<%BANNER%>
NEH USACH
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/USACH00009/00004
 Material Information
Title: Milestones in the History of Government House
Series Title: Government House Archaeological Excavation Documents
Physical Description: Mixed Material
Publisher: City of St. Augustine Archaeological Program
 Record Information
Source Institution: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier: West Plaza Lot
System ID: USACH00009:00004

Full Text





MILESTONES IN THE HISTORY OF GOVERNMENT HOUSE


1598 Governor Canzo moves governor's office into his wooden
private residence.

1604 Spanish Crown purchases house for offices and living
quarters

1690 Two-story, Government House of local shellstone, coquina,
replaces building that served for almost a century

1702 After an unsuccessful 50-day siege, English troops from
Carolina burn Government House and St. Augustine's other
buildings as they retreat

1713 Report of coronation festival documents a rebuilt
Government House, where governor provides drinks and sweets
in courtyard and tosses coins from balcony to crowd below

1761 Semicircular masonry defensive bulwark erected to protect
rear of lot

176? Governor Grant moves into Government House after Spain
cedes Florida to Great Britain in treaty agreements. He
adds a new stable and coach house

1784 Government House refurbished as Spanish rule returns to
Florida. Masonry exterior is whitewashed and woodwork
painted light ochre

1811 Governor refuses to live in Government House because of
deteriorated condition.

1821 U.S. takes over Florida; American Army officers host
"slendid ball" for Spanish residents held in Government
House

1834 U.S. Government remodels Government House, retaining old
east and south walls and recycling blocks from old walls


1864 Federal troops quartered in Government House during Civil
War

1871 Semi-circular bastion, built by Spanish, destroyed for
street widening

1936 Post Office Dept. reconstructs Government House with
facade and deatiling reminiscent of 1764 painting