This item is only available as the following downloads:
The original building was built as a residence about 1820, replacing a stone-and-wood structure. It was purchased by S. V. Benet (grandfather of the poet of the same name) and remodeled as a store in 1839, an enlarged version of the shop which he formerly operated in his house across the street.
The store was under continuous ownership of the
Benet family until 1883. It is typical of all such buildings of the era, having a business downstairs and family or rental living quarters upstairs.
Foundations were covered up by a modern building
in the 1920's, but were uncovered and re-used in our reconstruction.