(Pan American Building)
In the First Spanish Period (ends 1763) a one-story and apparently typical house stood on this spot. Later a second floor was added, and a wooden
wing at the rear further increased its usable space during the early 19th
century. It exemplifies an upper-class home of the times. Made principally of coquina, sealed inside and out with plaster, it encloses fireplaces. upstairs
and down which would have been added during the British occupation. In the living room the hearth is of unbreakable glass, giving the visitor a chance to
see the two earlier foundations lying 18 inches below today's level.
Adjacent is the Hispanic Garden, a replica of a typical Spanish formal garden in Europe with its well, pool, walks, benches, and flowers. In
the center stands a bronze statue by America's foremost woman sculptor, Anna
Hyatt Huntington. A gift of Mrs. Huntington, the sculpture illustrates the journey made incognito by Queen Isabella to ascertain her people's problems. The garden
itself was procured and lanscaped by the Women's Garden Clubs of northeast
Florida, who presented it to the Restoration Commission. In the late 18th century
a vegetable plot and orchard occupied.this land, owned and cultivated by a
priest, Father Hassett.