- Robert Steinbach (Restoration Commission archaeologist) and B. C. Roberts (park superintedent) examining the foundations of an 18th-century blacksmith shop found after the demolition of the Bennett Hotel, looking West (in the background: Judson Property on left, Best House on right)
- Series Title:
- Old Blacksmith Shop (HSAPB Block and Lot Cards)
- Physical Description:
- St. Augustine Restoration, Inc.
- Publication Date:
- Physical Location:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Saint Augustine (Fla.)
26 Charlotte Street (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Old Blacksmith Shop (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Judson Property (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
- Spatial Coverage:
- North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine -- 26 Charlotte Street
- 29.895854 x -81.312086
- General Note:
- NOTE: this is not the Old Blacksmith Shop on the Judson Property (as noted on the card). The foundations of this masonry structure were uncovered by Restoration Commission archaeologist Robert Steinbach during a salvage archaeology excavation after the Bennett Hotel was demolished to create a temporary parking lot for the Castillo de San Marcos. Also note that this occured before A1A was re-routed to provide the current parking area at the Castillo.; This photograph ran with an article in the Florida Times Union on December 7, 1961.; Blacksmith foundations Smithy.; 426
- Source Institution:
- University of Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- System ID:
B8 L15 8SJ526 HISTORIC ST. AUGUSTINE HSAPB Classification PRESERVATION BOARD HSAPB Photo No. Blacksmith Shop(judson property) 26 Charlotte Street
HSAPB Site Description Former Photo Nos. Blacksmith foundations Smithy.
Photographer, Sponsor, Date 4x5 b&w gloss Roy... Negative Hank Drave of F.T.U.
Photo Users, Dates RES1-84