Group Title: Jekyll Village restoration proposed master plan
Title: Jekyll Island brochure
ALL VOLUMES CITATION THUMBNAILS PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00100882/00003
 Material Information
Title: Jekyll Island brochure
Series Title: Jekyll Village restoration proposed master plan
Physical Description: Archival
Language: English
Creator: Beedle, Roget K.
Publisher: Jekyll Island State Park Authority
Place of Publication: Jekyll Island, Ga.
 Subjects
Subject: Architecture -- Florida   ( lcsh )
Architecture -- Caribbean Area   ( lcsh )
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00100882
Volume ID: VID00003
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Full Text
JEKI1L
P ISLAND
GEORGIA 1

















BOAT DOCK ~-


'INDIAN MOUND"


"MISTLETOE COTTAGE" 1901
H.K. Porter
John Claflin


F.H. Goodyear


PULITZER-ALBRIGHT SITE


E.V. Macy






This lovely island, one of the six
"golden isles of Georgia" lies
just off the coast near Bruns-
wick. It is approximately 10 miles long
and 11/2 miles wide at it's widest point
and includes some 3,500 acres of useable
land surrounded by about 10,000 acres
of marsh.
A peep into history reveals that French
Huguenots visited Jekyll in 1562 and
named the island "lie de la Somme".
They did not tarry long and four years
later, 1566, the Spanish arrived, estab-
lished a mission called 'San Buenaven-
tura' and settled down to stay.
You can safely speculate the Spanish
got along reasonably well with the
Guale indians for they stayed for almost
two hundred years eventually to be de-
feated by General Oglethorpe and the
British in 1742.
Now the British were primarily in-
terested in colonization hence their ex-
pulsion of the Spanish. General Ogle-
thorpe, in command, was responsible
for influencing the English to take up
residence in what is now the state of
Georgia and it was he who discarded the
Indian name 'Ospo' and named the is-
land 'Jekyll' in honor of his good friend
Sir Joseph Jekyll. Furthermore he es-
tablished an outpost on Jekyll with a
permanent residence and appointed
Major William Horton to command. The
house, a two story building constructed
of tabby concrete, is still standing.
During the next half century the Spa-
nish relaxed their efforts to expand
northward and the developing American
revolution occupied the British so in
1791 Jekyll was acquired (peacefully
this time) by four French adventurers
who had formerly lived on the nearby
island of Sapelo.
A fantastic series of real estate trans-
actions followed that culminated in own-
ership of the entire island by Cristopher
Poulain du Bignon, one of the original
Frenchmen.
And so Jekyll remained in possession
of the du Bignon family for nearly
another century but this came to an end
in 1886, when they sold Jekyll Island to
the Jekyll Club for $125,000.
An end of the War between the States
introduced an era of tremendous indus-
trial expansion. Oil was discovered and
methods of refining invented, railroads
were pushed across the country, agri-
cultural machinery transformed the


farm, the telephone and other com-
munications systems were developed
and all together endless demands for
goods and services created opportunities
for founding tremendous fortunes.
Think of it! Think of some of the
names, Rockefeller, Morgan, McCor-
mick, Vanderbilt, Flick, Gould, Pulitizer.
Two of the most prestigious million-
aires in the country one day created the
Jekyll Club for the purpose of estab-
lishing an exclusive resort, "secluded
and warm enough to bask in the sun
during the severe months of January,
February and March." After diligent
search Jekyll Island was selected and
it was a boast that "no unwanted foot
ever touched the island."
Immediately after the Club was or-
ganized plans were made and the first
section of the Club House constructed
under extremely adverse conditions.
Members were always encouraged to
stay at the Club but a few built 'cott-
ages' in later years. Dining and social
activities however, continued at the
club. Visitors were called 'strangers'
and their stay limited to two weeks.
During its existence the Jekyll Club
must indeed, have furnished its mem-
bers a marvelous opportunity for relaxa-
tion and separation from the hectic
world of business and finance. Life at
Jekyll was unostentatious, quiet and
free from turmoil but like all things it
came to an end in 1942.
The Jekyll Club declined not because
of financial difficulties but thru lack of
interest of the younger generations.
They had their own worlds to conquer,
their own fortunes to make or to be con-
tent to live on fortunes already created
for them. Then, too World War II ex-
ploded which greatly curtailed club
activities.
So the "greatest of the country's social
islands" to quote Cleveland Amory
come to an end and all the property was
sold to the State of Georgia in 1947 for
$650,000.
Since then Jekyll has become a popu-
lar resort. Full accommodations are pro-
vided by nine motels, there are 3-18 hole
and 1-9 hole golf courses, tennis, boat-
ing, fishing and sightseeing. Nine miles
of excellent beach, never crowded,
make for adequate water sports.
Jekyll may be reached by automobile
over a causeway from U.S. 17 or by air
to Brunswick, St. Simons or Jackson-
ville. Do come for a visit.






















"VILLA OSPO"
Home of Walter Jennings


Charles S. Maurice


"VILLA MARIANNA"


"CHEROKEE"- 1905
Dr. Geo. Shrady
Dr. W. B. James


GOULD AUDITORIUM


"SAN SOUCI" APARTMENTS 1897


INDOOR TENNIS COURTS






'Discover
I-istotrcal
cAMtillionaires
'Village
-"


31-03-30


MAP OF
OLD VILLAGE
JEKYLL ISLAND STATE PARK
JEKYLL ISLAND, GEORGIA


10











ILLUSTRATIONS COURTESY OF
GIBSON-GRIFFITH PUBLICATIONS


JEKYLL ISLAND STATE PARK AUTHORITY
214 TRINITY -WASHINGTON BUILDING
ATLANTA, GEORGIA 30334




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs