Group Title: Historic St. Augustine: Plaza: Constitution Monument
Title: Constitution Monument
ALL VOLUMES CITATION MAP IT! PAGE IMAGE ZOOMABLE
Full Citation
STANDARD VIEW MARC VIEW
Permanent Link: http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00095508/00031
 Material Information
Title: Constitution Monument
Series Title: Historic St. Augustine: Plaza: Constitution Monument
Physical Description: Research notes
Language: English
Publication Date: 1956
Physical Location:
Box: 8
Divider: Plaza - General Info.
Folder: Plaza: Constitution Monument
 Subjects
Subject: Saint Augustine (Fla.)
Plaza de la Constitucion (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Constitution Plaza (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Spatial Coverage: North America -- United States of America -- Florida -- Saint Johns -- Saint Augustine
Coordinates: 29.892493 x -81.312335
 Record Information
Bibliographic ID: UF00095508
Volume ID: VID00031
Source Institution: University of Florida
Holding Location: University of Florida
Rights Management: All rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.

Full Text





CJA6TITUTION MONUM iENT


Erected in 1813, this monument was one of many erected in
Spanish Uities to commemorate the liberal Spanish Constitution
of 1812. The ilaza of St. Augustine is named Plaza de la
Constitucion" after this monument. In 1814, this constitution
was revoked and t? he onuments ordered dismantled. Here, only
the tablets r ,oved and lat,-r replaced.

The oricgi'l tolet on the cast side has been covered with
glass for protection. The tablet on the west side is a replica
made to preserve the text of th6 original. The translation of
the text is as follows:


PLAZA OF TtIE CONSTITUTION

Proclaimed in this City of St. Augustine, East Florida

On the seventeenth day of October, 1912

During the Covernorship of

Brigadier Don Sebastian Kindelan

Knight of the Order of zantiago

The Constitutional Council has raised this monument

As an everlasting memorial

Under the supervision of

Don Fernando de la Maza Arredondo, the Younger

Dean of the Council and

Don Francisco Robira

Attorney general

1813




The preservative measures were undertaken by the St. Augustine
Historical Society, which also placed a bronze marker at the base
of the monument in 1955.


December, 1956




University of Florida Home Page
© 2004 - 2010 University of Florida George A. Smathers Libraries.
All rights reserved.

Acceptable Use, Copyright, and Disclaimer Statement
Last updated October 10, 2010 - - mvs