OGLETHORPE BATTERY PARK INSPECTION 12/12/88
Partial text of marker:
Oglethorpe bombarded Castillo de San Marcos from June 27th to
July 20th, 1740.
The site is marked with a hewn coquina shell obilisk rising from
a square-in-plan base. The base has bronze tablets set in all
four sides. The south and east tablets are secured with bronze
lag bolts, the other two are held in place with special flat head
Tablet text follows:
West tablet Site of El Pozo. Main battery with which General
Olglethorpe shelled Castillo de San Marcos during his seige of
St. Aaugustine, June-July 1740. This monument erected by the St.
Augustine Historical Society and Institute of Science.
South tablet Governor Manuel de Montiano made wise defence -
city's inhabitants and garrison crowded in the fort faced
starvation until relief eluded the English blockade.
East tablet This park is property of St. Augustine Historical
Society and Institute of Science. AD 1938
North tablet Besieging forces including Georgia and Carolina
provincial militia, Indians and English fleet failed to reduce
City after 29 days siege and withdrew.
The coquina monument has no protective finish. The surface has
eroded to a considerable extent. Extensive repointing was noted
in the upper two/thirds of the obilisk proper. The monument rests
on or is surrounded by a stepped, exposed aggregate poured
concrete foundation which, in turn, is surrounded with a shell
agregate concrete slab. Paving of eight inch square red tile
extend from the concrete pad in four directions. They are
approximately 24 tile wide by 30 tile deep. The tile are
apparently laid in sand and are relatively flat,although some
displacement was noted on the west side. A goodly number of the
tile are laid with the groved side up.
There is a large amount of what appears to be calcium carbonate
deposited on the foundation steps. This material is apparently
being leached from the coquina during heavy rains and is
redeposited by evaporation.
A circular, exposed coquina watch house with a domed roof is
located in the south east corner of the property. It is assumed
that this is a reconstruction dating from approximately the same
time as the monument. Firing slots are located around the
perimeter and a door is let into the southeast side. This door is
constructed of plywood and shows some deterioration. The hardware
securing the door is inappropriate. Attempts have been made to
sumulate strap hinges but it is unsuccessful.
The structure is currently used to house an irrigation pump and
associated controls. Power is supplied to the pump via a
temporary service pole set near the structure. Feed is
underground in PVC conduit. The pole location is inappropriate.
The walls and dome show some evidence of surface erosion but not
to the extent of the monument. There are several large
depressions in the dome and what appears to be rebar is exposed
in one of these.
The remnants of the earthenwork battery is stabilized by sod.
Several large trees are also growing around the perimeter.
The ground cover on the site has a high percentage of weeds.
There is an automated sprinkler system installed.