← Back to University Archives
About The Alligator
The Florida Alligator was founded in 1906 as The University News, which was an independent, student-owned newspaper created to serve the University of Florida when it opened in Gainesville, Florida. In 1912, the newspaper became a part of the University of Florida administration and was renamed the Florida Alligator.
In the 1930’s, the Board of Student Publications, composed of faculty and students, established policies for the Office of Student Publications, which was responsible for operations of the Florida Alligator, the Seminole (UF yearbook), Florida Magazine, and the F Book (orientation magazine).
For many years, the Office of Student Publications was on campus, located in the basement of what was then the Florida Union and is now known as Dauer Hall. The Office was moved in 1968 to the third floor of the J. Wayne Reitz Union, situated across a lobby from the offices of Student Government. In 1973, the newspaper became independent of the University of Florida and moved off-campus. It has since been titled The Independent Florida Alligator.
The Alligator contains news about the University of Florida and more.
Content from UF includes:
- Sports: football, baseball, swimming, track, boxing, tennis, etc.
- UF Admissions and enrollment, including content pertaining to co-education and racial integration
- Student organizations: Band, Glee Club, Blue Key, Agriculture Club, ROTC, and more
- Expansion of campus
- Faculty and student accomplishments
- Announcements and notes about campus events
Content from outside the university includes:
- National college news, including college sports
- Local high school news
- Local community news
- Military notes and other government related news
Through its digital collections, the University of Florida offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that may contain offensive language or negative stereotypes. The University does not endorse the views expressed in such materials.