CODE OF ETHICS AND STANDARDS OF PRACTICE
FOR ENVIRONMENTAL PROFESSIONALS
The objectives of Environmental Professionals are to conduct their personal and
professional lives and activities in an ethical manner. Honesty, justice and courtesy
form a mural philosophy which, associated with a mutual interest among people,
constitute the foundation of ethics Environmental Professionals should recognize
such a standard, not in passive observance, but as a set of dynamic principles
guiding thell conduct and way of life. It is their duty to practice their profession
according to this Code of Ethics.
As the keystone of professional conduct is integrity, Environmental Profession
als will discharge their duties with fidelity to the public, their employers and clients,
and with fairness and impartiality to all It is their duty to interest themselves in
public welfare, and to be ready to apply their special knowledge for the benefit of
mankind and their environment.
The objectives of an Environmental Professional are:
1. to rec ognize and attempt to reconcile societal and individual human needs with
responsibility for physical, natural and cultural systems.
2. to promote and develop policies, plans, activities and projects that achieve
complementary and mutual support between natural and man-made, and pres-
ent and future components of the physical, natural and cultural environment.
As an Environmental professional I will:
1. be personally responsible for the validity of all data collected, analyses per
formed, or plans developed by me or under my direction. I will be responsible
and ethical in my professional activities.
2. encourage research, planning, design, management and review of activities in a
scent itically and technically objective manner. I will incorporate the best princi
ples of the environmental sciences lor the mitigation of environmental harm and
enhancement of environmental quality.
3 not condone misrepresentation of work I have performed or that was performed
under my direction.
4. examine all of my relationships or actions which could be legitimately inter-
preted as a conflict of interest by clients, officials, the public or peers. In any
instance where I have a financial or personal interest in the activities with which
they are directly or indirectly involved, I will make a full disclosure of that interest
to my employer, client or other affected parties
5. not engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation
6. not accept fees wholly or partially contingent on the client's desired result where
that desired result conflicts with my professional judgment.
GUIDANCE FOR PRACTICE AS AN
As an Environmental Professional I will:
1. encourage environmental planning to begin in the earliest stages of project
2. recognize that total environmental management involves the consideration of
all environmental factors including: technical, economic, ecological, and soci-
opolitical and their relationships.
3. incorporate the best principles of design and environmental planning when
recommending measures to reduce environmental harm and enhance envi-
4. conduct my analysis, planning, design and review activities primarily in subject
areas for which I am qualified, and shall encourage and recognize the participa.
tion of other professionals in subject areas where I am less experienced. I shall
utilize and participate in interdisiplinary teams wherever practical to determine
impacts, define and evaluate all reasonable alternatives to proposed actions,
and assess short-term versus long-term productivity with and without the
project or action
5. seek common, adequate and sound technical grounds for communication with
and respect for the contributions of other professionals in developing and
reviewing policies, plans, activities and projects
6 determine that the policies, plans, activities, or projects in which i am involved
are consistent with all governing laws. ordinances, guidelines, plans and policies,
to the best of my knowledge and ability
7. encourage public participation at the earliest feasible time m an open and
pirud tive atmosphere.
8 conduct my professional activities n a manner that ensures consideration of
technically and economically feasible alternatives.
ENCOURAGE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PROFESSION:
As an Environmental Professional I will.
I assist in maintaining the integrity and competence of my profession.
2 encourage education and research, and the development of useful technical
information relating to the environmental field
3. be prohibited from lobbying in the name of the National Association of Envi-
4. advertise and present my services in a manner that avoids the use of materials
and methods that may bring discredit to the profession.