cited, the Chief Justice did


amatiC immunitv anti had








I i

Page 2 Saturday 19th July 1986 The Grenada aevsletter

not make the charge against him, explaining instead
that, if he, (Byron) had made an errorin his ruling,
the proper time for the accused to protest would be
before the Appeal Court.
Mr George Louison, who had given evidence
previously, was then sworn but, before e could be
asked any questions, the accused chanted and
stamped and were removed from the Court.
Accused Hudson Austin, whose presence at a
meeting of the New Jewel Movement Central
Committee on 14th to 16th September 1983 is in
dispute, was theq brought back in and the Chief
Justice asked Mr Jolison whether Austin had been
at that meeting.

Austin immediately began to chant and clap with Mr
Louison shouting his answer above the noise to the
effect that Austin was at the meeting but had arrived

When the other accused were brought in, one by
one, they all declined to cross examine Mr Louison.

The next sitting of the Court was on Monday 7th
uly and, at that time, the accused returned to the
complaint that they are unable to defend themselves
unless certain documents, alleged tohave been taken
away by the United States Authorities after the
military intervention of Octopber 1983, are returned
to them.

accused Bernard Coard told Chief Justice Dennis
Byron these documents are needed to prove the
whereabouts of certain people at particular times.
It does nor appal he said, that the Trial has
oved "from one vulgarity to another" and that
"thereisnow no pretense at fair and freetrial".

What does appal him, he said, is that the Court and
he Government of Grenada have made no effort to
et the documents.
"Very powerful forces are determined that the truth
all not come out", Coard said. "But, those who
ant to kill us better beware because, just a few
ears ago, there was Watergate and there were the
Pentagon Papers". '

White House involvement in the Watergate break-in
as disclosed in U S Senate hearings i 1973, and
blicationin 1971 of classified Pentagon Papers by
e "New York Times" and "Wasina on Post"
exposed United States involvement in Vietnam.
"Those documents will be published sooner or
after Coard said, "and the truth will come out.
Those who participated in this so-called trial will be
exposed. The dayof reckoning will come, whether
am around or not"
reply to Coard's query as to whether there had
een any "retinkin" on efforts to get the
documents, the Chief Justice said his ruling of the
previous Friday stood.
At that time, Mr Byron said his Court does not have
e authority to compel a foreign 'Government to
deliver documents. A subpoena had been served
the United States Authorities in Grenada, he
id. They had claimed diplomatic immunity and
ad denied possession of the documents..

Also addressing the Court, accused Selwyn
Strachan said every effort should be made to secure
the documents.
"If it is necessary to waive certain fundamental legal
principles in order to get our documents", he said.
then that ought to be done".
Strachan said also that the thue nature of the case
must be realized.
"This is a political case", he said, 'and decisions
takeninWashingtonare implemented inthis Court".
The Chief Justice stopped him at this point with the
comment "t is time I put a to this", but Mr
Byron did iot take immediate action and it was not
known whether Strachan would be cited for
Evidence was taken on this day (July 7th) from the
Magistrate's Clerk who was present at the
Preminary Inquiry (P I) and from Dr Gail
Husbands Friday who has recently attended to Miss
Jemma Bullen, a witness who gave evidence at the
The doctor testified that Bullen was unfit to take the
witness stand and the Clerk said she heard Bullen
give evidence at theP I.

When the Court sat on July 8th, the accused asked
for the "criminal records" of two Prosecution
witnesses and challenged the competence of
another two.
"I want to make an application for the criminal
records of Walter Charles and Christopher Bowen",
accused Christopher Stroude told Chief Justice
Byron, "as well as the prison files of these two

Walter Charles testified to havg been present at
Fort Rupert when the armoured cars arrived on
October 19th 1983, and Christopher Bowen said he
was at Camp Fedon and saw the bodies of Maurice
Bishop and others burned and buried.
Prosecution Leader Mr Karl Hudson-Phillips Q C
said a check would be made to see if there are
criminal records for these two witnesses but said
such records cannot be subpoenaed. The
Prosecution could however, give information to the
Court, he said.
The accused asked also for certain documents
which, they say, are vital to their defence. These
include, and are mainly, letters written by some of
the accused to Governor General Sir Paul Scoon,
Mr Nicholas Brathwaite, Chairman of the Interim
Administration and Officers of the Caribbean
Peacekeeping Force.

Prosecution Leader, Mr Hudson-Phillips, undertook
to get for the accused as many of these documents
as are available.
When Barbadian Police Sergeant Colin Brathwaite
was sworn in to give evidence, accused Selwyn
Strachan objected. Sergeant Brathwaite was not
competent to testify, Strachan said, and he asked
that the witness leave the Court so he could give his


The Grenada Newsletter Saturday 19th July 1986 Page 3

"Brathwaite was a member of an invading and
occupying force in October 1983", Strrachan said
after Brathwaite had left the Court-room. "That
invasion was illegal according to international law
and so Brathwaite is not legally competent to give
evidence in this matter in this Court."
In the absence of the jury, The Chief Justice
investigated this and other charges of the accused.
Then, Sergeant Brathwaite was called back to give
evidence but, as has been their practice, the accused
chanted and clapped and had to be removed from the

The Sergeant's evidence referred to the witness
Miss Jemma Bullen. Sergeant Brathwaith testified
o having heard Miss Bullen give evidence at the
Preliminary Inqry and to having taken her to the
office of Dr a Husbands Friday, the medical
practitioner who gave evidence on July 7th.

)r Friday said in her evidence that Bullen was not
it to take the witness stand but Selwyn Strachan
challenged this.

"There is not enough evidence to show Jemma
Bullen is unable to come to the witness box", he
said, "Dr Friday is not a specialist."

The Chief Justice said there is no evidence to say Dr
Friday is not a specialist and that the accused had
ot cross examined her on her qualifications.

"It was the duty of the Prosecution to establish her
as a specialist", Strachan said. "In the interest of
justice, they should have gone to every length to
prove her competence"
When the Court rose on this day (July 8th),
arguments on the admissibility of Miss Bullen 's
written testimony had been exhausted and, the
following day, the Chief Justice ruled against
admission of that testimony.
Mr Byron said the Prosecution had fully established
conditions for her testimony to be read, but the
Chief Justice said it is not mandatory for him to
allow thisevidence.
The nature of the testimony, he said, is such that the
demeanour of the witness should be seen by the
ury. Since there was no evidence to say when the
witness would be well enough to testify, the Chief
Justice said, he did not feel he should adjourn to
await that evidence to be given orally or allow the
written testimony to be read to the jury.
Mr Byron also instructed the jury to return a verdict
f "not guilty" against one of the accused in relation
to two of the 11 counts.

"As a matter of law, the Prosecuition has led no
evidence to support the charge against Cecil Prime
for the murders of Avis Ferguson and Jemma
Belmar", the Chief Justice said, "and you are
required to return verdicts of 'not guilty' on both

t precisely 10.41 am on this day, July 9th, the
th day of sittigs since the jury was empanneled
on April 18th, the Prosecution closed its case after
calling witnesses.
"Your Lordshio. ladies and genttemen of the iurv

that is the case for the Prosecution," Prosecution
Leader, Mr Hudson-Phillips said.

The Chief Justice said he was about to call on the
accused for their defence and, in view of Mr
Hudson-Phillips undertaking, given on the day
before, to try to secure for the accused certain
documents they feel are vital to their defence, he
adjourned the Court early.

When Mr Byron sat next day, 10th July, Mr
Hudson-Phillips reported on the results of his
search for the documents.

"The Prosecution gave an undertaking to provide the
accused with copies of such documents as we have
been able to get hold of," he said. "Copies available
up to yesterday have been delivered to the six
accused requesting same and I have a further bundle
which I now hand to the Registrar"

In reply to an inquiry directed to Bernard Coard by
the Chief Justice as to how much time would be
required for the study of these documents, Coard
said that depended on how soon the accused
received the documents.

'Let me make it clear", Mr Hudson-Phillips said,
"that we have given no undertaking to provide all
the documents. We do not know what is available
but, by this afternoon, we will have exhausted our
Coard told the Chief Justice the accused will need
72 hours for study "provided the Prison Authorities
allow us to make full use of that time". And he
complained again of being in a cell without a light
and of being in a cell block with mentally deranged
prisoners who make noise all night.
No Sleep
"I had no sleep last night", he said, "Please, can I
spend the 72 hours in ano::er cell with a light and
away from the noise. Seventy two hours is a short
time and it must be spent meaningfully"
At the request of Selwyn Strachan, Mr Byron said
the Deputy Registrar would make available to the
accused such !aw books as they identify and are
The Chief Justice adjourned the Courtuntil Monday
14th July, at which time, he said, he would call on
the accused to present their defence.
Both Bernard Coard and Ewart Layne told the Chief
Justice they wished to make submissions to the
Court before any of the accused are called upon to
make their defence.
When the Court sat again on Monday 14th July,
however, the accused said they had not yet received
all the documents they have asked for but Director
of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Mrs Hylton Q C, said
all the documents which had been found had been
given to the accused.

"We very much appreciate the assistance the
Prosecution has given us in this connection",
accused Liam James said, "but we have still not
received two essential documents, the Prison
Medical Journal and the Prison Medical files".

James said Mr Hudson-Phillips had indicated that


Pag 4 Saturday 19th July 1986 The Grenada Newsletter

the accused could getthe information they wished if
they gave the Deputy Registrar specific dates, and
this information had been given to the Deputy
"'If the information is in the hands of the Deputy
egistrar", the DPP said, "copies can be made of
entries mentioned by the accused. Those
ents are in the custody of the Prison
authorities and I do not wish to have anything to do
ith this because the accused have expressed the
on that they have no confidence in the
os tion"

e Chief Justice then called on Coard to make his
submission but Coard said Mr Byron might wish to
consider the circumstances in which it should be

"The nature of the submission is of a very sensitive
character he said, "and you may feel the Court
y wish to hear it in the absence of the jury"
Te jury was then taken from the Court-room.
hen the Court adjourned, Coard had been making
hs submission for some three and three-quarter
ours but this cannot be reported as these
eedings of the Court were conducted in the
absence of the jury.
NWSLETTER learned, on July 15th, that, on the
y before, lawyers representing the accused had
led another Motion to be heard by the Appeal
hat Court is scheduled to sit in Grenada on July
1st and, already, there is to be heard by that
urt the Defence Motion alleging contravention of
e accused constitutional rights and asking the
Court to quash the trial as a "nullity"
he new Motion, filed on July 14th, asks that,
ithe Appeal Court can hear the Motion already
eforeit, tat Court stop the proceedings inthe Trial
ow being presided over by Chief Justice Dennis

Meanwhile, in that Trial, on July 15th acc-ised
Bernard Coard continued to address the Court for
ome 50 minutes in the absence of the jury.
he Court adjourned for about an hour on that day
while certain Prison documents were examined by
e accused under the supervision of the Deputy
registrar. Accused Layne addressed the Court, but
ere was an early adjournment, to permit a witness
uired by the accused to be called for the next
ay's sitting.
he Trial entered a new phase on July 16th when
e Chief Justice called on the accused to present
eir defence.

ost of the two previous days had been spent in
missions by accused Bernard Coard an Ewart
Layne. These submissions were made in the
sence of the jury but, following rulings by Mr
Byron, the jury was returned to the Court-room on
ul 16th and the first accused, Andy Mitchell, was
ed upon to present his defence.
'The law considers you innocent until you are
roved eilty" Mr Byrontold Mitchell. "and. if vou

wish. you may remain silent"
The Chief Justice said Mitchell could make a sworn
statement and be subject to cross-examination, or he
could make an unsworn statement from the Dock
and be immune from cross-examination. Mitchell
could also call witnesses if he wished.
"It is entirely your choice", Mr Byron said.
Mitchell elected to speak from the Dock. He is
innocent of the charges, he'said, and he would
prove this in a "free and fair trial".

Accused Vincent Joseph also chose to speak from
the Dock, and he too protested his innocence.
Joseph hopes, he said, there will be, one day, an
"impartial judge and jury" before whom he will
establish that innocence.
The third accused, Calistus Bernard, also spoke
from the Dock.
" I stand here an innocent man" he said. "The
charges brought against me are a total frame up. I
am being used as a scapegoat to cover up the illegal
invasion of Grenada by the United States."
Bernard said the U S "propaganda machine" has
been putting forward a false picture of the events of
October 1983 so that that version can be "seen as
the truth"
"They (the U S ) wanted desperately to overthrow
the Grenada revolution at all costs and kill the
leadership of the New Jewel Movement", he said,
"as well as create the necessary conditions to
institute a neo-colonial policy in Grenada"
Bernard recounted his experiences since he was
"kidnapped" by the "invaders" and said, because
the "invasion" is illegal, his presence inthe dock is
also illegal."
"This is my country", he said. "I was born here.
You cant invade my country and n enthink up some
fancy charge to kill me
Mitchell and Vincent were very short in their
addresses. Bernard spoke for an hour and a half
before the adjournment and, on the following day
(June 17th), the jury heard, from the Defence point
of view, some details of the events at Fort Rupert
on 19th October 1983.
Continuing his statement from the Dock, Bernard,
spoke for three and a quarter hours on June 17th.
"I wish to destroy the false version established by
the United States forces', he said, "and put in its
place the facts of what happened on 19th October
On October 19th, Bernard said, after Prime Minister
Maurice Bishop had been freed by a large crowd
and taken to Fort Rupert, he went to Fort Frederick
where he spoke with Officer Cadet Conrad Mayers.
At Fort Frederick, he said, information was
received that Fort Rupert, t he headquarters of the
Peoples Revolutionary Army (PRA) had been
"overrun" by civilians and they had taken over the
"Operations Room"

-- I

The Grenada Newsletter Saturday 19th July 1986 Page 5

"That is the nerve centre of the Army", he said, "all
security plans and documents are kept there. If the
enemy controls there, you are defeated without a
shot being fired".

Of the crowd at Fort Rupert, Bernard said.
"thousands and thousands were ordinary
Grenadians" but among them were "spies, CIA
plants and anti-social elements".
"There 'were even signs saying 'God Bless
America'", he said, "something that was never seen
in Grenada before".
Mayes told him, Bernard said, he had orders from
(accused) Lieutenant Colonel Ewart Layne to restore
order at Fort Rupert, get the civilians out, assess the
damage done and organise the defence of
They decided to use three armoured cars, he said,
and left Fort Frederick riding on top of the cars,
proceeding on "a legal and lawful mission".
On arriving at the junction of the main road and the
entrance to Fort Rupert, Bernard said, the convoy
was "ambushed".
A soldier was shot at this point, he said, and as the
cars proceeded towards the Fort, they were under
heavy rifle fire.
"Bullets were flying over my head", Bernard said.
"Automatic rifle fire was coming from the direction
of the Fort but I could not tell where it was comim
from and I instructed the soldiers to keep low."

Bernard gave the order to dismount, he said. His
objective was to reach the upper part of the Fort but'
the soldiers were "bogged down' for some two or
three minutes by the 'hundreds of people straming
from the Fort as a result of the battle ensuing from
the ambush".
"Some people actually heaved (jumped) over the
Fort", he said, "some sprained their feet, some
broke hands and some even died"
When he arrived at the lower parade square,
Bernard said, he saw a soldier bleeding from four
shots in his chest, another with a wound in his leg
and Mayes streaming blood from two "holes" in his
"There was Mayers on the ground", he said, "a dear
friend, a brother in arms,a comrade, the verybest of
our Field Commanders and well loved by all".

Bernard said he saw a soldier pull the pin from a
hand grenade "in anger" and was about to throw it at
he main building. The man was "trembling like a
eaf", he said, and Bernard took the grade from
him and threw it over a wall.
"It was in the context of how they were feeling that
these soldiers, who were sent there to r store order,
held a number of persons prisoner", he said. "It
was in this atmosphere of anger and rage, chaos and
confusion that a number of people died at Fort
Rupert on 19th jtober 1983."
Bernard said this is the most "honourable position"
he can take. People did not go to Fort Rupert
with blood in their eye", he said, the soldiers were


on legall mission" to restore order.
Bernard said there were demonstrations in St
Georges on 18th and 19th October 1983 but the
army did not fire on the crowds. Nor did they fire
when the crowds freed Maurice Bishop.
"But when people take over a military objective it is
a different matter", he said. "The action by th
Army was a defensive one in restoring order in our
Bernard said he has searched his conscience,
without success, to find if there was anything he
could have done to avert what happened at Fort
"Even if I die", he said, "I will die with my boots on
as a soldier and my boots will be a symbol to the
youths of the path I have trod. It is a hard part, but
it is one of heroism."
Following Bernard, accused Cosmos Richardson
made a short statement from the Dock protesting his
innocence and he was followed by accused Lester

Redhead had spoken for some 30 minutes when the
adjournment was taken on the 17th June, and he
took the line that, if the "true Lester Redhead" is
known, it will be realized that he could not be
Going bark to his early childhood at age 13, when
he sold the New Jewel Movement newspaper, he
outlined his background to the Court in some detail
and, on the following day, July 18th, completed a
marathon four and a quarter hour address in his

In that address, Redhead told the Chief Justice and
the jury that the ":Yankees" have painted a false
picture of him as a "monster" who shot Prime
Minister Bishop before slitting Bishop's throat and
cutting off his finger.
Redhead claimed, too, that it is the "Americans"
who have him on trial and that the real charge is not
"The principal reason the U.S. has me on trial", he
said, 'is because of my role in the defence of my
country when the U S violated international law
and, on the flimsiest of reasons, invaded Grenada"
The former Captain in the Peoples Revolutionary
.Army (PRA) recounted his part in the defence of
Grenada during the intervention and boasted that,
while the PRAwas defeated, the Grenadian soldiers
had the moral victory.
"The Americans have tried to mislead the public that
their losses were only 19 killed", he said, "but I,
Lester Redhead tell them they lie. In orderto take
shame out of their eyes, they say the men who died
in Grenada got killed in Lebanon"
Redhead also recounted his role on 19th October
1983, the day of the incident at Fort Rupert in which
Bishop and others were killed.
He arrived at Fort Rupert, he said, driving a small
van and saw "hundreds of civilians" there. As he

Page 6 Saturday 19th July 196 The Grenada Nslttr

rked the van, he was arrested by a civilian, Ewart Layne who instructed me to return to Fort
samed, and taken to the "Operations Room". Rupert and take charge of the situation. On my
return to Fort Rupert, some of the people I had
"I was dumb struck to see the number of people in detained, I saw dead. They are some of the
at room", he said. "That is the most sensitive deceased in this case."
ea of Army Headquarters where all confidential
documents relative to defence are stored and I saw Redhead says, in spite of the fact that former PRA
papers and maps strewn everywhere" soldier, Beverley Ann Charles,a "representative of
Washington", testified that he was there and that he
Bishop was in that room, Redhead said, and some had slit Bishop's throat and cut off his finger, he
0 minutes later, he heard rapid automatic fire. was not at Fort Rupert when the "so-called
execution" took place.
"Because of my appreciation of the judging of
sounds", he said, "I could tell that the shooting was "She sent a message to me after the Preliminary
coming from the Fort towards the entrance." Inquiry to say she had been forced to say what she
Blilets did', he said, "and I am willing to prove this when
Bullets then started to hit the Operations Room, he there is a free and fairtrial"
aid, and he jumped out of a back window where he
saw a "Sergeant Peters with his face blown away" Grenadians are now hearing, for the first time, the
truth of the events of October 1983, Redhead said,
He also saw a number of civilians in the yard and he and he is sure people willnow begin to question the
called them to join him in one of the tunnels of the matter.
Fort to escape the "bullets which were flying
everywhere" Running up the tunnel, he detained "I don't expect justice from this Court", he told the
some people" and then left immediately for Fort Chief Justice, "but history will prove me innocent"
Frederick to report to his superior officers.
...' : ,, : ~ ,,, ",:
"The situation was in total chaos", Redhead said, .-. .. .
"At Fort Frederick I reported to Lieutenant Colonel


Mr Justice Joseph Oscar Fitz-Clarence Haynes, President of the Grenada Appeal Court, sitting on June 30th
in the role of (as he described it) an assigneee" of the Court, heard arguments on the Motion filed by the
Defence inthe Maurice Bishop MurderTrial.
Mr Haynes said the other two judges of the Appeal Court had been unable to come to Grenada at short
notice. He would not consider the merits of the Motion, he said, but would hear arguments on the
Defence's application for a stay of the proceedings ithe Trial.

This Motion, according to the Defence, was first taken to Chief Justice Dennis Byron "in chambers" and,
whenhe declined to heart, it went before Mr Justice James Patterson in the High Court
The Motion alleges contraventions of the accused constitutional rights and asks that the Trial, now
proceeding before the Chief Justice, be stopped until the merits of the Motion can be argued before the
Appeal Court.

Mr Patterson ruled that he did not
have jurisdiction to hear the
matter and arguments before Mr
Haynes first centered on
whether, as a single judge of the
Appeal Court, he had the
jurisdiction to order a stay of
proceedings in the Trial.

yanese barrister Mr Clarence
ughes, Senior Counsel,
by Jamaican barrister
Ilan Ramsay, argued that he
d havethat jurisdiction.
Hughes said that, if Mr
aynes considers that he does
not have the jurisdiction, then he
should issue a stay of
oceedings on the Trial judge,
d convene a sitting of the full
Court as soon as possible
that there will not be the
absurdity" of having the Motion
reard after there has been a
decision in the Trial.
otr he Prosecution Trinidadiann

barrister Mr Karl Hudson-
Phillips Q C and Guyanese
barrister Mr Doodnauth Singh
opposed the proposition that Mr
Haynes could issue a stay on the
Tnal proceedings.

Mr Hudson-Philips said that, if a
stay is to be obtained, it must be
applied for in the Trial Court.
Arguments were not completed
on June 30th, and when the
Court sat again on July Ist,
arguments touched on a matter
which may be vitalin the Maurice
Bishop Murder Trial.

One of the alleged violations set
out in the Motion is that the trial
is proceeding in the absence of
the accused, and this relates to
Section 8 of the Genada
That Section says a man has a
right to be present at his own trial
but, "if he so conducts himself as
to render the continuance of the

proceedings in his presence
impracticable", the judge ma
have him removed from the
During the past weeks, the
accused have so conducted
themselves as to make the
continuance of the tria
impracticable in their presence.
They have chanted, clapped and
stamped and have had to be
removed from the Court-room,
but the Defence pointed to a
proviso in that section.

That proviso says the trial may
take place inthe absence of the
accused, long as no
punishment of death or
imprisonment (other than
imprisonment in default of
payment of a fine) is awarded in
the event of a conviction".
Mr Haynes,at this time, gave no
ruling on the interpretation of that
proviso but he said it would be

For te Prsecut on H i adia

---`-~---~~--~- --


The Grenada Nevsletter Saturday 19th July 1986 Page 7
of great importance in deciding the uriusdiction, he said, he In his judgement, President
whether there has been, on the would also have to decide Haynes expressed his personal
face of it, any contravention of whether he should exercise it to view on the constitution
constitutionalrights. stop the Trial. question as to whether the
accused are being tried in their
For the Defence, Messrs Hughes Delivering his judgement on July absence, contrary to provisions
and Ramsay said the provso is 2nd, Mr laynes dismissed the of the Constitution.
clear. The accused are being Defence application for a stay of
tried in their absence and thus proceedings in the Trial. Mr Haynes personal view is that
their constitutional rights are what the Constitution demands
eingviolated. In his nearly-two-hours-long is not that the person charged
judgement, he said neither Mr should be present for the trial,
For the Prosecution, Messrs Justice Patterson or himself had but that they should be prese
udson-Phillips and Singh said jrisdiction to hear the Motion. when sentence is being passed.
the proviso does not apply to the When constitutional questions
present situation. arise in the High Court, Mr "I find it impossible to believe",
Haynes said, they must be he said, "that the constitution
What the proviso means, they answered in that Court. makers intended that you should
say, is that a man who is not not be able to try and convict a
resent in the country cannot be The proper person to have heard man for murder as long as he
red and sentenced to the Motion, he said, was the was disrupting the Court"
imprisonment or death. Chief Justice in whose Court the
questions arose, and there would
Reserving his judgement, Mr have been an automatic stay of
Haynes said he was not certain the Trial as Mr Byron would
he had jurisdiction to act in this have had to stop the Trialin order
matter. If he did decide he had to hear the Motion.
Lester Redhead, alias "Goat", one of the accused in the Maurice Bishop Murder Trial, played a key role in
the defence of Grenada against the military intervention of the United States which began on 25th October

Making an unsworl statement from the Dock on July 18th, Redhead, who held the rank of Captain in the
Peoples Revolutionary Army, after giving his version of the events at Fort Rupert on 19th October 1983
when Prime Minister Maurice Bishop and others were gunned down, told the Court of developments
following thatday.
"On Saturday 22nd October", he said, "I was summoned to the wartime military command post at Fort
Frederick (see map on page 8) and given the commission to organise an infantry company to defend the
Grand Anse beachhead against landing and to repel and destroy"
On the next day (Sunday 23rd), however, this order was changed. Redhead had had his Company
stationed at Quarantine Station Point, a peninsular south of and overlooking Grand Anse Beach. He was
given the new assignment of dt "ending the town of St Georges "because of the new appreciation of the
.enemy situation" .

St Georges, nestling around a natural land-locked
harbour, is surrounded by an ampitheatre of hills.
To the north, the terrain rises to some 400' before
falling sharply to a river and the playing fields at
Queens Park.
To the east of the town, Fort Frederick sits on the
summit of the narrow 700' Morne Jaloux ridge
running north and south, that ridge, to the east,
dropping a few hundred feet to the "Bocas" area and
the suburb of St Pauls.
To the south, the Morne Jaloux ridge falls off and
gives place to gentle, rolling hillocks, covered
mainly by grasslands and extending through
Grenaa's main tourist area to Point Salines
International Airport atthe southerntip of the island.
Redhead's orders he said, were to defend St
Georges on a front extending from the Mt. Pandie
beach, just south of St Georges, to the Queens Park
paying fields to the north, and he set up his
comand post in the Roman Catholic Presentation
College, on the.northern slope of the Town.
His Company of ihree platoons maintained their
defensive position in and around St Georees until

the early morning hours of Tuesday October 25th,
and then there was another change of orders.
' "Fro about 04.00 hours", Redhead said, "I heard
planes circling overhead and the Deputy Chief of
Staff came and gave me a new mission. He
ordered me to concentrate in the MtParnassus area"
On his way to carry out this order, Redhead was
given new instructions by radio. He was to proceed
to Grand Anse, some four miles to the south but he
was not to go beyond the drive-in cinema which is
located about mid-way between Grand Anse beach
and the airport.

Dawn was approaching as Redhead and his troops
got into the rand Arise area He could see
planes circling, it was becoming dangerous to be on
the road and the soldiers moved off the highway "to
avoid bombing", he said.
From his command post which he set up close to the
the road junction near to the" Sugar Mill" night club,
Redhead saw paratroopers jumping to the south
over the airport and a United States "exploration
helicopter" began to circle out from above the

. ,, ; -- ,. _,- .- r-;_l-|,-

Page 8 Saturday 19th July 1986 The Grenada Nevsletter

I gave instructions this helicopter was to be
destroyed". Redhead said, "and it was shot down
by my men"
Within minutes after the helicopter was shot down,
he said, U S ground troops were observed moving
up the highway from the airport. These troops
encountered his Number One platoon deployed on
his right flank, he said, and the U S unit was
All this took place within 45 to 60 minutes after he
had set up his command post; Redhead said, and he
now sent out a reconnaissance unit in the Point
Salines direction, at the same time, digging in his
latoons, to withstand the attack of the main U S
forces expected to move up from the airport.
here was a period, he says, in which, because of
"jamming", le was out of touch with his men and
with the wartime military command post at Fort
Frederick and, about this time, his troops shot down
another US helicopter.

The reconnaissance unit reported that the main body
of U S troops were not advancing directly towers
him but were moving along the coast and were in
the area of the Fishing School at True Blue.
Meanwhile, the platoon on his right flank had run
intotrouble. Redhead did not say why that platoon
begun an advance towards the airport but he said
that, having moved in that direction, they met U S
resistance nd were neutralizedd"
"On the night of the 25th", he said, I pulled back
te Company leaving machine gunners at our
sts and on the next day, Wednesday 26th, I
ecded to burst through the American resistance
aint True Blue"
Three armoured cars were needed to help him
achieve this, Redhead said, and he asked the
wartime military command post at Fort Frederickto

send this equipment to him.

He was instructed to wait and it appears that those at
Fort Frederick decided to handle the mater
'The armoured cars did not report to me", Redhead
said, "they proceeded directly into True Blue, fell
into the trap and were neutralized".
Redhead said that, while the PRA was ultimately
defeated, the moral victory belongs to the Grenadian
soldiers who, with so small numbers, were able to
put up a fight against he might of the U SArmy.
"We had their principal unit pinned down for days",
he said, and, on the 26th and 27th, because of
misinformation, they began to bomb their own
On Friday 28th, Redhead left his command post to
confer with another PRA officer at a command post
at John Anglais, on the outskirts of St Georges.
"From John Anglais", he said, I could see all the
south coast and saw the fighter bombers,
helicopters and gun-boats start a heavy
bombardment of thatcoast.

Gun boats in the Lance aux Epines area were
bombing his positions in the Grand Anse area, he
said, and, from John Anglais, it was decided to
send out reconnaissance units.
"We had no radio communications", he said, "and
some of the units sent out never came back"
On Friday 28th, Redhead said, U S troops were
moving in on St Georges and he had to 'make a
getaway". He was captured on Saturday 29th.

( . :

V ffSdWpet "
Effif T
&sedad St.Gerg

Mt. PandiE
Caribbean Sea C


Quarantine Station Point '

Point Salines Airport

Queens Pa
x Presen
w livr~

rk x Mt.Parnassus
station Colleqe
x The "Booas" St PEaUt
Fort Frederick'

SxJohn Anglais

Grand Anse Area

S"Sugar-Mill" Night Club
._./ Lance Aux Epines

~ 111 11 1*11 1 ~ ~ ~- .n= ~i~m~r,~ --Lm~l---- -- aaRi

...~ ~~


tic Ocean

The Grenada Newsletter Saturday 19th July 1986 Page 9

Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Foundress and Head of the Roman Catholic Community of the "Missionaries of
Charity", arrived in Grenada on July 3rd for an official visit to members of her Community here.
"The Sisters of the Community in Grenada seem to be very happy" she said in an interview with
NEWSLETTER "there have been here only one year but they have been well received by the people and
have a great chance to serve Jesus in this country."
Recipient of both the Nobel Peace Prize and Pope John XXIII Peace Prize, Mother Teresa was born in
Yugoslavia 75 years ago and christened Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhhiu.

Beginning her religious life at the age of 18 at the
Convent of Our Lady in Calcutta, India, she took
her final vows nine years later. She then began to
teach at the Convent School but soon became aware
of the destitution and squalor outside the Convent
It was not until 1946, however, that Mother Teresa
resolved to do something about it and applied to her
Archbishop to be allowed to "live alone outside the
cloister among the poor of Calcutta with God alone
as protector and guide".
She was denied permission but applied 12 months
after with more success. On April 12th 1948, Pope
ius XII give her permission to leave the Convent,
remaining a nun under the jurisdiction of the
Archbishop of Calcutta.
Working among the poor, nursing, teaching and
performing the most menial of tasks intheir service,
other Teresa received generous help from many
quarters but realized she needed assistance
She then established her Community which, in
1950, was approved by Rome.
The "Missionaries of Charity" cover wide aspects of
medical and educational facilities, orphanages,
family Planning Centres, Leper Centres, Homes for
he Dying, Hostels for Alcholics and Dispenseries.
And the Community devores these services on a free
basis to "the poorest of the poor".

year ago, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Grenada,
ney Charles, invited establishment of the
"Missionaries of Charity" in Grenada. and four of
"Mother's daughters" took up residence here.

Three of these nuns hail from India and the fourth is
rom Grenada's sister island of Carriacou.

Mother Teresa told NEWSLETTER the Order has 4
houses in Haiti and, in addition to Grenada, is
established in the Caribbean in Puerto Rico and
Jamaica, but she could give no idea as to when
there will be Houses in other islands.
"We have 140 applications, world wide, for the
Community to establish itself in various countries",
she said.
After establishment of the Order in India in 1950,
other Teresa said, the first country, outside of
India, in which a House of the Community was
established was Venezuela.
"We now have 314 Houses in 75 countries", she
said, "and there are over 2.500 sisters in the Order."

Mother Teresa said she does not know who will be

her successor as Head of the Order and nobody is
being specially trained for that post.
"God knows the answer to that question", she said,
"If I can do this work, anybody can. If He finds
someone more competent than I, He will do still
greater things with her."
To be able to understand the poor, Mother Teresa
said, one must know what is poverty.
"Poor people are forced to be poor", she said, "but
we choose to be poor to be able to understand them
and speak their language. We take a vow to give
whole-hearted service not only to the poor, but to
the poorest of the poor"
The Order does not accept Government grants,
maintenance or salaries of any kind, she said.
"Our money comes from Above", she said, "there is
much goodness in the hearts of people and they all
want to share."
India, she said, is a Hindu country uot, .except for
some difficulties which can be expected in any
country, Christians are welcome there and are
growing in strength.

On this trip, before coming to Grenada, Mother
Teresa visited Communities of the "Missioneries of
Charity" in the United States. Originally, she had
been scheduled to arrive in Grenada on July 2nd,
but a breakdown of the aircraft in St Thomas, U S
Virgin Islands, disrupted plans.
Mother Teresa left Grenada on July 4th to the
Community in Puerto Rico and was scheduled after
to respond to an invitation to visit Cuba.


Minister of Labour, Dr Francis Alexis, addressing
the annual banquet of the Grenada Chamber of
Industry & Commerce on June 28th, paid tribute to
that organisation's successful lobby to get October
25th (the day the military intervention began in
1983) declared a public holiday as "Thanksgiving
"All of us in this country know the significance of
that day", he said, "and I trust that I tread on no
one's toes when I say that October 25th will go
down in our history as one of tremendous

The Minister said he did not confine himself to the
narrow issue of troops being landed, but he referred
to the broader atmosphere of the need, at all, for a
people to have felt a necessity to welcome foreign
troops on their soil.

-- ~--- ---

Page 10 Saturday 19th July 1986 The Grenada Nevsletter

"Ours must be a common
commitment and dedication to
ensuring that never again will the
we find ourself in any such
unfortunate situation", he said.
The Minister congratulated Mr
Bryan Pitt on his reelection as
Chamber President and said the
organization has an excellent
record in 1985.

"You chalked up a total of 138
Companies accounting for 212
individuals", he said, "twenty-
one of which Companies were
new ones and the quid pro quo
was a very small one, a loss of 5
Dr Alexis referred to
representations the Chamber
made to Government on behalf of
local manufacturers.

With the recent abolition of a
wide range of taxes to which
foreign manufactures were
subject and the introduction of a
Value Added Tax (VAT) to
which all manufactures are
subject, the local manufacturer
was at a disadvantage.

The Minister said Government
has come up with what he
believes to be an acceptable
formula for moving forward.
In respect of local manufactures ,
e said, "forty percent of the
value of these goods will be
en as the base for the Value
added Tax"
fectively, Dr Alexis said, 60%
f the value of local manufactures
Snow be exempt from VAT.

further, he said, unlike imports
which attract VAT each tie the
item changes hands from
importer through wholesaler,
ddle-man and retailer, VAT
be collected on local
manufactures only the first time
e item is sold.
he Minister announced also
at, for the protection of locally
manufactured alcohol and
cigarettes, an additional tax is to
e charged on these imported

. .. .' .. .


The Guiness "Friendship Scroll" touched down in Grenada on July
1st and was received here by Governor General Sir Paul Scoon at a
function at the Grenada Ramada Renaissance Hotel.
Guiness and Peter Dawson Ltd have put up more than EC$8 million
to sponsor the track and field events in the Commonwealth Games
which start in Edinburgh Scotland on 24th July.
The Scroll, carrying a goodwill message from the Commonwealth
Games Orgaisin Committee, the City of Edinburh and the Sponso
started its "Friendship Journey" in Edinburgh on 26th March.
The overseas section of the Journey began on May 6th. and, after
visitingmore that 40 countries, will end in Edinburgh on July llth.

Last stop before Grenada was St Lucia and the Scroll was brought
here by that island's 100 and 200 meter sprinter, JohnAlbertie, who
will take part in the Games.
The Scroll was signed by Sir Paul and by Albertie and was taken on
July 2nd to Trinidad by Grenada's top long-jumper, Anthony
Greenidge, who delivered itto that country sPresident Elis Clarke for
his signature.
( D~"~~~c"~~~"~


Sixty-five primary and secondary teachers from Grenada, Carriaco
and Peit Martinique are to participate in a six-week teachertrainig
programme in the United States sponsored b the United States
Agency for International Development (USAID).
Accortong to a release from the Ministry of Education, the teachers
will fi-st pursue a four-week course at the College of the Virgin
Islands with faculty from both the College and the University of the
West Indies providing classroom instruction.

Following this, the teachers will spend one week each in New York
and Was ington D C where they will visit public schools and teacher
training colleges.
Ad dressing an Orientation Programme for the teachers on June 18th,
Minister of Education, Mr George McGuire said the Grenadian society
is delicately poised to make new excursions into areas which can
release new energies for development of the country.
"If this is so", he said, "we must take very seriously the business of
training our people and preparing them for the future"
In spite of the threat of the "nuclear precipice", he said, if intelligent
action is taken, the catastrophes which "loom large" on the horison
can be avoided.

The Mlnister hoped the teachers would take the spirit of advent
with them as they begin the training programme and know that the
inevitable obstacles in they way can be overcome with intelligent

Mr McGuire thanked USAID for their sponsorship on the programme
and said Grenadian children have a sound future to look forward to
because of recognition of the need for teacher training.
The teachers leave for St Thomas, U S Virgin Islands, later in


iThe Grenada Newsletter Saturday 19th July 1986 Page 11


fhe Governments of Grenada and the United States
have signed an agreement under which the U S will
gve Grenada a grant of EC$10,800 for balance of
payments and budgetary support.
"he funds are being made available through the
Ignited States Agency for international Development
,his is the fourth grant for these purposes made by
iSAID since January 1984 and it brings the total to
Fhe Agreement was signed on June 30th.

PDefericerL4sr idfCL. I Milli .
Up to the time they withdrew from the Trial, the
overnmea of Grenada had expended over a
mi'iol East Caribbean dollars on the 8 Jamaican
bar.sts retained by the Court to defend 17 of the
19 accused who were unable, financially, to retain
This was disclosed by Prime Minister Herbert
81aize at the last meeting of the House of
Representatives in reply to a question by Leader of
the OppositiL, Mr Marcel Peters.
Mr Blaize said EC$300,000 was paid for briefing
and Court appearances, EC$455,900 in daily
.aUolvowces, 2C$52,580 for transport expenses,
EC$88,268.01 for air passages, EC$211,087.32
or hotel expenses and EC$9,540.84 for out-of-
ocket expensess making a total of
EC$ 1, 77,376.17.

"Mar .a w Dr "Proposed
lndependfni Senator Norris James proposed at the
uly 1st meeting of the Senate that the late
Tbeophi''s Albert Marryshow should be honoured
by legislation creating a "MarryshowDay".
Grenadian born Marryshow was the principal
tator for establishment of the West Indies
dertion which was formed in 1958 and went out
of being in 1962.
Marrys:oww's activities in promoting the idea of a
united English-speaking Caribbean earned him the
official title of "Father of Federation"

CaacFasarers "Reathemiqr
rFerron Lowe, Secretary/Manager of the Grenada
jane Farmers Association (GCFA) told the
'Association's third Annual General Meeting on July
6th that GCFA is going through a "reforming
More than 100 farmers attending the meeting heard
Mir Lcwe report that the ploughing programme,
undertaken last April, has been successful despite
The Grenada Sugar Factory nursery had distributed,
|his year, be said, nearly twice as many plants as

IMore f. S. Fisnae/A id

last year and over 31,000 plants had been delivered
to 42 farmers island-wide.

:Se : Greararer. Wad lo
Addressing Presentation College Graduation Da
ceremony on July 2nd, Governor General Sir Paul
Scoon said Grenadians must ask themselves
whether they are satisfied with the standard of
spelling and grammer which comes out of the
schools and the pronunciation of words on the

"Given our own financial limitation, it is sometimes
necessary to lower our sights", he said, "but this
should not be an impediment to achieving our
objectives in the quality of education in our
Sir Paul said, if Grenadians are not satisfied with
the standards exhibited, they should askwhether the
weaknesses are not a sign of lack of thoroughness
in classroom practices.

NewfwaffvsMi CCaW rtwfifdctio r
A training programme, undertaken by 5 Field
Officers from the CocoaRehabilitation Project, may
affect practices in Grenada's Cocoa Industry.
The two-week proramme, carried out at the
Hummingbird erhe Farm in Belize, was
financed bythe Canadian International Development
Agency (CIDA) which funds the Cocoa
According to the Goverrnment Information Service,
the Officers made two important observations
during their training.
One was the importance of permanent shade in
controlling insect pests and the other was a new
system of pruning designed to control the height of
cocoa trees.

Kixvisarartard~dsrrrrvcatW phrstopsG
Two 6-day Environmental Education Workshops
are being held this month (July) in Grenada.
Sponsored by the Ministries of Education, Tourism
and Agriculture, and by the Organisation of
American States, the workshops are open to a wide
circle of persons including school teachers,
representatives of the Hotel Association, Forestry
Division "and other groups interested in awakening
the desire to preserve and experience this beautiful
Participants will visit some of the proposed National
Parks and Protected Areas. The Grand Etang
National Park and the Fort George Cultural
Landmark have been chosen for attention as they
demonstrate an accurate cross- section of the island's
natural and cultural heritage.

Specimaflaepar D es PotectLocal Rum
Special Import Duties on imported alcohol have
been imposed to protect loca oduced rum
COilTX~gluD PAGE- 12

0 M Z PAGE 12

Page 12 Saturday 19th July 1986 The Grenada Newsletter
fws mhrs Frea Pame 11
With the removal of several taxes on imported goods and the imposition of the Value Added Tax on both
tocallyproduced and imported items local products havefound themselves at a disadvantage.
Responding to complaints, Government has now introduced "Special Import Durties" on imported alcoholic
Atax of EC$10.00 is now payable on every liquid gallon of Stout, Ale, Porter and Rum. On Whiskey,
Brandy, Gin and Vodka, the tax is EC$30.00 per liquid gallon.

19th July 1986

Cynthia Hughes

Printed & Published by the Proprietor
Aliste & Cynthia Hughes, Journalists
of Scott Street, St Georges, Greasda, Westindies
(ost Office Box 65: Phone [809] 440 2538: Telex 3473 Huson Ga)

Alister Hghes

Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8
REPORT xmlns http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitss xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.fcla.edudlsmddaitssdaitssReport.xsd
INGEST IEID EALHKI399_9OC4YY INGEST_TIME 2011-05-04T21:28:04Z PACKAGE AA00000053_00328