Ii I h h ]I
PROPOSED PASCO COUNTY
WATER RESOURCE PROTECTION MEASURES
1. Contract with a hydrologist or other qualified professional to review SWFWMD and other
related studies and prepare an analysis which will determine:
(1) How much groundwater pumpage is too much;
(2) What is the maximum amount of water that can be pumped before the system will
be unable to replenish itself;
(3) Based on regional growth rates, when is the "system" likely to be maxed out;
(4) Based on Pasco County's growth trends, how much water will Pasco need for its
own growth over the next 50 years?
2. Retain the services of an attorney who specializes in "water rights law" to:
(1) Advise and represent the County on an as needed basis; and
(2) Pursue any legal action determined to be needed and appropriate.
3. Form a Water Task Force to:
(1) Oversee studies;
(2) Educate the public and others;
(3) Coordinate and/or negotiate with other local jurisdictions and agencies;
(4) Lobby the governor and legislature on behalf of Pasco County; and
(5) Assist County staff in developing ordinances to protect the County's water
4. Add Goals, Objectives and Policies to the Conservation Element of the Comprehensive
Goal: To ensure an adequate supply of potable and non-potable water for Pasco
County's current and future residents while preventing environmental degradation from
consumptive use of Pasco County's water resources.
,J I l1l i ^~
Objective: To protect Pasco County's water resources.
Policies: Require management of all water resources in order to maximize
long term yield through such techniques as well-field rotation.
Establish maximum pumping limits.
Exercise local control over water resource permitting in Pasco
County by requiring local approval of all consumptive use wells
over 100,000 gpd.
Objective: To prevent environmental damage including saltwater intrusion and
dehydration of surface water features caused by excessive pumpage of water.
Policies: Monitor lake levels and wetland conditions in order to determine
when to halt pumping.
Require restoration of damaged environmental areas and lake