An Online Exhibit
UNIVERSITY GALLERY: FIFTY YEARS OF EXHIBITION CATALOGS
The opening exhibition of the University Gallery was an auspicious occasion. Turpin Bannister, Dean of the University of Florida College of Architecture and Fine Arts in the 1960s, wrote, “The inauguration of the University Gallery on March 1st 1965, marks the realization of a dream held over many years for a facility that will promote among all Floridians and our University community a livelier awareness, a more intimate concern, and a deeper appreciation of the world of the creative visual arts. Moreover, we regard this happy event as a fitting celebration of the fortieth anniversary of the establishment in 1925 of the first curriculum that has now developed into the College of Architecture and Fine Arts.”
Acting gallery director Roy Craven saw the inaugural exhibition, “Artists of the Florida Tropics,” as appropriate since the works of art represented scenes and subjects of Florida created by four major nineteenth century American artists: James Audubon, George Catlin, Winslow Homer, and George Inness. This exhibit was the first of fifty years of exhibitions presenting the best of faculty work, art from the gallery’s ever growing permanent collection, traveling exhibitions from major museums such as the Guggenheim Museum in New York, and exhibits from private collections.
The University Gallery’s permanent collection was assembled by Roy Craven and focused on South American and Asian artworks, modern painting, photographs and prints. In 1988, this collection was transferred to the new Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art allowing the University Gallery to become a contemporary art gallery with changing exhibitions and opportunities for project-based educational experimentation and interdisciplinary shows. The catalogs in this collection represent many of the exhibitions from 1965 through 2015.
The University Archives holdings include materials from the UF Art Galleries:
- The Grinter Gallery
- The Focus Gallery