Earle Williams Newton

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Earle Williams Newton
Series Title:
Progress Photos Book No. 4
Uniform Title:
St. Augustine Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission Staff Members
Physical Description:
Mixed Material
Publisher:
St. Augustine Restoration, Inc.
Physical Location:
Box: 1NW22
Folder: STAFF

Notes

General Note:
Description of Earle Newton

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
System ID:
USACH00136:00007


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text


EARLE WILLIAMS NEWTON
Graduated from Amherst College magna oum lauded in 1938, received his Master's Degree from Columbia University in 1939 and continued doctoral study there in 1939-1940. After two years as director of historical research for the Webster Pblishing Company, he was chosen director of the Vermont Historical Society in 1942. In this capacity in the next eight years he founded and edited Ve l
A also its historical quarterly; wrote a history of the State, ,a t St initiated and edited Growth of Veaons, a protidtIn-volume series; served as Chairman of the Vermont Historio Sites Commission; Exeoutive Secretary, Vermont War History Commission; Secretary, Public Reoords Commission; and Exeoutive Officer, Vermont Evacuation Authority; and 1944-46 put in two years as Naval Historian in the Pacifio.
In 1949 while still the director of Vermont's Historical Soolety, he joined in founding A oa er io 1 e, which was to become perhaps this country's most suooeasful historical periodical; he served as the magazine's editor until 1954. Meanwhile, in 1950 Mr. Newton left Vermont to become Director of Old Sturbridge Village in Massahusetia.
In 1954 he left museum direction for two years of academic work; the first year to establish the Institute on Historical and Archival Management for Harvard and Badcliffe; the second to study English museum administration at the University of London as a senior Fulbright Fellow.
On his return to this country in 1956 Mr. Newton became Director of the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission's Bureau of Museums and Historic Sites and Properties. In this capacity he had charge of the State Museum and the development and interpretation of the State's eighteen major historical sites. He also served as Director of a new Arts and Sciences Center in Bridgeport, Conn., 1959-62. In 1959 he became Executive Director of St. Augustine Historical Restoration and Preservation Commission, a Florida state commission established to undertake the full restoration of the nations oldest city. In 1961 he also assumed duties as Director General of the National Quadrioentennial Commission, appointed by President Kennedy, and in 1965 as President of St. Augustine Restoration, Inc.
Mr. Newton has been, or is Executive Secretary of the American Assooiation of State and Local History (1946-1952); Secretary of the Society of American Historians (1948-494; Chairman of the New England Conference of Museus, 1953 and 1962; Vice President Northeast haseums Conference, 1958-59; and the recipient of awards from the Amerioan
Association of State and Local History and the American Institute of Graphlo Arts. He is a Fellow, International Academy of Arts and Letters.
In 1966 he was elected President of the Inter American Institute of Fine Arts, Inc.