The western bastions of the Castillo de San Marcos, looking North, 1960

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
The western bastions of the Castillo de San Marcos, looking North, 1960
Series Title:
Castillo de San Marcos, Large Block and Lot Photographs
Physical Description:
Photograph
Publisher:
St. Augustine Restoration, Inc.
Publication Date:
Physical Location:
Box: 3-5

Notes

General Note:
ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA……..The northernmost outpost of Spain's former Caribbean empire, Castillo de San Marcos is today the most forceful reminder of the 235 year presence of the Spanish in the southeast of the United States. Like its nine wooden predecessors, the Castillo protected Spain's sea lane along the east coast of Florida, enforced the Spanish title to Florida, and defended the land against Englishe expansion. Castillo de San Marcos was begun in 1672 and finished in 1696, although the period was not one of continuous construction. The interior of the Castillo was re-designed in two stages, one in 1738-39 and the other in 1752-56. The work consisted in building rooms with arched roofs to support the terreplein. Previously, the terreplein had been supported by beams. The completion of the work left the interior of the Castillo substantially in the shape that it still remains.; -30-
General Note:
UFHSA Government House Research Collections

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
Castillo de San Marcos
System ID:
USACH00010:00015

Full Text




















































IkI
7

















~1~ 1




4


















t
















4a
of~ yeI























ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA........The northermost outpost of Spain's former Caribbean empire, Castillo de San Marcos is today the most forceful reminder of the 235 year presence of the Spanish in the southeast of the United States. Like its nine wooden predecessors, the Castillo protected Spain's sea lane along the east coast of Florida, enforced the Spanish title to Florida, and defended the land against English expansion. Castillo de San Marcos was begun in 1672 and finished in 1696, although the period was not one of continuous construction. The interior of the Castillo was re-designed in two stages, one in 1738-39 and the other in 1752-56. The work consisted in building rooms with arched roofs to support the terreplein. Previously, the terreplein had been supported by beams. The completion of the work left the interior of the Castillo substantially in the shape that it still remains.

-30-