\ I .*-
TO: DONALD R. FEASTER, Executive Director
FROM: E. D. VERGARA, Director, Department of Interagency Coordination
RE: March Referendum SWFWMD Strategy (?)
This Is what we will begin doing January 5:
1. Prepare a letter pointing out the significance of the referendum and
the importance of its approval, and send it to area civic groups with an
offer to have someone make a presentation on the subject.
2. Make initial telephone contacts with major Chambers of Commerce, to
be followed by letter, offering to talk to each Chamber. This contact
will be used to also suggest that the referendum is a matter that will
affect the future of Florida through its relationship to the protection
-of flor4da's water resQurce, and the need for all citizens to be aware
of the need for its approval. Perhaps the Chambers can put us in con-
tact with other groups who become interested.
3. Make initial telephone contact, to be followed by letter, with all
major radio, television, and newspaper editorial staff and public affairs
program directors in an effort to obtain time on the air or part of a talk
show, or editorial support for approval.
4. Begin personal contact (through those on the staff holding membership
or through others who know club officers personally) with conservation and
environmental groups in an effort to obtain support.
5. Prepare a letter (to be accompanied by the informational sheet) to each
Board Member urging him to know or become familiar with the issues and be-
come involved in promoting support for the referendum.
However, before all of this is started, we need to know:
1. Who you, Mr. McAteer, Buddy and others have contacted or intend to con-
tact in order to prevent duplication.
2. How available are you and Mr. McAteer going to be for making appear-
3. Who else besides you, Mr. McAteer and myself will be making
4. Should I contact Governing and Basin Board Members who would likely
Sand effectively) be willing to make presentations?
5. How will the schedule for the
SWFWMD be determined, or has it?
contact with Senator Lewis or the
Governor and Senator Lewis within
I haven't heard. Is Mr. McAteer in
Suggest we (you, Mr. 1McAteer, Buddy and Bob Atchison) sit down and have
a strategy session so that we'll all know what's happening. So far, I'm
not sure who's in the driver's seat. If I am, I intend to start moving
full-force as soon as possible. If not, I need to be given guidance.